I haven't tried mine on a comfort station yet, but when I was checking in last night, the guard was scanning magic bands for returning guests

OK, thanks.  Keep us posted.  We are waiting to hear if they work.  We are ALL EARS.  :rofl2:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I know a bunch of you Fiends are milling around the Fort with nothing better to do so... after you find out the answer to Marty's lemonade question, can somebody confirm if the magic bands are fina

1500 is effective the 23rd as well. Both automated gates switched over as of yesterday. The was a surprise, they have had notices up regarding the comfort stations, but nothing about the gates.

I am still mystified as to why they are installing the fancy light-up Mickey head scanners on the Fort Comfort Stations.   I did a little research this past weekend.   The Contemporary uses the simple

Just got notice that our bands for our trip first weekend in October have been shipped. It would be nice if they worked on the CSs this time. Hate trying to dig around the tent in the dark to find a card in the middle of the night....

I haven't tried mine on a comfort station yet, but when I was checking in last night, the guard was scanning magic bands for returning guests

Interesting!

We will be there on the 19th and will try our Magic Bands to see if they open the comfort stations. Last year, we could not get our bands OR our cards to open,but the cards were fixed and we were in.

~Laura

I've got a huge stack of blank KTTW cards from this years Wild Womenz Weekend trip.  They originally tried giving us one card... for 8 women.

:rofl2:

They ended up giving us 2 sets for everyone.

Maybe I'll decoupage a table with them.  8)

You can opt for the RFID enabled card instead.

I plan to continue using my AP instead of the MB unless something changes in the next few weeks.  Sounds like MBs are still a hassle.

I plan to continue using my AP instead of the MB unless something changes in the next few weeks.  Sounds like MBs are still a hassle.

I thought I'd mind wearing it, but even though it was 4,298 degrees when I was there in May, and I was quite melty, it really wasn't bad.  I just wore it super loose.

MB's.  Bah!  Our kids can't get their arms twisted to line up with the readers that work.  We wind up putting them in pocket or purse.  In fact I keep mine in my pocket until needed, but it's more troublesome than reaching for a card.

MB's.  Bah!  Our kids can't get their arms twisted to line up with the readers that work.  We wind up putting them in pocket or purse.  In fact I keep mine in my pocket until needed, but it's more troublesome than reaching for a card.

You can still request a card. I did for Z in July because he doesn't like wearing his band sometimes. 

Interesting!

I've got a huge stack of blank KTTW cards from this years Wild Womenz Weekend trip.  They originally tried giving us one card... for 8 women.

:rofl2:

They ended up giving us 2 sets for everyone.

Maybe I'll decoupage a table with them.  8)

DO IT!  And post it on the craft thread!

Or - you could make a little purse with them - kinda like those ones made from juice drink pouches?

hehehe

So, it occasionally gets the gate open if you hold it at just the right angle on the sensor, but if I have on either wrist on ToT, it knows I am there and adds a video to my Memory Maker account?  

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? 8)

Exactly!

You are a quick learner, Marty!

And this technology is being brought to us by the same company that is able to provide Wi-Fi service throughout in its gigantic theme parks, but cannot figure out a way to provide it to a measly campground.

Not to worry though, you can borrow an internet kit at the Trading Post, which provides state of the art (circa 2001) internet service to your campsite!

TCD

You are a quick learner, Marty!

And this technology is being brought to us by the same company that is able to provide Wi-Fi service throughout in its gigantic theme parks, but cannot figure out a way to provide it to a measly campground.

Not to worry though, you can borrow an internet kit at the Trading Post, which provides state of the art (circa 2001) internet service to your campsite!

TCD

It's the artificial trees blocking the Wi-Fi access!

Wi-Fi could be done, but it would be a major undertaking to get decent reception througout the Fort. The equipment would need to be kept safe and dry.  Even if they tried to install it at each comfort station the sites on the back of the loops would probably be lacking service. Then you would open up another can of worms about some sites are better than others.  They could build some sort of secure box/shack on the backside of the loops to get better coverage, but again that costs $$ that they may not recoup.

Should they do it?  I'd say yes.  Will they do it, probably not.  It won't make them any extra $$$.  In fact it might keep people at their sites more and out of the stores, diners, parks where they could be spending $$$$$.

It's the artificial trees blocking the Wi-Fi access!

Wi-Fi could be done, but it would be a major undertaking to get decent reception througout the Fort. The equipment would need to be kept safe and dry.  Even if they tried to install it at each comfort station the sites on the back of the loops would probably be lacking service. Then you would open up another can of worms about some sites are better than others.  They could build some sort of secure box/shack on the backside of the loops to get better coverage, but again that costs $$ that they may not recoup.

Should they do it?  I'd say yes.  Will they do it, probably not.  It won't make them any extra $$$.  In fact it might keep people at their sites more and out of the stores, diners, parks where they could be spending $$$$$.

You know more about it than I do, Mark, but I don't understand how they can provide Wi-Fi coverage throughout a theme park, but not at a campground.  The colleges my daughters attend have trees and buildings everywhere, yet, they can get a Wi-Fi signal anywhere on campus.  They can put up a few poles and antennas around the loops and provide coverage.  Heck, if they wanted to, they could provide an antenna at every site.  That's what they do in the cabins. 

You are absolutely right. It comes down to money.  The Fort management has made it quite clear from prior decisions that they are more interested in charging the highest prices they can while providing the bare minimum that they can get away with. Some would call that short-sighted. But, the idiots in charge don't care about tomorrow.  They just want a pretty profit statement today.

This same thinking is why Magic Bands won't work on the Comfort Stations.  Could they find a way to make them work?  Of course.  But that would cost a lot more than handing out blank KTTW cards.  So, it's not happening.

TCD

You know more about it than I do, Mark, but I don't understand how they can provide Wi-Fi coverage throughout a theme park, but not at a campground.  The colleges my daughters attend have trees and buildings everywhere, yet, they can get a Wi-Fi signal anywhere on campus.  They can put up a few poles and antennas around the loops and provide coverage.  Heck, if they wanted to, they could provide an antenna at every site.  That's what they do in the cabins. 

You are absolutely right. It comes down to money.  The Fort management has made it quite clear from prior decisions that they are more interested in charging the highest prices they can while providing the bare minimum that they can get away with. Some would call that short-sighted. But, the idiots in charge don't care about tomorrow.  They just want a pretty profit statement today.

TCD

I'm not an expert by far, but if you think about it, probably every building/kiosk in the parks and the hotels have some sort of network connection for everything from their POS (cash registers) to who knows what.  So it's fairly simple to add wireless equipment onto the network infrastructure that's in place. Run a cable and power to the attic and stick a Wi-Fi router and away you go. 

Fort is another animal.  Only things secure in the loops are the comfort stations.  That's not to say they couldn't add equipment sheds and the necessary equipment to the loops, but it all boils down to the almighty dollar.

Will it benefit them in the long run?  I'm sure the bean counters have said NO!

Reading the posts the last year or so since I've been active, I feel like my family is in the minority of Fort campers.  We are the oddballs that only camp and don't do parks.  Most posts talk about how everyone is planning their days in the parks and doing dinner reservations.  So those people are going to get their internet "fixes" and not have withdrawal symptoms while they are waiting in lines or eating.  They will be at the parks spending money and not sitting in their campers surfing on where to spend their $$ off Disney properties.

I would like to see the Fort guests treated just as well as the other resort guests, but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.  We are an underclass that refuses to disappear.  We aren't held hostage having to purchase all of our meals and drinks from Disney vendors, so even if our site rents approach the cost of a value resort, they still don't make as much $$ off of us on the extras.  Yeah, they don't have to provide linens, ac, or maid service, but they don't get our food dollars.

And if they provide mediocre service for outrageous prices, eventually people will get disgusted and stop coming, then they can convert the entire Fort into DVC cabins.

The only other cheep way I see to add Wifi is to add it to the power poles every few sites. But that woudl be alot of equipment to maintain and special weather proof boxes added.

The tech people have been saying that for years which would mean a proliferation of antennas so eveyone gets a good useable signal. The other alternative is remove the trees and vegetation between sites.