My 1st Hand Account of the Monorail Evacuation!

Late to the show on this one, BUT, wanted to share my 1st hand account of my experience being evacuated from the monorail - - -

YES, my 10-year-old daughter and I were on the monorail when it STOPPED due to a big lightening strike (though it struck the power source and NOT the train).  We all heard a really loud bang of thunder and heard the power and air shut off.  I will tell you the media made it sound MUCH more dramatic than it was...although I think there may have been more dramatic people on other cars. I know there was more than one call to 911 because they finally came over the intercomm and said "please stop calling 911, the fire department is already here." and "Stop trying to remove the train car windows." Our car spent most of the time chatting and drawing sad mickey faces and SOS signs on the window condensation. :rofl2:

It was a little hot, but not dangerous. We were on the train about 30 minutes and they kept announcing that they were trying to get the power going. Once it had been 45 minutes, the police and fire trucks started arriving and they begin evacuation procedures. I'm not sure how car 4 thru 6 were evacuated, but we were taken out through the roof of car 3, then down into car 2, up on the roof of car 2, and down into car 1 where a catwalk and metal staircase had been constructed. I believe that car 5 & 6 were evacuated through the regular doors and onto a fireman's ladder - maybe it was too dangerous to cross 4 cars on the roof??

All and all it was handled quite well, and quickly as could be expected, and in a professional manner.  I know some folks that hung around were given free passes, but my daughter and I jumped on one of 6 waiting buses and went onto Epcot becasue we had already missed our fast pass to meet Mickey - - BUT a quick chat with the cast member about our adventure and she let us in the fast pass line to see Mickey anyway!

We will be telling this story for YEARS!!!

Wow! I was on the monorail one time during a lightening store and it stopped once and I was trying not to panic. Two of my biggest fears are lightening storms and heights. My kids, of course, were joking about how they would get down. So in case this ever happens to me I have to ask - were there any bodies that had to be passed by hand up and down through the cars because the person was too freaked out to move?

Honestly, no one was really freaked out in our car. My daughter got pretty upset when she found out she was going to have to go out the roof, but there were 3 really cute firemen on top of the train to help every step of the way, so there was not point at which you were on your own...someone always had a hold of you...

I am not great at heights either, so I understand the fear factor. If no one had been up there to help, I would have totally freaked! And despite how the story got reported, you didn't have to crawl very far to get down into the next car. And I don't think it actually get evacuated very often at all. We past the time in the train by googling monorail evacuations to see if we were "special." LOL!

Ok....I believe you.   :rofl3:

Your comment about the "cute firemen" reminds me of when we were evacuated from our house late at night when we flooded.  We had to walk up the street through waist high, moving water, so each of my teenage daughters got the arm of a fireman to help them and ensure they weren't "swept away".  I think they were "swept away" in a different sense.   :rofl2:

... I think there may have been more dramatic people on other cars. I know there was more than one call to 911 because they finally came over the intercomm and said "please stop calling 911, the fire department is already here." and "Stop trying to remove the train car windows." Our car spent most of the time chatting and drawing sad mickey faces and SOS signs on the window condensation. :rofl2:

Thanks so much for sharing your story!  Wow, it's truly amazing how much the media and the interwebz can blow something up.

I love your account of your NON-dramatic car (I can picture drawing on the windows, LOL) and the announcements would have cracked me up.

...   I know some folks that hung around were given free passes, but my daughter and I jumped on one of 6 waiting buses and went onto Epcot becasue we had already missed our fast pass to meet Mickey - - BUT a quick chat with the cast member about our adventure and she let us in the fast pass line to see Mickey anyway!

Love everything about that!!

Honestly, no one was really freaked out in our car. My daughter got pretty upset when she found out she was going to have to go out the roof, but there were 3 really cute firemen on top of the train to help every step of the way, so there was not point at which you were on your own...someone always had a hold of you...

Everybody knows a cute fireman makes everything better.  8)

Oh and kudos for the photos!!

Wonder why the did't just use the Monorail tow train it is diesel powered

Somewhere I read said because of where it stopped (not a regular part of the track) they couldn't tow it.

It was on a regular part of the track when it stopped and I wondered why they couldn't they tow it also.

It stopped at the worst possible place, right on the switch track in front of the WL. It blocked the exit for the tow vehicle that was only yards away, but they also couldn't switch the track so that a tow vehicle from the maintenance facility could get to it. If you look at the satellite view of that switch area, you'll see what I mean. I'm thinking that's a design flaw that needs to be addressed.

I wonder how they evac the young and the infirm.  I have concerns with bad backs and bad knees that can't crawl far and 2-3 kids in wheelchairs.  Heights, I might deal with.  Maybe Lou is right.

That would be a concern.  I know that my mother could not have crawled out.  My daughter (who is physically healthy, but a huge drama girl ;) )... it might have been tricky getting her out.  Our little guy, on the other hand, would have been "woo hoo.. a chance to climb!" :)

Ok....I believe you.   :rofl3:

Your comment about the "cute firemen" reminds me of when we were evacuated from our house late at night when we flooded.  We had to walk up the street through waist high, moving water, so each of my teenage daughters got the arm of a fireman to help them and ensure they weren't "swept away".  I think they were "swept away" in a different sense.   :rofl2:

Very cute :)

That don't make since the tow trian can tow frow anywhere on any beam.

As per my previous post, there is at least one place where the tow vehicle can't get to it.

It blocked the exit for the tow vehicle that was only yards away, but they also couldn't switch the track so that a tow vehicle from the maintenance facility could get to it. If you look at the satellite view of that switch area, you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the monorail, When I heard about people being evacuated through the roof my fear of heights was telling me not to ride it again but, I think my daughter likes the monorail more than some of the park rides.