Filling in part of the moat around Cinderella's Castle... a sign of more things to come?

Didn't see a post here in the construction forum so I wanted to mention it.

Interesting discussion going on in another forum about the draining of the moat around the castle and filling in of part of it by Casey's Corner (the first aid area) and the opposite side heading towards Tomorrowland. It appears they are creating FP+ viewing areas in addition to expanding the walkways.

FP+ is here to stay whether we like it or not...

Here's a link: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/moats-around-cinderella-castle-to-be-drained-for-refurbishment-starting-tomorrow.880663/

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere here. There are some good overlays in this thread showing the size of the infill and expansion, along with details of the FP+ areas.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's Plaza Garden East, but it is the private viewing location for Kanye West, the West family and assorted Kardashians.  

That's a fascinating video there, Jason.    I took the final view from that video and set it side by side with a satellite image from Google.  It's remarkable how much this is going to change that are

People suck.     I think TCD's last post just made a light bulb go off in my head.     It's not so much the Mouse that sucks....it's the DAMN GUESTS!     Sure, Disney's greed is a contributing factor,

Thanks for posting this. It isn't something that I had heard about.

I'm not sure I understand why this is a big issue to anyone. It seems like a great idea. New walkways are good. And more places with a clear view of the fireworks/castle show are good. If part of the moat has to go, so be it.

TCD

What he said. I'm pro being able to move more.

Thanks for posting this.  It isn't something that I had heard about.

I'm not sure I understand why this is a big issue to anyone.  It seems like a great idea.  New walkways are good.  And more places with a clear view of the fireworks/castle show are good.  If part of the moat has to go, so be it.

TCD

Good idea!

Are you kidding me?

Where the heck I'm I going to able to dive for coins if they fill in the moat?

I need the extra money to pay for all these price increases.

The swan boats were never coming back anyways.  I say fill in the entire moat and put in reclining theater seating for the castle projection and fireworks shows.

Can you imagine what they would charge for that. And they would call it the Lazy man party show. Complete with Bufflalo wings, popcorn, pretzels, peanuts, and Beer( Root beer)

Its not a big deal. Part of the plan is to open up areas to ease congestion. I fact, over by the first aid/baby care area, the railings that use to keep people out of the grass are gone and people can now sit on the grass and watch the fireworks. The only part of the moat that may be filled in will be by Crystal palace and the smoking area by the plaza. Just enough to add a walkway.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-25-at-1.41.58-PM-640

This is a guesstemation of what may come. Not much of a change and all that grass will be available to sit on.

Its not a big deal. Part of the plan is to open up areas to ease congestion. I fact, over by the first aid/baby care area, the railings that use to keep people out of the grass are gone and people can now sit on the grass and watch the fireworks.

This is good and useful information. That is currently a great spot to watch the castle show and fireworks. If the railing is down, then there's a lot of space there. But, is there anything to keep guests from falling in the moat?

Screen-Shot-2014-02-25-at-1.41.58-PM-640

This is a guesstemation of what may come. Not much of a change and all that grass will be available to sit on.

That's a much bigger change than I thought. There's a whole new pathway there leading to the Plaza Restaurant. And that whole paved outer circle around the hub is new. Anywhere along there would be a good place to watch the fireworks.

TCD

The railing around the moat is still there. Its the railings around the grassy areas that are gone. Like the one by the outside eating area at Casey's. there's also talk (aka rumor) that the tress will be either severely trimmed or taken out to open viewing up even more. Loose the dead space caused by the trees and bushes. They will be replaced by low bushes and topiaries.

Looking at that picture if it ends up being accurate it looks like the rose garden is going to be gone. Any word on that Dave. Sil loves that area. 

Again, that picture is just a guess. Not sure on how the plans will really turn out. So no, no word on the rose garden. That is one of our highest grossing positions in DPI. It would be a shame to loose that.

That's a fascinating video there, Jason. 

I took the final view from that video and set it side by side with a satellite image from Google.  It's remarkable how much this is going to change that area.  Although I imagine within a short time the average guest won't even notice the difference.  Diehards sure will, at least for a while. 

On the left is what it is projected to look like.  On the right is what it has looked like.  There is going to be a lot more concrete....translating to a lot more area to disperse the crowds both during fireworks, and just moving around, in particular when the hub is closed off for a parade or show. 

hub.jpg

That's a fascinating video there, Jason. 

I took the final view from that video and set it side by side with a satellite image from Google.  It's remarkable how much this is going to change that area.  Although I imagine within a short time the average guest won't even notice the difference.  Diehards sure will, at least for a while. 

On the left is what it is projected to look like.  On the right is what it has looked like.  There is going to be a lot more concrete....translating to a lot more area to disperse the crowds both during fireworks, and just moving around, in particular when the hub is closed off for a parade or show. 

hub.jpg

Great job on the photo comparison Dave.

This is a huge project.  The blog says it won't be completed until 2015.

As I said earlier, though, I'm not against any of this -I think it's a great idea.

TCD

I know its a small detail compared to the scope of the project, but did anyone notice the gazebos near the castle where the sound equipment and lighting controls are? And the light towers that are next to the castle? They are getting a make over as well to bring them more into the castle theme rather than the MS theme.

I know its a small detail compared to the scope of the project, but did anyone notice the gazebos near the castle where the sound equipment and lighting controls are? And the light towers that are next to the castle? They are getting a make over as well to bring them more into the castle theme rather than the MS theme.

That is actually one of the first things I noticed.  The little structure to the left as you face the castle is one that I've paid attention to a couple of times lately.  It has a water fountain in it, but otherwise, seems to have no purpose.  But, if you watch, CM's wheel full trash cans behind it and disappear.  I figure it must be an entrance to the Utilidors.  Most guests walk by and pay it no attention, but they're not fooling me.  The proposed makeover makes these structures blend in much better.

TCD

I totally missed it, thanks for pointing it out.  Looks much better this way.  I really like the total project which as others have pointed out will clear up congestion in this area a lot.

That is actually one of the first things I noticed.  The little structure to the left as you face the castle is one that I've paid attention to a couple of times lately.  It has a water fountain in it, but otherwise, seems to have no purpose.  But, if you watch, CM's wheel full trash cans behind it and disappear.  I figure it must be an entrance to the Utilidors.  Most guests walk by and pay it no attention, but they're not fooling me.  The proposed makeover makes these structures blend in much better.

TCD

Which structure are you referring to?

I am assuming the Gazebo type structure.

This building is multi purpose. On the top houses the sound boards and light controls for the castle stage. Anytime you see a show on the stage, look at the roof of that building, you will see the techs sitting up there.

The bottom, in addition to the water fountains, is the custodial area. Inside is where the hub custodial crew work out of. There are several of these bases all around the parks. There is a port where they can dispose of the trash into the vac system that then transports it to the central collection facility, a mile away. They also store supplies and equipment in there. There is no utilidor entrance in there though.