• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Antennas are being installed and wired. They are different from most, antennas on top and bottom.

Here's a picture of the WiFi equipment being installed on site 1422 a few minutes ago. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They've had Wi Fi in the cabins and at the Meadow for a long time! So yup, they have Wi Fi and met their Monday deadline!

Posted Images

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

Most likely they are running off of the cable network which has the ability to provide phantom power or these are acting as wireless bridges (i.e. entirely wireless network) and getting their power the traditional way from the campground power system. 

Which is probably what they are doing since the cable network is already in place and they need to keep the Internet signal there for the cabin modems.

9 hours ago, keith_h said:

I doubt they are running these off of an Ethernet as they would have to install one. Most likely they are running off of the cable network which has the ability to provide phantom power or these are acting as wireless bridges (i.e. entirely wireless network) and getting their power the traditional way from the campground power system. 

It will be interesting to find out how they are accomplishing this.  I don't see how they can use that many repeaters because, somewhere along the line there would be too much bandwidth loss.  It appears that some of those would have to be bridges as it would seem that they would have to feed that system from more than one point.  It's possible that they might use the existing cable and feed the AP's. 

Well, it's fun to speculate anyway, hope it works good that's the main thing.

5 hours ago, southernview -- Ray said:

It will be interesting to find out how they are accomplishing this.  I don't see how they can use that many repeaters because, somewhere along the line there would be too much bandwidth loss.  It appears that some of those would have to be bridges as it would seem that they would have to feed that system from more than one point.  It's possible that they might use the existing cable and feed the AP's. 

Well, it's fun to speculate anyway, hope it works good that's the main thing.

I agree without knowing the topography we really can't make more than a guess as to how things are laid out. I haven't been to the Fort on their previous unsuccessful attempts to implement WiFi but from what little bit I've seen it appears they are trying to get it right this time around and likely will be successful. 

This past Thursday, the 500 loop had a planned outage for cable service. They techs were hooking up equipment for the WiFi in the loop and were making the connections. They were not talkative about what they were doing. I did see that each box on top of the poles connects to the cable service at an adjoining site.

54 minutes ago, Specularius said:

This past Thursday, the 500 loop had a planned outage for cable service. They techs were hooking up equipment for the WiFi in the loop and were making the connections. They were not talkative about what they were doing. I did see that each box on top of the poles connects to the cable service at an adjoining site.

Thanks for the update, Jody!

There was an earlier comment about WiFi being ready in February but for the CM's to tell guests March. Sounds like they are going to make at least the March date if not the February target.

Hopefully, but remember the original start was scheduled for November so they still have plenty of time to get it done by then! Haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Hopefully, but remember the original start was scheduled for November so they still have plenty of time to get it done by then! Haha

Are you saying that Disney is spending money updating an amenity at the Fort, doing it the right way, AND they are ahead of schedule?

Mind Blown   ;)

Seriously, at the risk of saying something positive about the Fort circa 2016, good job Disney   8)

UPDATE: Just talked to.the installers. I did miss a few poles, they installed 59 access points, I only counted 42.

Also they are saying "if" all goes as planned it should be active in 2 weeks or less.  

21 hours ago, bhall said:

Any concrete word yet if there is a phase out of the cable modems?

I haven't heard boo yet.

11 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

UPDATE: Just talked to.the installers. I did miss a few poles, they installed 59 access points, I only counted 42.

Also they are saying "if" all goes as planned it should be active in 2 weeks or less.  

Thanks Dave!

16 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I hope they keep them as well. It will be nice having wifi throughout the Fort but I do like having my own locked connection around the trailer.

+1 

I have a wireless access point that lives in the camper. It's nice to have my own secure wifi.

• 2 weeks later...

17 hours ago, FlyingReese said:
Any other up dates we leave in 3 days just wondering if I should pack the router.

No wifi in the 800 loop as of today. There's a very distant "Disney Guest Public Wifi" network that my WifiRanger sees (but my devices don't), but I haven't tried to use it.

Pack your router.