I agree everybody draws a line when it comes to what they believe is right or wrong.

Personally I'm ok with paying for a kids meal, because I believe I'm getting exactly what I'm paying for - less food for a lower price.

I think a buffet is different, and agree with the points Carol made.

To me, lying to avoid paying the park admission would be a line I wouldn't cross.

But the most disturbing thing to me in this particular case is that someone is being advised to do something that the writer admits is wrong, but then justifies it being ok because of how much money the Disney has and Bob Iger makes.

It's not my call to decide how much money anybody gets to or should have, or how they choose to run their business.

And ... I think this thread is probably heading into Debate-land.  8)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I for one find this appalling. Does it happen? Yes.....Is it OK? Not at all. You are knowingly "stealing" from a company. Its like saying Marvel made 1.3 million on a movie, so its OK to record the sh

I do this myself since my wife often accuses me of acting like a 2 yr old

Dear, It's Ok,.   If the in-laws are that strapped financially that they can't afford the extra ticket you should be chipping in for the trip...   Prudence.   This kind of "s---" burns my rear.

I agree everybody draws a line when it comes to what they believe is right or wrong.

Personally I'm ok with paying for a kids meal, because I believe I'm getting exactly what I'm paying for - less food for a lower price.

AGREE.

But the most disturbing thing to me in this particular case is that someone is being advised to do something that the writer admits is wrong, but then justifies it being ok because of how much money the Disney has and Bob Iger makes.

AGREE X2

It's not my call to decide how much money anybody gets to or should have, or how they choose to run their business.

AGREE X2000

And ... I think this thread is probably heading into Debate-land.  8)

I hope not. I find it interesting where people draw the line.

I don't really care about this, but let's think about this.... (Maybe I'm a pot stirring idiot)

If it's ok for an adult to order off the kids' menu that says it's for kids 9 and under because they can't eat enough to justify an adult portion.... Then is it OK for a small kid to not pay because they can't ride rides that most 3 year olds could?

One comment about adults ordering off the kid's menu - we always asked at sit down restaurants at Disney and there was never any hesitation - no problem. I do wish that more companies recognized seniors and offered them smaller portions, also.

I don't really care about this, but let's think about this.... (Maybe I'm a pot stirring idiot)

If it's ok for an adult to order off the kids' menu that says it's for kids 9 and under because they can't eat enough to justify an adult portion.... Then is it OK for a small kid to not pay because they can't ride rides that most 3 year olds could?

Pot stirrer!!!

And using your logic I would say yes it's ok.

I personally think they should charge based on rides the kids can ride. If your three year old is on the short side he or she didn't magically change the day they turned 3.

One comment about adults ordering off the kid's menu - we always asked at sit down restaurants at Disney and there was never any hesitation - no problem. I do wish that more companies recognized seniors and offered them smaller portions, also.

I think this is done in other cities. Here in Oklahoma City most cafeterias offer a discounted price for senior citizens. I went with some friends and he had just turned 55 and he qualified for the senior citizens discount. I jokingly asked the cashier why should he get the discount because he's bigger then me. I don't think she knew I was joking because she said older people tend to eat less.

I've also seen some restaurants that now have a lite portion option on their menu.

I personally think they should charge based on rides the kids can ride. If your three year old is on the short side he or she didn't magically change the day they turned 3.

But then what if you have a really tall young kid? They might be physically okay for a bigger ride but not ready mentally, is that fair?

To make it fair, go back to the old admission ticket and ride ticket system!

Make the admission reasonable and pay for the rides you want to go on.

Case closed!

That'll be 1 E ticket or 3 A's and a B.

With Magicbands that would be easy to do (but I'm sure will never happen).  I'd be ok with it, as I find these days I prefer to take a slower pace and see the shows with INC and Anna while the older girls ride stuff.  And with the long lines these days, they'd only be able to ride a few things anyways, saving me money.  :D

To keep things going, this piece was in the same article before the Disney one....

Trick or treat, get off his wealthy street

Q: I live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country, but on one of the more 'modest' streets - mostly doctors and lawyers and family business owners. (A few blocks away are billionaires, families with famous last names.) I have noticed that on Halloween, what seems like 75 percent of the trick-or-treaters are clearly not from this neighborhood. Kids arrive in overflowing cars from less fortunate areas. I feel this is inappropriate. Halloween isn't a social service or a charity in which I have to buy candy for less fortunate children. Obviously this makes me feel like a terrible person. But it bugs me because we already pay more than enough taxes toward actual social services. Should Halloween be a neighborhood activity, or is it a free-for-all in which people hunt down the best candy grounds for their kids?

A:
In the urban neighborhood where I used to live, families who were not from the immediate area would come in fairly large groups to trick-or-treat on our streets, which were safe, well-lit and full of people overstocked with candy. It was delightful to see the little mermaids, spider-men, ghosts, and the occasional axe murderer having the time of their lives. So we'd spend an extra $20 to make sure we had enough candy for kids who weren't as fortunate as ours. There you are, on the impoverished side of Greenwich or Beverly Hills, with the other struggling lawyers, doctors, and business owners. Your whine makes me kind of wish that people from the actual poor side of town come this year not with scary costumes but with real pitchforks. Stop being callous and miserly and go to Costco, you cheapskate, and get enough candy to fill the bags of the kids who come one day a year to marvel at how the 1 percent live

With Magicbands that would be easy to do (but I'm sure will never happen).  I'd be ok with it, as I find these days I prefer to take a slower pace and see the shows with INC and Anna while the older girls ride stuff.  And with the long lines these days, they'd only be able to ride a few things anyways, saving me money.   :D

That's how we do Busch, Seaworld, etc with our AP's.  We don't do many rides, we walk around, do shows, and watch my granddaughter do all of the rides.

It's not bad snice we got the AP at a fantastic price, so we don't feel like we are getting ripped off.

Now if we had to pay a full days admission and either didn't go on the rides because we didn't like them, or the lines were too long and couldn't get on, then I would feel like we didn't get our monies worth.

At the MK most rides are family friendly, but I could see some people not going on them for various reasons, so it seems like they aren't truely getting their monies worth.

So they could go back to the system they used to have and like most fairs and smaller attactions do.  Buy tickets and go on the rides you want to go on and lower the general admission price.

To keep things going, this piece was in the same article before the Disney one....

Trick or treat, get off his wealthy street

Q: I live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country, but on one of the more 'modest' streets - mostly doctors and lawyers and family business owners. (A few blocks away are billionaires, families with famous last names.) I have noticed that on Halloween, what seems like 75 percent of the trick-or-treaters are clearly not from this neighborhood. Kids arrive in overflowing cars from less fortunate areas. I feel this is inappropriate. Halloween isn't a social service or a charity in which I have to buy candy for less fortunate children. Obviously this makes me feel like a terrible person. But it bugs me because we already pay more than enough taxes toward actual social services. Should Halloween be a neighborhood activity, or is it a free-for-all in which people hunt down the best candy grounds for their kids?

A: In the urban neighborhood where I used to live, families who were not from the immediate area would come in fairly large groups to trick-or-treat on our streets, which were safe, well-lit and full of people overstocked with candy. It was delightful to see the little mermaids, spider-men, ghosts, and the occasional axe murderer having the time of their lives. So we'd spend an extra $20 to make sure we had enough candy for kids who weren't as fortunate as ours. There you are, on the impoverished side of Greenwich or Beverly Hills, with the other struggling lawyers, doctors, and business owners. Your whine makes me kind of wish that people from the actual poor side of town come this year not with scary costumes but with real pitchforks. Stop being callous and miserly and go to Costco, you cheapskate, and get enough candy to fill the bags of the kids who come one day a year to marvel at how the 1 percent live

When our children were small we lived in a rural neighborhood of 5 houses. The only way our kids had a chance to Trick or Treat was for us to drive into town and find a neighborhood with lots of kids. Later after we moved into town we would see a number of kids from outside the neighborhood. Our opinion was who cares as the whole idea was for the kids to have fun.

As far as the articles they remind me of that TV show where they setup fake situations in public places to see how bystanders react.

Case closed!

I agree completely.  I too wish Disney would go back to the tickets.  It works so much better for families whose little ones might not ride much or families whose members (physically) can ride so very little. 

Ok let's look at the first sentence of the question.

"Q: I live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country, but on one of the more 'modest' streets - mostly doctors and lawyers and family business owners."

Is this person really whining about having to buy an extra bag of candy for some kids?

This person lives on one of the more modest streets. You know the type of street that has those poor doctors, lawyers and business owners.

I feel so sorry for her having to live by those people.

I've been on both sides. When I was in my twenties I lived in the neighborhood where the kids went to the nice part of town to get the " better" candy. Now I'm the guy giving out the good candy. And I love it.

To the person asking the...shut up and spend the extra couple of dollars for kids.

And find a hobby. You've obliviously have to much time on your hands if you can sit around and write such a stupid question.

When our children were small we lived in a rural neighborhood of 5 houses. The only way our kids had a chance to Trick or Treat was for us to drive into town and find a neighborhood with lots of kids. Later after we moved into town we would see a number of kids from outside the neighborhood. Our opinion was who cares as the whole idea was for the kids to have fun.

As far as the articles they remind me of that TV show where they setup fake situations in public places to see how bystanders react.

What writers faking stories?

That can't be, if it's in the paper, on tv, or in the internet it must be true!

The Halloween article has been picked up by a lot of other sites, blogs, etc, so it's a good chance it's the writers 15 minutes of fame.

This is in the same vein as what many folks are complaining about outsiders coming to the Fort to Trick or Treat. I honestly don't care!!!  I love having lots of trick or treaters. It makes the evening fun!!! We live in a neighborhood with NO trick or treaters, and Rick LOVES handing out to the kids. So that's why we really make it a point to be here over Halloween!!

Case closed!

I agree completely.  I too wish Disney would go back to the tickets.  It works so much better for families whose little ones might not ride much or families whose members (physically) can ride so very little. 

Funny you mention this. Rene and I were talking about this same thing when we were at the MK last week running around trying to use our Fast Passes.