The TCD Gang Jump Starts Christmas: An Early November Fort Trip Report

The TCD gang hasn't camped at the Fort since the 4th of July.

I can't tell you how hard it was to not go for Halloween this year.

But we couldn't.  We already had other plans.

The oldest TCD DD had a conference to attend in Orlando the week beginning November 1, and was going to be done by Nov. 5.  She got permission to stay in Orlando for a few days after, and asked me to make Fort reservations.  So I did.  For four nights. Meaning we would be there November 5th through the 9th.

The twins got busy switching around work shifts, and got most of that time off.

And, they let me know that there were CM discounts available for this year's first Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on Friday, November 7th. I told them to go ahead and get us 5 of those.

The whole TCD gang was going to go to the MVMCP! 

Even Mrs. TCD.

We haven't done that in years.

And so our story begins with me loading up the trusty TCD big blue Excursion, and hitching up the TCD camper, and heading East on the morning of Wednesday, November 5.

Just me.

That's how it's been the last few times.  The TCD girls are all other places, and we meet at the Fort.

And, Mrs. TCD was just going to come over for the Christmas party night, and then head back home.

It was a gorgeous morning.

There was a thread here recently asking about a new RV dealer on I-4.  I've watched that dealership go up over the past year, and thought I'd snap a photo of it as I cruised by.

Since I had the camera ready, I figured I'd take a few more photos of the interesting things I see when I head to Disney World.

Like this collection of Airstream trailers which was erected several years ago by a nearby RV dealer:

11514001_zps1f0eaa11.jpg

Here's some photos of the new General RV Center-it's a big place:

11514002_zps367e808d.jpg

11514003_zps2d51b38b.jpg

11514004_zpse49907be.jpg

Here's a photo of a new building just past Lakeland- it's the campus of Florida's newest State University- Florida Polytechnic University:

11514006_zpsadff0356.jpg

Here's a professional shot showing my tax dollars at work:

FPU1.jpg

Just before my WDW exit, I see this giant Mickey head holding up wires.  That's when I know it's time to turn:

11514007_zps209143cb.jpg

This is the entrance to DHS that most folks don't know about- you can also see the Earful Tower there just above the trees to the right of the roadway:

11514009_zpsea67f56c.jpg

We're getting closer.  Note that there are Christmas wreaths hanging outside of the booths. It was just Halloween 5 days earlier:

11514010_zps7fe83b10.jpg

We're here:

11514011_zpsd5228334.jpg

When I made my reservation, the twins had not been able to find a CM discount. What came up for me on-line was either a partial or a premium site.  The price difference for four nights was nearly $150.  I went with the partial.  I requested the 1500 loop by all means possible, and also did the on-line check in, since that gave me another chance to request the 1500 loop.  We haven't camped on the 1500 loop in a while, and I was looking forward to it.  Checking in on a Wednesday, I figured there would be plenty of open sites on 1500, and we'd be fine.

Like usual, there was no designated lane for on-line check in guests.  There were only three lanes open, and they were all occupied.

It wasn't busy, so I hung back so I could pull into whatever lane cleared first:

11514013_zps0d8f49f0.jpg

Hey- do you see those construction workers in the hardhats over there?

I wonder what they're up to?

They are from Faden Builders- which is the same company that just completed all the work on Pioneer Hall:

11514014_zps9d97d80e.jpg

As I sat there waiting for a lane to clear, a CM came out and waved me over to the lane in front of me. Good.  I figured she knew that guest was wrapping things up, and I would be next. 

But, that trailer didn't move.

I sat and waited.

I got a good look at the old Reception Outpost building- I wonder if those construction guys are about to freshen this building up like they recently did at Pioneer Hall?:

11514015_zpsbcb2d50c.jpg

As I continued to sit there, the two lanes to my left opened up.  Since a CM told me to pull in here, I didn't back up and move to another lane.  I thought maybe those other lanes would be closing, and they wanted me here.

But then another trailer arrived, and pulled right in to one of the open lanes.

Hey.

That's not very magical.

Why did the CM tell me to pull in to this lane?

That same CM then came out and asked me if I wanted to back up and move over to the other open lane.

Gee thanks.

I would have been there had she let me sit where I was earlier.

No big deal.

At least it wasn't busy.

And, I had done on-line check in.

So the CM fetched my package and told me I was all set.

I was in site 2064.

Wait a minute, I said.

I had requested 1500.

She said she saw that, but 1500 was sold out.

I asked what that meant- were all the sites occupied?

She said no, it was reserved for a church group.

I said I wish they wouldn't put groups in the 1500 loop.  Why don't they put them in the 2000 loop, and leave 1500 for individual campers?

She said she didn't control that.

I said I had arrived on a Wednesday specifically because I knew it wouldn't be busy, and that there would be open sites on the 1500 loop, and this was just not acceptable.

Why does that group get to have reserved spots, and I can't?

I said I would like to please speak to a manager.  The whole time, I was nice, and did not argue with the CM.  I just told her that I was disappointed, and wanted to look in to other options.

Or, I suggested, instead of getting the manager, could she check and see if I could upgrade, and how much it would cost?

She said she thought there was availability in the full hook up loops.

I asked her to check the preferred loops.

She said that's two levels higher and would cost more.  I told her I knew.  I asked her to check 100.

She said they had one site open on 100- site 127.

I asked her if I could see the book.

She let me look.

127 is the last site on 100.  The one to your left as you come in the driveway that splits of into 100 and 200.  I know that site. Its seems like it's always occupied by long term campers.  I always thought that it looked like a nice site.

I told her I would take it.

She said, you got it.

I thanked her profusely.  I told her that she had made my day.

And, I think that thanking earned me some Pixie Dust.

She gave me a new map for site 127, and told me have fun.

I asked her how I should handle paying for the upgrade- now, or would it just be added to my account?

She said that she wasn't going to charge me for the upgrade.

Because I was nice.

Winning.

I have my daughters to thank for that successful transaction.  Since they have become Disney CM's they've let me know that Disney CM's really want to please guests. If there is something that they can do to help a guest with a problem, they will always try and do it.  But not if the guest is nasty.  If the guest is nasty or rude, the deal is off.  And don't expect a manager to help if you're being rude or nasty to a CM.  The key is keeping calm, and being polite, and suggesting to the CM what she can do to remedy the issue.  That's what I did here, and it worked perfectly.

So, instead of being in the 1500 loop, I ended up here, on the last site on the 100 loop.  Here I am getting ready to set things up:

11514016_zps9464fdfd.jpg

The nice thing about this site is that it has a large side yard, and no neighbor:

11514017_zps6b564676.jpg

I got busy getting the site ready.

About an hour in, I heard from the girls- the twins had picked up big sister, and they were heading to the Fort.  I told them I wasn't done setting up yet, and that they should go get some lunch.  So, they did.

I kept right on working, and had things in pretty good shape when the girls arrived at around 4.

Our plan for the night was to eat an early dinner at the site, and then head over to the MK to see the first castle lighting ceremony, then head over to Hollywood Studios for the CM preview of the Osborne Lights.

But, the girls had a late lunch, and nobody was ready for an early dinner.

So, we ditched the early dinner plan, and hung out at the site for a bit.

Then we headed to the MK.

Check out the sunset as we headed to the MK on Bay Lake:

11514020_zps08856f81.jpg

11514022_zps443a6353.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful night it was.

We got our first look at the new Main Street wreaths:

11514024_zpsb4c80d7b.jpg

We all thought that the wreaths were nice, but we all miss the garland that they used to use.

It wasn't too busy walking in to the MK, but there was a huge crowd gathered around the hub for the castle lighting.  This photo is taken from just over the bridge at the base of the hub It was packed:

11514025_zpsedb1afc9.jpg

This would be a good spot to watch the fireworks from, but it was too far back to see what was going on up on the stage.  This is a photo from the show-Olaf is on the balcony where the Fairy Godmother used to be.  Also look how many phone screens you see:

11514028_zps227ca650.jpg

That white blob you see under Walt's arm is the new Olaf character. This is the first time anyone has seen him:

11514030_zpsf3f52397.jpg

Here, Elsa is using her freezing powers to turn the castle in to ice:

11514032_zps3e7ad914.jpg

Look at all the little castles you can see on everyone's phone screens:

11514034_zpsf005cd37.jpg

I could have watched the show on one of the phone screens being held up in front of me:

11514035_zps41d74453.jpg

Hey, there's an iPad over there on the right- I should have moved over to watch his screen:

11514038_zpsc05e91bc.jpg

Finally, the bad acting was over, and they lit the castle:

11514046_zps19508b0c.jpg

You would think that was enough with the Anna, Elsa and Olaf dialog, but they kept on going :

11514050_zps49b24c12.jpg

Luckily for us, there was a FP+ glitch the week before our trip, and I was able to snag Mine Train FP+'s for us to use before heading to Hollywood Studios.  I took this shot of the castle as we moved though the hub on the way to the Mine Train.  I really like the Dreamlights:

11514051_zpsdfbb7a1b.jpg

I wanted to get even closer, but the crowds were still bad.  We figured we could take some better photos after we rode the Mine Train.

But, after we rode the Mine Train, they shut off the lights.

There are two lighting ceremonies each night, so the lights apparently only stay on for 15-20 minutes after the first show.

After the Mine Train, we headed back to the Fort.

Here's our site in the dark:

11514052_zps70e5f6e6.jpg

We were all hungry by now.

So, we got our traditional first night meal- a Giddyap and Go chicken dinner from Trail's End take out.

And we ate like kings.

Or more like Kentucky Colonels.

And then we headed to Hollywood Studios.

We made sure to stop and admire the BAH. It's not going to be here for long:

11514054_zps703a1da8.jpg

Next up, we enjoy the Osborne Lights with a bunch of CM's.

First page bragging rights are officially up for grabs.

Hurry!

TCD

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll sing Christmas carols cheaper than the $30 for a special band! Dominic the donkey is my specialty.

The TCD gang hasn't camped at the Fort since the 4th of July.   I can't tell you how hard it was to not go for Halloween this year.   But we couldn't.  We already had other plans.   The oldest TCD DD

It's Florida....it thaws quickly. 

Now that i have actually read the report, I will comment.  Great job on being a nice guy.  I am glad you got a great site and a great price.  It is good to be TCD.

They did a live feed of the castle lighting that I watched with my kids on Friday night.  I was the only one in my house who clapped when the lights went on.  I need to spend more time training these kids on the important things in life.

Can't wait for more!

Here's a photo of a new building just past Lakeland- it's the campus of Florida's newest State University- Florida Polytechnic University:

11514006_zpsadff0356.jpg

Thanks for letting us know what this building is!  I saw it on the way to Lakeland last month and was going to ask about it.

Congratulations on the great site upgrade.  We love the 100 loop.  Just can't fit into it any more.