• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most any of the Kentucky State Resort Parks.  There are several, and we have had good experiences at all of them we have visited.  They all have campgrounds as well as lodges which have rooms and good

The Fort   Fort Desoto   St Pete FL

Hoping we're not limiting to east coast/midwest.  FAR west..Arizona...just in case anyone ever takes it into their head to ramble far afield...Kartchner Caverns State Park in Benson, AZ.  Also, Dead H

Posted Images

Glad to hear Mohican has a pool (kids will love it). I haven't been there in probably 25 years. Only thing I remember is the camp store.

I will PM you so we don't hijack this thread. Had some questions for you on other parks.

Thanks for getting in touch. Not many folks know where in the heck Pickerington is! ;)

Had to comment about you remembering the camp store at Mohican... Yah... I remember it really well! That's where I fell flat on may face last year 50 minutes into our 5 day stay... Fell over the bike rack. Too focused on my grape slushy I guess... Trip to the ER in Ashland, broken nose (I face plant like a boss!) stitches, no canoeing or "nature water" for me because it was considered an open fracture... Good pain meds... I can't get within 50 feet of a bike rack now without my kids sounding the "alarm" - LOL! At least they are watching out for their clumsy ole dad... Ok, hijack over with my broken nose story. Back to you favorite campgrounds, or the next hijack. :)

My go to is Red Top Mountain State park north of Atlanta. Nice park, but most importantly has awesome hiking trails for me and Gandalf.

I've heard that one is nice, but is it also the one difficult for RVs to reach? Our friends with a PUP stay there often. 

I've heard that one is nice, but is it also the one difficult for RVs to reach? Our friends with a PUP stay there often.

They actually have about 10 pull throughs for larger rigs - so pretty easy. It is only about 5 miles off of I75, and good roads all the way (except for a bridge that is a little narrow, but no big problem). I will admit that most of the other sites are a bit difficult to back in a larger RV.

There are no full hookup sites, by the way.

Hoping we're not limiting to east coast/midwest.  FAR west..Arizona...just in case anyone ever takes it into their head to ramble far afield...Kartchner Caverns State Park in Benson, AZ.  Also, Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, AZ.  Kartchner has the caverns of course...and Dead Horse does not have a dead horse..luckily.  But there is water..3 lagoons (ponds by midwest standards).  No motors but there is fishing.  Yes, people do fish in Arizona!  There is a fish cleaning station, day use areas with pavilions and three campground loops with water and electric and decent comfort stations.  Some sites have views of Jerome (clinging to the side of Cleopatra Hill) and Mingus Mountain.  Many hiking trails and mountain bike trails.  Dead Horse is at 3400 feet.  We were there about two weeks ago getting the kinks out of our new Jayco.

Anchor Down RV Resort Dandridge TN just outside of Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN...

You know they offer group discount rates for GG and such......Just sayin'

That would be awesome. But I couldn't go down and not stay at Elkmont. It would be like cheating on the wife. Been going there for years. I know it is primitive camping but it is really peaceful and there is something about staying up there I can get away from.

Hoping we're not limiting to east coast/midwest. 

Absolutely not!  There are Fiends in all the corners of the country at this point, and I believe a few in other places as well.  Love to hear from Fiends all over!  I've still got my super-epic road trip to plan.  :)

We are only a few months into owning our camper but so far

Yes list

Stone Mountain - our go to, close, fun for kids and easy

Bald Ridge, Cumming GA (thanks Nacole and Mike)

Campfire Lodgings, Asheville NC 

OK LIst

Pine Mountain - not bad, just not worth the drive for us

No list

Fort Yargo, sadly only 10 mins from our house but no assigned spots, very tight

Absolutely not!  There are Fiends in all the corners of the country at this point, and I believe a few in other places as well.  Love to hear from Fiends all over!  I've still got my super-epic road trip to plan.  :)

We have started talking about a summer long road trip for us in a few years will be tuning in for some notes. 

My wife and I took a 40 day road trip before kiddos, rented a convertible and hit the road just a start date and an approx end date, the rest was play it by ear. Best 10k miles of our lives to date. That was in hotels not a camper, cannot wait to repeat with a camper. . 

We have started talking about a summer long road trip for us in a few years will be tuning in for some notes. 

My wife and I took a 40 day road trip before kiddos, rented a convertible and hit the road just a start date and an approx end date, the rest was play it by ear. Best 10k miles of our lives to date. That was in hotels not a camper, cannot wait to repeat with a camper. . 

Fun stuff!!!   I'd love it, if we'd get the chance to do that someday as well.   A few months of nothing but "drive and see"  :)

Love that!

If I am talking about the current state I live in, it's obviously Fort Wilderness.

I grew up in Ohio though, so I was going to mention Mohican.  Glad to see several people have already brought it up.  I went to college in Ashland, so I went there a few times throughout that time.  Great place!

When I was growing up, we used to go camping in Chautauqua, NY quite a bit.  I think it was at the Chautauqua KOA (but my memory might be wrong).  We always enjoyed going there.

If I am talking about the current state I live in, it's obviously Fort Wilderness.

I grew up in Ohio though, so I was going to mention Mohican.  Glad to see several people have already brought it up.  I went to college in Ashland, so I went there a few times throughout that time.  Great place!

When I was growing up, we used to go camping in Chautauqua, NY quite a bit.  I think it was at the Chautauqua KOA (but my memory might be wrong).  We always enjoyed going there.

I grew up in Chautauqua County, and we camped a lot at Camp Chautauqua.  Used to be a ton of fun there!  Maybe we camped together!

In TN:

Pigeon Forge\Gatlinburg area - River Plantation for us. One of the least expensive parks in the area, nice size sites, friendly staff, good "base camp" while visiting touristy stuff or the National Park.

Crossville area: - Deer Run RV Resort - This is likely our absolute favorite campground, especially since the owner has started redoing the sites in the back of the campground. It helps that the owner is one of the best campground owners I have ever seen. In the last few years she has upgrades sites, added cable, installed wifi, added rental carts but has yet to increase her rates. 

In TN:

Crossville area: - Deer Run RV Resort - This is likely our absolute favorite campground, especially since the owner has started redoing the sites in the back of the campground. It helps that the owner is one of the best campground owners I have ever seen. In the last few years she has upgrades sites, added cable, installed wifi, added rental carts but has yet to increase her rates. 

I will also highly agree with Todd on this campground spent a week there this April for a rally and they are the most accommodating folks running a campground I have met.

Those are the best trips ever.  Did a totally unplanned 3 week motorcycle trip one summer.  All back roads, no plan at all.  Had a blast, but my wife pointed out that I had gone through every state North and West of Texas (we lived in Dallas at the time).  So the next year I went solo again to make sure I hit the rest of the states.  Made a plan.  Hit all the states....but it wasn't nearly as much fun as the unplanned trip the year before.

In Alabama, ours are De Soto State Park, and Honeycomb Campground (a TVA run campground). Monte Sano is decent if you're looking for somewhere close (in) to Huntsville. I haven't been in many many years but I have some fond memories of visiting Lakepoint Resort State Park in Eufaula as a kid as well.