Correct.

To one of his other points, I have heard from several people that the reason they didn't eat there was because they couldn't cancel their dining reservations elsewhere without a penalty and didn't want to take a chance of not being able to eat when they decided to. It's a weird limbo for that place without taking ADR's.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about pics and a blog post? https://letsplanwdw.com/2016/07/19/dining-review-jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen/

Well, it looks like the TCD gang gets to claim bragging rights as the first Fiends to dine in the new Skipper Canteen restaurant.   We went on Saturday, December 19th, just a bit after 4 pm.  We walke

We had dinner there last night (Monday) and the server we had indicated that as far as they all were aware there were no plans to take ADR's.  Apparently a number of the guests have indicate they real

9 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

To one of his other points, I have heard from several people that the reason they didn't eat there was because they couldn't cancel their dining reservations elsewhere without a penalty and didn't want to take a chance of not being able to eat when they decided to. It's a weird limbo for that place without taking ADR's.

It's a good point and I'm guessing this is having a significant part to play in this place being so empty.

Makes me wonder if it's intentional though, and they're still testing and figuring out what's going to work best here menu-wise, before they flip the ADR switch.

1) TCD is referencing my boyfriend.

2) It would probably help if they assured people they weren't going to take ADRs. Some people are probably afraid to cancel because the system could change any day.

3) I like the looks of the menu and hope it doesn't change too much.

It's also a slower time of year and they have drilled into everyone the need for ADRs. Especially in the parks unless there was a big sign out in front saying "no ADR needed" I'd probably walk on by thinking I would never get in.

I hope it works out and they keep it off the ADR list, if they had at least one sit down restaurant at each park for us nonplanners would be great!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just posted by WDW Magic...

Same-day reservations to be available at Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen for limited time later this month

9 minutes ago in "Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen"

Same-day reservations will be available at the Magic Kingdom's Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen later this month.

Reservations can be made at jungleskippercanteen.com or via 407-993-1933 from February 12 to 27 2016.

No word yet on when full reservations will be available. The restaurant is currently open daily for lunch and dinner on a walk-up basis.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/skipper-canteen/news/08feb2016-same-day-reservations-to-be-available-at-jungle-cruise-skipper-canteen-for-limited-time-later-this-month.htm

The Disney Parks Blog posted the official announcement of this today: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/02/same-day-dining-reservations-coming-to-jungle-skipper-canteen/

They added this line at the end of the post, confirming that it will only be offered on a temporary basis (I'm guessing because of President's Day and Princess Marathon crowds) :

Don’t be left in “De-Nile,” be sure to take advantage of the limited-time opportunity to be able to plan your adventure to the newest restaurant in Magic Kingdom Park!

TCD

Jeez. they sure are bungling the operation of this restaurant.

As noted, the Disney Parks Blog posted the announcement that they would be taking same-day reservations yesterday.  That announcement has not been met with much enthusiasm according to the comments thus far:

Christopher from CA on February 8th, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Excellent idea, now if we could just get all restaurants onto this system and FP+ to be day of only, then we can stop planning every single detail of our entire day.

Carolyn on February 8th, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Only interested if we can make advanced reservations like we do with other restaurants during WDW trips. We like having this planned ahead of time.

Michelle on February 8th, 2016 at 5:32 pm

This doesn’t solve the problem. I still will be charged a cancellation fee at another restaurant because it will already be “same day” before I have to cancel if something at Skipper Canteen is available. You can’t make us book all other ADRs in advance and yet leave a space open in our plans for this in the busiest park at Disney. We won’t be going.

Lynn from CT on February 8th, 2016 at 8:07 pm

What time does the phone line and/or website “open” for each day?

Jorge from FL on February 9th, 2016 at 9:39 am

I tried the phone number 407-933-1933 and it does not work. It says the number is not in service. Will it go in to service the first day, that is, Feb. 12th? Also, a what time each day can you first call in or make the reservation online?

Jennifer on February 9th, 2016 at 11:01 am

Hello, what is the process I should use if I would like to dine between March 5-10, 2016?
I keep checking the MDE app and no reservations are available, I wonder now that it may be that there are just none being accepted right now and Skipper Canteen is by walk up only? Desperately want to try the restaurant and not sure what my approach should be.

Jaime on February 9th, 2016 at 11:16 am

Same day isn’t good enough. As Michelle said, Disney makes us book ADRs 180 days in advance & then charges for cancellations. I’m not going to take a chance on not getting into a restaurant with a hungry family, or risk being charged a fee. Sorry.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/02/same-day-dining-reservations-coming-to-jungle-skipper-canteen/#comments

This is really odd and uncharacteristic with how Disney operates.  The only conclusion I can reach is that guest feedback has not been good, and they're contemplating major changes before opening up ADR's like all the other full service locations.

TCD

10 minutes ago, Beckers said:

What a mess they've created. Seriously add 2 plain things to the menu, and do ADR at 180 days out. Problem solved, restaurant filled, Disney pockets filled.

Agreed.

And, maybe there is something like this in the works already.

Or, maybe they are deliberately trying something new to see how it works.  Personally, it's great for someone who doesn't like to plan ahead.  But, all of the MDE stuff they've introduced forces guests to plan ahead, and the comments on the blog are pointing out the problem with trying to operate one restaurant differently from all the others.

TCD

I agree with the comments, if o had the dining plan, I wouldn't want to risk losing out on a table service by hoping I could get a table. Unless say your trip was Monday-Friday, and you were planning on going to MK Monday and then later in the week having double table service booked so that if on Monday you couldn't go, you wouldn't lose a TS because you booked say a sit down breakfast and dinner on Friday and if you could get to eat at Skipper Canteen you could cancel the extra meal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Welp, that didn't take long. Glad i got to go while it was still new.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/04/jungle-cruise-themed-skipper-canteen-restaurant-to-undergo-radical-menu-change/

Since the Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen restaurant opened at the Magic Kingdom last December, it has been a point of much controversy. Many applauded the diverse menu, a great departure from other eateries around the park. However, a lot of guests have taken a seat at the restaurant only to find a menu that might be a little scary to those less-familiar with cuisine from other regions. Maybe it’s just too much for such a popular theme park to serve such food? Probably not considering how many other establishments in the park serve fairly standard food offerings. Regardless, Disney will be changing the menu due to the demands of these unsatisfied guests.

Disney has not stated when the change will happen, but cast members at the restaurant have been informed that the changes are coming. The menu is expected to radically change, with almost all of the current offerings going away or moving to another restaurant at Walt Disney World (the head-on shrimp are moving to Tiffins at Animal Kingdom).

Sad, but not really a surprise. If it had been in any other park it probably would have gone over great.

Sounds like they had a lot of people go in expecting everyday food and not being interested in what was on the menu. To many complaints, I say that's bad planning on the complainers part. It's not like you can't find menus online. Then again maybe people were just not going because of the menu. It sounded good to me. But I've been know to eat some questionable things. Haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's too bad about the menu. We were looking forward to going there on our next trip. If the menu is going to be similar to others in the MK I see no reason to go anymore. I think Disney should have promoted the restaurant like the Blue Bayou is at Disneyland. When folks go there they don't expect the standard food you see but the higher end, more adult fair.

My opinion.. You may or may not agree...

Took a few friends and their daughters (12 & 4) there about a month ago. Nothing on the menu appealed to the girls except some weird mac & cheese. I do not remember what we ordered but it was all lousy except maybe the pot stickers were OK, but not a good value.. The server said she has had multiple complaints and could get us something off the menu for the restaurant next door (guess they share a kitchen). The girls would not even eat the mac & cheese and their mom tried it and would not either. We paid our check and went to Village Haus to fill up.

We left agreeing the menu would not last, by the way... We just walked up, lunch time, no wait... and the place was EMPTY...

2 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

Oh, definitely go if you have the chance, Mo. We really enjoyed the food when we were there.

I'm going to try!  :)

54 minutes ago, fotofx....Steve said:

My opinion.. You may or may not agree...

Took a few friends and their daughters (12 & 4) there about a month ago. Nothing on the menu appealed to the girls except some weird mac & cheese. I do not remember what we ordered but it was all lousy except maybe the pot stickers were OK, but not a good value.. The server said she has had multiple complaints and could get us something off the menu for the restaurant next door (guess they share a kitchen). The girls would not even eat the mac & cheese and their mom tried it and would not either. We paid our check and went to Village Haus to fill up.

We left agreeing the menu would not last, by the way... We just walked up, lunch time, no wait... and the place was EMPTY...

Your experience seems to be the majority.  I think it was a risk to try this menu out at Magic Kingdom, and it doesn't seem to have paid off.

Supposedly some items may find their way to other park restaurants, and Tiffin's at AK was mentioned.  That seems to make a lot more sense.  Epcot and AK both have much wider, more "adventurous" menus than MK and they seem to do well in those parks.

I just hope they don't flip completely the other way and put the same ol' same ol' on the menu instead.  It would be nice if they just scale back on the funky, but still offer up some different options than can be found in the rest of the park.

8 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I just hope they don't flip completely the other way and put the same ol' same ol' on the menu instead.  It would be nice if they just scale back on the funky, but still offer up some different options than can be found in the rest of the park.

I agree, I was hoping for something a bit upscale but was very disappointed. Part of the problem is that with the current system you really have to plan everything out way in advance. I live in South Florida so it is only a few hours up to the fort. I really used to enjoy just being able to pop up when I have time. Now you have to make Fort and Dining reservations way in advance. Other then quick service, hard sometimes to get in. This being available and a brand new restaurant to boot seemed too good to be true. It was..

Really sorry they are going to change the menu, we were there when it first opened and thought the food was excellent and a great change.  We appreciated getting something different from the regular "Disney" version of food that's usually lacking flavour/diversity/interest (I'm trying to be nice here as opposed to the language I'd like to use).

Just goes to reinforce what my hubby says "if we like it Disney gets rid of it"!!!  We must be a jinx;)

dang!!!

1 hour ago, lightbikes said:

Really sorry they are going to change the menu, we were there when it first opened and thought the food was excellent and a great change.  We appreciated getting something different from the regular "Disney" version of food that's usually lacking flavour/diversity/interest (I'm trying to be nice here as opposed to the language I'd like to use).

Just goes to reinforce what my hubby says "if we like it Disney gets rid of it"!!!  We must be a jinx;)

dang!!!

Hah!  Sounds like my one daughter and TV shows.

If she likes it, it's doomed and will be canceled!