The TCD Gang Goes to Disneyland!

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoa! Stop the bus! Stop the bus! Back up the damn boat!   Snow White had to WALK?! That's bullsh*t!   Let's face it, people, it all did NOT start with a Mouse -- it started with a princess and her na

Sounds like we need to plan a Grand Gathering just to do the bumper cars at Knobels!!!!!!

Yesterday at this time, the TCD gang was in Disneyland, eating lunch in the Plaza Inn, and otherwise enjoying our last of a five day invasion of the Happiest Place on Earth.   We arrived early on Thur

Finished!  I am always late to the show, but I got it read.  ^_^

I really want to go to DL now.  I was very much hoping for a road trip west summer of 2016 but my son's boy scout troop was just invited to a Northern Tier summer camp in Minnesota that summer.  This is a wonderful opportunity for him so I am pretty sure we are going to let him go.  We'll drive him up, hang out in Minnesota for a week and then come home.    We have never been north so it will be a new experience for all of us.  Not sure what we are going to do up there but after our Disney trip this summer it will give me something to research.  But it also means a trip out west probably won't happen unless we win the lottery or my husband gets a really good raise.  So maybe 2017 now...

Not a corn dog fan but that one looked good.  

I think it's great your daughters were able to do the college program and that it helped them to know that they want to work at Disney.  I went to school to be a teacher.  Had a very rough student teaching experience and a rougher 1st year of teaching.  As much as I love kids and working with them I realized teaching isn't really for me.

I wish I would have taken the time to figure out what else is out there instead of just focusing on being a teacher.    Now that I have 3 kids -all needing speech therapy  and all having something called Sensory Processing Disorder where they need an occupational therapist I realize there were other choices I could have made in college.  If I get a chance to go back to school I think I will consider speech pathology or occupational therapy.   I can't see that far into the future at the moment since I have a 2 year old that needs me at home right now.  

We have 114 days until we are in Florida.  Not that I am counting down or anything. B)

Reasons I love Disneyland races:

16250931289_b54355680e_o.jpg

16435467011_caa894caf9_o.jpg

Wow, running past the Disneyland Small World ride when it is all lit up like that would be cool!

And good job snapping the Captain Hook and Green Army Man shot! 

THANK YOU!

I did find those articles very interesting, and found two more from the same author discussing Hollywood Studios architecture.

I have a new appreciation for the architecture at Hollywood Studios. I don't know why Disney itself doesn't explain or promote this in any way.

Also, taking this all into account really shows what a boneheaded move it was to block the view of the Chinese Theater with that giant hat.

Very cool, TCD. I love stuff like that. 

And congrats on all the blig LWQuestie.

If you like that kind of stuff, check out those two links from LWQuestie. It seems as if every building in DHS is inspired by a real California building. I never knew that.

Neat info.

As I said to GDF, if you like that kind of stuff, check out those links. I find it all very interesting.

Finished!  I am always late to the show, but I got it read.  ^_^

I really want to go to DL now.  I was very much hoping for a road trip west summer of 2016 but my son's boy scout troop was just invited to a Northern Tier summer camp in Minnesota that summer.  This is a wonderful opportunity for him so I am pretty sure we are going to let him go.  We'll drive him up, hang out in Minnesota for a week and then come home.    We have never been north so it will be a new experience for all of us.  Not sure what we are going to do up there but after our Disney trip this summer it will give me something to research.  But it also means a trip out west probably won't happen unless we win the lottery or my husband gets a really good raise.  So maybe 2017 now...

Not a corn dog fan but that one looked good.  

I think it's great your daughters were able to do the college program and that it helped them to know that they want to work at Disney.  I went to school to be a teacher.  Had a very rough student teaching experience and a rougher 1st year of teaching.  As much as I love kids and working with them I realized teaching isn't really for me.

I wish I would have taken the time to figure out what else is out there instead of just focusing on being a teacher.    Now that I have 3 kids -all needing speech therapy  and all having something called Sensory Processing Disorder where they need an occupational therapist I realize there were other choices I could have made in college.  If I get a chance to go back to school I think I will consider speech pathology or occupational therapy.   I can't see that far into the future at the moment since I have a 2 year old that needs me at home right now.  

We have 114 days until we are in Florida.  Not that I am counting down or anything. B)

Thanks for sharing about your career choice, and wishing you had explored other options. We are kind of at a crossroads with the twins. When they first told us they wanted to take a semester off to do the Disney college program, I was hesitant, but figured it wouldn't do any harm. Now they're talking about taking another semester off. Two semesters is a year of school. That's going to throw them off track of graduating in four years.  On the other hand, the program is giving them real life experience working with a relatively well managed company.  The Disneyland program would give them the chance to live and work in California for almost six months.  When else would they ever have a chance to do that?

For what it's worth, I think you're right to let you son go to the Scout camp in Minnesota.  You can always go to Disneyland, but he won't always have a chance to do that.

Here's hoping those 114 days fly by for you.  I know they will!

TCD

Wow, running past the Disneyland Small World ride when it is all lit up like that would be cool!

And good job snapping the Captain Hook and Green Army Man shot! 

TCD

I really preferred the Disneyland races to WDW, because you run through the city of Anaheim, through neighborhoods, past people's houses, etc.  People are out in their yards in PJs, cheering and supporting the runners.  Such a cool experience.

I had to hoof it to get that photo.  I took several, but they are all super-blurry (as we were both running).  The Green Army Man is actually Peter Pan, and there's a Tinker Bell in front of/between both of them.  Looking at that picture again, there may also be a Tiana over to the left.

And I think I see a Pocahontas on the left in the Small World photo and Belle and Ariel over on the right. 

I love all the detail at the parks and figuring out what inspired it.  I was visiting friends in LA a few months ago, and got to see the Crossroads of the World in person.  Totally geeked out over that :D

I really preferred the Disneyland races to WDW, because you run through the city of Anaheim, through neighborhoods, past people's houses, etc.  People are out in their yards in PJs, cheering and supporting the runners.  Such a cool experience.

I had to hoof it to get that photo.  I took several, but they are all super-blurry (as we were both running).  The Green Army Man is actually Peter Pan, and there's a Tinker Bell in front of/between both of them.  Looking at that picture again, there may also be a Tiana over to the left.

And I think I see a Pocahontas on the left in the Small World photo and Belle and Ariel over on the right. 

I love all the detail at the parks and figuring out what inspired it.  I was visiting friends in LA a few months ago, and got to see the Crossroads of the World in person.  Totally geeked out over that :D

In case he/she is reading this, my apologies to Peter Pan for calling him/her a green army man.  I totally see that is a Peter Pan costume now.

Thanks for posting your photos- if the TCD twins are able to score spots in the Disneyland DCP, I'm going to run in one of the Disneyland races.

And, I'm going to go and look for some of those buildings that are represented at DHS.

TCD

Update!

Heidi received the limited edition $14 Disneyland candy cane, and posted this review on the current TCD TR.

I am reposting it here for future reference:

OK, now for my BIG news!!!! I received the candy cane today in the mail!!!! I was/am so excited. Here is my "candy cane review"!!!!!!
The peppermint smell is heavenly! It definitely has a MUCH stronger smell then the average candy cane.
After having a few licks, I can say that it has a stronger peppermint flavor then the average candy cane and was super yummy!
After taking a bite, I have to say that the texture was really different.....not sure how I can explain that any better, but it was almost grainy and not as smooth as a store bought candy cane.
My overall opinion.....I like it for sure and will enjoy every bite/lick......but, it is not as good as I expected after watching them being made on Guy F's show. They are NOT worth $14.00.
Andrew, you have completed a bucket list item for me in getting a chance to have an authentic Disneyland candy cane!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!

So, there you have it- a second opinion.  This one from an expert.  The $14 candy canes are good, but not worth $14.

Now you know.

TCD

Now you've done it! We just booked flights to California in October - to go to Disneyland! We have a lot of researching and planning to do before then. Part of Kenneth's research is to read this trip report! I've learned a lot from it - your attention to detail is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Now you've done it! We just booked flights to California in October - to go to Disneyland! We have a lot of researching and planning to do before then. Part of Kenneth's research is to read this trip report! I've learned a lot from it - your attention to detail is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Wow, that's great!

I hope that you share your plans and experiences so others can benefit.  The twins and I have broken down the trip since we've been back, and there isn't much that we would have done differently.  The only thing that we skipped that we wished we hadn't was the animation building in California Adventure.  That's where they have their Turtle Talk with Crush and animation classes, and some other stuff that looks interesting.  There are some restaurants that we want to try next time. but other than that, we are satisfied with all that we got to do on our first visit.

How many people are going the Disneyland this year?

With the 60th anniversary stuff they're adding, this is the year to do it.

Me!!!

Yes, and soon!   Like I said to Sherryberry above, I hope that you share your experiences here so we can learn and plan.

TCD

Wow, that's great!

I hope that you share your plans and experiences so others can benefit.  The twins and I have broken down the trip since we've been back, and there isn't much that we would have done differently.  The only thing that we skipped that we wished we hadn't was the animation building in California Adventure.  That's where they have their Turtle Talk with Crush and animation classes, and some other stuff that looks interesting.  There are some restaurants that we want to try next time. but other than that, we are satisfied with all that we got to do on our first visit.

With the 60th anniversary stuff they're adding, this is the year to do it.

Yes, and soon!   Like I said to Sherryberry above, I hope that you share your experiences here so we can learn and plan.

TCD

Yes, a trip report will be forthcoming!! (I've also got to finish the Halloween trip report......)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't feel like searching 30 pages to find out and I can't remember but did you get fried chicken at the plaza? Can't sleep and I was on IG and some Disney food blogger posted a pic of it and made me wonder about your trip.

Heck yes, we had the fried chicken!  And it was great!  You can read about it at the very top of page 24, above.  This link should take you there: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/14371-the-tcd-gang-goes-to-disneyland/?p=425049

Been wondering, did you DD1 get the job she interviewed for on the phone?

I am pretty sure that the job interview you are asking about is the one my older daughter did from outside the bus station in London.  That is from this trip report: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/15614-globetrotting-to-disneyland-paris-and-back-with-tcd/

To answer your question, that phone interview led to an on-campus interview.  She has not heard back with an offer from that University.

But, she has had several other phone interviews, and another on-campus interview since we returned.  She has been a busy girl.  She has two on-campus interviews scheduled in two different states next week.  But, the big news is that she has a real live job offer sitting on the table.  She has to make a decision by 5 pm today.  Which is really, really tough for her since she's got those two other interviews next week.  If she turns down the current offer, they're going to offer the job to the next guy, and it will be gone.  The problem is she thinks she'd rather work for one of the two places she has interviews with next week.  But this current job offer is a very good one from a major University in this state.  Poor kid.

TCD

• 6 months later...

I actually wanted to get a Hot Link Corn Dog from there, but the twins vetoed that plan.  They said we HAD to got to the Little Red Wagon.

TCD

Have you tried the Hot Link one?  That sounded good to me.

TCD

Thanks for posting your photos- if the TCD twins are able to score spots in the Disneyland DCP, I'm going to run in one of the Disneyland races.

And, I'm going to go and look for some of those buildings that are represented at DHS.

TCD

Howdy!  Freshly back from Disneyland - ran the Star Wars Half Marathon and enjoyed some of the Diamond Celebration activities!

Updates:  Got my husband to try the Hot Link corndog (I don't do spicy).  He said it was legit spicy and really enjoyed it.  In fact, he regretted that we stopped for corndogs before getting a beer, as he could have used a drink while eating the dog.  I actually haven't gotten one at the Red Wagon.  Will have to put that on the list for next time.  We tend to spend more time in California Adventure. 

After the race on Sunday morning, we headed to Hollywood to watch Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the El Capitan theatre.  If you are not familiar with the name, this is the movie house that Disney often uses for premieres.  It's directly across the street from the Dolby Theatre (where the Oscars are held) and just down the street from the real Chinese theatre that inspires the one in Hollywood Studios.  This was SUCH a cool experience.  There was an organist playing Star Wars music before the movie began and a laser/lightsaber show as well.  Oh!  The organ (with organist) sank down into a hole in the ground when the movie was almost ready to begin.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Capitan_Theatre

Connecting back to earlier discussion, we drove right past the old Max Factor building, which was featured in those articles I posted last year from Yesterland.  Did you ever get a chance to look around for the real buildings?  And I don't recall seeing any race photos of you from Disneyland?!  ;-)

I also visited a friend while in Disneyland; he started his CA DCP this past Saturday!  Strangely, he was also WDW DCP while your girls were there. 

Next race - Star Wars Dark Side Half in April.  Are you registered???

Howdy!  Freshly back from Disneyland - ran the Star Wars Half Marathon and enjoyed some of the Diamond Celebration activities!

Updates:  Got my husband to try the Hot Link corndog (I don't do spicy).  He said it was legit spicy and really enjoyed it.  In fact, he regretted that we stopped for corndogs before getting a beer, as he could have used a drink while eating the dog.  I actually haven't gotten one at the Red Wagon.  Will have to put that on the list for next time.  We tend to spend more time in California Adventure. 

After the race on Sunday morning, we headed to Hollywood to watch Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the El Capitan theatre.  If you are not familiar with the name, this is the movie house that Disney often uses for premieres.  It's directly across the street from the Dolby Theatre (where the Oscars are held) and just down the street from the real Chinese theatre that inspires the one in Hollywood Studios.  This was SUCH a cool experience.  There was an organist playing Star Wars music before the movie began and a laser/lightsaber show as well.  Oh!  The organ (with organist) sank down into a hole in the ground when the movie was almost ready to begin.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Capitan_Theatre

Connecting back to earlier discussion, we drove right past the old Max Factor building, which was featured in those articles I posted last year from Yesterland.  Did you ever get a chance to look around for the real buildings?  And I don't recall seeing any race photos of you from Disneyland?!  ;-)

I also visited a friend while in Disneyland; he started his CA DCP this past Saturday!  Strangely, he was also WDW DCP while your girls were there. 

Next race - Star Wars Dark Side Half in April.  Are you registered???

Cool stuff!

As a post script to this trip report, it ended up that both TCD Twins were accepted into the Disneyland Resort College Program, and spent from August 2015 until early January 2016 living and working at Disneyland.

I made it back to Disneyland three times since this first trip last year, and never did try that Hot Links Corndog.  The twins tried it and told me to stick with the original.

I never did sign up for a Run Disney event since this TR.  But, running a Disney race is one of my New Year's resolutions this year.  So, I've got some research and planning to do.

In none of those three trips back to Disneyland did I ever venture out from Anaheim.  As you probably noticed, the traffic there is horrendous, and the El Capitan and stuff on Hollywood Blvd. was like an hour and a half car ride away in really heavy traffic.  The twins did a lot of exploring in the area while they were there, but I never did.

TCD

Cool stuff!

As a post script to this trip report, it ended up that both TCD Twins were accepted into the Disneyland Resort College Program, and spent from August 2015 until early January 2016 living and working at Disneyland.

I made it back to Disneyland three times since this first trip last year, and never did try that Hot Links Corndog.  The twins tried it and told me to stick with the original.

I never did sign up for a Run Disney event since this TR.  But, running a Disney race is one of my New Year's resolutions this year.  So, I've got some research and planning to do.

In none of those three trips back to Disneyland did I ever venture out from Anaheim.  As you probably noticed, the traffic there is horrendous, and the El Capitan and stuff on Hollywood Blvd. was like an hour and a half car ride away in really heavy traffic.  The twins did a lot of exploring in the area while they were there, but I never did.

TCD

Yep. The day we ventured to Hollywood to go to Price is Right, the traffic was horrendous. That coupled with the 5 hour "pre-show" prep process turned seeing a 1-hour show in person into a 12-hour day.