Freedom from the Polar Vortex... The GDF family sails RCCL

The GaDawgFan family broke tradition and did not go to Disney for Spring Break this year. The truth is Mr. GaDawgFan is a little Disneyed-out. I don’t know how this is possible, but apparently it is. So with Disney out, I had to decide where we would go.

That week is generally an exciting time for our family since Z’s birthday and our anniversary generally fall on Spring Break. I started looking at cruises because they offer the best of both worlds…. Family time and adult time on the same trip.

Of course, I checked Disney cruises (hoping I could sneak that idea by). I narrowed down some options and decided we’d to present Mr. GaDawgFan with a 4 day Disney cruise, a 7 day Disney cruise, or a 7 day Royal Caribbean cruise. The 4 day Disney and 7 day RCCL were around the same price. The 7 day Disney was about twice the price of RCCL. He let me know there was no way he was agreeing to double the price or a shorter cruise. So it was decided…  We were sailing on Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas for Spring Break.  

In case you know nothing about that ship, I’ll give you a little info. It was the largest ship in the world when it debuted in 2006, and it has the Dreamworks Experience where they have some activities and Dreamworks character meet and greets. It’s not Disney, but I was excited.

We also decided that we’d spend a few nights in Cocoa Beach before sailing on March 30th (Z’s birthday). So in the next update we’ll visit Cocoa Beach…. And the emergency room.

Who’s in? 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so for the record they are definitely not JORTS. No self respecting university of Georgia fan would ever wear JORTS.  I personally think that this was simply a ploy to get me to post and defend mys

Further proof  

What's wrong with Jorts? I own a few pair. I wear jeans in the winter and shorts the rest of the year. Sometimes Jorts. Not the ones shown on the magazine cover and not in Florida, it's to humid. Do

I'm in!

Page one!

I am pro-Cocoa Beach.

I am anti-emergency room.

But, I'm looking forward to the next update.

The TCD gang has a long history with Royal Caribbean Cruise line.  Mrs. TCD and I sailed on the Sovereign of the Seas in its inaugural year when it was the largest cruise ship in the world, and there was no DCL.  A lot has changed since then.  I'm looking forward to hearing about how you liked the Freedom of the Seas.

TCD

Page one and number one.

Woot! Woot!

I'm in. I'm in!

My first time being the first in.

Number one is the new number one.

Sorry page two'ers.

7 glorious days at sea. Wow.

I love cocoa beach and hate the ER. I hope it has a happy ending.

Congrats on being 1st!!!! Cocoa Beach was nice, except the ER part. Spoiler alert... there's a happy ending.

I'm in!

Page one!

I am pro-Cocoa Beach.

I am anti-emergency room.

But, I'm looking forward to the next update.

The TCD gang has a long history with Royal Caribbean Cruise line.  Mrs. TCD and I sailed on the Sovereign of the Seas in its inaugural year when it was the largest cruise ship in the world, and there was no DCL.  A lot has changed since then.  I'm looking forward to hearing about how you liked the Freedom of the Seas.

TCD

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about our trip. I've never sailed Disney and this was only our 2nd cruise and first on Royal.

Yes. I won't be cruising myself any time soon so I'll have to tag along on other people's cruises for now.  I hope we get out of the ER quickly and happily.  And that there are princesses for Z to pose with.

Welcome aboard! There was only one princess, and she was an ogre, but he made up for it by meeting pretty girls on his own. 

I'm in!

Yay!!!

Count me in!

And you already know what happened. :)

I'm in!

And ER trip? Booooo

Yep, the trip didn't start well, but it ended up being OK. 

Anchors aweigh....cruise.gif

Whooo Hoooo!

I'm in but the ER SMB.

The ER does SMB. Thankfully, we weren't there long.

Can't wait to read!!

Glad to have you reading!

I'm in!

Great!!!

I'm in!

Yay! You probably can answer more questions about Royal than I can, so feel free to jump in!

I'm in too can't wait to hear about the trip!

WBI

It was a great one!

Me too, I am in

Glad to have you!

I'm in!

And first page for once!

Whooo Hoooo! Congrats!

I'm in!  Page one bragging rights!  Woot!  Woot!

Woot! Woot! Congrats!

I'm in! We've cruised RCCL and loved it. Trying to justify the price of a Disney cruise with my husband but it's not working.

Hope the emergency room visit isn't for anything too traumatic!

Jason isn't buying the Disney price either. It's hard to change his mind when we could stay at the Fort for a week and do a week long cruise with Royal for the price of Disney. 

Friday 3/28

We decided to leave Friday after work to give us a full day at the beach on Saturday. Our friends from Boca were coming up to see us too. The drive down was pretty uneventful except we drove through some heavy rain.

Saturday 3/29

We actually arrived at the Best Western Cocoa Beach at about 2 AM Saturday morning. Z had fallen asleep but was excited when we got to the room. I knew it was an older hotel that was supposed to be clean and most importantly… on the beach. And that’s what it was. No pictures of the room, but picture a basic hotel room with mini fridge and microwave. Also known as, the scene of the incident….

After sleeping, I called my friend. They were heading down for the beach because it was supposed to rain later. So we headed to the beach.

C6A422EF-888A-4D22-898F-3855B8EA2446.jpg

We were near the pier and planned to eat there for dinner later.

841500A6-62EE-456A-985F-192F0D4250A4.jpg

The rain didn’t come as soon as predicted. The kids played. Life was good.

F35224D3-6A5A-4377-85A3-7CA29DE18FEB.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

I swear I uploaded a picture of the hotel, but I can’t find it. I’ll add it later.

It started to look like the rain was coming, so we packed our stuff up and headed in to shower.

I was starting the shower when I heard Z scream and heard Jason say something like “Oh God!” I came out of the bathroom, and Z’s mouth was bleeding. He had tripped over his towel, fallen, and partially busted out his front teeth on the edge of the tile in the sink area of the bathroom.

And we headed here….

E5D9D8AA-7681-40FF-8C86-44931EADAF92.jpg

While waiting, we called some urgent care dentists but none would see him since he wasn’t already a patient.

The good part of this, if there was one, was that these were Z’s baby teeth. I have a picture of the actual teeth, but it will probably gross people out, so just imagine a lot of blood and teeth pushed back part of the way.

We saw the doctor who calmed us down and said they’d probably fall out in the next few weeks. He suggested that we still go on the cruise and follow up with the pediatric dentist when we got home. I asked for antibiotics just in case things got infected while we were gone, but he kind of chuckled and said people have been busting out teeth for centuries and that it would be OK. He gave Z permission to eat ice cream for the next 24 hours, but let us know that he had no restrictions other than pain and could eat whatever he could chew on the sides.

After all that, we went to dinner at the pier.

10F14486-C46B-4DA5-9AC3-117A2260924C.jpg

And Z and his buddy had ice cream for dinner… because if one kid is having it, the other is too.

No pood forn because I was still in some shock. And Jason was REALLY in shock.  

Z was semi excited at the prospect of ice cream and the tooth fairy. He was also excited we were still going on the cruise because he’d been looking forward to it.

Sunday 3/30

The next day was Z’s birthday! His lip was swollen, but he was already looking better. And he was excited!

4D54E4F1-05CE-4B9C-B610-D5374F0B923F.jpg

Staying at the Best Western gave us a 40% off coupon for parking at the pier, so we decided to do that. 

Our first glimpse of the Freedom of the Seas.

9128D907-F1A2-43EE-B7F5-D8239DB52558.jpg

We arrived at about 10:30, waited through a short line, and they sat us in rows.

7A19FF71-9557-4499-9EA5-208A0F76790E.jpg

There was an inspection, so boarding was delayed until about 11:15.

Then we headed to the ship!

E3937A8E-5449-4E8C-A2B7-161711CF3D00.jpg

756EE10B-F34A-486B-88C9-82B1C02EF421.jpg

That seems like a good place to stop for now.

Poor Z!  Happy to hear that it wasn't worse.  Hope the accident didn't ruin his trip. 

Walking that "gangplank" to board the ship ... the anticipation and the happiness of being there ... there is no better feeling (other than walking into MK and seeing the castle for the first time on that trip).  I dunno.  It's a toss-up.  I guess the best scenario is a week-long cruise followed by two weeks or more at the fort and then another week-long cruise.

Poor Z!

What a bad way to start a trip.  I'm sorry that y'all had to go to the ER on vacation.  It looks like he recovered quickly, though.

I already see that RCCL does a better job with the embarkation.  I remember long waits to board on our RCCL cruises.  Also, they didn't feed you lunch on the boarding day.  You were on your own for that.

TCD