What is your perception vs reality of being a CM

Below is something I hear and read all the time. In fact, a Fiend told me as recently as yesterday that they would like to be seasonal CMs.

"I want to live the dream. When we retire, I want to move to the Central Florida area and become a WDW CM.

I realize that the perception might not live up to the reality, but it's something I'd like to try."

My CM experience started so long ago, over 18 years, that I don't recall what my expectation or perception was at that time.

If it's something you've considered, I'm curious as to what is your perception of being a CM?

You don't need to post what you'd like to do as a CM, just what are you expecting it to be like.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May be magical for you but what about all the other poor unsuspecting souls.  

One of these days you're gonna think, gee, I wish I could get into that Illuminations VIP viewing area so that I don't have to find a spot an hour before they start. And you'll also think, I shoulda b

Though we cant give out castle suite stays or family vacations, every CM has the power to give little things to help make the guest experience better.   An ice cream for the little princess who droppe

My wife has been a CM for over 16 years.  The biggest misconception people seem to have that talk to her is the belief that being a CM is like being paid to be on vacation.  Those that come in with that attitude, generally don't last long and become disillusioned.  As Lou and others here know, maintaining the level of standards that Disney still tries to uphold, requires strict regulations and hard work.  As someone who has watched the last 16 years, working at Disney can be very demanding, difficult and frustrating; yet can also come with some great rewards - if your expectations are in line with the responsibilities of the job.

Rather than seeing the "magic" that the guests see, you see the business rules and procedures that create that "magic".

After the last few trips and careful observation my DH has decided being a CM is not for him. He does not have enough patience.

I do hear that a lot.

working at Disney can be very demanding, difficult and frustrating; yet can also come with some great rewards

Well put. I call it a love hate relationship.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but my biggest obstacle would be, that in what I do every day now, I have to think, improvise, and learn, and have the freedom to apply what I know to make things better than they have to be.....

Becoming a rank and file CM, I'm guessing there is a strict way to do things, very rote, and going out of your way to do it better, may not be looked upon with favor as it doesn't follow the "script".

(I may be wrong about that though)

My perception?  Overworked, underpaid, horrible working hours.  Often dealing with disgruntled and/or unruly guests.

On the flip side, being able to help spread the Disney magic ... making a child of any age smile ... spreading pixie dust where I could ... PRICELESS!

Just wish my arthritis hadn't become so bad.  When my mother is gone, I'd love to move there and become a part-time CM.  But I just can't do it.

Nor do I and after close to 23 years working with the pubic, I can't stand stupidity. As an example, the question after we patched a road, "Why doesn't the color all match"?

Or when we adopted our daughters from Korea and Vietnam (both of them were 3 months old):

"How will you teach them english?"

"Does she cry in Korean/Vietnamese?"

Not sure I need to try to work with the public much anymore!

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but my biggest obstacle would be, that in what I do every day now, I have to think, improvise, and learn, and have the freedom to apply what I know to make things better than they have to be.....

Becoming a rank and file CM, I'm guessing there is a strict way to do things, very rote, and going out of your way to do it better, may not be looked upon with favor as it doesn't follow the "script".

(I may be wrong about that though)

On the flip side, I do long for the days when I can retire, then do something somewhere, where I put in my 4-5 hours 2-3 days a week, then go home and don't worry about it.......

But, as I said if the machine is too big, and I'm asked to do something really stupid, it will drive me batty.

I've never given it any thought, mainly because I don't want to live in FL.  But you've caused me to wonder what it would be like, and I don't think I want to work for a huge company again.  (I worked for GE when they acquired my employer 13 years ago, and couldn't stand the administrative burdens that constantly distracted from the "real work".  I imagine Disney would be just as aggrevating). 

Nor do I and after close to 23 years working with the pubic

But neither of you want to be a CM. If you did, you'd do whatever it took to make it work, including finding patience, because it's something you want to do.

do something somewhere, where I put in my 4-5 hours 2-3 days a week, then go home and don't worry about it.......

Exactly

I imagine Disney would be just as aggravating

It can be, but if you know the ins and outs, it can work.

All I know is that it has got to be better than my perceptions or no one would work there.  I worked most of my life for family owned small businesses and liked being able to talk to the person that makes the decisions and get a yes or no on proposals most of the time either on the spot or in a day or two.  I can't think of anything that we did that did not make sense.  However, I did work for 7 years for a multi Billion dollar a year company and the bureaucracy,politics and waste drove me crazy.  

I don't know how long I would last as a CM, but I lo9ve the idea of making someone's vacation more Magical.  I would love to be at the age where my children are out of the house, but would now have somewhere to come visit me that they would enjoy.

Or when we adopted our daughters from Korea and Vietnam (both of them were 3 months old):

I have watched shows on TV showing how stupid people can be and always hoped they were really actors.  You are dashing my hopes.

When is the three o'clock parade?      :banghead:

I think it would really depend on what sort of CM job I ended up with.  For example, I really don't want to clean bathrooms or hotel rooms.  I don't think I could handle the fast pace of food service.  I might not enjoy standing all day in the hot sun loading people on rides.  But it would be cool to check people into their hotels at the beginning or their trips - when the kids are bouncing up and down and about to explode in excitement - or maybe work in a gift shop.  I do believe that you would have to switch from the mentality that" the place is magical" to "the people help make it magical."  It seems like a very rewarding job that requires a lot of hard work and a great attitude.  

But it would be cool to check people into their hotels at the beginning or their trips

This is a position where I have first hand knowledge.

The front desk position is one of the more stressful positions on property. Most CMs do their stint and move on.

How do I know this? Been there done that.

In order to be a Concierge at the Grand Flo, you first have to master the Front Desk, which I did. I was glad when it was over and moved on to the Concierge dept.

So the perception of working the Front Desk at a WDW resort, other than the Fort that is, is not the reality.

My husband is a seasonal CM.  It's something he always wanted to do.  After we both retired, he decided to try it out.  He loves it.  The work is not hard but the rules are strict.  The pay is not great but he isn't in it for the money--we both love WDW.  I don't believe it's for everyone but I know it is definitely for him.  The people we have met since he's been a CM are friends we will have for a lifetime. To anyone that believes they are interested talk to Lou or Gary (my DH) they will give you the pros and cons.

Life is what you make of it & being a CM definitely fits that category.   For us it's still magical.  :fairydust:

Nor do I and after close to 23 years working with the pubic, I can't stand stupidity. As an example, the question after we patched a road, "Why doesn't the color all match"?

When we adopted Anna, we were asked whether, with access to American health care, we could "fix her". Oy.

This is a position where I have first hand knowledge.

The front desk position is one of the more stressful positions on property. Most CMs do their stint and move on.

How do I know this? Been there done that.

In order to be a Concierge at the Grand Flo, you first have to master the Front Desk, which I did. I was glad when it was over and moved on to the Concierge dept.

So the perception of working the Front Desk at a WDW resort, other than the Fort that is, is not the reality.

Agreed, could not work front desk. One example, as we were checking into a Value resort very late one evening, there was a family there of about 9 that only had one room reserved, and English was not their primary language (not that is a factor), but the language barrier made it very difficult for the front desk agent to try and help explain that all 9 could not be in one room and the extra money they had to pay.... OY

My perception?  Overworked, underpaid, horrible working hours.  Often dealing with disgruntled and/or unruly guests.

But that is not the reality.

Over worked.

Sometimes, but not always. You mostly do the job you were hired to do.

Horrible working hours.

You know the work hours before you're hired. It's your choice if you want to accept them or not.

Often dealing with disgruntled and/or unruly guests.

It depends on the position, but it's rare. People visiting WDW are there to have a good time and not to give CMs a hard time. It happens, but it's by no means a factor as to whether or not you can be a CM

On the flip side, being able to help spread the Disney magic ... making a child of any age smile ... spreading pixie dust where I could ... PRICELESS!

That is the reality, but it's done in small ways. A smile here, a wave there, a sticker on their chest.

... That is the reality, but it's done in small ways. A smile here, a wave there, a sticker on their chest.

Agreed Lou. The family and I were waiting for the monorail when one of the attendants came up to my kids and started doing slight of hand tricks. Another time, an attendant pulled my blind son up front to feel the firefighter's gear at Epcot during a demo. Another gave us a site near the bus stop at our request. All of those seemingly small things are what made the trip magical. They aren't "small" to me.