The Maul Gang Goes To WDW

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said this before but it's worth repeating. That's the best looking GAG I have seen.

HDDR? I really hope you felt better for that. After skipping it on our last couple trips, I think HDDR instead of the traditional GAG may be in order for January.

Ok ...  3 hours around DC  just plain sucks...   Thats why when I leave Pa.,  we take I 81 and then dash across  I 66 and finish on Va 17 and get on I 95 at Fredericksburg.   Secondly,   I already like Harry....  Sweet ZZ Top impression...  I'm sure he can be a handful...

Free OJ is always a ritual with us too.  It seems you got a good site and the hammock looks very inviting.  My first park choice is going to be Hollywood Studios, only because SSBB took the MK.

DC and northern Va.  on 95 SMB, we always use the 301 route from De. and get back to 95 at exit 104, one exit before Kings Dominion. You can go farther on 301 but this is what has worked best for us. Looks like a great site we are also thinking of the 800 loop for our trip this summer.

I'm guessing MK for the first park

We have a winner.  Hoping to get the next installment out sometime today.

Ok ...  3 hours around DC  just plain sucks...   Thats why when I leave Pa.,  we take I 81 and then dash across  I 66 and finish on Va 17 and get on I 95 at Fredericksburg.   Secondly,   I already like Harry....  Sweet ZZ Top impression...  I'm sure he can be a handful...

Free OJ is always a ritual with us too.  It seems you got a good site and the hammock looks very inviting.  My first park choice is going to be Hollywood Studios, only because SSBB took the MK.

Coming from the Jersey Shore, I-81 is just too far away.  Yeah, Harry can be tough at times.  The hammock was inviting.  Wish I had more time to spend on it.  Between all the other activities and me getting sick (spoiler alert), only logged about 20 minutes on it the entire trip.

I could feel your pain about the traffic. As much as I love going back to Maryland to see my family, I wouldn't want to live there. Way too much traffic. Well unless you live on the Eastern Shore. That's nice and relaxing.

DC and northern Va.  on 95 SMB, we always use the 301 route from De. and get back to 95 at exit 104, one exit before Kings Dominion. You can go farther on 301 but this is what has worked best for us. Looks like a great site we are also thinking of the 800 loop for our trip this summer.

301 all the way down was our original plan but it was closed just south of the intersection with route 4 at a railroad grade crossing for repairs.  Didn't want to deal with that detour.  We did take it on our return trip home.  800 loop rocks.

Your ride was awfully long even without the extra three hours!  I'm guessing MK was your first park.

You think?  I thought spending max 8 hours a day true drive time was generous.  Leave around 8am.  Simple stops.  Arrive at campground around 5pm.  It did take 2.5 days to get there.  I don't think any of us felt we spent too much time in the truck (except for the first day, uggg).

We have a winner. Hoping to get the next installment out sometime .

Next time I'm in the area I will swing by to pick up my prize!

Speaking of in the area. It's time to start harassing you about bringing your family to the Easter GG. Will be somewhere in the Lancaster area most likely. Put it in your calendar now :)

And in case you need convincing

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/12612-maria-gettysburg-and-us/

And last one

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/12552-gettysburg-2014/

Next time I'm in the area I will swing by to pick up my prize!

Speaking of in the area. It's time to start harassing you about bringing your family to the Easter GG. Will be somewhere in the Lancaster area most likely. Put it in your calendar now :)

And in case you need convincing

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/12612-maria-gettysburg-and-us/

And last one

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/12552-gettysburg-2014/

Stop by anytime.  Just 4 miles from Seaside Heights.  You could stay in our camper.

Been following that GG.  May just have to do it next year.

Jeff

We Broke Splash Mountain

3/4 of my family are NOT morning people.  That being said, we must have been on a Disney high when we left the camper at around 9am for the boat ride to MK.

I originaly had Fast Pass + selections for the morning, but somewhere on this board it was recommended to setup the FP+ for later in the evening, when wait times were higher.  Great tip.  I changed the selections for later that eve. MDE app actually worked for this.

Plan was to hit the park, enjoy what we could, then return to FW for some afternoon downtime, returning later in the eve to take advantage of extra hours.  MK was open til 1am and we wanted to be there at closing.

Off we go...Magic Bands and all:

img_0745_zps33222f13.jpg

Selfie on boat:

img_0747_zps84cf5f17.jpg

Harry making the face I sooo love.......

img_0748_zpsd24584bc.jpg

The sheep coming from the MK parking lot:

img_0754_zps44bfb933.jpg

Wasn't sure how busy the park would be. Was planning for the worst, but pleasantly surprised.

Now, I'm not a fan of people. In fact, I think we all SMB. It's not that I feel clausterphobic, just can't stand stupidity and the 'Me' attitude. 

As a matter of fact, the whole trip was fairly pleasurable, except for one incident at HS in food line (later on that).  I can't recall anytime being very busy.  I'll take that as pixie dust for me.

Arrived at Main Street around 9:45.  Plan was to get in and over to Tomorrowland for Buzz and Space Mountain.

img_0756_zpsed39901e.jpg

The one and only character meet and greet:

img_0759_zps284aae88.jpg

Rode Buzz, Space Mountain, Tea Cups, Carousel, & Haunted Mansion.  All before 11am.  Everything was standby 20 mins or less.  Score.

img_0762_zpsf9cca6c8.jpg

A face only a Father could love.....

img_0763_zps10e6c7a9.jpg

img_0770_zps6c5af32e.jpg

My K Bear....

img_0773_zps61a971e4.jpg

After Haunted Mansion, time to scope out a spot for the FOF Parade.  TCD has mentioned in the past the cut thru from the waffle joint to the Castle.  I thought we could hang out there and check out the parade from a distance as it went over the bridge.  It was a bit hot out and we didn't want to bake in the sun.  This spot gave us shade and a view.  We waited:

img_0766_zps43f22005.jpg

Harry was not a fan of waiting.  He has the need to always be on the run.  He didn't want to wait and stated that the parade was 'boring'.

We got the last laugh:

img_0769_zps02053a80.jpg

Parade was just fine.  Didn't criticize it like some on this board......

Then, thanks to GaDawgFan.....Kelly I was able to get special FP+ reservations for BOG.  Sailed right in at our appointed 12:55 time and enjoyed lunch.

Got out of BOG and it was starting to rain.  We went to the RR in Fantasyland to take a ride and get out of the rain.  Closed.  Seems there was a severe storm approaching.  Off to Tomorrowland.  Wanted to go to the Laugh Floor with hopes to be 'That Guy'.  Laugh Floor had a 30 minute standby.  Not.

Then the skies opened up.  It rained.  And rained.  Option B, People Mover.  We had to actually wait a good 15 minutes for it, but it was dry...for the most part.

img_0776_zps1d78614d.jpg

Still raining after People Mover, we decided to get in line for Buzz again.  Standby weas 40 minutes, but I swear we were only in line for 20-25.

Figured we'd call it quits and get back to the Fort for some down-time.  Skies finally cleared and we enjoyed the afternoon.

20140415_173111_zps1419fb65.jpg

20140415_172941_zpsa31757af.jpg

Then back to MK for the evening.  I think it was around 8pm.

We had FP+ for Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain RR, and Space Mountain.

img_0782_zps27803c7e.jpg

Off to Splash Mountain. 

img_0784_zps72059845.jpg

All went well..... til the final drop.  About 1/3 way up, ride stops, lights come on.  Within 10 seconds lights go off, ride continues.  Then, it stops again.  Lights on.  May have happened 2-3 times til we reached around the middle of the way up.  Ride stops.  Lights on.  Message on PA that they are experiencing difficulties and ride will start shortly.  No Duh.  A good 10 minutes later, announcement that the ride will start immediately.  Yay.  Stuck for 10 minutes on a 45 degree incline ain't the greatest. 

Ride starts.  We get just to the top and again it stops.  Crap.  Within a minute tho we are going and enjoy the last drop.

We wrap around, just about to the waterfall and get log jammed with 3 other boats.  2 in front, one behind.

The End.  A CM comes around and explains that we will be evacuated from the ride in a few moments.

Here they are getting the folks out behind us:

img_0786_zpsa5ac1027.jpg

And in front of us:

img_0788_zps2a113bec.jpg

We had to walk the side all the way around and thru the service area:

img_0789_zps055e0483.jpg

A bunch of CM's were there at the end handing out these:

img_0794_zpsf0ea82c6.jpg

We did not need these for the rest of the day.  And, since this would be the only day at MK, we gave these to our neighbors on the 800 loop later on in the trip.

After Splash Mountain, we rode BTMRR on our FP+.  Didn't need FP+, as we rode it again 2 more times, all within a half hour.  Score.

Next, back to Tomorrowland, but not before just making the last presentation at Hall Of Presidents.  This was at 10:55pm.

Not sure if I like the new format.  Did it for the kids......

Customary shot of the Castle:

img_0793_zps4356e5fb.jpg

Rode Space Mountain at least 2 more times (maybe 3) and then made it to the Laugh Floor.  Wasn't That Guy, but Mama Deuce was on camera being asked to think (and say) a number between 1-50.

Free SM pic:

img_0795_zpsf0591075.jpg

Wrapped up the evening, making it close to our goal.  Could have waited the last 10 minutes, but we were beat and in need of rest.

img_0796_zps2fd10ef5.jpg

Not bad......

img_0798_zps7c2a816a.jpg

Next up.  We tackle Epcot and the Flower and Garden Festival.

Jeff

What a great day at the MK !  It was really cool that Stitch got to meet a real character like Harry !.   I loved the faces...   Wow that was some storm.   The photo from Tomorrowland looked like a complete deluge...     I hate those storms cause you get soaked and then chilled.   Nice job on fastpass use and kudos for staying till then end of extra magic !!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

I'm late, but awesome trip so far!!! Funny, when I first saw that "beard" on your son, I thought of the Duck Dynasty guys, not ZZ Top.

I am also gaining a huge dislike of DC area traffic, having to drove all the way across from Centreville, VA to Columbia, MD a few times this last couple of weeks.

OK- I just got caught up after a really busy weekend.

Great job on photographing the evacuation from Splash Mountain- I'm surprised that CM's didn't jump on you for snapping pics.

I've never seen one of those "Thrill Collection" re-entry passes.  I'd love to get my hands on some of those.  That was very nice of you to pass them on.

Looking forward to more.

TCD

Enjoying your TR. Congratulations on low wait times. I don't think that happens much any more.

Love the ZZ Top photo. Spanish moss is so versatile. Now I'm wondering what the picture is on the t-shirt with the Gingerbread Gone Bad caption.

Got stuck in that DC area traffic one time with 3 kids under the age of 5 after we'd already been on the road for 5 hours and they were not happy campers in their car seats. We got pulled over after I ordered DH to drive on the shoulder to the next exit. Luckily the cop saw how frazzled I was and just followed us to the exit where we got off and let them run around at a park.

You got a lot accomplished at MK!

It was better than I had ever imagined.

I am in and enjoying the trip!

Thanks

What a great day at the MK !  It was really cool that Stitch got to meet a real character like Harry !.   I loved the faces...   Wow that was some storm.   The photo from Tomorrowland looked like a complete deluge...     I hate those storms cause you get soaked and then chilled.   Nice job on fastpass use and kudos for staying till then end of extra magic !!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

They both have a Stitch plush.  The one character they wanted to meet and it was a breeze.

That rain just didn't stop.  There was at least 2-3 inches all over the ground.  Not the first or last time, I'm sure.

The R&R at FW was our savior for allowing us to make it to 1am.

I'm late, but awesome trip so far!!! Funny, when I first saw that "beard" on your son, I thought of the Duck Dynasty guys, not ZZ Top.

I am also gaining a huge dislike of DC area traffic, having to drove all the way across from Centreville, VA to Columbia, MD a few times this last couple of weeks.

Didn't think of Duck Dynasty.

DC SMB.

You had a great day in the MK!

Thing is, only planned one day.  Found out later that K Bear said to Mama Deuce that she wished we had another day.  Had I known, I may have made that work.  Oh well.

OK- I just got caught up after a really busy weekend.

Great job on photographing the evacuation from Splash Mountain- I'm surprised that CM's didn't jump on you for snapping pics.

I've never seen one of those "Thrill Collection" re-entry passes.  I'd love to get my hands on some of those.  That was very nice of you to pass them on.

Looking forward to more.

TCD

The only way that photographing worked was from reading on this forum.  I knew is was a no-no, so I stayed on the down-low.

I figured we were going to get some sort of FP for our loss.  Didn't know they were new.  Maybe due to the loss of the legacy FP, these will take the place of what was given out prior?

Pay it forward.  We didn't need them, nor were going back to MK.  I did talk later to a CM to see if we could trade for another park.  No Go.

Besides, when Harry and I were walking  our loop one day, another camper offered us 2 rider switch passes for HS.  More on that later.

Enjoying your TR. Congratulations on low wait times. I don't think that happens much any more.

Love the ZZ Top photo. Spanish moss is so versatile. Now I'm wondering what the picture is on the t-shirt with the Gingerbread Gone Bad caption.

Got stuck in that DC area traffic one time with 3 kids under the age of 5 after we'd already been on the road for 5 hours and they were not happy campers in their car seats. We got pulled over after I ordered DH to drive on the shoulder to the next exit. Luckily the cop saw how frazzled I was and just followed us to the exit where we got off and let them run around at a park.

I was pleasantly surprised at the low standby waits.  Pixie dust.

Nothing crazy on the t-shirt.  Just one Gingy stabbing another with icing.  Here's another pic that shows it better:

20140413_132526_zps503d0e80.jpg

Glad the cop was understanding.  DC SMB.

We Broke The Bus

It's Wednesday, April 16.  Today, Epcot.

I think we managed to get up at the crack of 9am.  Have I mentioned that 3/4 of the family are not morning people?

IIRC, we made it to the park around 10:30.  All the FP+ were for the early afternoon.  Plan was to look around, hit the rides, then Showcase for the afternoon/evening. 

Mama Deuce's Nephew, who works for the Mouse, met us for some of the time til he had to go to work.

Quick trip to Spaceship Earth:

img_0803_zpsb6a185a3.jpg

img_0805_zps5f85058e.jpg

Met up with Nephew and proceded to Innovations East.  Saw the line for the virtual roller coaster ride and had no want to wait.  Did the smart house tour.  Just wasting time.

Next, Mission Space.

Not sure if you've noticed, but Mama Deuce is not a fan of thrill rides. 

Tea cups, yes.  Carousel, yes.  Pirates, OK.  Nothing beyond that.

So, we had FP+ for Mission Space, but she's not going.  Enter Nephew.  He took MB and went with us. 

Thing is.  If you notice, when you tap the Mickey with the MB, your actual name comes up on a computer screen where the CMs stand. 

Nephew goes in, Mama Deuce's name pops up.  Not sure if they would enforce it, but it's possible they could deny access.  I liked MS. 

Off to Club Cool for free soft drinks.

Had to say goodbye to Nephew at this time.  I think it was around 2pm or 2:30pm.

On to The Land.

Ate at the quick serve.  Then Soarin.  Mama Deuce was going to do this.  She made it all the way in and just before loading in the chair, asked a CM if this ride goes high. 

Fail.  She bailed.  I think she would have liked it.  I wasn't impressed.  A bit outdated and did not like the way the scenes jumped from one to the other.

Then Captain EO.  Had to have the kids experience that.

Last FP was for Nemo.  We decided to bag it and go into the Showcase.

img_0806_zps1dc3725c.jpg

img_0807_zps28882df8.jpg

Buterfly Garden:

img_0808_zps875b3be4.jpg

img_0810_zps316a0e2f.jpg

img_0812_zps86909a84.jpg

img_0815_zps8f532818.jpg

Made it around to the Canada side.  Grabbed a regular Dole Whip for the kids and one with dark rum for the adults..

Got thru Canada and England:

img_0817_zpsdd0866f5.jpg

img_0820_zps58857bc3.jpg

img_0822_zpsca1ff05e.jpg

img_0825_zpsa3ab739d.jpg

Next 2 pictures are for TCD:

img_0827_zps501fe6b1.jpg

img_0829_zpse6409c02.jpg

We detoured and went to the Boardwalk.  I have never been, and probably will never be again, so figured while we're here, take a peek.

This is where Nephew  works (for now):

20140416_175137_zps7dc1638b.jpg

Made it back to Showcase.  Kids were complaining about being tired.  We knew our time was running out. 

Skipped France, ate a few items in Morocco ( I forget what), then headed to Japan.

Shopped a bit then figured we'd call it quits.  Did not want to stay for Illuminations and deal with everyone leaving the park at the same time.

I forget what time it was, but we just missed the last boat back to Future World (7:30?).

Also, not sure why I didn't take any more pictures.  I must have been beat as well.

Made it out of the park and to our bus stop.  After a few minutes, bus rolls in.

There are 2 electric carts that need to be loaded.

Driver goes to the back door, proceeds to open a control panel and press/turn a bunch of buttons/knobs.

Nothing.  Ramp doesn't move.

Driver then goes to the ramp and starts pounding it with his foot.  Back to controls.  Nothing.  More pounding with foot.  Back to controls.  Nothing.

He then starts to try to pry one area of the ramp.  Nothing.  Calls for help.  Goes back to controls.  Nothing.  More pounding with foot.

Now, I'm not sure, but I don't think that beating a ramp with your foot is in the Official Disney Tranportation Specialist Operating Policy & Procedures Handbook.  I could be wrong.

Help arrives.  More control fiddling.  More pounding.

Finally, one of them is able to pry up a section (looked like a manual override latch) and voila, the ramp opens up.  Cheers from the guests waiting patiently to load.

Now, here's the kicker.  They load one cart and then get it in their heads to fold the ramp back up before loading the second cart.  Guess what.  It folds up just fine, but doesn't unfold.

Back to manual override.  Knuckleheads.

img_0830_zps1c9468b8.jpg

We make it to WL where the cart folks are getting off.  All works well.  I guess whatever failed/came loose fixed itself on the ride over.

We were beat.  Parks sure take a lot out of you:

20140416_233301_zps9d94c35e.jpg

Next up.......Animal Kingdom.

Will we make it there before noon???

Jeff

It's too much of a pita to quote just the one part, but Mama is okay with teacups but not other stuff?!? Teacups are on my no way in hell list. Teacups are thrill rides in my opinion

Same here.  I'll ride RNR coaster, ToT and EE all day long, but no way am I getting on those vomit cups. 

Just happen to see the photo of the bus and thought I'd respond.

Now, I'm not sure, but I don't think that beating a ramp with your foot is in the Official Disney Tranportation Specialist Operating Policy & Procedures Handbook.  I could be wrong.

Guess what, you're wrong. Stepping on it, or a light stomp is usually enough to dislodge a sticky ramp.

Finally, one of them is able to pry up a section (looked like a manual override latch) and voila, the ramp opens up. 

It had to have been a rookie driver because right after he saw that it wasn't lifting, you don't call for help. You immediately use the handle to lift the ramp manually. It's an automatic and seamless procedure and guests shouldn't notice.

Now, here's the kicker.  They load one cart and then get it in their heads to fold the ramp back up before loading the second cart.  Guess what.  It folds up just fine, but doesn't unfold.

No clue why he did that, had to have been a rookie.

If the ramp sticks once, it will likely stick again.

Back to manual override.  Knuckleheads.

We make it to WL where the cart folks are getting off.  All works well.  I guess whatever failed/came loose fixed itself on the ride over.

Nothing failed, just a ramp that needs an adjustment. It happens on a regular basis. As long as you have an experienced driver, it's not an issue and isn't even noticed by riders. There are hundreds of clueless new drivers and most work nights.