• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It sleeps up to 8 people. That's only $262.50-$362.50 per person per night. When y'all have your renewal of vows ceremony just get 4 couples, 8 people. I will only need it for 4 nights. So if we

I was just at Trader Sams in march. If it's like the one at DL I think it'll be my new favorite stop on my monorail pub crawl. It's really cool.

No, not in the quick serve place.  But there will be one in every new bungalow.  All the Dole Whip you can eat, for only $4000/night. 

Disney Food Blog posted a review and a bunch of photos of Trader Sam's here...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/03/29/first-look-trader-sams-grog-grotto-at-disney-worlds-polynesian-village-resort/

Some excerpts...

trader-sams-grog-grotto-menu-1-349x625.j

Specialty Drink menu

trader-sams-grog-grotto-menu-2-377x625.j

Beer, wine, and Appetizer menu

11082438_10206463519884367_1979841365846

Pan-fried Dumplings

trader-sams-grog-grotto-glass-469x625.jp

HippopotaMai-Tai

Schweitzer-Falls-Tropical-Juices-and-Sam

Schweitzer Falls at Trader Sam’s Tiki Bar

Uh-Oa-Light-and-Dark-Rums-orange-passion

Uh-Oa

11083881_10206463517244301_4403515570446

Chicken Lettuce Wraps, pre-assembly

11108950_10206463517764314_2576485822747

Roasted Chicken and Pork Paté Bán Mì Sliders

11014671_10206463520044371_6334267841863

Headhunter Sushi Roll

trader-sams-grog-grotto-kalua-pork-tacos

Kalua Pork Tacos

trader-sams-grog-grotto-souvenir-shot-gl

Rum Flight souvenir glasses

10410170_10206463520004370_5795480514369

The Nautilus

trader-sams-grog-grotto-tahitian-torch-3

Tahitian Torch

The TCD gang hereby claims TSTTBR (Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace Bragging Rights).

We visited the Polynesian Village Resort on Saturday, April 4.

It was a beautiful day.

We found the very small and well hidden entrance to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto.  We were told the wait would be 2.5 to 3 hours.  Sure, I thought as I took our pager.

Fortunately, we found a table outside on the Trader Sam's Tiki TerraceTM where they serve the same menu as the Grog Grotto.

Except there is one item which is only served on the Tiki Terrace.

The Spikey Pineapple:

4%204%2015%20165_zpswmwgmk32.jpg

Which is Dole Whip with rum.

Which I had to try.  It's the drink on the right in this photo.  The drink on the left is Twin #1's non-alcoholic beverage:

4%204%2015%20168_zpsn9vnd4u1.jpg

Did you notice that there are no prices on the menu?

You know what that means.

My drink was $10.50.

Here's our pager:

4%204%2015%20166_zpss7t4d3hi.jpg

We enjoyed ourselves outside, and then had some dinner at Captain Cook's.

We checked the wait situation a couple of times while there.  After two hours and 45 minutes, we had not been paged.

And we gave up.

We delivered some pixie dust to a lucky couple who was just showing up to get on the wait list by handing them our pager.

TSGGBR (Trader Sam's Grog Grotto Bragging Rights) are, therefore, still up for grabs.

They are not lying about the long waits.

TCD

We delivered some pixie dust to a lucky couple who was just showing up to get on the wait list by handing them our pager.

TSGGBR (Trader Sam's Grog Grotto Bragging Rights) are, therefore, still up for grabs.

They are not lying about the long waits.

TCD

Yeah I don't expect that's going to change for a loooooooong time. What time of day did you go?  I'm wondering if later in the evening (maybe during the "no kids" time) will be better or worse.

Excellent attempt though, and big props for the scoop on the Spikey Pineapple!

Hopefully the lucky couple you passed your pager along to was able to get in.

Yeah I don't expect that's going to change for a loooooooong time. What time of day did you go?  I'm wondering if later in the evening (maybe during the "no kids" time) will be better or worse.

Excellent attempt though, and big props for the scoop on the Spikey Pineapple!

Hopefully the lucky couple you passed your pager along to was able to get in.

We showed up a little after 5:30 pm on a Saturday night (the night before Easter).  Not the best time.

One of the reasons we had to surrender was that the twins are only 19, and it's only 21 and above after 8 pm.  I do think waits would be shorter on a weeknight and after 8 pm.

The problem is that they will only allow a maximum of 50 guests at a time inside, and people apparently camp out in there once they get in.

The outside area is very nice, and they had a live musician singing and playing the ukulele.  I'm sure the inside is a lot more fun, but sitting out on the terrace wasn't bad.  You can get all of the same food and drinks out there.

One strategy I meant to mention is that only one person for the party has to check in for the pager.  A group at the MK could send a volunteer pager scout over to claim the pager and wait things out, and that person could then call or text the rest of the group over when the time is near.

TCD

A reporter from the Tampa Bay Times apparently attended the media event last week and drank the Kool Aid.  His article is here:

Text in case the article disappears: http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/disneys-polynesian-village-resort-gets-vintage-makeover/2223774

At Walt Disney World, which is currently going through a resortwide construction makeover — from parks to hotels to the mess that is Downtown Disney — the future is often in the past.

Reinforcing and circling back on its brand and legacy is something newer theme parks — for instance, Universal Orlando or Legoland — just can't do.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released in 1937, and yet kids born three years ago know the classic by heart. When the Magic Kingdom revealed its $425 million New Fantasyland expansion, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, for all its newfangled coaster technology, felt old-school, familiar. That wasn't an accident.

Starting this week, guests should feel that same vintage vibe at a reimagined Polynesian Village Resort, one of the original on-property hotels — and thus sacred among Disney nerds — when Uncle Walt's Florida empire opened on Oct. 1, 1971.

As Imagineering art director Kyle Barnes told me, it's all about "weaving the Disney DNA into a project."

Before we get to the starriest changes at the Polynesian — the Bora Bora Bungalows and Trader Sam's Grog Grotto, each one Disney-fied to dizzying degrees — the most jarring aesthetic twist at the hotel is the lobby of the Great Ceremonial House.

For 40-plus years, guests checking in were greeted by a jungle, a waterfall, tropical lushness. That's gone now, tiki weeds whacked. There's now a clean view through the lobby to the Seven Seas Lagoon and Cinderella Castle across the water.

But whereas the lobby is now low-key — and rather dull by Disney's deluxe resort standards — the other additions are creatively impressive, the Mouse House in full show-off mode.

There are 20 Bora Bora Bungalows — stilt houses sitting over the waters of the Seven Seas Lagoon — available to regular guests and Disney Vacation Clubbers (think timeshares), with room rates starting at $2,178 a night.

Yep, you read that right. And that's where they "start," with per-night pricing possibly climbing upwards of $3,400 a night. The Mickey Mouse Club might have been "made for you and me," but alas, the Bora Bora Bungalows aren't. That's a gaudy price for a rare breed of clientele.

But hey, the bungalows sure are gorgeous. They sleep 10, and have a full kitchen, two bedrooms, two baths, a full back porch, a small "plunge pool," and views of the Magic Kingdom and the nighttime fireworks. The Magic Kingdom music is pumped into a sound system in your place. Because, well, of course it is.

Even cooler? All of the tikified artwork, much of it original, in the Bora Bora Bungalows was created by Disney and Pixar animators. The bedspread in the master bedroom is by the late Mary Blair, whose artistic vision is most prevalent on the It's a Small World ride. There's a wall-wide painting in the master bedroom with nods to the Enchanted Tiki Room ride and even Orange Bird, a character Disney created for the Florida Citrus Commission in 1970. (I'm a giant dork.)

"The visual cues I used to design the Bora Bora Bungalows, which are not real Tahitian bungalows of course, were based on the original 1971 concept of the Polynesian," Barnes said.

Barnes was also the art director for the original Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel in California that opened a few years ago. Imagine a dark, spooky TGI Friday's where all the wall knickknacks come to life.

Barnes was brought in to work on the Florida sequel, the nautically themed Trader Sam's Grog Grotto, located in the Polynesian's Great Ceremonial House. The bar only seats 50 people, not unlike the popular and packed La Cava del Tequila inside Epcot's Mexico pavilion. (There's an outside terrace but it's not tricked out.) Reservations are not taken, meaning that the wait times will be ridiculous and might lead to some post-park-hopping crankiness among your troops.

But much like the bungalows, this is pretty cool, too. Trader Sam is the head-hunter from the Jungle Cruise ride. Remember? "He'll gladly trade two of his heads for one of yours." As Barnes tells me: "Everything at Disney starts with a story." So shifty, shady Trader Sam has moved from head-shrinking potions to rum mixology.

When you order different tropical drinks at Trader Sam's, different effects are triggered. The Uh-Oa libation — light and dark rums, orange, passion fruit, guava, grapefruit, falernum, cinnamon and lime — makes the animatronic Tiki Goddess of Disaster get angry. There are also tentacles, makeshift storms, all manner of surprises and group chant-alongs. Drinks are served in gaudy mugs, such as the Nautilus ( tbtim.es/g6h), a nod to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. There's also a small quirky food menu, including Head Hunter Sushi with hibiscus syrup, "to give it that blood effect," said James Kleinschmidt, Disney's concept development chef.

More changes are coming at the Polynesian, including a refurbished main pool area (don't worry, the volcano slide stays) and 360-degree villas, which sleep five and start at $439 a night. When it's all finished this spring, it will no doubt look spectacular; at the same time, it will no doubt look almost like you remembered it.

That's the Disney way.

"How do you make enhancements to an iconic, beloved and original resort?" said Ken Potrock, senior vice-president and general manager of the Disney Vacation Club. "Whatever we did, we had to make it look like it did from the outset."

Contact Sean Daly at [email protected]. Follow @seandalypoplife.

Project Disney

Walt Disney himself once said that his parks would never be finished, that they would constantly evolve. He wasn't kidding, especially if you look around Disney World today. Here are a few construction sites and developments currently under way:

• Downtown Disney is a jackhammered mess as the resort's shopping district slowly turns into Disney Springs. There will be a Town Center, "bubbling natural springs" and a marketplace that will expand from 75 shops to 150. Completion is scheduled for 2016.

• The Pirates of the Caribbean ride in the Magic Kingdom will be shut down for refurbishment from May 5 to Sept. 25, an oddly timed closure smack-dab in the middle of the summer.

• The trolls-aplenty Maelstrom boat ride at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot was shuttered in 2014 to make way for a new dark ride based on Frozen, the highest-grossing animated movie of all time. Starring Anna, Elsa and Olaf the Snowman, the new attraction should be open by 2016 — just in time for Frozen 2, no doubt.

• Also at Epcot, Innoventions West, the interactive educational hall that housed the Great Piggy Bank Adventure, will be shuttered for good April 29. Plans for the space have not been revealed.

• Two of the resort's most popular rides — Toy Story Midway Mania at Hollywood Studios and Soarin' at Epcot — are both being expanded to accommodate more guests. Construction should be done by 2016, but whether the construction will affect ride closures is not clear.

• The iconic Sorcerer's Hat at Hollywood Studios was recently leveled. (Total bummer.) The Backlot Tour is now kaput, as well. What's coming next is one of the best kept secrets at the resort. An expanded Star Wars land perhaps?

TCD

That article is a lot to do about a bunch of stilt bungalows, the insides of which most people -- like most Fort Fiends -- will never see the insides of.

$3000-a-night-bungalows, a 50 seat bar serving $11 drinks, and a needlessly bulldozed-wide-open lobby.

Dislike.

I do like the new/old name and the new sign, though. So that's something.

Amazing, isn't it, how success turns so many people into fans? Fans willing to pay $3000 a night to stay. When the place first opened in the 70s, they were worried about too much occupancy.

We showed up a little after 5:30 pm on a Saturday night (the night before Easter).  Not the best time.

One of the reasons we had to surrender was that the twins are only 19, and it's only 21 and above after 8 pm.  I do think waits would be shorter on a weeknight and after 8 pm.

The problem is that they will only allow a maximum of 50 guests at a time inside, and people apparently camp out in there once they get in.

The outside area is very nice, and they had a live musician singing and playing the ukulele.  I'm sure the inside is a lot more fun, but sitting out on the terrace wasn't bad.  You can get all of the same food and drinks out there.

One strategy I meant to mention is that only one person for the party has to check in for the pager.  A group at the MK could send a volunteer pager scout over to claim the pager and wait things out, and that person could then call or text the rest of the group over when the time is near.

TCD

Great info and suggestions - thanks!!

Just curious but did you (TCD) get to stick your head into the tiki bar? If yes. How does it compare to the one at Disneyland?

That's a good question.

The entry door to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto (not Tiki Bar) is in the interior hallway down from Captain Cook's.  It's not a freestanding building with an exterior entrance like at Disneyland.  There was a CM stationed outside acting as a bouncer.  If you wanted to get on the wait list, he would open the door and go in and come back out with the pager. The CM was friendly, and we chatted with him a couple of times.  I specifically asked him if I could just look inside. He said no.  I was able to see inside a couple of times when the door opened and closed, and from what I saw, it looked very much like the Disneyland one.  The room is very small, with just a few tables and the bar.

TCD

More changes are coming at the Polynesian, including a refurbished main pool area (don't worry, the volcano slide stays) and 360-degree villas, which sleep five and start at $439 a night. When it's all finished this spring, it will no doubt look spectacular; at the same time, it will no doubt look almost like you remembered it.

I don't remember hearing anything about 360 degree villas? 

Is that new or did I just miss it?

Where are they going?

WBI