Have you ever stopped to think what is in those Magic Bands Disney is passing out like candy?

I have.

Fortunately, I don't have to rip one open to find out.  A friendly geek has done all the work for us.

Here's an interesting site with photos showing what's inside: http://atdisneyagain.com/2014/01/27/making-the-band-magicband-teardown-and-more/

TCD

Really surprised to see that it's an active device, with a battery and all! I would have thought it was nothing more than the passive, inventory control type devices like you find in expensive books at B&N. It's a shame that my custom band will one day die. Oh well.

Have you ever stopped to think what is in those Magic Bands

No!

Fortunately, I don't have to rip one open to find out. 

No need to rip one apart, what's in the MB is described in the FCC application which has been made public.

somewhere there is a screen where they are watching us like ants.

Of course they are, but it's not screen, it's screens, as in hundreds of them.

There are probably close to a hundred of them in bus transportation alone.

There is, and has been for years, video surveillance cameras all over WDW, but they have absolutely nothing to do with the MB.

Really surprised to see that it's an active device, with a battery and all! I would have thought it was nothing more than the passive, inventory control type devices like you find in expensive books at B&N. It's a shame that my custom band will one day die. Oh well.

The active device that requires the battery is a longer range radio which I was recently told in writing by a high ranking Disney official, that they will not be used to track specific guests.

The RFID Tag, which is usually, and incorrectly referred to as a chip, it's not a chip, is passive, and requires no electricity.

No need to rip one apart, what's in the MB is described in the FCC application which has been made public.

Maybe so, but not all of us are engineers.  And probably most of us are not regular readers of FCC applications,.

I think it's interesting to see how much technology is incorporated in the Magic Bands.  It's not just a chip in a bracelet.

I wonder what each one of these costs to make?  And, they just hand them out over and over to Resort Guests.  We've already received three sets.

TCD

Maybe so, but not all of us are engineers.  And probably most of us are not regular readers of FCC applications,.

Not you knucklehead, the idiot that wrote the article. That is unless they're allowing you to have sharp objects again.

I think it's interesting to see how much technology is incorporated in the Magic Bands.  It's not just a chip in a bracelet.

I wonder what each one of these costs to make? 

When I first started using RFID Tags many years ago for industrial automaton purposes, they cost dollars each, but now they're pennies a piece, maybe even less.

My guess is that the most expensive item in the MB is the radio and the battery.

When I first started using RFID Tags many years ago for industrial automaton purposes, they cost dollars each, but now they're pennies a piece, maybe even less.

My guess is that the most expensive item in the MB is the radio and the battery.

There's quite a bit of copper in there to, which is not cheap.

I'm sure these are assembled very efficiently in a place where workers are exploited, but still, the per unit cost must be significant.

TCD

As many as Disney uses, I bet they are less than 25 cents apiece

Could be.

As Lou pointed out, the RFID tags are cheap.  Heck, they are putting them in the paper cups at the quick serve drink machines.  The rest of that stuff, though, has some cost to it.

But you're right- the way they're passing them out they can't cost them much.  Then again, I keep forgetting that we, the guests, are the ones who will ultimately pay for the waste.  Not Disney.

TCD

There's quite a bit of copper in there to, which is not cheap.

You can buy a roll of generic RFID Tags for about 17 cents each. Imagine what Disney pays for them in the quantities that they deal in.

What you're seeing is not solid copper, and it's so thin that the cost of the copper is tiny.

As a comparison, how much gold, silver, and copper is in the various electronic devices we have?

As many as Disney uses, I bet they are less than 25 cents apiece

Is that for the MB or just the RFID Tag?

How innocent you all are! It's obvious this device has the ability to control your thoughts!

How innocent you all are! It's obvious this device has the ability to control your thoughts!

I bet that's what behind my sudden interest in It's a small world and Captain EO and my attitude about the new cinnamon rolls in the MK.

OMG.  No wonder I can't boycott Starbucks.  They are controlling my mind. 

Bobby is the best!

I love Magic Bands.

And FP+.

Best thing ever.

Where can I send Disney some more money?  I think the prices for Fort campsites are too low.

TCD

Then again, I keep forgetting that we, the guests, are the ones who will ultimately pay for the waste.  Not Disney.

TCD

Ticket prices go up $4.00 tomorrow.  Looks like TCD is right.

Checking my magic bands for my coming trip and this was on the page.

The MagicBand uses radio frequency (RF) technology and can be read by short and long-range readers located at the Walt Disney World Resort. If you prefer to use an RF card, which cannot be detected by long-range readers, you can request an RF card at your Disney Resort hotel, and you do not need to customize your MagicBand.

...As Lou pointed out, the RFID tags are cheap.  Heck, they are putting them in the paper cups at the quick serve drink machines.  The rest of that stuff, though, has some cost to it.

I'm betting the packaging costs a heck of a lot more than the bands - even when they put 5 of them in a box.  Then throw the shipping costs on top of that - especially now that it looks like EVERY guest staying on property will get a set shipped to them for EVERY trip...

I bet that's what behind my sudden interest in It's a small world and Captain EO and my attitude about the new cinnamon rolls in the MK.

I need to go register the domain name TinFoilHats.com... I'm going to make a killing!

tinfoil.gif

Checking my magic bands for my coming trip and this was on the page.

The MagicBand uses radio frequency (RF) technology and can be read by short and long-range readers located at the Walt Disney World Resort. If you prefer to use an RF card, which cannot be detected by long-range readers, you can request an RF card at your Disney Resort hotel, and you do not need to customize your MagicBand.

:welcome: