What is your perception vs reality of being a CM

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May be magical for you but what about all the other poor unsuspecting souls.  

One of these days you're gonna think, gee, I wish I could get into that Illuminations VIP viewing area so that I don't have to find a spot an hour before they start. And you'll also think, I shoulda b

Though we cant give out castle suite stays or family vacations, every CM has the power to give little things to help make the guest experience better.   An ice cream for the little princess who droppe

My 2 cents.

It seems like there are two types of CMs at Disney.

Those who work there out of necessity and those who work there because it's Disney.

Ok maybe three types...those work there out of necessity and because it's Disney.

I would only work there if I could be the "because it's Disney" CM.

And I don't want a job in the parks. Unless I was a diver at the Seas.

The reason I don't want to work in the parks is that I'm afraid it would spoil The magic for me.

there are two types of CMs at Disney. Those who work there out of necessity and those who work there because it's Disney.

maybe three types...those work there out of necessity and because it's Disney.

Good point Ray, there are those three types of CMs.

I can't say what the percentages are for each category.

Exactly. But not to everyone, sadly.

Sadly your right.

My father was a psychiatrist and worked at Camarillo State hospital after retiring from the army and he would occasionally bring home

One of the "kids". (That's what he called the patients/residences at the hospital) for a BBQ, or holiday meal. One kid was named Pete, (he had Down syndrome), he was a teenager ( I was 7 or 8) the first time he came to our home. For the next 10+ years he was at our house several times a year.

He was like family. but I do remember some ignorant people make some mean remarks about him. Not only did it hurt him but it hurt me.

And unfortunately now being married to a Special Ed teacher/director I still see it. The difference now is I'm big enough to say something to the jerks. And I do.

My perception ... a job at Disney is a lot like being in the military. One way to do things; a lot of rules and regulations; sometimes it's good ... and other times it can really suck. With that being said, I would only want to work at Disney in narrowly defined roles. Most of those roles don't exist.

Wildlife Control Officer at the Fort is one I could enjoy. Identity (and teach) about wildlife that shows up at sites. Have a number for campers to call. I show up, capture if necessary, give a little lesson - especially for kids, relocate animals as required. I am an IWRC certified Wildlife Rehabilitator; I had Federal permits for rehabilitation, teaching, etc and could easily obtain them again. I have dealt with Bats to Bears, Hummingbirds to Eagles, Reptiles and Amphibians (5 foot gators and poisonous snakes included). Chances of Disney ever having a job like that ... slim to none.

I would love to be a CM but it will have to wait until working for a paycheck is not such a necessity. The pay versus gas is not feasible. I already know what I want, I want to be a bus driver when I grow up. I remember being a child and loading on a bus, the drivers were so friendly. Before the automated systems, they would talk to you on the microphones, joke, laugh, answer questions. Now when you ride the bus alot of times it seems that unless you say a greeting first, it doesn't happen. For many people the bus ride is their first Disney experience and it should be an introduction to what they will be experiencing for the rest of the day. I want to go back to when drivers were true CM "entertainment" rather simple modes of transportation.

As far as the strict rules, I'm all for it. ..it's what makes it magical!

I would love to be a CM but it will have to wait until working for a paycheck is not such a necessity. The pay versus gas is not feasible. I already know what I want, I want to be a bus driver when I grow up. I remember being a child and loading on a bus, the drivers were so friendly. Before the automated systems, they would talk to you on the microphones, joke, laugh, answer questions. Now when you ride the bus alot of times it seems that unless you say a greeting first, it doesn't happen. For many people the bus ride is their first Disney experience and it should be an introduction to what they will be experiencing for the rest of the day. I want to go back to when drivers were true CM "entertainment" rather simple modes of transportation.

As far as the strict rules, I'm all for it. ..it's what makes it magical!

Those strict rules is why the bus drivers dont talk much anymore. Lou will chime in shortly. 

I don't think this is my perception but more of a question if this is possible.

I would like to drive the boats at DTD. The ones that go to POR, POFQ, OKW, and SSR. I would like to start work January 1st and work till the end of May.

Is this possible?

That sounds like a seasonal position and I don't know if the Watercraft dept. has seasonal CMs, buses don't.

My perception ... a job at Disney is a lot like being in the military.

If it is, and I'm not saying it is, I would consider that a positive.

Not having been in the military, I can't really make the comparison, but I guess there are some things that are military-like.

Maybe that is why being a CM would not work for DH after about 32 years in the military he would like to be out of a uniform and more laid back.

Sounds like your perception is the same as Eds?

There are a lot of former military CMs and they appear to have adapted well.

Another time, an attendant pulled my blind son up front to feel the firefighter's gear at Epcot during a demo.

To me, this is the type of cast member that can make a vacation. I don't think all of them would realize letting a blind child touch something actually engages him in the conversation. This cast member was aware of his audience and sensitive enough to want to make a difference.

I remember being a child and loading on a bus, the drivers were so friendly. Before the automated systems, they would talk to you on the microphones, joke, laugh, answer questions. Now when you ride the bus alot of times it seems that unless you say a greeting first, it doesn't happen. For many people the bus ride is their first Disney experience and it should be an introduction to what they will be experiencing for the rest of the day. I want to go back to when drivers were true CM "entertainment" rather simple modes of transportation.

That's more of a what would I like to do at WDW instead of the perception, but I do have a little bit of experience with WDW buses.

Many people feel the way you do, but there is a serious issue to take into account when it comes to the buses, passenger safety.

About five years ago, Disney Transportation established operational guidelines for drivers and it didn't include being entertainers. It discouraged entertaining guests while the bus is moving. But some old and new drivers haven't gotten the message and still yak away as they're driving down the road at night with 75 people on board, if they have a working Mic.

There should be no interacting with guests if the bus is moving, or moving more than 5 mph. That's considered distracted driving.

They even disable the little black box that the driver interacts with, once the bus reach's a certain speed. It wasn't always that that way. And if you're observed trying to make an entry by a manager, you may be in trouble.

There are four surveillance cameras on each bus recording what the driver is doing and what the bus is doing at all times. If something should happen while Shecky is doing his Disney Standup trivia routine, or singing Happy Birthday, it's recorded. Depending on what the incident was, they'll either receive a reprimand or terminated based on the video.

I left the entertaining to the people that are paid to do it, and do it better than some old geezer ever will.

If you're on a WDW bus, you've already been exposed to a fair amount of Disney magic before you get on.

Well when you put it that way, I feel like a schmuck for suggesting it....it's just something that stuck out for me when I was a kid. Even so, maybe the greetings coming and going could be a bit more outgoing. I'd still want to be a CM someday...

Whatbis your background Lou? You have some obvious grand experience but since I'm new here, I'd love to here all the jobs you have/had at Disney.

Well when you put it that way, I feel like a schmuck for suggesting it....it's just something that stuck out for me when I was a kid. Even so, maybe the greetings coming and going could be a bit more outgoing. I'd still want to be a CM someday...

Whatbis your background Lou? You have some obvious grand experience but since I'm new here, I'd love to here all the jobs you have/had at Disney.

Don't feel like a schmuck. I'm supposed to call Fiends that, and then they can feel like a schmuckface.

Many, many, people have expressed the same sentiments you have about the change in the drivers.

Before transferring a few months ago to "Park Events Ops" as a Convention Guide, I was a bus driver for six years.

While having an engineering consulting business, I would take six months off every four or five years and be a CM for about six months.

My first time as a CM was eighteen years ago last month and I've been rehired a half a dozen times or so.

I've been a Front Desk CM at two resorts, a Bell Cap at three resorts, a Concierge at one resort, a bus driver, and a convention guide.

Ill chime in on the military similarities.

Being former military and a present CM I can give a first hand account.

Disney and the military are very similar in the respect to the rules they impose on their employees (so to speak). They take these rules very seriously and are very structured in how they operate. They have a set plan and follow that plan.

As a CM, you can participate in the magic, but you must first ensure the rules are followed. For example, I see wishes nearly every night I work. But I do not see a magical display over Cinderella castle. I am formulating plans on how to safely and efficiently clear the streets for the mad rush after it is over. Ensuring the safety of our photographers that are in the middle of the ocean of people up and down main street, and scanning the crowds for guest engaging in unsafe behavior or children who have become separated form their families in the chaos. And every CM involved in the process is thinking the same way, because of those rules and procedures. Its a seamless machine working together. An example is one night on MS I came across a frantic mother just as the lights went off for the MSEP. Her son had wandered off and she could not find him. With a few questions, I was able to reunite her with her son in 2 mins. Why, because every CM knows the procedures for a lost parent. How old is he, where was he last seen, and how long has he been missing? This told me where to take her. The CM who found the child wandering around knew the procedures as well, allowing us to reunite them.

Military members adapt well to life as a CM because of the structure. Disney uses allot of similar thinking during daily operations. You know what to wear, what to do, and where to be. Allot of the "idiot" thinking people like to refer to on here are the same we endured in the military. So its familiar and we know how to deal with it.

Where the similarities end is the discipline.  The military is not a union. You mess up, act up, or don't perform, you get yelled at and disciplined. Disney is a bit more "touchy". You cant yell at someone. As a coordinator (read mid level management) I cant discipline someone who doesn't perform. I can say something, but must get a leader involved in order to impose any form of reprimand.  There are allot of younger CMs working for Disney. No work experience and no discipline. They eventually get separated from the company, but it is a grueling process and a long one.  

That seems reasonable about military becoming CM. My statement were strictly about my DH due to his longevity of being in a senior position in the military. He would have a hard time not dealing with the problem hisself. Disney has always been great to us and is our favorite vacation

That seems reasonable about military becoming CM. My statement were strictly about my DH due to his longevity of being in a senior position in the military. He would have a hard time not dealing with the problem hisself. Disney has always been great to us and is our favorite vacation

I retired after 22 years and as an E7. My last assignment was running my own shop of 100 military members and did this for 5 years. I for one cherish the lack of "dealing with it myself". I dont have to make decisions that could potentially cost someone their life or change the fate of a combat campaign. I show up, do my job, and leave it at Disney. 

How does the reality of being a CM compare to your perception before becoming a CM?

This is an unfair question. My DH was a CM for 3 years before I became one, so I knew what to expect and what it was like. I willingly took the job knowing what it was like.

because every CM knows the procedures for a lost parent. How old is he, where was he last seen, and how long has he been missing? This told me where to take her. The CM who found the child wandering around knew the procedures as well, allowing us to reunite them.

In all our trips to WDW I had not witnessed a "lost child" situation until this last weekend.  While having a Casey's hot dog picnic on the sidewalk I saw 2 female CMs wearing white blouses and dark skirts (simple, plain, professional but unlike any uniforms I had seen) bringing a little boy with a Superman shirt up to a uniformed security officer.  All three adults bent down to talk with the little boy and then the 2 ladies took him one way as the officer went the other.  About 10 minutes later I saw a distressed looking woman wearing a Superman shirt running into Casey's and a CM pointing her to go a certain way.  I felt sure this was the mom and was so comforted by the way the CMs were caring for the child.  My boys are older but that doesn't keep me from worrying.  My nine year old wasn't happy about holding my hand now and then in the parks, but with those crowds?, I didn't really care. 

Kudos again, Disney.