More cart parking across from Pioneer hall(?)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starbucks, I bet it's a Starbucks......

It's the new Frozen Wilderness kiosk.    Selling everything Anna/Elsa dressed in coonskin hats and fringed jackets!

With a golf cart drive-through window?  As much as it pains me to say this....that would be a gold mine.  Especially if it switched over to a drive through beer window at 11 am.  

I got the chance to see this in person on this past Friday evening, June 12.

You can see that all of the wooded area behind the DVC kiosk is cleared out:

6%2013%2015%20183_zpsymzwhjvr.jpg

Now you can see the Settlement Trading Post while standing in front of Pioneer Hall:

6%2013%2015%20184_zpsjamackgf.jpg

Here's the new spacious parking area peeking between the DVC and the souvenir kiosks:

6%2013%2015%20185_zpsz6m1kgmz.jpg

Here's a look at the work from the other side:

6%2013%2015%20192_zpscfeq8dmf.jpg

You used to not be able to see Pioneer Hall clearly from here- there used to be some nice, mature trees and forest in the way:

6%2013%2015%20193_zpsu2bju8ht.jpg

I would say that they've more than doubled the parking area- and they also cut down all of the trees that were left there when the parking lot was first built:

6%2013%2015%20194_zps0ileggwb.jpg

6%2013%2015%20195_zpsa21gnzek.jpg

6%2013%2015%20196_zpsl8sojvnb.jpg

This is the view from behind the 100 loop, looking toward Pioneer Hall:

6%2013%2015%20204_zpsdhub0v5a.jpg

How is it that for 43 1/2 years that parking area has been adequate for the Fort, and it is just now that they have to rip out a bunch of the wilderness that was left for guests to enjoy to more than double it?

Idiots.

TCD

Wow it looks more than twice as big to me.  Wonder if they are going to start restricting carts from going down to the beach.  That's the only reason I can think of to need that much parking.

As far as I know, the permit to build the new dining pavilion behind the Settlement Trading Post was abandoned, but if they are going to go forward with that, the golf cart parking area to the north of the Settlement Trading Post, along the beach, would probably be closed during the construction, and maybe would be gone for good.  That would explain the need for increasing the size of this lot.  But, it is a lot less convenient to the marina.

TCD

As far as I know, the permit to build the new dining pavilion behind the Settlement Trading Post was abandoned, but if they are going to go forward with that, the golf cart parking area to the north of the Settlement Trading Post, along the beach, would probably be closed during the construction, and maybe would be gone for good.  That would explain the need for increasing the size of this lot.  But, it is a lot less convenient to the marina.

TCD

I was thinking more about the other end of the beach that a lot of people go to for the fire works and EWP.  You know the ones that like to do donuts in the sand.  Plus with the backyard bar b que and HDDR the area around Pioneer Hall and the road that leads to BYB gets pretty congested and I could see them stopping cart access to that area.  But I hope not.  I just don't see why they had to make the parking area so big. 

I was thinking more about the other end of the beach that a lot of people go to for the fire works and EWP.  You know the ones that like to do donuts in the sand.  Plus with the backyard bar b que and HDDR the area around Pioneer Hall and the road that leads to BYB gets pretty congested and I could see them stopping cart access to that area.  But I hope not.  I just don't see why they had to make the parking area so big. 

Oh.  I wasn't thinking about that, but you're right.  There are a lot of pedestrians who walk down that pathway for the Backyard BBQ.  I could see them blocking carts from going down there.  There really isn't any reason that carts need to go down that path (except for the fireworks and EWP).

TCD

Memorial Day weekend, we almost got ran into more than once by carts leaving the marina area after the beach party. 

People just back up out of their spaces full speed without checking to see if anyone is behind them.

Then it's always like demolition derby time seeing who can outrun who  to get to the cart path first and how dare these people trying to walk around the circle in front of the Settlement Store!

Memorial Day weekend, we almost got ran into more than once by carts leaving the marina area after the beach party. 

People just back up out of their spaces full speed without checking to see if anyone is behind them.

Then it's always like demolition derby time seeing who can outrun who  to get to the cart path first and how dare these people trying to walk around the circle in front of the Settlement Store!

Yep - I've seen this more than once.

We usually hang back and let things empty out.

I'll be curious to see how much the new expanded parking area alleviates the congestion in the parking area closer to the beach.

I'll be curious to see how much the new expanded parking area alleviates the congestion in the parking area closer to the beach.

I don't see it alleviating anything- that lot never filled up to begin with.

So, they made it bigger?  Why would anyone going to the marina or to watch fireworks park there?

I think that Memphis is on to something- maybe they're about to restrict some of the current parking areas.

TCD

I figured they'd be trying to "force" at least some people to park in the expanded area to try and clear out some of the mess over by the marina. 

Sometimes there are carts parked all over the place there - including stacked up in the grass. And as Mark said, it's a dangerous free-for-all with carts, bikes and pedestrians all trying to get out of a relatively tight space.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the clear out *all* the cart parking by the marina and force everyone to park here. Otherwise you're right - no sense parking that far away if you don't have to, and if they leave even a few spots open by the marina, you know people will still park all over the place to save themselves the walk.

You're right- they will have to "force" guests to park there.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that some change is about to be implemented.  The only reason that parking area would need to be expanded is if there will be more carts parking there, and the only reason anyone would park there other than to visit Pioneer Hall, Trail's End of Crockett's would be if they weren't allowed to park at the marina.

TCD

"How is it that for 43 1/2 years that parking area has been adequate for the Fort, and it is just now that they have to rip out a bunch of the wilderness that was left for guests to enjoy to more than double it?

Idiots.

TCD"

Thank you for the pictures - that mess is just plain sad - I can think of a lot stronger words than "Idiots" but I can't use them on a public page!!!

Well, at the rate they are moving I think you have quite awhile before the new area is completely finished. ;)

But it seems it would be pretty simple at that point to just install posts to block the way over to the marina when they do, and it would be a done deal. The cart path would basically dead end into that parking area, no more parking at the Marina. Unless that is there is another way to get over there that I have not seen?

Darn. That was my planned parking spot for watching the fireworks and EWP. I had used it when I ran up to beg for trails end to allow me to get some food when J dislocated her elbow on the play equipment at the pool. I got there just at closing/EWP ending and the park ranger told me to park there. I Ran up and the told the TE manager my sob story. Please I need some diner and DD is passed out from the anesthesia and surgery. My husband and I need to eat. Please. They graciously filled me a bag from the buffet. So long story longer. No one was parked at that little area but me. I was thinking a little bit of a walk would be better than getting stuck in that crazy cart mess.

Something else has to be up with this. I can't see them just deciding to do away with all that folige to double the size of a lot that never has more than 20 carts. I can see them doing away with the current parking by the marina and restricting carts to the path and that new parking area. The way a lot of people race around by the playground or back out of the marina parking, I can't believe some have not gotten hurt yet. If they close the marina paring, I don't think it's a big deal to walk an extra 50 yards or so. I read the backyard BBQ is open more nights this summer and add 2-3 shows of the hoop de do review, that puts a lot of people dodging carts especially the under age driver ones. M sure this new area looks like crap since its bare. I believe we will soon say goodbye to parking by the beach and sitting on the cart watching the water parade in the near future

... I can see them doing away with the current parking by the marina and restricting carts to the path and that new parking area. ...I don't think it's a big deal to walk an extra 50 yards or so. ... I believe we will soon say goodbye to parking by the beach and sitting on the cart watching the water parade in the near future

Agreed X3.

• 3 months later...

There was a bit of speculation that they'd close down the beach parking area... As far as I know that has not happened - yet. In anothe thread (or one of the trip reports) I read that the staff actually would *not* allow parking there on July 4 weekend... And indeed forced folks to park near the beach, even when they had arrived at the Settlement early and there was no real need...

So, I'm interested and a bit confused about the end game here, the reason they thought it was so needed.

My gut tells me it's either because they are planning to close the Marina area to carts, or, for some reason they expect a lot more cart traffic in the future for some reason I have no clue about.