The TCD Gang Springs Forward at the Fort- A Spring Break 2014 TR

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, leave Beckers alone, she knows exactly what she's doing. She's my new favorite Fiend.

I have seen them training docking at the Fort. That provided one of the best photos I've ever taken    

I love Agents of Shield. It's really the only show we watch as a family. They are getting ready to start a 7 episode run to the season finale this week! Can't wait! Off topic but my 10 year old dd is

The early morning pics are awesome.

I actually do like the fences at the Settlement but i wish the lawnmower tree and wagons were still there.

Thanks.

I like the fencing, but there's too much of it.  (IMHO).

I totally agree that it's not the same without the Lawnmower Tree.  I would also like to see both wagons back.   But I would settle for one wagon and three totem poles.

I absolutely love the early morning pictures! It's amazing that in such a busy, hectic place you can still get the feeling of being alone there.

You get it.

You're a true Fiend.

I too like the fencing. We like it so much we did the same type of fencing on our RV lot in Ocala. Believe it or not the name park is called Wilderness RV. lol. Amazing photos.

Thanks.

I wish my friend Norm (The Troll) was around to see your comment about my amazing photos.

For Yvonne and TCD:

067Yvonneondock_zps3e0e932a.jpg

Would you like the video or the ringtone?  PM me your em addy and I'll send it to you.

That's the nicest photo of Bob's dock I've seen.

Don't tell Bob, but Yvonne looks better on it.

I can't wait for my shining moment of better than page 1 bragging rights!!!

Just a little bit longer!

TCD

You are one of the few who can say that you actually swam in that water once when there was an almost-sunrise happening.

Not even I can say that.

Cool!  I didn't think there was anything cool to do at FW that I have done that TCD hasn't!  I'd do it again in a flash, except I don't think they have that race there anymore.  :mellow:

This was my view as I walked out the back of my campsite.  Not bad:

3614319_zps86dc61b7.jpg

Man - That's an awesome location!

067Yvonneondock_zps3e0e932a.jpg

Great pic of Yvonne! 

Beautiful pictures.

Lol, you were cold at 50 degrees and I opened up the windows at 40 degrees a couple weeks ago. 50 would be a heatwave for us yankees :)

LOL.  As a former Yankee, one of my trademark lines I use when the girls say it's cold is: "What, this is like the 4th of July in New Jersey."

But 50 is cold to me now.  Fortunately, that was the last of the cold weather we had on this trip.

Man that would be something.

So sad.

Cool!  I didn't think there was anything cool to do at FW that I have done that TCD hasn't!  I'd do it again in a flash, except I don't think they have that race there anymore.  :mellow:

As far as I know, there are no more triathlons hosted at the Fort.

Still, if I really wanted to swim in Bay Lake at sunrise, I could.

But, it's not really high on my Fort Wilderness List of FunTM.

Thanks for posting the video.  I needed a vacation today.

You are most welcome.  For what it's worth, there will be another video later on shot from another peaceful place at the Fort.

Me too!  TCD and Aaron are helping me hang in there till our next trip! 

If you guys could drag this stuff out until May I'd appreciate it!   :rofl2:

What date in May?

If I make a couple or three bonus trips, I could easily drag this out until then.

TCD

This update will start right where the last one stopped: at the exit from the 300 loop at sunrise on Saturday morning, March 8:

3614335_zps2511057d.jpg

As we know from the excellent reporting done by Grumpy Dave, Big Pine Drive was just repaved in the prior week.  And it looks good:

3614336_zps3c4436b4.jpg

Look how the rising sun is just hitting the tops of the trees there on the right in this photo:

3614337_zpsa7815f86.jpg

I like that freshly painted crosswalk.  It gives me an idea for a photo.  What if we got Four Fiends to walk across that road for a photo?  I'm putting that on my to-do list.

I am pleased to inform you that the sun did, indeed, rise on the morning of March 8.  Here's photographic evidence if you don't believe me:

3614338_zpse3cc41db.jpg

The new improved Big Pine Drive.  The planter/island that used to be south of the 1400 loop has been removed, and new white lines painted to keep vehicular traffic away from the sidewalk.  That's a good idea:

3614339_zps31190177.jpg

You may have picked up on the fact that I have a lot of favorite places to visit around the Fort.  Here's another one-the swamp between the 300 and 1500 loops:

3614340_zps30980035.jpg

3614341_zpsa15712dd.jpg

3614342_zps396c340b.jpg

If you ever have the nerve.  And don't care about being eaten up by chiggers (or worse), you could wade into that swamp and look for some genuine Fort Wilderness Railroad spikes.  When we have a cold winter, some of that jungle dies down and makes it easier to get through. But, our winter in Florida hasn't been cold enough for that this year.

Just past the swamp is another one of my favorite places- the footbridge from the 1500 loop to the Meadow Recreation Area:

3614343_zps3cad382e.jpg

Here, again, we see that the sun is just hitting the tops of the trees. I love this time of the morning:

3614344_zps73a42e8c.jpg

I took a loop around my favorite loop.  These folks get the award for the most cars and tents on a single site:

3614345_zpscb689402.jpg

I saw something strange on the 1600 loop.  The campers who've been there a while with the carports were missing.  The carports, woodpile, critter cages, etc., etc. were there, but they weren't:

3614346_zps1165df4c.jpg

3614347_zps125f8268.jpg

Per TCD's Mother's Rule, I have nothing further to say about that.

On the 1900 loop, I found this trip's recipient of the TCD RMOG (Real Man of Genius) Award:

3614348_zps66f795ef.jpg

Do you see that?

It's some kind of tent that uses the roof of a Volvo station wagon for support.  Why?  And what happens if you want to go somewhere in the car?

I'll be that tent cost a lot more than a basic Coleman family-size tent.

Next on my looping journey was the 1800 loop.

Of course, I had to head out on the pet walk and take a look at the canal:

3614349_zps22e4b2a4.jpg

If I had walked just a bit further down the canal I would have been able to take a nice photo of the new Four Seasons Abomination.  But, I had just gotten a good look at it in January.  And I was fine with that.

Looking the other way:

3614350_zps9cb2b875.jpg

The canal was still steaming:

3614351_zps1bc34c73.jpg

Hey, there's a deer.  I didn't see her swim:

3614352_zps4965a9fd.jpg

Another look in the direction of the abomination:

3614353_zps4a02258c.jpg

This site on the 1800 loop had a tent set up in the back.  If I was going to sleep in a tent at the Fort, this is where I'd like to do it:

3614354_zps670297f9.jpg

Another deer came out of the woods to join that other deer:

3614355_zps92e767d6.jpg

A last look down the canal:

3614356_zps72b9fe78.jpg

This site was just around the loop.  Look at all those little tents.  What's up with that?:

3614357_zpsf43bf5db.jpg

I was in need of a coffee refill, so it was back to the 100 loop from here.

It was just past 7:30 am now.

Time to visit Trail's End:

3614358_zps83935b17.jpg

There was plenty of golf cart parking available at this hour.  But I walked.  I did that a lot over the course of this trip.  It was easier to walk there than it was to drive the cart:

3614359_zps647f3f8a.jpg

The view from the porch.  These crepe myrtle trees are currently leafless.  But they won't be for long:

3614360_zps9b287424.jpg

Back at site 114, I got ready to whip up a big breakfast.  My site had a tree in a perfect location for my Tree Hugger.  Look, I have everything I need handy.  Even my Snow White SpankulaTM:

3614361_zps1aa9b89d.jpg

If you examine that photo more carefully, you will also see my genuine TCD Horse Barn horseshoeTM, and the TCD hammockTM, and the TCD waterjugTM.  It is good to be TCD.

I got busy making breakfast, and when it was ready, I woke up the twins.  We enjoyed a great meal at the picnic table, and discussed the logistics of our day.

Today, there were a lot of logistics.

My oldest daughter would be arriving at the airport at 2:30.

The original plan was for me to go and get her.  She could have done Magical Express, but we haven't tried it yet.  My concern is that it takes a really long time to get to the Fort via Magical Express.

The twins would be enjoying themselves at the park of their choice, and we would then rendezvous at DHS to use our three tier one FP+'s.

But, there was a wrinkle.

Caused by this:

blodmuppetsmeetup_zps789f1b8f.jpg

Do you ever read the Disney Parks Blog?

I do.

Are you familiar with the thing they do called Meet Ups?

I am.

From time to time, they will make a post about an event to take place somewhere at WDW called a Meet Up.  There are a limited number of openings for each one.

Usually, by the time I find out that there's a Meet Up, all the spaces are already full.

But, it just so happened that I checked the Disney Parks Blog on March 5, and they had just posted about this new Meet Up which would take place on March 8.

I entered.

And I got in!

The only problem was that it was only good for me and one guest.

And I had to be there.  The rules said that it was non-transferable.

But I also had to be at the airport to pick up my oldest daughter at 2:30.

So, I decided that I wouldn't go.   I told the twins about it, thinking that they wouldn't care.

But, they've heard about these Meet Ups.  Sometimes there are surprises.  Mostly some kind of free food.

Twin #2 really wanted to go.

Twin #1 didn't care.

They suggested that Twin #2 and I go to the Meet Up, and that Twin #1 would go to the airport and get big sister.  Then we would all meet up later.

Wow.

What a plan.

It's strange that my kids are old enough to go and pick each other up at airports.

But they are.

It seems like just yesterday that they weren't even old enough to drive a golf cart at the Fort.

So, over breakfast, we had made a final plan.  We would hang around the Fort for the morning.  Then Twin #2 and I would head to Downtown Disney.  And Twin #1 would hang around for a bit longer and then head to the airport.

Done.

The second big thing we did that we never did before was go to a Disney Parks Blog meet-up.

That's the secret I alluded to earlier.

The secret part is that we got to see the new Muppets movie.  But, we're not allowed to talk about or disclose the plot.  The movie doesn't come out until March 21.

That March 21 date was a clue.

And the first one who guessed what the secret was is Rebekah aka ShinySparklyBubbles.

She gets Disney Parks Blog Muppets Most Wanted Meet Up (DPBMMWMU) bragging rights!

Congratulations, Rebekah!

Next up, we enjoy the rest of the morning at the Fort.

And then make tracks to Downtown Disney.

Would you like to know what really happens at the Disney Parks Blog Meet Ups?

Then keep reading!

TCD

Thanks for the update! I love the pictures, they always bring a smile to my face.

There was another tent on top of a car in the 2000 loop, did you see it? It wasn't quite as elaborate as that one. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it.

Love my spike! Thanks!

Strangely, I am attracted to the idea of going to see the Muppet Movie on Friday.  I guess I am still just a kid at heart.

That Volvo tent almost looked two stories.  Wow.

Very selfless of the twins to split up that way, I would have still been fighting with my sibling over it. 

Oh wait, I was an only brat, I never had to share.  That probably explains statement #1  Oh well, It was good to be a young YC.

What the Fort kind of tent is that?!?!? Has anyone researched it to try to find out?

Regarding the Magical Express. I wouldn't worry about it taking a long time. I thought it was pretty awesome when I used it in July. Tag my bag, fly, head to the plane, bypass baggage claim, bus to the resort, and your luggage arrives a little later. Or you can bring your own luggage. It was pretty sweet. We even stopped at the Fort before the Poly. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

A meet up! Very cool! Beckers, I'm impressed you guessed correctly. That wasn't even on my radar.

Thanks for the deer pics.

Deer pics are always good.

I had deer in my backyard this morning.

We never even made it to Downtown Disney on our last trip.

I didnt really care. I figured we'd check it out again when it becomes Disney Springs.

I think I liked the Hyperion Wharf idea/plans better.

Was Governor Palin's doppelgänger at the meet-Up?

Here's that solo abandoned bicycle we saw earlier.  Why do you think this is here?  What happened to the kid who parked it there?:

TCD

Interesting observation sir. Let me venture a guess.

A little girl had overestimated her ability to absorb the amount of fun that came her way from The Fort and WDW.

At that point, she had already collapsed draped over her parents shoulder. Or, like a super nova, had collapsed upon herself in a flurry of temper tantrums.

Either way, the father said."leave the d&&m bike, give me the girl...all I want to do is get back to camp for some cold beer and leftover GaG."

Just a guess

The secret part is that we got to see the new Muppets movie.  But, we're not allowed to talk about or disclose the plot.  The movie doesn't come out until March 21.

Ha! Muppets movie and plot that can't be figured out from the previews don't really go together.

The main thing I want to know are all the funniest jokes in the previews?

http://s301.photobucket.com/user/Tri-Circle-D/media/3%206%2014/3614357_zpsf43bf5db.jpg.html

Well that would be what I call camping in the outhouse behind the penthouse. Aka $50 tent behind the $200,000 motorhome. Also known as cheap camping (who do you think paid for the site).

That is one strange Volvo tent contraption.  

So what's the plot of the movie?  C'mon, what are they gonna do to ya if you tell?

I'm not sure what they will do.  They made us sign a long single-spaced legal document before we could go in the theater.

There's probably some fine print in there providing for all kinds of bad things.

Good thing I didn't sign my real name.

Take that, Disney Legal Department.

Thanks for the update! I love the pictures, they always bring a smile to my face.

There was another tent on top of a car in the 2000 loop, did you see it? It wasn't quite as elaborate as that one. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it.

Love my spike! Thanks!

Thanks!

So, are y'all back home?

How was the rest of your week?

Great, I'm sure.

Stay tuned, you will get a shout-out in the report. 

When I finally get around to Sunday.

Strangely, I am attracted to the idea of going to see the Muppet Movie on Friday.  I guess I am still just a kid at heart.

That Volvo tent almost looked two stories.  Wow.

Very selfless of the twins to split up that way, I would have still been fighting with my sibling over it. 

Oh wait, I was an only brat, I never had to share.  That probably explains statement #1  Oh well, It was good to be a young YC.

Wow, that's a lot of sharing.

If you like movies with Muppets, then this will fit the bill.

What the Fort kind of tent is that?!?!? Has anyone researched it to try to find out?

Regarding the Magical Express. I wouldn't worry about it taking a long time. I thought it was pretty awesome when I used it in July. Tag my bag, fly, head to the plane, bypass baggage claim, bus to the resort, and your luggage arrives a little later. Or you can bring your own luggage. It was pretty sweet. We even stopped at the Fort before the Poly. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

A meet up! Very cool! Beckers, I'm impressed you guessed correctly. That wasn't even on my radar.

That's a good idea about researching the tent.  I've never seen one quite like that one.  I'd like to know what they cost.

That's good to know about the magical express. But, running out to the airport isn't bad either.

The Meet Up was fun.  I hope to do another some time.

Thanks for the deer pics.

Deer pics are always good.

I had deer in my backyard this morning.

We never even made it to Downtown Disney on our last trip.

I didnt really care. I figured we'd check it out again when it becomes Disney Springs.

I think I liked the Hyperion Wharf idea/plans better.

Was Governor Palin's doppelgänger at the meet-Up?

I'm not a big fan of Downtown Disney either.  I wouldn't have gone this trip if not for the event.

You had me lost on that doppelganger question.  Then I got it.  Nope, Tina wasn't there.  But, there was a meet and greet opportunity with one of the other actors from the film.  And I have pics to prove it.

And there were some doppelgangers too.  I have pics of them as well.

Interesting observation sir. Let me venture a guess.

A little girl had overestimated her ability to absorb the amount of fun that came her way from The Fort and WDW.

At that point, she had already collapsed draped over her parents shoulder. Or, like a super nova, had collapsed upon herself in a flurry of temper tantrums.

Either way, the father said."leave the d&&m bike, give me the girl...all I want to do is get back to camp for some cold beer and leftover GaG."

Just a guess

Very good.

I was thinking more along the lines of an alien abduction.

But your story is plausible too.

" it was easier to walk than to ride in the golf cart."

That is a mighty powerful statement.

You had a nice piece of real estate

And it was true.

From my site, to cart to Trail's End, I would have to drive around 100, exit, go through that awful intersection at the three way, and then drive down the path and park.  Then reverse it to go back.

Or, I could just stroll over there.

I chose to stroll.

Ha! Muppets movie and plot that can't be figured out from the previews don't really go together.

The main thing I want to know are all the funniest jokes in the previews?

Winner, Winner GAG Dinner!

You're right!

Just looking at the posters and other promotional materials, the name of the movie, and trailers, there aren't many blanks left to fill in.

Are there jokes that were not in the previews?  Did you see the one with Ty Burrell driving the small car?  Did you see the one with Tina Fey tripping in the dark?  If so, then no.

http://s301.photobucket.com/user/Tri-Circle-D/media/3%206%2014/3614357_zpsf43bf5db.jpg.html

Well that would be what I call camping in the outhouse behind the penthouse. Aka $50 tent behind the $200,000 motorhome. Also known as cheap camping (who do you think paid for the site).

Hey Jeff!

Top of page 12 bragging rights to you!

Nice to see a post from you.

TCD

Since Dave asked, I will share a few hints about the "plot" of the film.

Nothing secret, mind you.

First, did you notice that there were two Kermits on my free package of Wocka Wocka Watermelon seeds:

3614242_zps72f88d40.jpg

Note that one of the Kermits has a mole.

And, did you notice Miss Piggy is in some kind of spy gear in this poster?:

3614264_zps186ce3b2.jpg

And, if you watch the trailers for the film, you'll note that Ty Burrell has a French accent, and bumbles around, while Tina Fey has a Russian accent and bumbles around.

And the title of the movie is Muppets Most Wanted.

I think you can take it from there.

Sorry, I should have started this post with SPOILER ALERT.

TCD

Back at site 114, I got ready to whip up a big breakfast.  My site had a tree in a perfect location for my Tree Hugger.  Look, I have everything I need handy.  Even my Snow White SpankulaTM:

3614361_zps1aa9b89d.jpg

If you examine that photo more carefully, you will also see my genuine TCD Horse Barn horseshoeTM, and the TCD hammockTM, and the TCD waterjugTM.  It is good to be TCD.

I got busy making breakfast, and when it was ready, I woke up the twins.  We enjoyed a great meal at the picnic table, and discussed the logistics of our day.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there Tex.....   I know your name is Andrew, but Tex sounded better....  Anyway, how can you give us all of these great details and completely skip over what you cooked with that awesome chuckwagon cook set....

Whoa, whoa, whoa there Tex.....   I know your name is Andrew, but Tex sounded better....  Anyway, how can you give us all of these great details and completely skip over what you cooked with that awesome chuckwagon cook set....

Yeah, sorry about that.

The TCD twins don't allow cameras in their vicinity for at least an hour after they wake up.

It's a good rule.

TCD

Yeah, sorry about that.

The TCD twins don't allow cameras in their vicinity for at least an hour after they wake up.

It's a good rule.

TCD

Okay, so no pics.  I completely understand.  However, knowing what a masterful story teller you are, I am sure you can get us pretty hungry just describing the deliciousness that issued forth from your outdoor kitchen.

Okay, so no pics.  I completely understand.  However, knowing what a masterful story teller you are, I am sure you can get us pretty hungry just describing the deliciousness that issued forth from your outdoor kitchen.

Here you go.

From the TCD archives (looks like it was a Halloween trip)- this is the TCD Big BreakfastTM.  This is exactly what I made, but it was sausage patties, not links:

FW101812351.jpg

TCD