Last season for the Osbourne Lights

I'm glad we got to see them the first night of the "sneak peek". Seemed a little different this year but could have been the way we came in and the crowd was manageable.

I'm not sure we will go back to see them when we are there in December. Going to see them was a tradition we had with my grandma who passed 2 years ago and I think seeing them with the less crowd this year was the perfect end to that tradition. I would rather remember them like that and the years we saw them with her then have the last memories of them be fighting a crowd.

It seems like over the past few years they have been trying to "speed" things up to keep people moving.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Video posted online by Orlando Attractions Magazine of the final song and goodbye...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDeJ4d0E6S8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks. I didn't realize that the Streets of America are that long. So give me the entire area from Mouse gear to Canada to Mexico. I'll turn it into the biggest light show WDW has ever seen. Lol.

Ok, this is really late, and I apologize, but we found the cat up above the purple canopy that you can walk through on December 12:  

I have a theory: this is the last year for "Osborne" lights so that they can rebrand the experience since they have to move it anyhow. And when rebranding they can change elements that people associate with the Osborne display, things they'd just as soon not have to explain or justify, like the host of angels, and the Nativity, for example. I'm betting in the next year or two there will be a new dancing light show, probably on Sunset Blvd, with no religious symbolism whatsoever.

I see where you are coming from Derek and I'd honestly rather remember it with happy memories than risk going back and it not being as nice. We just wanted to get out, I later read that waiting outside until the first round of dancing was done is a better idea, because everyone packs in there and then doesn't move until they watch the first set.

I see where you are coming from Derek and I'd honestly rather remember it with happy memories than risk going back and it not being as nice. We just wanted to get out, I later read that waiting outside until the first round of dancing was done is a better idea, because everyone packs in there and then doesn't move until they watch the first set.

They had one song, where the lights "danced".  According to the CM... she said that the lights were on a 3 song rotation and it just repeated itself.  The last time we went (I think that was in 2012) the lights all turned off and then they came back on and danced to 3 or 4 songs, then the lights stayed solid/on.  I think they repeated that three or four times during the evening.  This time, I felt like there were more lights, but we really preferred the original (for us) set-up.  Plus... they took out our favorite song, Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Carol of the Bells.  

Yes, the crowds were a mess. 

We saw them during the preview time and they danced pretty often - more often than I remember in the past.  There were at least a couple of new songs since we saw them last year, but we also heard the Trans-Siberian Orchestra song.

We were also fortunate that, while busy, it wasn't super crazy that night. We got there about 20 minutes before they turned the lights on and were about halfway up the street, close enough to see Goofy come out to throw the switch. You could actually wander around without bumping into people or having to play Twister.

Ah, the TSO - Christmas Eve Sarejevo song reminds me of the first year I tried "dancing lights" at my house.  I think it was 2008 or 2009

https://vimeo.com/8465745

My display has improved so much, lol....

Great job... we LOVE that song!

We saw them during the preview time and they danced pretty often - more often than I remember in the past.  There were at least a couple of new songs since we saw them last year, but we also heard the Trans-Siberian Orchestra song.

We were also fortunate that, while busy, it wasn't super crazy that night. We got there about 20 minutes before they turned the lights on and were about halfway up the street, close enough to see Goofy come out to throw the switch. You could actually wander around without bumping into people or having to play Twister.

Interesting... they must have changed things from the time you saw it, to the time we saw it.  When we were were there, they pushed all the people (thousands of us) to one of the of the street and then everyone (for the most part) simply stopped and stood in the middle of lights and masses of people.  No TSO, only one song danced and it was on a loop (so only 3 or 4 songs).  Oh well.  Is what it is... just wasn't great for us.

And that, in a nutshell, is Disney these days.  

That was our feeling...coming home from this last trip.  For the past 8 years or so, we've made a trip to WDW during October because the crowds are typically lighter.  This year (we were there Oct 29th - Nov 15th) it was crazy busy everywhere we went.  We expected it for the weekend of halloween and yes, it was crazy and yes, it did calm down some after that weekend but still...people, people, everywhere.  I kept asking Tom, "why are all these people here??".   We ate at TE 3x and each time... it was busy with the lower dining area open. Strange.  We talked with our neighbors, who had arrived at the Fort the end of September, and they said that all of October had been crazy busy.

We have reservations for Christmas and I really want to go as I love Christmas lights and some of the folks at the Fort can do such a nice job... but the crowds.  I don't know.  If I knew that the Fort would be a "safe haven", without the crazy and loud/rude (mostly) locals... I would feel more confident about it.  I'd be fine with only a few hours at the parks, for the entire week... but I know that the Fort will be packed and probably crazy, so I don't know...

I guess we just lucked out most of the Halloween weekend.

We were in the 2000 loop where we had a very bad experience the last time they placed us there, but this time it was fairly quiet.

I think there was only 1 or 2 golf cart idiots going thru, and that was just once.

Maybe people were being a little more careful because of the kids, but I did see a post on the other FB site that they had a lot of issues with pre teens, teens and drunks in carts speeding, and playing inappropriate music for all to hear.

We went to MK twice, it was crowded but manageable, the same with HS.

We hit Osborne the first sneak night, and there were a lot of people, but you could walk around without squeezing thru people, and they just let you mill around.

Goofy Santa was about a 20-30 minute wait.

I don't think since we renewed our passes this past January that the Parks haven't been crowded.  Of course some days were way worse than others.

I think Osborne will be getting more crowded as Christmas approaches since every media outlet is making a major deal about it being the last year and whipping the viewers into a frenzy.

Almost forgot.  Here's the direct link to the video of the lighting ceremony that night that I put up on the FortFiends.net FB page.

You should be able to view it even if you don't have a FB account.

https://www.facebook.com/198188510195897/videos/vb.198188510195897/1161081303906608/?type=2&theater

Anyone watch the live stream last night?

It must've been after the park closed and was just for the people that won the contest.

Looked to be about 75-100 people there.

It lasted 15 minutes, and was a 4 song set.

Disney Blog posted this today, the song playlists.

Dancing Lights – Set #1
“Mad Russian”
“What’s This”
“Winter Wonderland”
“Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”

Dancing Lights – Set #2
“Sarajevo”
“Feliz Navidad”
“Jingle Bells”
“March of the Wooden Soldiers”
“Christmas is Starting Now”
“I’m Gettin’ Nothin’ for Christmas”

As a reminder, the finale season of Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights can be enjoyed at Disney’s Hollywood Studios through January 3, 2016.

They are having another live stream 12/6 of the Mickey Christmas Party Parade then fireworks.

Those are better than mine, I forgot my camera and just used my phone.

Good job

Thanks!  Those were actually taken with my phone, a Samsung Note 4.  I'm really surprised at the quality of the photos it takes.  But only when the light is good.  It takes lousy photos in low light, even with flash.

The Black Cat was in a really easy spot the night I visited.  Supposedly they move it around, though:

11%208%2015%20232_zpswysv7dib.jpg

TCD

That's where it was when we were there.

I thinks that's where it was on 11/1.

Is Tink and the #20 above that wall of blue lights?

Yes!  I tried to get a photo of that too, but couldn't get a decent one.

Thanks!  Those were actually taken with my phone, a Samsung Note 4.  I'm really surprised at the quality of the photos it takes.  But only when the light is good.  It takes lousy photos in low light, even with flash.

That's where it was when we were there.

Yes!  I tried to get a photo of that too, but couldn't get a decent one.

Well they really improved the camera quality of the Note 4 over the Note 3 that I have!

Tink and the 20 was just a blurry mess when I took the picture.