The TCD Gang Springs Forward at the Fort- A Spring Break 2014 TR

About that Volvo tent, I did a bit of research and was surprised to see how many car top tents there are out there!

This is a zoom on the logo of the Volvo tent:

tentlogo_zps5be816e5.jpg

I think it might be from this company:

http://www.cartopcamper.com/index_files/Private_Entry_2_Person_Roof_Top_Tent.htm

These are pretty cool items.

Very expensive, though.

TCD

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, leave Beckers alone, she knows exactly what she's doing. She's my new favorite Fiend.

I have seen them training docking at the Fort. That provided one of the best photos I've ever taken    

I love Agents of Shield. It's really the only show we watch as a family. They are getting ready to start a 7 episode run to the season finale this week! Can't wait! Off topic but my 10 year old dd is

Those are the TCD breakfast patented crispy crowns. Always a good choice.

That breakfast gets made every trip.

Without fail.

The only variation is links or patties.

So what kind of Disney Nerds does a meet up stir up?!? I'm assuming you had some good people watching?!?

Did you notice how the blog invited guests to "show your Muppet Side?"

Just you wait.

I expected a freak show.

And my expectations were met.

Actually, they were exceeded.

Yes, there are plenty of photos.

TCD

Did you notice how the blog invited guests to "show your Muppet Side?"

Just you wait.

I expected a freak show.

And my expectations were met.

Actually, they were exceeded.

Yes, there are plenty of photos.

TCD

I'm as giddy as a kid on Christmas morning! Or maybe like DIT/Aaron with a cinnamon roll!

3614361_zps1aa9b89d.jpg

I have noticed the TCD water jug before and have often wondered is it really just water?  Do yall really drink that much water?   Do you never cook on the grill?   And note to self never be the one that has to use the last cup.. 

Also on the roof mounted tent. I wounder how many vehicles are actually rated for the weight of 2 people plus the 130 lbs of the tent.  The ladder will carry some of the weight but not much.  My old Expedition had a solid looking roof rack but it was only rated at 200 lbs.  You can get an older popup for the $1500 the tent with accessories and shipping would cost.  

I'm as giddy as a kid on Christmas morning! Or maybe like DIT/Aaron with a cinnamon roll!

Wow, that's giddy.

Hang in there.

Looking into my bucket of photos, it looks like there's one more update from Saturday morning at the Fort, which will conclude with us waiting for the Downtown Disney bus.

Then we will be there!

Looking forward to you showing your Muppet side.

SPOILER ALERT!

I don't have a Muppet Side.

Sorry to break it to you.

I am guessing either Sam Eagle or the Swedish Chef.

If I did have a Muppet Side, which I don't, it would definitely be Sam the Eagle.  100%. Swedish Chef?  No way.

May 10-17.  But it won't be a Fort Trip.   :(

BTW... We all know what the Snow White spatula really is.  But I won't revisit that conversation.

Is it a Disney World trip?

I, too, have nothing more to say about the spankula.

Go ahead and show your Muppet side.  But please don't show your back side.  

SPOILER ALERT!

I will show neither.

Looking forward to the Muppet mess, but more to the next video.  Need another escape. vacation..... 

The Muppet mess comes first.

There will be another video later on.

3614361_zps1aa9b89d.jpg

I have noticed the TCD water jug before and have often wondered is it really just water?  Do yall really drink that much water?   Do you never cook on the grill?   And note to self never be the one that has to use the last cup.. 

Also on the roof mounted tent. I wounder how many vehicles are actually rated for the weight of 2 people plus the 130 lbs of the tent.  The ladder will carry some of the weight but not much.  My old Expedition had a solid looking roof rack but it was only rated at 200 lbs.  You can get an older popup for the $1500 the tent with accessories and shipping would cost.  

Yeah, it's just water.

Back in the day, I spent a lot of time throwing away half full bottles of water.  And we didn't have refillable mugs.  So, I set up the water jug to encourage water consumption.  It used to make more sense than it does now.  Call me crazy, but I prefer water from the jug over hose water.  You are correct about the last cup.  You don't want that one.  I do use the grill on rare occasion.  But most of the time, if I'm going to grill, I bring my portable propane grill.  Not as good as charcoal, but so much easier and cleaner.

Good point about the roof weight limits.  Those tents are nice, but I don't see the reason to want to go to all that hassle and expense.

$1100 for a TENT?!?! That's just crazy. 

I can't wait for the Muppet pics now!

Apparently, $1100 is some kind of bargain for a roof top tent.  The website I linked compares their $1100 tent to some $1700 model.

I guess that explains why I haven't seen more of them.

The Muppet pics are coming.

After the next update.

I am confident that you will find them worth the wait.  Plus, there is a limited time magicTM bonus that will come along with that update.

TCD

The only thing standing between us and a bunch of photos of people showing their Muppets Side is this next update.  So let's knock it out.

We enjoyed a leisurely morning at the Fort.  This is one small benefit of the FP+ system.  We had reservations for three attractions at Hollywood Studios in the late afternoon/early evening, so we felt no need to rush off to a park.

The girls got showers, and I cleaned up around camp.  Which didn't take very long.

Which meant it was time for some quality time in the official TCD hammock.

This is what you call a POV (point of view) shot, from the TCD hammock:

3614362_zps6290bedd.jpg

Looking up at the nice oak tree:

3614363_zps10d68513.jpg

And at a tall pine:

3614364_zpsc6227b2c.jpg

This is the view looking toward that pedestrian path that begins behind the Settlement Trading Post- the bush blocks the view.  Which also means that I have some privacy in the hammock:

3614365_zpsafe03956.jpg

Looking toward the trading post:

3614366_zps8f4c00ab.jpg

Just look at that blue sky!

And, finally, two shots of the other side view showing the path that borders site 114:

3614367_zps979b8234.jpg

3614369_zpsb3239d1a.jpg

I enjoyed some hammock time on this beautiful sunny morning.  I got a lot of use from my new Kindle on this trip.  I was reading The Goldfinch.  Which turned out to be a very good book.  I recommend it.

Then I needed a beverage.

Good thing the Trail's End soda machine was so convenient.

They have made a few tweaks to the machine, and it seems to be working better.  The soda selections have not changed, though:

3614370_zps0d7a8c62.jpg

These high-tech displays are upgraded from when we were last here in January:

3614371_zps7036a7fd.jpg

Hey, if I ran over to the Fort today, I could get a free drink:

3614372_zps15e8e69b.jpg

With a little effort, I could work up a pretty good Troll RantTM about this whole RFID chip soda thing.  But, I'm not in a mood to rant today.  So, I'll just make this one complaint.  I hate how you have to put your cup on the tray to trigger the machine.  The trays are covered with overflowed soda and are gross.  The Fort machine gets less use than some of the other resorts, so it's not as bad, but still, every time you use the machine, you will come away with sticky old spilled soda on the bottom of your cup:

3614374_zpsa1b6ca20.jpg

I am sorry to report that the BOF's are still MIA.  (that's the Barrels of Fun are still Missing in Action for those of you not up to speed on ff.net acronyms):

3614376_zps65908db5.jpg

I have not yet enjoyed a meal at one of these picnic tables, but I intend to one day:

3614377_zps318fe82d.jpg

As you might recall, these photos are from the morning of Saturday, March 8.  At noon, the University of Florida Gators would play their final regular season game against Kentucky in Gainesville.  It was a significant game, because the Gators had the chance to go undefeated in the SEC, and end the season ranked #1 nationally.  Of course, I had to support the team by displaying my Gator Gnome:

3614378_zps5462c983.jpg

That Gator Gnome represented the full extent of our site decorations this trip. Which is kind of lame.  Had I known we were going to be assigned site 114, I would have done a better job.

Some time during the morning, a couple of Castmembers showed up and put up a rental tent on the site across from us:

3614379_zps391e87b5.jpg

I guess I forgot that I had already taken a photo of my Snow White Spankula, because I have another:

3614380_zpsbfecf627.jpg

Another crew of Castmembers came around the loop in the morning, and placed one of these notices on each vehicle in the loop:

3614381_zpsb960d41b.jpg

A couple of years ago, the Fort management used to make a big deal about how the Fort was "green."  I guess the new regime hates trees.  Why was it necessary to waste all the paper needed to pass out this stupid notice to every site?

Before we knew it, it was noon, and I got to watch the first half of the Gator basketball game.  I was pleased to see that Coach Billy had the team pumped, and they didn't let Kentucky get a sniff at a lead.  That's how I like it.  They've had way too many close games this year.  But not today.

Since it was already noon, and we were about to part ways, we made some sandwiches and had lunch at the site.

Then it was time to go.

These were the instructions I had been emailed about the meet-up:

muppetsemail_zps8343fd18.jpg

And, our plans for Hollywood Studios are shown here:

mdeplans36392014_zpsd9e74ee8.jpg

The plan for Twin #1 was to pick up big sister after her 2:30 flight and head to DHS.  I thought there was a small chance that Twin #2 and I could make it for the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster FP+ time.  We agreed that we would text each other to coordinate meeting up at DHS.

Then Twin #2 and I headed to the Outpost to catch a bus.  No way was I going to drive and try to find a parking space at Downtown Disney.  It was bad before, but it's a total mess now with all the new construction.

I admired this nice looking cart in the golf cart parking area at the Outpost:

3614382_zpsfebf449e.jpg

Ironically, it was parked directly across from a Georgia cart:

3614383_zps7ed77a49.jpg

A trail ride was just heading out:

3614384_zpsc2fe09b4.jpg

What a beautiful day it was to go for a ride!

Here's another decorated cart:

3614385_zps09d2646b.jpg

Good job!

And, another Gator cart:

3614386_zps24c6e7f0.jpg

It's funny how many Gator carts there are.  And how few Seminole carts I ever see.  Go Gata.

This Mater cart was parked here too.  We saw this cart during our September visit to the Fort, and here it is again:

3614387_zps57d59281.jpg

3614388_zps6b9d8ac6.jpg

We had a bit of a wait for our bus.  Not a big deal,  Gave me a chance to enjoy the TCD Ranch:

3614389_zpscd610cbb.jpg

Whoops.  There's an abomination intruding on my view of the wilderness:

3614390_zps0797df54.jpg

Boo!

It wasn't too long after this that our bus arrived, and we made our way to Downtown Disney for the Meet Up.  I will tell you all about that in the next update.  Which I will try to do later today.

TCD

Congratulations on snagging those spots for the meet-up.  Can't wait to hear all about it!

Back in the late 80s and 90s we always stayed in the 100 loop.  Usually a few sites right of 114 on the canal side.  Wish we could get the moho in there, but the loop is just too tight to maneuver.  We loved being so close to the settlement.  Nothing like that short walk to TE!

Congratulations on snagging those spots for the meet-up.  Can't wait to hear all about it!

Back in the late 80s and 90s we always stayed in the 100 loop.  Usually a few sites right of 114 on the canal side.  Wish we could get the moho in there, but the loop is just too tight to maneuver.  We loved being so close to the settlement.  Nothing like that short walk to TE!

Your wait is over!

The update is done and will be posted in the next couple of minutes.

I like all of those sites along that stretch of the loop.  It is great to be that close to the Settlement.  It's a very different experience.

Another great day to read about, looking forward to the rest.

All of the Muppets Meet Up information is coming right up.

TCD

We are finally at Downtown Disney at the Muppets Most Wanted Meet-up.

We arrived right around 2, and there was no one outside the theater providing directions or assisting the many guests arriving.

It was clear from the get-go that this meet up was different from any of the others I have heard about-there were many more people admitted to this one.

A theater employee was standing at the door with a list on a clipboard.  She asked for my ID and checked my name off the list.  Then we were directed to stand in a very long line.

We waited in line about 10-15 minutes, and then were checked in.  At check-in, we each got a Muppets Most Wanted button, and I was handed an envelope that had vouchers in it for two drinks and a bag of popcorn.  Free.  Not bad.

We decided to get seats in the theater, and then I would go and get our popcorn and drinks.

The theater was really full, and the only seats open were in the front two rows.  We took the second row, and I headed out to the concession stand.  It was pretty busy out there.  Like they were giving stuff away.  Which they were.

When I got back, Twin #2 informed me that I had missed some interesting things.  They had done a trivia contest and awarded free t-shirts to those who answered questions correctly.  No big loss there, I wouldn't be very good at Muppets trivia.

They also called all the guests who had dressed to show their Muppets Side up on stage.  I was disappointed that I missed this.  Twin #2 said there was a guest who brought his own puppet.  And that he was disturbing.  So much so that the host moved quickly past him when he started talking into the microphone.

The other thing Twin #2 told me is that they announced that there was another balcony in the theater that had plenty of open seating.  We decided to head up there.

We got there, and found seats.  We were up high, but we had a good view.

One of the hosts from the blog came out to make some announcements.  One thing she said was that they had 600 guests in attendance.  Wow.  This was way bigger than any previous Meet Up I've heard of.  They said this was the third Meet Up they've done this year.  The first was related to the Food Trucks and Downtown Disney, and the second was a Vinylmation event.  They also announced that this was the 8th Muppets movie.  Wow.  I didn't know that.

You know how many Muppets movies I had seen before this one?

None.

The first Muppets movie came out in 1979.  That's the year I graduated High School and turned 18.  The drinking age was 18 then, and I was in college.  Going to a G rated movie about puppets wasn't high on my list of things to do.

Then came the sequels.  I guess I remember hearing about them.  But had zero interest in seeing them.

The last of the first batch of sequels was released in 1999.  And then there were no more Muppets movies until Disney put out the new one in 2011.

I found some information on Wikipedia that shows the names of the movies and how they grossed in theaters:

muppetschart_zpsedb9cdf2.jpg

It looks like I wasn't the only one who didn't flock to see those earlier movies.

And, the box office performance of the 2011 movie explains why there's a new one being released tomorrow.

I found a couple of photos of the event on-line.  This one shows the crowd in the theater.  I looked to see if we were in that shot, and I couldn't find us:

muppetstheater_zpse9713342.jpg

Here's a shot of when they called guests up on stage.  The Sam Eagle guy is a blog employee:

muppetsstage_zps4adaf684.jpg

You can see the guy with his own puppet there in that group.

Right before the movie was about to begin, they announced that they had a surprise for us.  I was hoping it was a free meal in one of the Downtown Disney restaurants.

But it was that a special guest was present.

Sweetums.

One of the Muppets.

And, there would be a meet and greet opportunity with him/her/it after the show.

I also found a video on-line that shows some of the Meet-Up fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHdPtguccAE

The dude with the puppet is in that video.

Then they played the movie.

I stayed awake.

It was a nice little movie.  No real big surprises.  There were a lot of cameo appearances from current popular actors and singers.  Unfortunately, I didn't recognize most of them.  Twin #2 did, though.  It's funny how they asked us before the movie to promise not to share any details of it unit after March 21.  There are reviews galore already in print that spell it all out in great detail.

After the movie, they told us that if we wanted to meet Sweetums, we should remain in our seats and they would call us out row by row.  We were way up top, near the last row.  So I told Twin #2 we probably should go, as it would take them forever to get to us.  But, right after I said that, a CM came in the back of the theater and told us they were going to go from top to bottom.  Sweet.  We were led out of the theater, and place on a short line to wait.  We were up on a balcony overlooking the lobby, and I could see Sam Eagle below:

3614392_zps8234515b.jpg

3614394_zps3655aece.jpg

The female with the bird man is Jennifer Fickley Baker, who is the Social Media Manager for Disney.  Jenn doesn't know it, but Twin #1 is going to have her job one day.

We had just a short wait to meet Sweetums.  There was a photographer there, and also a CM who would take a photo with your phone or camera for you.

Twin #2 was disappointed with the job the CM did taking our photo.  I agree with her.  Even I could have done a better job:

muppets_zps660608a1.jpeg

But, they gave us a little slip of paper with a web address where we could view and download a free photo.  Those photos were pretty good:

Muppets-Most-Wanted-46_zps9989f8a6.jpg

Muppets-Most-Wanted-50_zpsf552a353.jpg

Not only that- the link they gave us allowed us to see not just our photos, but all the photos that were taken that day.  Twin #2 and I looked over these together, and had a most enjoyable time.

For example, the dude with puppet was there.  And we found out he had a wife/girlfriend/sister/cousin with him:

guywithpuppet_zps50447c04.jpg

And, there was this lady, who showed her Muppets Side:

misspiggy_zps397be899.jpg

And, then there were these guys:

guyswithbeards_zps40b83155.jpg

And this lady:

solotraveler_zpsfe8d44f3.jpg

There's a story that goes with that lady.  We have seen her several times in the parks.  Which is weird.  But for some reason we have.  We all remember her from a Halloween Party we attended.  She was all by herself.  And we kept running in to her.  Then, for the last 24 hour event at the MK, she was in line not too far ahead of us to meet Mickey and Minnie.  And we have seen her other times too.  Always by herself.  So we call her the Solo Traveler.  We've discussed before how strange it is that we always seem to be running in to her.  Then, it dawned on me what is going on.  And I shared my theory with the twins.  I think the Solo Traveler is one of them who has time traveled back from the future.   I'm not sure which twin she is, but I think she keeps showing up to remind them to work hard and do good in school, or else they will spend their futures as Solo Travelers in the Magic Kingdom.  For some reason, that theory didn't go over very well with the twins. But, what other explanation could there be?

The last Sweetums photo I have to share is this one:

kidswithSweetums_zps5b5cb106.jpg

I share that one because these two kids were in line behind us when we were waiting to check in.  There were two girls with them who looked to be about the same age.  I was wondering what they were doing there.  The blog rules said that you had to be 18 to enter for a chance to come to the Meet Up.  Each winner could bring an underage guest, but the person entering had to be 18.  The twins are 18.  There is no way these kids behind me were 18.  But there they were.  They were annoying as could be.  I wonder if their parents work for Disney or something.  Do you think either of those kids are 18?

Now, I have a Limited Time MagicTM free gift for you.  This is the link where you, too, can see all of the photos that were taken that day:  http://www.disneysneakpeek.com/muppetsmostwanted

You can set it up on a slide show.  I promise you will have many laughs. Our photos are in there. But enjoy it while you can.  This truly is limited time magic.  According to the little piece of paper they gave us, the photos are only available until 3/28/14.

I guess that's all I have to say about the Meet Up.  It was fun, and we got to see a movie for free two weeks before it was released.  That's cool.

Now, we had to get to Hollywood Studios from Downtown Disney.

I had a plan.

How would you have done it?  Let's see if great minds think alike.

TCD

I have to confess I've never seen a Muppets movie.

Looks like you had a great time.

I'm not a big DD fan, so we don't go there often.  And if we do we drive or take the bus to/from the fort.  Assuming DD doesn't have buses straight to the parks, I'd probably take a bus to the Yacht Club and then a boat to DHS.

You know how many Muppets movies I had seen before this one?

None.

The first Muppets movie came out in 1979.  That's the year I graduated High School and turned 18.  The drinking age was 18 then, and I was in college.  Going to a G rated movie about puppets wasn't high on my list of things to do.

Then came the sequels.  I guess I remember hearing about them.  But had zero interest in seeing them.

The last of the first batch of sequels was released in 1999.  And then there were no more Muppets movies until Disney put out the new one in 2011.

I found some information on Wikipedia that shows the names of the movies and how they grossed in theaters:

muppetschart_zpsedb9cdf2.jpg

Didn't your girls have any of the Muppet movies on VHS/DVD?  We had Treasure Island and Christmas Carol on VHS at one point. The 2011 movie was one of the better ones.

And this lady:

solotraveler_zpsfe8d44f3.jpg

There's a story that goes with that lady.  We have seen her several times in the parks.  Which is weird.  But for some reason we have.  We all remember her from a Halloween Party we attended.  She was all by herself.  And we kept running in to her.  Then, for the last 24 hour event at the MK, she was in line not too far ahead of us to meet Mickey and Minnie.  And we have seen her other times too.  Always by herself.  So we call her the Solo Traveler.  We've discussed before how strange it is that we always seem to be running in to her.  Then, it dawned on me what is going on.  And I shared my theory with the twins.  I think the Solo Traveler is one of them who has time traveled back from the future.   I'm not sure which twin she is, but I think she keeps showing up to remind them to work hard and do good in school, or else they will spend their futures as Solo Travelers in the Magic Kingdom.  For some reason, that theory didn't go over very well with the twins. But, what other explanation could there be?

Did it ever occur to you she might be stalking you ?

kidswithSweetums_zps5b5cb106.jpg

I share that one because these two kids were in line behind us when we were waiting to check in.  There were two girls with them who looked to be about the same age.  I was wondering what they were doing there.  The blog rules said that you had to be 18 to enter for a chance to come to the Meet Up.  Each winner could bring an underage guest, but the person entering had to be 18.  The twins are 18.  There is no way these kids behind me were 18.  But there they were.  They were annoying as could be.  I wonder if their parents work for Disney or something.  Do you think either of those kids are 18?

Is that kid on the left on a tv show? He looks vaguely familiar.

Also, a number of those photos have more than 2 people in them so there must have been a lot of employees' family, friends, next door neighbors, etc. allowed to break the rules.

Here you go.

From the TCD archives (looks like it was a Halloween trip)- this is the TCD Big BreakfastTM.  This is exactly what I made, but it was sausage patties, not links:

FW101812351.jpg

TCD

Thank you!   :drool1:

My guess is boat from DTD to Epcot and then boat to DHS.  That would probably take way too long.  But I really like boat rides.

Thank you!   :drool1:

My guess is boat from DTD to Epcot and then boat to DHS.  That would probably take way too long.  But I really like boat rides.

Theres a boat from DTD to EPCOT?

I did not know that.

Id take the boat to OKW or POFQ and hop the bus from there. It would be less stress as you are right there near the boat launch after exiting the theater.

Theres a boat from DTD to EPCOT?

I did not know that.

Id take the boat to OKW or POFQ and hop the bus from there. It would be less stress as you are right there near the boat launch after exiting the theater.

I knew I should have checked my facts first.  I might have dreamed that boat.  i tend to do stuff like that.