What is your perception vs reality of being a CM

Kudos again, Disney.

Or kudos CMs.

Just last weekend while stationed at the World Showplace entrance at Epcot, I had a lost young man with Down Syndrome come up to me, out of nowhere, wanting to shake my hand, which I gladly did. My first reaction was to look around for the people that he was with, but there was no one around. He put out his hand again and wanted to shake my hand, no problem, but while shaking his hand, I'm still looking around for someone, nothing. He gestures to shake my hand for the third time and as I'm thinking about what I'm going to do next, someone finally appears to claim him.

For some reason he had the need to say hi to me and shake my hand. I was happy he did.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May be magical for you but what about all the other poor unsuspecting souls.  

One of these days you're gonna think, gee, I wish I could get into that Illuminations VIP viewing area so that I don't have to find a spot an hour before they start. And you'll also think, I shoulda b

Though we cant give out castle suite stays or family vacations, every CM has the power to give little things to help make the guest experience better.   An ice cream for the little princess who droppe

Don't feel like a schmuck. I'm supposed to call Fiends that, and then they can feel like a schmuckface.

Many, many, people have expressed the same sentiments you have about the change in the drivers.

Before transferring a few months ago to "Park Events Ops" as a Convention Guide, I was a bus driver for six years.

While having an engineering consulting business, I would take six months off every four or five years and be a CM for about six months.

My first time as a CM was eighteen years ago last month and I've been rehired a half a dozen times or so.

I've been a Front Desk CM at two resorts, a Bell Cap at three resorts, a Concierge at one resort, a bus driver, and a convention guide.

I rather feel like a schmuck face than be a schmuck :lol:

What great experience working for the mouse! I'm envious

I've actually found a way to enjoy every job I've had, and I've worked everywhere from retail to food service to sales and obviously education. I love Disney and think I could be happy working there too.

I'll be able to retire in my early 50s... I need something to do! Why not that?

Being a CM isnt about loving Disney. Your love for all things Disney will wear off quickly if you do not have a passion for serving the guest and ensuring they have the most magical vacation ever.

While being a leader in the entertainment industry, the underlying product of Disney is serving the guest. It is a service industry just like a waiter or waitress. The end goal is the same, provide the best service to your customer possible.

Ive seen many a people leave the company when they realize this. And yes, allot of people think its all pixi dust and wishes. The reality, CMs dont even have MBs yet........

Your love for all things Disney will wear off quickly if you do not have a passion for serving the guest and ensuring they have the most magical vacation ever.

That's actually the part of the job that would appeal to me the most.  Helping people and making their day (or even just their moment in time) all while in the setting of WDW sounds pretty nice.

Back during Year(s) of a Million Dreams I thought it would be really cool to be on the Dream Squads where your job is to go around making people happy all day.

That's actually the part of the job that would appeal to me the most.  Helping people and making their day (or even just their moment in time) all while in the setting of WDW sounds pretty nice.

Back during Year(s) of a Million Dreams I thought it would be really cool to be on the Dream Squads where your job is to go around making people happy all day.

Though we cant give out castle suite stays or family vacations, every CM has the power to give little things to help make the guest experience better.

An ice cream for the little princess who dropped her cone in the middle of MS, a shirt for the prince who spilled milk all over himself at lunch, or a random balloon for the queen celebrating her 90th birthday. Every CM can make those happen.

I have personally set up proposals at various locations in the park. Not only do I arrange for a photographer, but I get them bride and groom ears, a cupcake, and a free photo of the occasion. Adding pixi dust to the moment. The guests arent expecting it, we just do it. And believe it or not, most CMs love doing stuff like that.

I would also like to add that the phrase "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" applies at Disney. We can say no and not help at all. So if you approach a situation with a good attitude and treat the CMs with the respect they deserve, you will get far more than walking in and yelling at them.

...every CM has the power to give little things to help make the guest experience better.

And that's the part of the job that I think appeals to me the most - just being able to do  those little, everyday things that can make someone smile.

Being able to do it in WDW is just a bonus.  :)

I would also like to add that the phrase "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" applies at Disney. We can say no and not help at all. So if you approach a situation with a good attitude and treat the CMs with the respect they deserve, you will get far more than walking in and yelling at them.

Good advice in life in general, but I think some people forget that CMs are people and not Disney-trained robots.  Just because you "paid so much money" to be there, doesn't entitle you to treat people badly and demand/expect to get whatever you want.

:)

Good advice in life in general, but I think some people forget that CMs are people and not Disney-trained robots.  Just because you "paid so much money" to be there, doesn't entitle you to treat people badly and demand/expect to get whatever you want.

============================================================================================================

Unfortunately some people treat everyone in the service industry like garbage,  Whether it's a counter person at McDonalds, the checkout person at the grocery store, the Geek Squad Agent at Best Buy, or the CM at WDW.

I worked at BB for 15 years as a Geek Squad agent and saw the customers attitudes change over the years.  They stick to the mantra the customer is always right and the majority of the time even if they are wrong a manager will step in and override what you had just explained to them.

In the beginning people used to treat us decently and were happy to have us fix their computers.  In the end most people were screaming at us because it would take 3 or 4 days to try to clean up the viruses off their system because they went to every junk site that came along.

I think it's just people are becoming more demanding, expecting more, and are unwilling to accept any blame whatsoever for their own actions.

Jimmy dropped his ice cream cone because he was dancing around and not eating it?  It's Disneys fault because the server didn't pack his ice cream into the cone tight enough and didn't double cone it!

What do you mean the Fort is full and we can't add 4 days onto our stay the day we were supposed to check out?

If people would just treat "the help" decently and be reasonable with their expectations, things would go a lot smoother for everyone.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I know Disney does well accommodating guests - what's their hiring like? Are there many positions you can work at in a wheelchair? The last question is becoming a big concern for me.

I've seen park CMs in wheelchairs more than a few times.

Unfortunately some people treat everyone in the service industry like garbage,  Whether it's a counter person at McDonalds, the checkout person at the grocery store, the Geek Squad Agent at Best Buy, or the CM at WDW.

...I think it's just people are becoming more demanding, expecting more, and are unwilling to accept any blame whatsoever for their own actions.

Sad but true.

Jimmy dropped his ice cream cone because he was dancing around and not eating it?  It's Disneys fault because the server didn't pack his ice cream into the cone tight enough and didn't double cone it!

And that's where what Dave said probably rings very true.  If you walk back and ask for another and explain what happened, expecting to pay for it, you're more likely to get it for free.

Stomp over demanding... maybe not so much.

Because in general, if you're polite and considerate to me, I'd going to be much more willing and even eager to help you.  If you're a selfish, entitled asshat... well then I'm going to fall back on doing only as much as I'm required to by my job and nothing more.

I've seen park CMs in wheelchairs more than a few times.

Sad but true.

And that's where what Dave said probably rings very true.  If you walk back and ask for another and explain what happened, expecting to pay for it, you're more likely to get it for free.

Stomp over demanding... maybe not so much.

Because in general, if you're polite and considerate to me, I'd going to be much more willing and even eager to help you.  If you're a selfish, entitled asshat... well then I'm going to fall back on doing only as much as I'm required to by my job and nothing more.

Yup that has happened to me. Stupid me dropped my coke float at the Dole Whip stand. Told a CM where the mess was so they could get it cleaned up before it was tracked all over, and was given a new Coke Float...

The replacing of a dropped drink, ice cream, turkey leg, etc., is SOP. It costs Disney hardly anything to replace drinks or ice cream.

In the "Traditions" class that all new CMs have to attended, they are instructed to do it. 

Also, it's not like the average CM is bombarded throughout the day with complaints from angry guests. The assumption regarding the number of instances guests are abusive towards CMs is exaggerated. Of course it happens, but in the vast majority of the jobs, it's not that often. So don't feel sorry for CMs. They're fine 99.9% of the time.

So the perception of how many dissatisfied guests abuse CMs doesn't match the reality.

Any chance you can get a recruiting bonus, Lou? 

I think there is some times.

I know Disney does well accommodating guests - what's their hiring like? Are there many positions you can work at in a wheelchair? The last question is becoming a big concern for me.

As long as a person is able to perform all the tasks required for a position, they may apply.

When I posted the following article in the Community Board section of the Members area, I was thinking how nice it would be if the top guys at WDW did this.

Even $30,000 isn't a great amount to live on but it sure is better than the $10.00 an hour being offered.  $10.00 x 40 hours a week = $400.00 BEFORE taxes etc, removed.  $400.00 a week x 52 weeks = $20,800.00.  And that's only if a CM can get the 40 hours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Orlando Sentinel

Why starting wage of $30K is good business model

Scott Maxwell Taking Names

Ken LaRoe always wondered if he could run a profitable bank with a conscience. So he started First Green Bank in Mount Dora — a community bank with an emphasis on environmental sustainability. Couriers drove Prius cars. Solar panels powered the branch. Transactions were paperless. Customers who wanted loans to finance Earth-friendly endeavors got the lowest interest rates. It worked ... big time. What started five years ago with one bank in Lake County has grown to a chain of banks in Orange and Volusia as well. First Green is the region’s fastest-growing community bank. So LaRoe has decided to put conscientiousness on steroids. As of this week, every one of his workers is making a living wage — at least $30,000. Tellers. Couriers. You name it. All making more than $14 an hour — far more than Florida’s minimum wage of $7.93.   

When LaRoe told the staff, he said the reaction was mostly silent — dropped jaws among the lower-paid workers.

Then, when LaRoe upped the ante — telling the other employees that they would be eligible for pay jumps, too, and that he’d eliminated salary caps for all positions — the rest of the jaws dropped.

“It was the best rollout I’ve ever done,” he said.

LaRoe said the increased salaries aren’t feel-good giveaways. They’re good business.

“If I’ve got the perfect teller, and she gives the kind of service that makes customers tell three other people who start banking here, that raise pays for itself,” he said. “We attract really good talent at the bottom, and that’s going to lift everything else. It massively helps the whole business.”

Similar logic has been touted by executives at Costco — the bulk-retailer known for paying its frontline employees as much as $21 an hour. They say the loyalty and low turnover boosts their bottom line.

A “living wage” varies, but basically means paying employees enough to meet all their basic needs

— housing, food, health care, etc. — without having to work another job or rely on public assistance.

Ideally, that’s how it always should be. If you work hard at a full-time job, you shouldn’t need welfare to make ends meet.   

Still, LaRoe didn’t get too preachy about his payroll pioneering. He said he realizes that different businesses have different financial models. For instance, he recently bought a restaurant franchise and is studying the best way to raise wages there as well.

But, as a new grandfather, LaRoe said he feels obligated to set the bar higher. “My generation hasn’t left much for her generation,” he said. “I know we can do

BTW I worked at WDW starting 1975 - 1980ish.  Worked backstage in the Central Food Bakery.  Enjoyed the work and yes, it was work.  We had a very good Assistant Pastry Chef, Dominic Robitelli (sp).  He made sure we had work to do and did it correctly.  Even during slow times, when other dept. were laying off CMs, he had us washing trams , closed door and open, by hand.  He knew we would be needed come the next busy season.   When all the trams were clean, we washed them again, because he valued us.  That was more cost effective than hiring all new CMs for the bakery and having to train them.

So back to perception vs reality.

I had the pixie dust and magic perception before I started. Do I still, absolutely. I know, it's hard to believe.

I live where I live because I knew 25 years ago that I would be working in some capacity at WDW. I thought it was going to be as a design engineer, and if I wanted it, I could have been one. But after being given the opportunity, I decide that I wouldn't be happy doing that and took a different direction.

I'm not a fan of corporate Disney, but I'm a huge fan of Walt and Roy's legacy, and I give Roy equal credit.

Contrary to my online persona, I'm an excellent CM and always have been. I do make the magic, I do enjoy doing it, otherwise I wouldn't have done it for so long.