What is your perception vs reality of being a CM

So back to perception vs reality.

I had the pixie dust and magic perception before I started. Do I still, absolutely. I know, it's hard to believe.

I live where I live because I knew 25 years ago that I would be working in some capacity at WDW. I thought it was going to be as a design engineer, and if I wanted it, I could have been one. But after being given the opportunity, I decide that I wouldn't be happy doing that and took a different direction.

I'm not a fan of corporate Disney, but I'm a huge fan of Walt and Roy's legacy, and I give Roy equal credit.

Contrary to my online persona, I'm an excellent CM and always have been. I do make the magic, I do enjoy doing it, otherwise I wouldn't have done it for so long.

:bravo:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May be magical for you but what about all the other poor unsuspecting souls.  

One of these days you're gonna think, gee, I wish I could get into that Illuminations VIP viewing area so that I don't have to find a spot an hour before they start. And you'll also think, I shoulda b

Though we cant give out castle suite stays or family vacations, every CM has the power to give little things to help make the guest experience better.   An ice cream for the little princess who droppe

The replacing of a dropped drink, ice cream, turkey leg, etc., is SOP. It costs Disney hardly anything to replace drinks or ice cream.

In the "Traditions" class that all new CMs have to attended, they are instructed to do it. 

Also, it's not like the average CM is bombarded throughout the day with complaints from angry guests. The assumption regarding the number of instances guests are abusive towards CMs is exaggerated. Of course it happens, but in the vast majority of the jobs, it's not that often. So don't feel sorry for CMs. They're fine 99.9% of the time.

So the perception of how many dissatisfied guests abuse CMs doesn't match the reality.

I seriously believe the role you perform dictates how good or poorly you get treated. I for one have only had one bad day at work since starting with the company. The guests all seem to have been in a poor mood and snapped at you for one reason or another. I even crossed the line a bit when a guest started yelling at me because I didnt have his package that he sent to package pickup, even though I was wearing a Photopass vest and holding a camera. I directed him to the chamber of commerce and he went off on me. I looked him dead in the face and asked "what do you want me to do? Pull your package out of thin air. Go to package pick up." But guest are always smiling at me. Who wants a picture with a frown?

My DH however has a completely different experience. A short stint in merchandise and attractions and she gets yelled at daily. "what do you mean the ride is broke. I demand to ride right now." "Im not waiting 60 mins to ride Mermaid, Im going to skip the line weather you like it or not." "Why are you letting those people in front of us. I dont care if they have fastpasses." "My kid wants to stand up on Dumbo and you can stop them"

Shes been called several forms of bad words I cant mention here because the filters wont let them through. So it does matter what role you have.

I think there is some times.

As long as a person is able to perform all the tasks required for a position, they may apply.

If a person mentions a CM in their application process and gets the job, and makes it past a 3 month trial period, the CM will get a recruitment bonus. The amount varies from $50 to $250 depending on the role the new CM gets. They also occasionally have sweepstakes where the CM get entered into a drawing for various things. The most recent was a cruise.

So back to perception vs reality.

I had the pixie dust and magic perception before I started. Do I still, absolutely. I know, it's hard to believe.

I live where I live because I knew 25 years ago that I would be working in some capacity at WDW. I thought it was going to be as a design engineer, and if I wanted it, I could have been one. But after being given the opportunity, I decide that I wouldn't be happy doing that and took a different direction.

I'm not a fan of corporate Disney, but I'm a huge fan of Walt and Roy's legacy, and I give Roy equal credit.

Contrary to my online persona, I'm an excellent CM and always have been. I do make the magic, I do enjoy doing it, otherwise I wouldn't have done it for so long.

I too am a fan of the legacy but not corporate. I respect Disney as a company, because they are very successful, but question some of their methods. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran across this article relevant to the topic...

7 Reasons Why I Want To Work at Disney

Posted by: Alexandra Blazevich

By: Alexandra Blazevich

Of all the job options Walt Disney World has to offer, I believe there is something to fit everyone. Entertainment, culinary, and corporate careers are just three branches the world of Disney has to offer. Cast members run the show. They are the ones who transform your theme park vacation into an experience. Who wouldn’t want to be a cast member for the “Happiest Place on Earth?”

7) The location:

Walt Disney world resort is located in the heart of Florida: Orlando. Within a 30 mile radius of the parks you can find Seaworld/Aquatica, Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure, outlet malls, Downtown Orlando, and so much more. By living and working in the Orlando area, you’ll have access to all of these fine attractions nearby, including all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer in itself!

6) The environment:

Walt Disney world has earned the nickname of being the “Happiest Place on Earth.” As far as working environments go, that sounds pretty hard to beat. The upscale, high-energy, theme park setting is wonderful for any employee. One of my personal favorite parts of working here is the fact that everyday will be new and another exciting experience with a whole new group of people… which brings me to the next point.

5) Meeting new people:

Every day, about 130,000 people visit Walt Disney World. And with each new day there’s a whole new group. A vast majority of cast members go through their day talking, interacting, and making memories with guests. If you love meeting new people and talking about your experiences, working for Walt Disney World just might be perfect for you!

4) You’ll bring joy to yourself:

I’m positive that the job requirements for working at Walt Disney World do not require you to plaster a smile on your face at all times. Yet, every cast member is all smiles when you see them. Why is that, you may ask? THEY LOVE THEIR JOB. By bringing joy to guests and employees, they in turn bring joy to themselves. If that’s not a win-win career, I don’t know what is.

3) You’ll bring joy to others:

Ever since I was a little girl, and cast members would say “Well hello there, Princess!” I’ve always wanted to be able to bring that joy to others. Putting a smile on the face of another person is rewarding in so many ways. Seeing a child’s face light up can’t help but put a smile on your own face.

2) The benefits:

Apart from basic job benefits including medical insurance, ample vacation time, and retirement plans, the rewards (both mental and physical) go “to infinity and beyond.” Every Walt Disney world employee receives free admission to the parks for anytime they want. Even when it comes to the entertainment industry they will never lay you off. They will do whatever they can to keep you employed. When Disney can no longer use someone for a face character, (Princesses, Gaston, etc.), they will still keep them employed doing other entertainment duties.

1) Your love of Disney:

Does just thinking about taking a ride on Space Mountain or a bite of a Mickey Ice Cream give you a warm, fuzzy feeling? If so, you may be a fellow Disney addict. Some people just love Disney and everything about it. There’s nothing that can compare to Walt Disney’s ideas, including his parks, films, and cartoons. Seeing myself as one of the people who loves every aspect of Disney, I couldn’t imagine a better place to have a career.

http://www.disneydining.com/7-reasons-want-work-disney/

Alex, Alex, Alex, you poor misguided pixie dusted wannabe CM.

"Who wouldn’t want to be a cast member for the “Happiest Place on Earth?”

Walt Disney world has earned the nickname of being the “Happiest Place on Earth.”

You say it twice, but the happiest place on earth is Disneyland, not WDW.

You need to do your research before writing an article about something you have no first hand experience.

"If you love meeting new people and talking about your experiences, working for Walt Disney World just might be perfect for you!"

Talking about your experiences, really? That's not what I do.

It's the guest's dime and it's all about the guest's experiences not the CMs.

I’m positive that the job requirements for working at Walt Disney World do not require you to plaster a smile on your face at all times.

Maybe not all times, but it is a job requirement and you're reminded of it on a regular basis if you're in a position that has a lot of guest interaction.

I could go on but I'll be nice to Alex.

By: Alexandra Blazevich

7) The location:

Walt Disney world resort is located in the heart of Florida: Orlando. Actually, the address is Lake Buena Vista, FL 

6) The environment:

Walt Disney world has earned the nickname of being the “Happiest Place on Earth.” As far as working environments go, that sounds pretty hard to beat. The upscale, high-energy, theme park setting is wonderful for any employee. One of my personal favorite parts of working here is the fact that everyday will be new and another exciting experience with a whole new group of people… which brings me to the next point.  This person is obviously  not talking about back stage jobs.

2) The benefits:

Apart from basic job benefits including medical insurance, ample vacation time,  2 weeks, after a year, when I worked WDW and retirement plans, the rewards (both mental and physical) go “to infinity and beyond.” Every Walt Disney world employee receives free admission to the parks for anytime they want. Except for the block out days.  Tho maybe if it's just the CM going in, they are allowed to enter any time?  Even when it comes to the entertainment industry they will never lay you off.  Excuse me?  I know this is not true.They will do whatever they can to keep you employed. When Disney can no longer use someone for a face character, (Princesses, Gaston, etc.), they will still keep them employed doing other entertainment duties.

This thread is an interesting read. Husband and I have talked about whether or not we'd enjoy moving out to WDW after our daughter finished high school (shes' 10, so we have some time!)

I don't think I have any notions that it would be pixie dust for ME all the time, but I sure do think it would be fun to create the magic for others. Hubs and I  both work at a local state university now (he as a professor and me as a program administrator), but we really are in the service industry - - we just happen to be serving a student population. My "kids" run a big dance marathon on campus to raise money for pediatric cancer patients here in San Antonio. Hubs works with Real Estate student trying to break into the industry.  There are many, many days when these young 'uns bug the ever loving crap out of us...but there are those days - - - genuine appreciation for a student that got a good job, or a smile from a young cancer patient who is having a blast at an event - - - that makes it all worth it.

SO - I do have a point...and that is....my perception is that while there are struggles, if you are really in tune with your purpose as a CM and ready to bring the magic to life for someone else, I bet you can find a lot of joy working as Disney. Am I right? Who knows? Will I find out if I am right....only time will tell. :lol:

Just ran across this article relevant to the topic...

4) You’ll bring joy to yourself:

I’m positive that the job requirements for working at Walt Disney World do not require you to plaster a smile on your face at all times. Yet, every cast member is all smiles when you see them. Why is that, you may ask? THEY LOVE THEIR JOB. By bringing joy to guests and employees, they in turn bring joy to themselves. If that’s not a win-win career, I don’t know what is.

http://www.disneydining.com/7-reasons-want-work-disney/

Wow, this girl is naïve.

She needs to go and visit one of the apartment complexes that house the Disney College Program kids and see how many smiles she sees as they wait in the dark before sunrise for the buses to arrive to haul them off to their jobs.  Or, if she prefers, she could sit out there well after midnight one night as the kids stumble back to their apartments after long days on their feet.

And, she needs to go to some of the off the beaten path places to meet up with the many senior CM's who work at Disney because it's the best job they could find.  There are a lot of them who lost what little pixie dust they had a long time ago.

TCD

Hey, it's a Small World. 

Nothing to do with your last post, but in keeping with the perception vs reality of being a CM, have you been able to get a sense of what the Twins think?

Has it lived up to what they expected?. What do they like and dislike? Would they do it again? Will they be sad when it's over or will they be ready for it to be over?

Nothing to do with your last post, but in keeping with the perception vs reality of being a CM, have you been able to get a sense of what the Twins think?

Has it lived up to what they expected?. What do they like and dislike? Would they do it again? Will they be sad when it's over or will they be ready for it to be over?

Good question.

I don't think either one of them had unrealistic expectations going in.  They knew that it would be a lot of work and long hours.

Twin #2 has been there the longest, as she chose the Fall Advantage program, and began in May.  She chose Merchandising as one of her preferred roles, because she knew that would give her the opportunity to work in many different locations.  She ended up being deployed to the Frozen Oaken's Gift Shop in DHS for most of the summer.  She loved it.  She has also worked at several different locations in the Magic Kingdom.  She loved that too.  Currently, she's assigned to one of the large hotel gift shops.  She doesn't like that as much.  She likes interacting with the guests there, as it is not as intense and environment as the park gift shops, but the CM's she works with are the pits.  She says that there are old ladies there who work the day shift who are the pits. They hate their jobs.  They hate Disney.  They are just there because it's an easy paycheck.  That part of it is not a big deal.  She will more than likely be deployed to a busier location in one of the parks for the upcoming holidays.

Twin #1 just began in August.  She wanted to be assigned to attractions in the MK, and that is what she got.  She knew going in that a lot of CP's hate working in the MK, because the CP kids always get the closing shifts, and that means working until 3 am or later at times. She knew that going in.  She loves it.  Which I don't understand, because they're working her to death.  The area she is assigned to in Adventureland is understaffed, which means it's basically impossible for her to change her schedule, and she's been working six days a week.  I am surprised that she likes it, but she does.  I think she would like it if she could have two days off a week, but that's not likely to happen as the parks get busier and busier during the holidays.

As for whether they're ready for it to be over, this is an interesting subject right now. A lot of their roommates are extending their programs, and not going back to college.  Some of them have no intention of ever going back home, and plan to move to Florida and get full time jobs at Disney.  The twins are a little jealous of these girls.  Who wouldn't prefer living at Disney World to going to college?  But, they both worked hard to get into the universities they attend, and they're going back.  They understand that they need to.  A lot of the kids who are staying had nothing going for them back home, and this is their ticket out.  So, the twins are gong back to their schools in January. They both want to work at Disney again in the future, and will probably apply for the Professional Internship program next.

Bottom line is that they both are really enjoying their time there.  It is going too fast for them.  It has definitely been a positive experience.

TCD

Hey, it's a Small World.  Each of my DD's has been very involved in the Dance Marathons at FSU, UF and Auburn.

Do you coordinate that Dance Marathon at your university?

TCD

I am one of the advisors to the student organization that puts on the marathon. Our marathon is coordinated in conjunction with an undergraduate leadership program that I run with my boss. Basically, the "kids" that are in leadership positions in the organization are also in the Leadership Challenge program.  We are still VERY new in the Dance Marathon world, but they did manage to raise $50,000 last year - not to shabby. UTSA has largely been a commuter school until recently, so the campus culture, etc with traditional college students needs work...which is why we started the marathon in the first place, in hopes of growing the campus community. And of course, now we have a football team, so that helps too.

I am one of the advisors to the student organization that puts on the marathon. Our marathon is coordinated in conjunction with an undergraduate leadership program that I run with my boss. Basically, the "kids" that are in leadership positions in the organization are also in the Leadership Challenge program.  We are still VERY new in the Dance Marathon world, but they did manage to raise $50,000 last year - not to shabby. UTSA has largely been a commuter school until recently, so the campus culture, etc with traditional college students needs work...which is why we started the marathon in the first place, in hopes of growing the campus community. And of course, now we have a football team, so that helps too.

Good job!

I don't know if you know this, but my oldest DD is currently working on her Master's degree in Higher Education Administration at Auburn.  She was very involved with Dance Marathon when she was at FSU.

My middle daughter participated in the UF Dance Marathon earlier this year. They raised over $1.5 Million for Children's Miracle Network.

I didn't know UTSA had a football team.  My youngest daughter's current roommate at Disney is a student at UT Austin.  I learned they have a football team too. 

Sorry for the hijack, Lou.

TCD

my perception is that while there are struggles, if you are really in tune with your purpose as a CM and ready to bring the magic to life for someone else, I bet you can find a lot of joy working as Disney. Am I right?

Are you right? Not for the vast majority of WDW jobs.

Most jobs at WDW are just that, a job. Many, many CMs are not in positions where they have the opportunity to make the magic to any appreciable degree.

Most jobs at WDW are just that, a job. Many, many CMs are not in positions where they have the opportunity to make the magic to any appreciable degree.

...and I would guess some of it depends on the attitude of the person in any given job. In my early days at this job, I use to sit at a desk that received alot of foot traffic unrelated to my work.  More often than not, it was some poor student or guest of the university that was lost and had been previously miss directed by some employee that didn't know what they were talking about and were too lazy to look up the information.  I really enjoyed the relief and appreciation from people - and all it took was a quick phone call, internet search, or simply handing them a map.  Was I directly affecting their education? Not really. Was I making their day a little easier? Yep! And while UTSA is no Disneyworld (it is usually more like the twilight zone), the poor student who had previously been told (by someone in my office - embarassing) that they would have to go to the Mexican Consulate to retrieve their transcripts, it probably did seem like I had pixie dust - when I told them they could get their transcript in the next building over.

It's the little things.

...and I would guess some of it depends on the attitude of the person in any given job.

It's the little things.

That's certainly true, but if you're stuck loading guests on a busy attraction, and even though you're the type that wants to make it magical, there just isn't the time to do so. Get em on, get em off, Rawhide.

CMs that are in a position where they have one on one contact with guests for more than just a few seconds are the most likely to make a magical moment.

While it happens on a regular basis, it's not that common considering how many people are at WDW, so when it does happen, it's very special.

Fortunately all of my jobs, including the one I have now, did allow for magical moments. In fact, we have a specific thing that we surprise guests with that is called "Magical Moments", so don't be surprised if out of nowhere, it happens to you.

Most jobs at WDW are just that, a job. Many, many CMs are not in positions where they have the opportunity to make the magic to any appreciable degree.

I may be wrong but I think there are a lot of CM that may not realize that they are creating magic for guest. Or they may not see the magic they help create.

Example. The bus driver that says to my DD "good morning princess". I may call her my little princess all the time but when a strange says it it makes her smile.

Or the baker that works in a kitchen, somewhere, and makes a Mickey Mouse cookie that brings a smile to my DD face when she gets one.

Or the mouse keeper that takes her stuffed kitty and poses it on her pillow with a Mickey Mouse ear towel.

Or the janitor, at the park, that cleans the restroom. Its nice to know that when you need to go your going to have a clean place to go.

Or the mechanic that keeps the monorail running, sometimes. Lol.

Or the pyrotechnic workers who, nightly, set up and run the fireworks shows.

It takes a lot of hidden people to create the magic. Yes there only a few CM that have direct contact with the customer and can directly sprinkle some pixie dust.

But if it wasn't for those unseen CM there would be no magic.

As for me. I'd like to be the hidden CM that sprinkles some pixie dust.

Why? I'm not sure. But...

One time I was in a McDonalds drive thru the person ahead of me paid for my diet coke and breakfast burrito. I was so shocked and, of course, happy. The cashier asked me if I wanted to pay it forward and pay for the person behind? I said yes and bought their breakfast. What' surprised me is that I felt better about buying their breakfast the. Having mine bought for me. I guess the bible is correct...it is better to give then it is to receive.

I guess that it comes down to what you feel "magical" is. Although those things are all positive, for me, they don't rise to the level of a magical experience. Some are usual and customary and some are part of the CMs job. You could make a valid argument that if you combined them all, they might be magical.

My interpretation of a magical experience is that after it happens, you know it and say, wow, that was special.

I guess that it comes down to what you feel "magical" is. Although those things are all positive, for me, they don't rise to the level of a magical experience. Some are usual and customary and some are part of the CMs job. You could make a valid argument that if you combined them all, they might be magical.

My interpretation of a magical experience is that after it happens, you know it and say, wow, that was special.

And over the years, what is considered usual and customary increases as the job becomes more routine and the pressures and requirements of the job take a toll.  TCD stated above how his daughter didn't like working the resort with the older women.  Unfortunately I've seen this happen because the older workers have gotten used to the "Magic", they see how the place has changed over the years (much stronger emphasis on profit over quality) and some get upset with the CPs a bit, not personally, but because when the CPs are brought in the schedule hours (and therefore money) are often taken away from the CRs.  Happened every time when my wife used to work in the parks.  When the CPs would arrive, her shifts would drop to 4 - 6 hours, and sometimes not at all.  Didn't really bother her much, but many people were depending on that income to pay for things such as health insurance.

Many have lost the appeal for "Magic" and many never had it since they just needed a job.  Fortunately, many do not lose it either.  My wife, after over 16 years, still enjoys going to the parks and helping people when she can, be it as a cast member or as a guest.  But, she enjoyed Disney prior to starting to work there, and continues to enjoy it.  That said, she is counting the days to her planned retirement in about a year, and is REALLY looking forward to it.  She will lock in her retirement benefits, and get a job elsewhere, and continue to enjoy Disney and the associated perks of being a cast member long enough to retire.

I guess that it comes down to what you feel "magical" is. Although those things are all positive, for me, they don't rise to the level of a magical experience. Some are usual and customary and some are part of the CMs job. You could make a valid argument that if you combined them all, they might be magical.

My interpretation of a magical experience is that after it happens, you know it and say, wow, that was special.

Being in my role, creating magic can come in many forms. Just thinking up a special pose for some newleyweds or a special picture of billy who never smiles. But I consider those, the job.

I, as a coordinator, I can take it a step further. I love proposals. They start innocently. A gentleman wants a photographer to capture his engagement when he surprises his fiancée in front of the castle. I show up with a photographer and a bag. In the bag are bride and groom ear hats, some buttons that say just engaged with the date on them, a special cupcake they can share while watching the fireworks from a special private area, and certificate for free embroidery on their hats and a free photo of the occasion.

They didn't know all of this was going to happen. He just wanted a photographer there. But I can go above that and really make it special. That's making magic.

And over the years, what is considered usual and customary increases as the job becomes more routine and the pressures and requirements of the job take a toll.  TCD stated above how his daughter didn't like working the resort with the older women.  Unfortunately I've seen this happen because the older workers have gotten used to the "Magic", they see how the place has changed over the years (much stronger emphasis on profit over quality) and some get upset with the CPs a bit, not personally, but because when the CPs are brought in the schedule hours (and therefore money) are often taken away from the CRs.  Happened every time when my wife used to work in the parks.  When the CPs would arrive, her shifts would drop to 4 - 6 hours, and sometimes not at all.  Didn't really bother her much, but many people were depending on that income to pay for things such as health insurance.

Many have lost the appeal for "Magic" and many never had it since they just needed a job.  Fortunately, many do not lose it either.  My wife, after over 16 years, still enjoys going to the parks and helping people when she can, be it as a cast member or as a guest.  But, she enjoyed Disney prior to starting to work there, and continues to enjoy it.  That said, she is counting the days to her planned retirement in about a year, and is REALLY looking forward to it.  She will lock in her retirement benefits, and get a job elsewhere, and continue to enjoy Disney and the associated perks of being a cast member long enough to retire.

I should have been clearer with my comments. My comments about the "old ladies" most definitely doesn't apply to all older CM's.  A lot of CM's are older, and most of them are awesome people and great CM's.  But there are quite a few who are bitter and resentful, and lazy.  They don't give a hoot about being magical.  They hate their jobs. They hate the young college kids who are sent to work with them.  And, they probably hate themselves.  The managers don't do anything about them, because they need people who are going to be there day in and day out.  So, they look the other way.  These bitter old ladies are rude to guests. They are rude to their coworkers. They do stuff they're not supposed to do whenever the manager isn't looking.  They leave work that they're supposed to do for the college kids, because they know nobody is going to do anything about it.  Those are the old ladies I'm talking about

And, I can see where having to work with young, snotty, spoiled college kids might be unpleasant.  Not all of them have the best attitude either. But, for the most part, these college kids come to Disney World because they very much want to be a part of the magic.  In training, they are pumped full of pixie dust and turned loose to be the best CM's they can be.  It's a real drag for those who get stuck working with some far from ideal crabby CM who is just there to punch the clock.

Being in my role, creating magic can come in many forms. Just thinking up a special pose for some newleyweds or a special picture of billy who never smiles. But I consider those, the job.

I, as a coordinator, I can take it a step further. I love proposals. They start innocently. A gentleman wants a photographer to capture his engagement when he surprises his fiancée in front of the castle. I show up with a photographer and a bag. In the bag are bride and groom ear hats, some buttons that say just engaged with the date on them, a special cupcake they can share while watching the fireworks from a special private area, and certificate for free embroidery on their hats and a free photo of the occasion.

They didn't know all of this was going to happen. He just wanted a photographer there. But I can go above that and really make it special. That's making magic.

That is so awesome!

Way to go!

TCD

I should have been clearer with my comments. My comments about the "old ladies" most definitely doesn't apply to all older CM's.  A lot of CM's are older, and most of them are awesome people and great CM's.  But there are quite a few who are bitter and resentful, and lazy.  They don't give a hoot about being magical.  They hate their jobs. They hate the young college kids who are sent to work with them.  And, they probably hate themselves.  The managers don't do anything about them, because they need people who are going to be there day in and day out.  So, they look the other way.  These bitter old ladies are rude to guests. They are rude to their coworkers. They do stuff they're not supposed to do whenever the manager isn't looking.  They leave work that they're supposed to do for the college kids, because they know nobody is going to do anything about it.  Those are the old ladies I'm talking about

And, I can see where having to work with young, snotty, spoiled college kids might be unpleasant.  Not all of them have the best attitude either. But, for the most part, these college kids come to Disney World because they very much want to be a part of the magic.  In training, they are pumped full of pixie dust and turned loose to be the best CM's they can be.  It's a real drag for those who get stuck working with some far from ideal crabby CM who is just there to punch the clock.

That is so awesome!

Way to go!

TCD

The work area dictates the type of CM you will encounter, most of the time. Most "Old Timers" who are just punching the clock go to resorts. They dont have to deal with many guest and they are off at a decent hour of the night. They can get by with doing the bare minimum.

Animal Kingdom also has allot of old timers but they arent as bitter. They get the guest interaction, but still get off at a decent hour. Theyve been around a while and it shows sometimes in the way they treat guest and act at work. They are the ones who know all the rules and use them to their benefit.

The MK has the younger, pixi dust infused CMs. The ones who want to be there. The ones who will go above and beyond to help a guest feel special.

I like to play a game when visiting the parks. I can spot a CM deployed from another location just by the way they act. You can almost always pick the MK CMs from a mile away. AK CMs ussually do not come to the MK to work, they cant handle the pressure. Resorts never leave resorts. But if youre ever at another park and get great service, most likely its a CM from MK.