Are you suppose to drain your water heater, after every trip?  I drained ours to winterwize... but did not when we unhooked to leave a campsite.  I would run the lines empty, after Tom unhooked the camper from the water (opened both hot/cold lines to do this), but I didn't touch the water heater until we put her away for the season.  I ask as another RV owner that we ran into, mentioned that he did this... made me wonder if we were missing that step?

I do it only because we were at a place that must of had a lot of sulphur in the water. After a month of sitting when I ran it on our next trip, it stunk the whole time. I even tried runnig it a while and it didn't help. I ended up draining and flushing a few times. Now I just drain it after I get home, not that hard and takes 10 minutes.

Best Regards,

Norm

Thanks for the feedback Fiends.

I do it only because we were at a place that must of had a lot of sulphur in the water. After a month of sitting when I ran it on our next trip, it stunk the whole time. I even tried runnig it a while and it didn't help. I ended up draining and flushing a few times. Now I just drain it after I get home, not that hard and takes 10 minutes.

Best Regards,

Norm

I think this is why that gentleman did it... he had a bad experience with sulfur.  I wonder if you used a water purifier, if that would prevent any issues.

Best Regards,

Norm

I've had the same experience, so I have gotten into the habit of draining it after every trip.  Not necessary, but I don't want that awful smell again.  LOL.  

You also have to watch whether the CG Is on well or city water. Well water is not usually chloronated so the water can go sour if left in the lines and WH.

Maybe that is what happened to me.  However, I have found a simple (albeit expensive) solution so this never happens again.  I fill my fresh water tank with scotch.  I find it never goes bad.  Makes showering more interesting.  And brushing teeth?  It kills germs, freshens breath, and those canker sores will never hurt again.  

Hey, we made it to 10 posts.  Hijacking was completely within the bounds of the rulebook.  

I leave mine filled if I have filled it from a chlorinated water supply and we are going to be using the trailer within the next couple of weeks. If I have filled from a well, even ours, or the trailer will be sitting more than a couple of weeks I drain it. The amount of work to drain the heater it isn't that much and at 6 gallons it doesn't take that long to refill.

I might look into the scotch thing  though or maybe substitute a good bourbon.

Thanks for the feedback Fiends.

I think this is why that gentleman did it... he had a bad experience with sulfur.  I wonder if you used a water purifier, if that would prevent any issues.

I do use a water filter, but I think it would still do it with a purifier. Like I said it is a simple job and takes 10 minutes if you aren't sure.

Maybe that is what happened to me.  However, I have found a simple (albeit expensive) solution so this never happens again.  I fill my fresh water tank with scotch.  I find it never goes bad.  Makes showering more interesting.  And brushing teeth?  It kills germs, freshens breath, and those canker sores will never hurt again.  

Hey, we made it to 10 posts.  Hijacking was completely within the bounds of the rulebook.  

My brother's friend actually had this happen to them. They rented an RV from a local place and they filled the tank with water and when they went use it, it had a funny taste and didn't look right. Evidently what happend was that the people who rented before them used it for a Jimmy Buffett concert and filled the tank with some concoction of alcohol and juices and they never cleaned it out.

Best Regards,

Norm

My brother's friend actually had this happen to them. They rented an RV from a local place and they filled the tank with water and when they went use it, it had a funny taste and didn't look right. Evidently what happend was that the people who rented before them used it for a Jimmy Buffett concert and filled the tank with some concoction of alcohol and juices and they never cleaned it out.

Best Regards,

Norm

Ew?   :facepalm:

:rofl2:

We typically only drain our water heater when we're winterizing.

Gwen, I was Google Street viewing that cracker barrel off if the I-26 ramp in Orangburg you suggested as a stop a few weeks back, and there is a seriously sweet MH parked in the lot. Is it yours by chance? If not its worth everyone here a look!

I read somewhere that the sulfur taste and smell can come from a reaction occuring on the heating element in the hot water tank. I typically shock the system in the spring when we take it out of storage with the small amount of bleach recommended by the manufacturer, followed by lots of flushing with town water. If there is still a slight odor or taste, I will use vinegar mixed in the water.

I read somewhere that the sulfur taste and smell can come from a reaction occuring on the heating element in the hot water tank. I typically shock the system in the spring when we take it out of storage with the small amount of bleach recommended by the manufacturer, followed by lots of flushing with town water. If there is still a slight odor or taste, I will use vinegar mixed in the water.

Would you mind explaining shocking the system again....  I'm not quite getting it.

The only reason to flush your hot water heater is if your water has a taste or smell you don't like.  You might want to drain it if you are not going to be using it for months on end but it is not necessary.  A better way to flush your hot water heater is to get big jugs of white vinegar from Costco and bring it into your hot water heater through your winterizing drain.  There is an instructional video of this on you tube. When I did this I found that it rinsed out a lot of calcium deposits.

Thank you.  But the pink stuff that's used to winterize... how do you flush that out??   Maybe I should just look for a video on youtube  :D

I NEVER put the winterizing fluid in my hot water heater. I use the bypass valves when witnerizing so the anti-freeze does not enter the HW heater. I only drain mine at the end of the season, this is why I use a filter on my inlet water to hep prevent any sediment or foul odor/taste in the TT water.

Hmm... see, these are things that I don't know.  We just sold the our hybrid and when I winterized it (there was not a bypass or "winterizing" valve) and purchased a kit from Camco, drained all the lines (and water heater) and then pumped the pink stuff through the same connection you use for the city water line.  I'm guessing that this put the goo in the water heater??  With the new camper, I'll make sure to research a bypass or winterizing valve.

I never put the pink stuff in my water lines, only down the drains, I use my air compressor to blow out the water lines. Have done it this way for 30+ years now without a problem. Oh and we never drain the water heater all season as we use it a lot.