The Maul Gang Goes To WDW

Holy Fort!  Thought it would never happen.

As some may know from my post in the 'Introduce Yourself' thread, we've been planning this for some time.  Well, the stars must have been in the proper alignment.

A brief introduction of the participants.

img_0738_zps26dd6fc8.jpg

There's my DW aka Mama Deuce, DD12 aka K Bear, DS9 aka Harry, and me aka Grumpy (but we'll go with Jeff).

The plan was to take it easy traveling down and back, only logging 8 hours true drive time each day.  Then, 9 days at the Fort.  14 days total.

So, grab a beer, sit back, and read along as I attempt to post installments in a timely manner.

First installment planned for Fri eve and will cover trip down and arrival at FW.

img_0699_zpsefa3422e.jpg

Here's the rig and camper 5 minutes before we pulled out Saturday morn Apr 12.

TTFN,

Jeff

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said this before but it's worth repeating. That's the best looking GAG I have seen.

HDDR? I really hope you felt better for that. After skipping it on our last couple trips, I think HDDR instead of the traditional GAG may be in order for January.

Thanks to those who posted.  Congrats to all the page 1 entries (page 2 as well).

Page one on a new fiends first TR is the new page two of a TCD TR.

Second page one post.....almost got you an arrow down.

Don't say I've never done anything for you.  

Page one closing in 3.....2......1......

You just had to do it.......

REALLY close to an arrow down.....

Tell Me Again Why I Am Driving 1100 Miles.....

Left at 8:20am (plan was 8am sharp).  Can't complain.....not yet, at least.

If you're familiar with the Northeast/Midatlantic area, you'll know that Baltimore/Washington area is a pain.  Also, towing with propane gets you a 'no-go' at the Balt. tunnels.  That said, I had planned to stay on the eastern side of the Chesapeake, coming over at Annapolis and staying east of I-95, meeting up with I-95 around Ruther Glen.... well south of DC.  A quick check a few days prior uncovered a planned closure of that route for the weekend.  Plan 'B', come across Annapolis, get on DC Beltway and head for I-95 just south of DC.

Fail.

These routes around and south of DC were an abomination.  Total stop and go.  All the way to Fredericksburg.  Even tried an alternate route.  Fail, again.

img_0700_zpsd508a3f0.jpg

In a nutshell, it added 3+ hours to our drive time.  Not a way to start a vacation.  I blame Obama.....

Arrived at a KOA in Enfield, NC well past our planned time.  So frustrated from the drive, we just settled in.  No pics.

Up and on the road around 8:10am.  We're getting better.  Plan is to get to Brunswick, GA for night 2.

Now, one of the things we love to do when travelling with the camper is to count how many other campers there are on the road.  Yesterday produced 150 or so.  Today though, with the amount of snowbirds flowing north, we hit 500 at lunchtime.  Holy Cow!  We decided that we needed not to count anymore.

I treated Mama Deuce to a surprise this day.  Her nephew lives in Myrtle Beach and I was in contact with him a week prior to see if we could meet for lunch.  Schedules worked out and we met in Lake City, SC for a wonderful surprise get-together and lunch.  Extra brownie points for me......

Now, on to Blythe Island  http://www.glynncounty.org/index.aspx?NID=178 . This is a county park and campground, and may I say, is a gem.  Pull thru, full hook-up, $36.  And all acess to the park.  We set up and then went for a stroll. 

img_0701_zps75b5a80a.jpg

You can't see it, but there's a conc pad on the other side with picnic table.

img_0703_zpsf1905f48.jpg

Mama Deuce & K Bear enjoying the sites.

img_0706_zps58ef83c3.jpg

Campsites just beyond in the wooded area.  Notice the pavillion.  There were several around the lake, each with running water and a prep sink.

img_0707_zpsa49c0730.jpg

Harry doing his best ZZ Top impression.

20140413_185049_zps4931cdda.jpg

20140413_190550_zps8271a4c9.jpg

More shots of Blythe Island.

Up again in the am....not sure when.  First stop, Florida Visitors Center.  Gotta get that free OJ, Yo.

20140414_090810_zps97011648.jpg

Travel was not bad, a bit congested in Orlando.  Finally though I found out what driving 1100 miles was all about.

img_0718_zps9ffe2585.jpg

Yeah, not the main entrance.  Went the way of Epcot, I think....

Got up to the MK toll and had a choice of sitting behind 2 or 3 charter  busses or squeezing in to the right.  I chose the squeeze, and what a squeeze it was.  Was afraid to go all the way to the attendant for fear that I'd knock the mirror into the booth.  At the same time, a bus to the left started moving and I thought it was going to take off the Driver's mirror....to the point that I could not even reach out to move it out of the way.  Crap, that was close. 

img_0720_zps4f887ab7.jpg

Well, this is what we are all waiting for....

Check-in was a breeze.  Enjoyed the interaction with the CM checking us in.  Very pleasurable experience.

img_0734_zpsf8d12c1d.jpg

Our home for the next 9 days.

img_0739_zps1d0c00d5.jpg

img_0740_zps5ca8968f.jpg

img_0742_zpsafd35ceb.jpg

This is behind our site.

img_0743_zpsd6833834.jpg

img_0744_zps34a185a1.jpg

Looking back towards our site.

We got our cart, spent some time at the pool, looped around for a short bit.  Just happy to finally be here.

That's it for now.  Next up....we hit the first park.  Can you guess which one?

Jeff