Surprise, Santa, and a Shiny new AP Holder… A GDF Trip Report

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it’s time for another GDF trip report. This trip started small and ended up much bigger. Originally, I thought Z and I might drive down for a few days before Christmas to see some Disney lights

We’ve made it to December 26th, our last day. The plan for this day was to hit Animal Kingdom for a bit and then hang at the Fort and go to the Fiend Grand Gathering at DIT’s site.   We weren’t doing

Okay so I'm about half way done with this report.  It's keeping me sane on these hard days of adjustment.  We got home from China about a week and a half ago!  Yay!   Here's the boys at the airport!  

Based on that, it doesn't sound like Bailey should ride. Z was OK with it but didn't love it. He loves the Haunted Mansion but hates the witch at the end of the 7DMT. Aren't kids weird?

The giraffe pictures were taken with my phone they were very close. 

Yes... kiddos can be pretty silly :)

WOW... those giraffes were close!  You guys were lucky :)

Oh Lol I Thought It Was Something Else. My Children Love It. We Try And Spend A Long Time There Resting Our Adult Legs.

For some background, there used to be a guy on this board called DaveInTn.

He used to write nice trip reports, and post funny things.

In one of his TR's we had a pretty good discussion about the big sandbox in the Boneyard at AK.

You can read that here if you wish: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/8755-daveintns-christmas-2012-extravaganza-aka-700-photos-of-anna-and-food/?p=240568

TCD

In one of his TR's we had a pretty good discussion about the big sandbox in the Boneyard at AK.

You can read that here if you wish: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/8755-daveintns-christmas-2012-extravaganza-aka-700-photos-of-anna-and-food/?p=240568

TCD

I now have a clear picture of what you are talking about. Last time we had two little guys 3 and 18 months. They sat and played afterwards the 18 months diaper was full of rocks. I begin to sweat and twitch at the thought of my gang in there now. Yeah that might be a by pass area. I can just tell them it's a play n puke, they will avoid it like the plague. 

That's better.

But something isn't right.  Everyone looks perfectly calm and happy in that photo.  That dinosaur must not have been functioning properly.

TCD

Well, I had a feeling it was coming. Z looks a little concerned, but I told him I thought it was about to happen. The girl behind me screamed and hid. I don't have anything to compare it to though. 

Please let Mr. I Don't Like Disney know that it will be his job at the Bald Ridge GG to convince his twin Mr. I Also Don't like Disney that Disney really is a lot of fun.  

I wouldn't hold your breath... I don't see Jason trying to convince anyone to go to Disney. He's a weird creature. He's reluctant to go and doesn't get AT ALL excited about the planning, but then when we're there, he LOVES it. He'll even admit he's loving it while we're there, but only while we're there. Could it be Disney magic? 

Why avoid the Dino Dig? 

See below. 

Have you hat the pleasure horror of visiting there with a child?

TCD

I fixed that for you. 

Because it's nearly impossible to get a child out of there!

Amen

I just got caught up again.  Those archive kissing photos are the very best of this whole trip report IMO!!  Love that and it is so sweet!

She's really sweet to him too. It's cute. 

Oh Lol I Thought It Was Something Else. My Children Love It. We Try And Spend A Long Time There Resting Our Adult Legs.

I'm too nervous there to rest. 

Yes... kiddos can be pretty silly :)

WOW... those giraffes were close!  You guys were lucky :)

One thing I love about the safari is how different it is from time to time. One time one of the lions was really active and much closer. I think it was trying to eat a zebra. This time some of the giraffes were almost in the road. 

TCD

I miss that guy. I finally got to meet him in person, and now he's quit posting. Did I scare him off? 

I now have a clear picture of what you are talking about. Last time we had two little guys 3 and 18 months. They sat and played afterwards the 18 months diaper was full of rocks. I begin to sweat and twitch at the thought of my gang in there now. Yeah that might be a by pass area. I can just tell them it's a play n puke, they will avoid it like the plague. 

I hate how it's hard to keep track of the kids in parts too. 

We left off on the way to Expedition Everest, my favorite rollercoaster. Z decided that he was ready to ride it this trip. We’d measured him at home, and he was tall enough, but barely. After reading about some discrepancy in measuring sticks, we brought the cowboy boots for good measure. I didn’t want him to be brave and get turned away.

Side note, I’ve always loved this bus/food stand.

IMG_1908.jpg

The boots put him well over the line. Whoooo Hoooo!

Blurry queue

IMG_1909.jpg

Good theming

IMG_1910.jpg

I forgot to mention that at the safari, our MBs were only scanned once… at the beginning. Here at Everest, we saw the same thing. The second set of scanners was covered.

IMG_1911.jpg

Remember this is December 26th, and the week between Christmas and New Year’s is the busiest week of the year. I’m kind of wondering if they didn’t scan twice to keep the crowd moving. Anyone who has used the Mickey readers has seen people who can’t figure them out.

Z is ready!

IMG_1912.jpg

Awful picture of me, but look, here we go!

IMG_1913.jpg

Our ride photo… Z closed his eyes on the drop. And yes, I pulled a mom and put my hand over him.

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneys_Animal_Kingdo

Here he is after the ride.

IMG_1914.jpg

Then we asked him if he’d ride again. He said no. I asked him if he’d ride it again for a piece of candy. He said yes. So there you go. He didn’t love it as much as BTMRR and was a little scared of it, but he’d ride it for some skittles. When I asked him what scared him, he said it wasn’t the actually rollercoaster part, it was the yeti. I guess it’s a good thing it didn’t really work!

After buying Z an Everest t-shirt, we headed towards Nemo. But on the way, we realized how hungry we were and that we had some extra time, so we went to Restaurantosaurus. I know, I know… We didn’t go to Flame Tree. The reason was that we’d had ribs and BBQ the night before.

There was a bit of a wait, but they didn’t have all the lines open. Hey, it’s like the grocery store!

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

Lunch, nothing fancy but it was edible. And we saved 20% off with my new TIW card.

IMG_1917.jpg

Z’s lunch. I probably should have ordered a kid’s meal.

IMG_1918.jpg

It was a typical Disney burger lunch, but I’m telling you… those fries are better. We didn’t have a soggy fry the whole trip!

After our quick lunch, we headed to Nemo.

You know what I love? People who stop right in front of you to check their map!

IMG_1919.jpg

Too bad they didn’t have an iPad. That would have made a better picture.

We arrived at Nemo, and we were excited because we’d never seen the show before. Well, I don’t know if Jason was really excited, but Z and I were.

IMG_1920.jpg

It was a great show!

IMG_1921.jpg

Z loved when they ran through the audience.

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

I thought the show was really cute. I still like FOTLK better, but I’m glad we finally saw Nemo.

After the show it was time to head back to the Fort to prepare for the Fiend GG!

It was crowded at this point.

IMG_1924.jpg

Rivers of Light construction

IMG_1925.jpg

Crowds and walls

IMG_1926.jpg

More walls

IMG_1928.jpg

Seriously, all of Animal Kingdom is walls. Walls, walls, walls

Family tree shot before heading to the bus

IMG_1931.jpg

Z enjoyed some rock candy while we waited on the bus.

IMG_1933.jpg

We’ll head to the Fort in the next update! Are you ready for food and Fiends? 

I would've put my hand in front of Z, too.  He looks so little in the seat!

Incredibly I have never seen Nemo.  I try and go every trip and every time my family vetoes it.  And the ironic thing is my friend's brother plays Bruce the shark and is always telling me he'll get us backstage.  And my family still says no!

Wait.  Y'all took your first ride on Dinosaur, and no photo?  No comment?  My oldest daughter hated that ride.  As a result, the twins refused to go, even when they were tall enough.  After the ride went down for a refurbishment, and they lowered the height requirement, I heard that the ride was less intense, so I convinced all three girls to go.  They all hated it.  Really hated it.  And, it's a famous story in our family now about how I tricked them to go on it.  They still hate it, because that dinosaur at the end still scares the bejeezus out of them.  But, we ride it almost every time we go to AK.

I've never seen an animal guide sheet like that one Z got.  I want one.

TCD

Good story. Miley has rode it a 3 or 4 times she says she will ride it again if she has to. But if grandma and grandpa are around she is staying with them. Now she said she is through with TOT She has rode it 3 times. But she says it hurts her back when it slams her back in to the seat. So until she is bigger we are done with those rides.

I would've put my hand in front of Z, too.  He looks so little in the seat!

Incredibly I have never seen Nemo.  I try and go every trip and every time my family vetoes it.  And the ironic thing is my friend's brother plays Bruce the shark and is always telling me he'll get us backstage.  And my family still says no!

We called my mom after Z rode EE, and she said she was glad she didn't know beforehand. 

You need to see Nemo. I can't believe you can even get backstage and haven't. That would be awesome! The same thing you describe happens with us every trip, but this time I put my foot down. We were seeing Nemo. I almost caved because of the new FOTLK theater, but I'm glad I didn't. 

I have yet to have a ride where I don't try to cover my kids in some way. It's instinctual. I'm getting better now that she's 11, but I still can't help it. :)

Loved the pics and TR!

It is instinct! Z won't let me touch him on BTMRR though. 

Z rode EE!!!

Awesome! He's getting so big. Next time we are at Disney the same time as y'all I'll have to bring Z a big bag of skittles. (I've got cases of skittles.). That way he will ride those roller coasters with my DD so I don't have to. Lol

Z is getting big. The cool thing is that every age becomes my new favorite with him. I hope that keeps happening.

You know I'm not the best influence with your daughter and you riding roller coasters.... we'll be getting to that soon. LOL! 

Good story. Miley has rode it a 3 or 4 times she says she will ride it again if she has to. But if grandma and grandpa are around she is staying with them. Now she said she is through with TOT She has rode it 3 times. But she says it hurts her back when it slams her back in to the seat. So until she is bigger we are done with those rides.

Z wanted to ride ToT when we were there in 2013, but he's changed his mind. Since I'm afraid of that ride too, I'm OK with that. 

I've always heard that the purpose of the first MB scanner is to determine that you have a valid FP+ for the ride, and the second is to confirm that the FP+ has been used.  Since the second scanner was covered, do you think you could have gone through the FP+ line again?  I'm going to check that some time.

And wow- y'all did a lot of firsts at AK this trip. The fact that there was so much you hadn't done there must be a side effect of your past non-hopping ways.

TCD

I've always heard that the purpose of the first MB scanner is to determine that you have a valid FP+ for the ride, and the second is to confirm that the FP+ has been used.  Since the second scanner was covered, do you think you could have gone through the FP+ line again?  I'm going to check that some time.

And wow- y'all did a lot of firsts at AK this trip. The fact that there was so much you hadn't done there must be a side effect of your past non-hopping ways.

TCD

Park hopping nearly killed Z, so I'm not sure we'll be doing a lot in the near future. The big first was an AP for Jason!!!! I always got outvoted on Nemo. I still think FOTLK is better. Don't you? 

Another great update.  I'm ready for food and Fiends!

Here they come! 

We arrived back at the Fort and hopped on the cart.

IMG_1935.jpg

Jason started the BGE because we had a ham to smoke.

IMG_1937.jpg

The recipe is really simple. It’s actually my mom’s holiday ham recipe cooked on the BGE. We’re cooking indirect here, which means that the plate setter is blocking the direct flames and making the egg more like an oven. You buy a non-spiral sliced ham. I believe this one was just under 8 lbs. I put pineapple slices and then baste it with a glaze of pineapple juice and brown sugar during cooking.

Here we go.

IMG_1938.jpg

I interrupt this cooking for a bit of bad news about the golf cart seats. They’re already showing a bit of wear.

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

Keep in mind that we did spray cream seats black though. I still think they’ll hold out until we are ready to buy real covers though. And didn’t it only cost $15 or something? Oh well.

While we were cooking, some Fiendish visitors arrived!

It’s Ray AKA H2odiver and his DD.

IMG_1942.jpg

Our cute kids

IMG_1940.jpg

Ray and his DD headed to the MK for a bit, and Jason and I relaxed and continued to smoke the ham.

We’re still learning how to cook on the Mini Max; timing is a bit different on it. It wasn’t finished and seemed like it was going to be awhile when the GG was starting, so we loaded it on the cart and took it to DIT’s site.

It was time to eat, drink, and be merry with Fiends! Now, it’s been a month, so if I get any names wrong, I apologize in advance. Jump in with any I miss.

Sheila (Sheraugh) and Tim (Campinghound) were already there.

IMG_1945.jpg

Z and Stella got serious with some Olaf’s in Trouble.

IMG_1946.jpg

Brandy (Family of Bears), hubby, and baby

IMG_1947.jpg

Lorna (LornaDuck) and Ray (H2odiver)

IMG_1948.jpg

The Trouble crowd grew. Fiends sure do have cute kids!

IMG_1951.jpg

The ham finished much quicker than I thought it would. Isn’t it pretty?

IMG_1952.jpg

Allie, Mary Ann (Millermouseketeers) , and Christy (AKA INC, AKA Dave’s better half)

IMG_1953.jpg

Brandy and Anna cuteness!

IMG_1957.jpg

Yapping… don’t my Georgia chairs look nice under Dave’s red awning?

IMG_1959.jpg

More yapping

IMG_1960.jpg

Jason carved the ham, and Ray taste-tested.

IMG_1961.jpg

Dave (DaveInTN), me, and Shaun (Clark W Griswold)

IMG_1963.jpg

Are you ready for some food? One thing is for sure; you will never go hungry at a Fiend event.

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

The carved ham

IMG_1964.jpg

Chili

IMG_1969.jpg

Shaun, I’m not sure, Jason (MrGADawgFan), and Tim

IMG_1966.jpg

The GB&MZ family stopped by

IMG_1967.jpg

The Green Death came out.

IMG_1970.jpg

It apparently made Jason crazy. (And yes, that nerd is drinking out of a Yeti cup next to his Yeti cooler.)

IMG_1971.jpg

So he let Anna drive him around on our cart.

IMG_1973.jpg

It was such a fun night. I enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones in person for the first time. If you can ever make it to a Fiend GG, do it!!! It doesn't matter if you've been on the site a week or since the beginning. All are welcome, and it's a blast. Just be ready to have a stomachache from laughing and eating so much.

I think that’s 30, but the night is not quite over. I talk another Fiend into a bit of craziness in the next update. 

Best update ever!!!

I saw the golf cart seats. It's barely noticable. Jason did a great job on them.

I was a bit worried about Z being around my DD but he was on his best behavior. Lol. Great pix of the two of them. He is such a great kid.

Dd and I ran over to the MK to get my DAS card and since we had a little time to kill before the GG we took a few pix.

For me I'm always a little nervous meeting people for the first time but I had met half of the fiends before and the nervousness went away in about 10 seconds. That's what fiends do oh so well. I don't think fiends know a stranger.

Thanks to the fiend kids for making my Gracie feel so welcome. When we got there Z, Stella,

And I believe the other sweet girl there was Brandy's daughter. They came up to Gracie and asked her to play Olaf Trouble. I love how the fiend kids instantly became friends and played with each other the whole night.

It was so nice seeing old fiends and meeting new ones.

I wasn't taste-testing the ham. I was eating as much as I could. It was stinkin awesome! And so was the rest of the food. I thnk my DD ate her body weight in BBQ Little Smokies.

Oh boy! Green Death!

Some of you may have tried it and some of you have only heard of this biers side effects. Well let me tell they stories are true.

Luckily I was driving (or would have drank a lot more of it) so DIT was kind enough get me cup and I shared it with 3 other fiends. But that was enough. About 5 minutes after drinking it I was telling a story and right in the middle of my story I forgot what I was talking about. The Green Death got me. But I really enjoyed it. It's a good bier. Thanks DIT.

Hey Jason worked hard in that ham. Let him enjoy his yeti.

Anna hugs! Yes a Anna hug is all it's cracked up to be. She is an absolute sweety Just like her mom and the rest of the DIT girls I had the pleasure of meeting.

Thanks DIT and INC for your hospitality. What an awesome night.

For some reason I forgot I had a camera in my hand, I guess I was to busy talking. Lol.

But I did get one or two pix. Here's one I took towards the end of the GG.

That's DIT and INC's two youngest daughters Stella and Anna. And my DD Gracie. My DD loved playing with those two, and Z all night.

imagejpg1_zps05749ff1.jpg

Thanks Jason..Katman for fixing the pix