The TCD Gang Springs Forward at the Fort- A Spring Break 2014 TR

Probably Aiken.  But a greyhound ride from FL to SC will not have them feeling humorous when they arrive.  Trust me.  I've done it in reverse.

Yeah, but I'm sure it would be a character building experience.  And maybe a little safer than hitch-hiking. A little.

I'll work on the details and let you know when to expect them.

TCD

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, leave Beckers alone, she knows exactly what she's doing. She's my new favorite Fiend.

I have seen them training docking at the Fort. That provided one of the best photos I've ever taken    

I love Agents of Shield. It's really the only show we watch as a family. They are getting ready to start a 7 episode run to the season finale this week! Can't wait! Off topic but my 10 year old dd is

Yeah, but I'm sure it would be a character building experience.  And maybe a little safer than hitch-hiking. A little.

I'll work on the details and let you know when to expect them.

TCD

Ok if this is a character building experience then fine.  Just don't expect humor building AND character building. :))

I will be standing at the station waiting. 

Ok if this is a character building experience then fine.  Just don't expect humor building AND character building. :))

I will be standing at the station waiting. 

I may have to think this through some more.

I'm not sure how I'll be able to trick them to get on the bus.

So, don't go to the station yet.  I'll let you know.

TCD

Continuing on.

It's kind of cold here in Florida this morning.  Looking at the weather, it's likely that it's an even colder day wherever it is that you might be reading this update.

We are picking up with photos that were taken last Friday morning, March 7.  I was touring the Fort in shorts and a t-shirt, and the sun was rapidly rising, and it was getting warm.

Instead of shivering and looking at snow and hating life, I was walking down the little path that goes from the old River Country ticket window down to Clementine's Beach.  And I was admiring the glorious orange flowers of the flame vine high up in the pines:

3614168_zps29fd3577.jpg

3614169_zps20c3baa9.jpg

3614170_zps5d194664.jpg

As you may know, the name Florida is derived from the name that Ponce De Leon gave to the land that he discovered for Spain:  La Florida.  Which means the land of flowers.  Such a nice dainty name.  Which is kind of surprising, since old Ponce seemed primarily concerned with murdering the people who were living in this land that he allegedly discovered.  Anyway, it must have been neat to tour Florida back in those days, and see flowers growing everywhere.  Like I am seeing this morning.  First, there were those purple flowers overflowing on that fence, and now these orange ones covering the pine trees.  Much better than snow and ice.

Here's the end of the path that I am walking:

3614171_zpscbb49113.jpg

And here's good old Clementine's Beach:

3614172_zpsc29d1fee.jpg

I was a little worried about the guy who rides the little tractor and rakes the beach every morning.  It looks like he got a bit of the raking done, but never finished:

3614173_zps6e41a4c1.jpg

Did you see the top of Pioneer Hall there in that last photo?

If not, pay attention.

And slow down.

Enjoy yourself.

No need to hurry.

The volley ball net is missing:

3614174_zpsfbc99bd5.jpg

The dock here at this corner of the beach is where they keep the boats that are used for the Bay Lake fishing excursions.  The signs say only castmembers are allowed.  Rude:

3614175_zpsd876df4c.jpg

You already saw in an earlier photo how the beach was only partially raked this morning.  Now, get a load of this- it looks like the beach rake guy went nuts and did donuts on the beach over there:

3614176_zps50a1019c.jpg

I hate to disparage the BRG (Beach Raker Guy), but what other conclusion can we draw other than he showed up to work this morning drunk?

I hope he feels better soon.

There was a small group of ducks over there enjoying the lake.  I guess they haven't heard about what they're serving at the France food booth for the Flower and Garden Festival this year:

3614177_zps399e70ad.jpg

Here's a look at the Fort Wilderness marina from here:

3614178_zps1bc9f6b5.jpg

You see that sandwich board sign over there at the end of the pavement?:

3614179_zpsc80895b4.jpg

It says no golf carts on the beach.  Back when my good friend Brian ran things, you couldn't even drive your golf cart on that pavement.  Things have been slipping around the Fort ever since Brian went to the big Fort in the sky.

At this point, I had figured that I had seen enough of the River Country/Clementine's Beach area of the Fort, and it was time to move on.  Plus, it was near 8 am, and than meant I could join the rush of caffeine addicts looking for a cup of coffee at the Meadow Trading Post.  The morning was so pretty, that I figured I ought to get my Bob's dock photos out of the way.  Who knows what it would be like tomorrow or the next day?

And, just like that, we are now at another one of my favorite places at the Fort.  The back porch of the Meadow Trading Post.  Look, there's Bob's Dock and Bear Rock now:

3614180_zpsa6410da4.jpg

This is as brutal as winter gets in Florida-we have to endure bare trees for about a month.  These gum trees will be sprouting new leaves very soon.  But, today they're bare:

3614181_zpsac9ee95e.jpg

There may be some folks reading along who don't know about Bear Rock. Bear Rock is the rock closest to us in this photo.  It looks just like a bear's head popping out of the water.  Especially after a few beers:

3614182_zps60c37dec.jpg

And here's a little known fact- if you ever drink one of those beers in a green bottle that DIT brings to the Fort, that bear will talk to you.

Just like the Country Bears.

Only a lot scarier.  And very weird.  And, you won't remember a thing the bear says.

As a mater of fact, forget I said any thing about that.  And if DIT ever offers you a beer in a green bottle, politely decline.

Everyone knows about Bob's Dock.  That dock there belongs to Bob.  You must have his permission to use it.  If Bob's at the Fort, that's where you'll find him.  Except for early in the morning ( which I believe Bob defines as before noon).  And when he's out zipping around on his Philadelphia Phillies golf cart (every time he does that, he will be gone for hours).  The rest of the time, he's on the dock.  Feeding the fish.  And eating chicken skin.  If you ever see anyone other than Bob on the dock, it's your Fiendly duty to confront them and forcibly remove them if necessary.  Luckily for me, I didn't have to get tough with anyone on the dock today.

Another feature here behind the Trading Post besides Bob's Dock and Bear Rock is Bob's Bobber Tree.  It's like Charlie Brown's Kite Eating Tree, but only it eats bobbers.  Well, it doesn't actually eat the bobbers, it just steals them and displays them to taunt the dummies who fish near it.  That tree closest to the water there is Bob's Bobber Tree:

3614183_zps0d7f6843.jpg

This is Bob's Dock:

3614184_zpsdfd11595.jpg

Any questions?

What's that?

Someone said "show me the bobbers!"

OK.

Look around the center of this photo-a little to the left:

3614185_zps438b7ea4.jpg

You can really see the bobbers when Bob's Bobber Tree drops its leaves:

3614186_zpse225c3e6.jpg

3614187_zps1679581e.jpg

3614188_zps47f64b92.jpg

And here's a news flash for you:  Bob's Bobber Tree is diversifying.  Branching out even (pun intended). Look, it's eating lures now too:

3614189_zpse3387381.jpg

Look at how many bobbers there are on just this one branch:

3614190_zps8a4b3dbe.jpg

Look, I hate to stereotype, but what does this tell us about the intelligence level of people who fish?  You see how many bobbers there are up in that branch, right?  So why would you fish here?  Bob's Bobber Tree laughs at you fools.

Enough Bob and Bobber Tree talk.

Let's take a look at one of my other favorite places in the Fort- the footbridge that goes from the 600 loop over to the campfire area:

3614191_zps2d9c77b4.jpg

Hey!  That danged Bob's Bobber Tree photobombed that photo with some of its bobbers there in the top right corner!

Look at the reflection of the trees by the Bike Barn in this photo- if you look carefully, you can see that they are beginning to spout leaves.  Our brutal Florida winter is over!:

3614192_zpsf351651e.jpg

Look at the nice green grass around the Meadow Trading Post:

3614193_zpsd0260c7d.jpg

I needed a better photo of that footbridge.  One without bobbers (no offense to Bob's Bobber Tree), so I snuck out onto Bob's Dock (good thing Bob doesn't read trip reports), and snapped this photo:

3614194_zps4d30fe45.jpg

Look at that!

Beautiful!

That was taken at the Fort exactly one week ago.

I know that a lot most of all of you think that Bob has a screw loose, but just look at that view.  I don't blame him for hanging out on his dock all day.

Here's a last look at Bob's Dock from across the pond:

3614196_zps70a768fd.jpg

And, a look down the canal from the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post- the pool is on the left, and the 1300 loop on the right:

3614197_zps3f762a89.jpg

From here, I headed back to camp.

It was time to get the girls going.

We were going to head to Epcot around 11.

Where I would search for the elusive Caprese Push Pop.

Spoiler Alert:  I found one.

TCD

Awesome update.

The bobber tree has a lot more bobbers than I remember from December.

Bob's dock does provide a gorgeous view.

Your Ponce DeLeon comments almost made me spew my coffee on the screen.

I have often wondered why we celebrate Christopher Columbus when:

1. He didn't discover anything let alone America

2. He and his heinous band of hooligans murdered and raped pretty much everything they saw.

Great.

Name a national holiday after him and give government workers the day off.

Really, we can't come up with a better person to name a day after?

Like Pee Wee Herman or OJ Simpson maybe.

Okay.....soapbox rant over......please continue sir.

Probably Aiken.  But a greyhound ride from FL to SC will not have them feeling humorous when they arrive.  Trust me.  I've done it in reverse.

I took a bus trip from Boston to Augusta.  It was pretty horrible.  I would wait and wait for a rest stop rather than use the bathroom on the bus, only to find the restroom at the rest stop pretty awful.  The worst part was getting back on a bus to go back home again.  Maybe the twins could take the train to Columbia?

I would love the be the BRG Beach Raker Girl.  And I would totally do donuts on the beach perfectly sober. :))

Now, there's a life goal if I ever heard one!

Follow your dreams!

Pretty!

Thanks.

But, I need to remind you that I'm married.

Awesome update.

The bobber tree has a lot more bobbers than I remember from December.

Bob's dock does provide a gorgeous view.

Your Ponce DeLeon comments almost made me spew my coffee on the screen.

I have often wondered why we celebrate Christopher Columbus when:

1. He didn't discover anything let alone America

2. He and his heinous band of hooligans murdered and raped pretty much everything they saw.

Great.

Name a national holiday after him and give government workers the day off.

Really, we can't come up with a better person to name a day after?

Like Pee Wee Herman or OJ Simpson maybe.

Okay.....soapbox rant over......please continue sir.

That is a dam good soapbox rant!

Well, done!

Bob's Bobber Tree is sneaky.  You can't really see all those bobbers until all the leaves fall.  And, they're only all gone for a very short time.  In fact, I'll bet that demon tree has new leaves growing on it already.

Side note- one of the TCD girls took a college history class covering some of the real history of Florida. It's horrific what the explorers did to the native people. Actually, horrific isn't a strong enough word.

I took a bus trip from Boston to Augusta.  It was pretty horrible.  I would wait and wait for a rest stop rather than use the bathroom on the bus, only to find the restroom at the rest stop pretty awful.  The worst part was getting back on a bus to go back home again.  Maybe the twins could take the train to Columbia?

That sounds like a very educational and enlightening experience.  So, why would I want to send the twins on a nice, clean train?  How would they learn anything from that?

TCD

That sounds like a very educational and enlightening experience.  So, why would I want to send the twins on a nice, clean train?  How would they learn anything from that?

TCD

Believe me!  The train is an education is its own right!  Ask Kimmie and Loretta about our experiences on the train.  Just don't believe any stories about a sailor. 

It appears to be a slow day here on FF.net.  There is a large contingent of Fiends descending on a campground somewhere, so that explains most of it.

But, what about everyone else?

You need something to read, right?

No worries-here's another update.

Enjoy.

But after you're done with this, I'm out until Monday.  Use this time to catch up on Aaron's TR.  And some others that you haven't read.

We left off in the area of the Bike Barn.  I have three more photos from there to share.  Two are of my favorite sycamore tree.  It is without leaves for now, but spring is coming:

3614195_zps8e3f905a.jpg

3614198_zpsd59d2b75.jpg

And, the last photo from behind the Meadow Trading Post is of the Bike Barn itself, as seen from across the way:

3614199_zps06c614f3.jpg

From here, it was back to the campsite, and I got the girls up and going.  While I waited for them to get ready, I hung out at our picnic table, had some more coffee, and tried to toast a bagel.

I noticed that the sign that said the trail behind the Settlement Trading Post was closed was now gone.  As was the plastic fence:

3614200_zps76eacb50.jpg

As you can see, there are no signs there at all at the moment.  Not even the old sign that said pedestrians only.  So, how could anyone yell at me if I drove a golf cart down that path?  How am I supposed to know?  I will be taking advantage of that later.

Here's another shot of the canal that runs along the back of the 100-300 loops.  It is usually full of green slime, but it looks great for now:

3614201_zps09b58ccb.jpg

Since I had the path on one side, and nobody behind my site, I really only had one neighbor.  It was this lady in site 113.  I chatted with her a few times over the course of our stay.  She's from Michigan, and has been at the Fort for a while.  She is chummy with the loop attendant, as you can see here:

3614202_zps34744410.jpg

You can see I have our ponchos hanging on the line there to dry.  I took them down later in the morning, and we didn't need them again for the rest of the trip.

Winning.

As mentioned, I tried to toast a bagel while I was waiting for the girls.  I was using my trusty toaster oven, which is also a cast-off from our kitchen at home.  We got it as a gift a few years back, and thought it might be a neat thing to have.  But, it took up too much room to justify taking up counter or cabinet space, so it had to go.  The toaster part of it was always slow.  Today, it seemed to have stopped working all together. I was fiddling with it, when I looked up and saw that I had a visitor.  It was Grumpy.  Dave.  From FF.net.  We had a nice little chat.  I thought I would see him and Grandma again on this trip.  But I never did.  At the time, I didn't know about Grumpy's Snow White cut-out issue.  Good thing. 

I am happy to report that I was still able to toast my bagel via the broiler setting on the toaster oven, so crisis averted.

The girls wanted a drink before we took off, so I volunteered for the drink run.  There were a lot of drink runs over the weekend.  And, I enjoyed each one.  It's sweet to just be able to walk over to Trail's End.

It seems like this area near the golf cart parking has been cleared out.  It looks nice, but I prefer the wilderness:

3614203_zps2801b1b6.jpg

Like this- this is the other side of that path.  I hope they don't clear this out:

3614204_zps8f2fc57a.jpg

Pioneer Hall- I love it:

3614205_zpsfc429fae.jpg

Finally, it was time to go.  So we rode the cart all the way up to the front, and hopped a bus to Epcot.

Of course, the Epcot bus was pulling up just as we arrived, so we had zero wait.  I don't know how that happens, but it does.  A lot.

This is the time of the year to enjoy the big azalea bushes that border the walkway to the Epcot resort bus stops:

3614206_zpsfea3cf1b.jpg

Some clouds rolled in during the late morning, and the temperature dropped a bit.  But, at least it didn't rain.  So I'll take it.  But I prefer the golf ball with blue sky in the background:

3614207_zpsb914c937.jpg

We were a little pressed for time, as the plan here was to hit some of the food booths and then take the boat to Hollywood Studios, where we had FP+ reservations.

Still, I insisted that our first stop had to be the Intermissions Café, where I wanted to try the new Caprese Push Pop.  Last year, they sold something called a Beet Lollipop here.  And it was an outrageous lie to call that thing a lollipop.  This year, the lollipop was gone, and instead they were pushing push pops (pun intended).  I had to see this for myself.

This is Intermissions Café.  Located in the old Wonders of Life pavilion.  It is never busy:

3614208_zpsa6fa8df9.jpg

One look at the menu will tell you why:

3614209_zpsf0c4281d.jpg

There it is!

The Caprese Push Pop.  Tomato, Mozzarella, and Balsamic.  For a dollar.  A dollar!  How could I not?

And, here it finally is:

3614212_zps90584f77.jpg

Now wait a dog gone minute.

What's all that green stuff?  That ain't tomato, mozzarella or balsamic?  So what is it?  I don't know.  I just pushed all of that into my mouth and ate it. 

It wasn't half bad.

Kind of like taking a bite of a salad. 

Better than a Beet Lollipop.

Which, of course, isn't saying much.

Still, what else can you get for a buck at Epcot?

Or anywhere else at WDW for that matter?

So, TCD gets CPPBR (Caprese Push Pop Bragging Rights).

While we were in this pavilion, we took a walk around.  There was a big presentation of some type going on:

3614223_zpse82b437a.jpg

3614225_zpse96104d1.jpg

The presenter was an Asian man. Apparently, he is some kind of BFD from the HGTV network.  He was asking the crowd trivia questions, such as who could name two of his children.  And people knew this!  I still have no idea who the guy was.

Over here in this little theater, they were looping a video about how they set up the Flower and Garden Festival- if you look at the screen in there, you can see that they're showing how they installed the topiaries at the Epcot entrance:

3614224_zpsd6c2d619.jpg

After the CPP, it was time to head out to the World Showcase and begin our grazing for real.

We walked past this display outside of Innoventions:

3614226_zps35c94b0a.jpg

3614227_zpsfe2e5321.jpg

3614228_zpsbd8a1e64.jpg

I actually find this kind of thing interesting, and probably could spend a day just wandering around and enjoying all of the educational displays they set up for the Flower and Garden Festival.  But the twins have zero interest in any of that, so we pressed on.

One more comment about those photos of the Gardner's Palette- notice how there are people bundled up in coats in the background.  It wasn't that cold.  I was fine in just a t-shirt and shorts.

The area that is the cranberry bog for the Food and Wine Festival is set up as a soccer field, with Goofy and Donald playing soccer.  I guess this has something to do with the World Cup:

3614229_zpsc704cb8d.jpg

The twins pointed out that the last time we saw this Goofy topiary, he had a scarf on and he was ice skating:

3614230_zpscc9e8476.jpg

I guess all of the balls around the field represent countries:

3614231_zps840f0d5e.jpg

One of my favorite things from the Flower and Garden Festival is the floating flower planters and the big beds of flowers that they plant.  Even if you don't have tickets to enter Epcot, you can see these by arriving at Epcot via monorail:

3614232_zps6543aa39.jpg

3614233_zps0a38866d.jpg

3614234_zpsead7a53e.jpg

For this year's festival, they have brought back the food booths, which were introduced last year.  Since this is a Flower and Garden Festival, they have planters outside each of the food booths with plants representing the food items served at that booth.  This is the planter outside of the first booth we stopped at.  Can you guess where we were from the plants?:

3614235_zps0b1db683.jpg

Hint- do you see the Pineapple?

Did you guess Pineapple Promenade?

Well, that's where we were.

Last year, this booth was sponsored by Dole, and they served Dole Whip.  This year, they are serving Pineapple Soft Serve.  I'm not sure if it's Dole Whip or not.  I think it is, but I don't know why they don't say so.

Anyway, we came here because the twins wanted the violet lemonade.  They tried it for the first time last year, and they loved it.  So we are back for more.

With, two violet lemonades in hand, we headed to the next booth.  There was something there I wanted to try:

3614237_zpsccb196cb.jpg

Did you read that?

Pickled Beets?  Who eats pickled beets?  Actually, I like them.  But, I am the only person I know who does.  However, I don't think I want any goat cheese cream on my pickled beets.  I mean, really.  Do they think someone would actually eat that?

Check out the next item.  A Land Grown Eggplant "Scallop."  Here's a tip for you- never eat something that uses quotation marks in the description.  Again, are they crazy?  A land scallop?

Now, look at the third item.  Ghost Pepper Dusted Tilapia.  Ghost Peppers?  Aren't those the ones that make people cry?  The hottest peppers there are?  And they're serving them in Epcot?  I had to try that.

So I did.

Check it out:

3614240_zps18aafd18.jpg

Looks good, doesn't it?

This is a new item.  Let me be the first to tell you.  It is good.  Really good.

I've come to realize that when Disney calls something spicy, it isn't anywhere near what I would consider to be spicy.  Same thing with this so called Ghost Pepper dust.  It did have some nice spice and flavor, but it was barely spicy/hot.  It was fine, though,  I don't want to have a burned mouth.  This was a very nice serving of fish, and very tasty.  I wouldn't hesitate to have it again.

Shoot.

I'm at the photo limit.

So you'll have to wait to hear about the Shrimp and Grits until the next update.

TCD

I took a bus trip from Boston to Augusta.  It was pretty horrible.  I would wait and wait for a rest stop rather than use the bathroom on the bus, only to find the restroom at the rest stop pretty awful.  The worst part was getting back on a bus to go back home again.  Maybe the twins could take the train to Columbia?

I hear ya.  I also took a bus from SC to MO.  I was solo mio and will not even comment on that experience.  At the time it seemed like an adventure but at this stage in lfe ... I'd rather not repeat the experience.  :))

Now, there's a life goal if I ever heard one!

Follow your dreams!

I see it this way.  I can ride on the beach raker and the scenery would never smb.    Seems like a great goal to me! 

KFK.... Beach Raker.  I like it.  ;D

I didn't know there was a Cafe in the old W.O.L pavillion!  And it's never crowded!?  That is good information right there.

I see it this way.  I can ride on the beach raker and the scenery would never smb.    Seems like a great goal to me! 

KFK.... Beach Raker.  I like it.   ;D

I didn't know there was a Cafe in the old W.O.L pavillion!  And it's never crowded!?  That is good information right there.

That pavilion is only open when for the Food and Wine Festival and the Flower and Garden Festival, so those are the only times the café is open.  But, with the extended dates, that is a good chunk of the year.

Most of that stuff sounds like stuff I would pass on.

Dole Whips are another story.

If it says Ghost pepper it should be hot.

I have always liked the floating planters too.

Looking forward to more on Monday.

Have a good weekend.

Go Gata.

The Flower and Garden food booths are nowhere near as busy at the Food and Wine ones.  Too many weird things if you ask me.

Go Gata indeed.  They're up just 29-27 on Mizzou at the moment.  There are rumors that Billy isn't going to try too hard in the SEC Tournament.  He doesn't want the team playing three games in a row leading up to Sunday.

TCD

I like pickled beets too...  but I would've passed on the other stuff...  Goat cheese cream ?  what ?  The fish looks very good.   I'm glad you enjoyed it.   It was also very kind of you to let me see that the one bobber that my daughter had graced the bobber tree with is still present.   See .. even if we are not there,  a piece of us remains at the fort.   Bobber  = $1.39     Bobber tree memories = Priceless

The earliest they could play in the NCAAs is Thursday.

Plenty of time to rest and regroup.

They are up 52-38 now.

Will Billy says it's not enough time.  Play on Sunday, fly back to Gainesville, find out where they're going (I guess Orlando) and then get there and be ready to play on Thursday.

He doesn't like it.

Yeah, the Gators took care of business today.  Like all season, they poured it on at the end.  I wish they would put teams away earlier.  It could come back to bite them.

I like pickled beets too...  but I would've passed on the other stuff...  Goat cheese cream ?  what ?  The fish looks very good.   I'm glad you enjoyed it.   It was also very kind of you to let me see that the one bobber that my daughter had graced the bobber tree with is still present.   See .. even if we are not there,  a piece of us remains at the fort.   Bobber  = $1.39     Bobber tree memories = Priceless

I'm glad you got to see your bobber.  You're right, $1.39 is totally worth it to have a piece of you at the Fort.

Pickled beets are good. So that makes 2 that likes them.

Well, it's three since the Big Kahuna and  I like them too.

How do you feel about goat cheese cream and land scallops?

TCD

Note to self: Save up lots of money. Stay at the Fort for the duration of the Flower and Garden Festival. Try every single thing on every menu.

Seriously, looking at just those couple of menus I would have trouble deciding on just one or two things. Even if I didn't think I'd like them some of the combinations sound so interesting I'd like to try them and find out for sure.

And on an unrelated note, was your campsite right near the VIP cabins? i thought I saw the corner of one in one photo.

I will be enjoying one of my green bottles of beer this afternoon...a nice Ukrainian one to stand in solidarity with our anti Putin brothers. I'll let you know if I experience any hallucinations.

Go Gata.

Oh sounds like a little day trippin, enjoy

All your photos of the new light poles made me think how happy this guy must be:

593.jpg

Brown Paint Guy is going to be busy for a while getting all those new poles to match