2 year old boy grabbed and taken by gator at Grand Floridian

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Wahler issued a statement just a short while ago saying “we are conducting a swift and thorough review of all of our processes and protocols. This includes the number, placement and wording of our signage and warnings.”

WDW News Today is making the assumption that this means the beaches will reopen, but there has been no official information that addresses this yet.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/update-walt-disney-world-beaches-will-return-with-enhanced-signage/

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As much as it hurts, and brings up very bad memories, this story is stacking up to be very true. The father has wounds from wrestling with the gator to try and rescue his son. This family needs lots o

I am the first to point the finger at the Disney corporation when it does something wrong, but I don't think it's fair to point the finger here. Look at what Disney did when the thought there was

Too many people blame the parents.  It was a horrific accident and I grieve for them.  But, I don;t blame them.  I grew up in Florida.  I understand alligators are everywhere but never thought about i

Posted Images

5 hours ago, AuburnJen said:

This is not a usual occurrence I am sure if you are not from the southern states and not near a body of water.  But, if you come to the southern states, it is something you need to know.  If you are near the edge of a body of water during sunrise, sunset, or at night, you had better know your surroundings or if you don't, you don't need to be there.

Good point. While Florida is known for gators I don't think a lot of folks are aware that the alligators natural range is up through the North Carolina Coastal Plain to near the Virginia border. We regularly camp at a state park that has a decent population of alligators in the old millpond. The only developed areas are near the office/canoe rental area and a canoe/kayak launch near the dam. The gators here tend to avoid these areas but are common in the back portions of the pond. Due to this some of the hiking trails that go along the back areas I would never go on between dusk and sunrise. I have an aunt and uncle who used to live in New Bern off a side creek of the Trent River and you could occasionally see gators sunning there along some of the undeveloped swampy areas. I also suspect they came around the house after pulling up a crab pot that had been mangled and the bait gone.   

I grew up in Florida abs have swam in rivers, creeks, ponds and lakes. I have camped on sand bars on the river even after riding in the boat and shining the gators lying on the sand bars. I have seen kids playing in the water at the Disney beaches and thought parents were crazy for letting their kids in the water because of the bacteria, but I never stopped to think a gator night get one of them. Personally, I think a no swimming sign was too vague, even to warn about bacteria. Beware of gators would keep parents from letting their kids in the water I bet. My heart aches for this family. It could have happened to me or my child many times over and I'm a good mother who knows gators are everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I tend to agree. Sad, terrible, awful things happen, and while I understand the reaction of wanting someone to blame, sometimes there is no one person or thing to point the finger at.

Yes, but you know as well as I do that there are a herd of lawyers ringing that cell phone of that family.  Everyone wants a piece of the pie that Disney is going to give them.  Education is the key for everyone.  There is no way FWC and Disney can control a gator population in Florida, no matter how hard they try.  People need to educate themselves and follow signage.  I am not blaming anyone and this is a horrible accident and a family has lost their little boy.  However, it does not need to happen again because of someone not paying attention.

My heart is breaking for the family. How do you go home without him? How do you go on, you are going to relive the horror forever.. I don't know if I could do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My heart hurts for them. I continue to lift the family in prayer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

Yes, but you know as well as I do that there are a herd of lawyers ringing that cell phone of that family. 

Oh I don't doubt that for a second. 

52 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

...it does not need to happen again ...

And hopefully whatever happens next, that will be the good that comes out of this - so that no family will ever have to go through this again.

Too many people blame the parents.  It was a horrific accident and I grieve for them.  But, I don;t blame them.  I grew up in Florida.  I understand alligators are everywhere but never thought about it in the closed world we all call Disney.  I can remember walking my dog on the canal walk behind the 300 loop when she wanted to swim, and I let her......

Here is a quote from a good article that those who blame the parents should read:  An Open Letter To Perfect Parents: Put Down Your Pitchforks

To the mother and father who went for a walk on vacation for the last time with their little boy yesterday, I am deeply sorry that you had to experience the worst kind of tragedy possible, an accident. I grieve with you. Your baby was my baby. Your son was my son. I have nothing but love for you, love to help you get though the pain yesterday, today, and for what is gonna seem like a thousand tomorrows. I wrap my thoughts and prayers around your aching heart and soul. May the God of this universe in some miraculous way bring peace to you and your family.

13 hours ago, AuburnJen said:

The adults can when they are are protecting territory.  Yes, you were being warned.  Most of the time I listen for the babies to know where to stay away from because when you hear the adults, it is not a good sign and you are in danger.  You had a guardian angel looking out for you that day.

Holy crap....while walking down the middle of the macadam in the loop.  Most of the time I have really bad luck (it's famous among my friends) but every once in awhile something comes along to balance it out in a weird way..

14 hours ago, tim5055 said:

Too many people blame the parents.  It was a horrific accident and I grieve for them.  But, I don;t blame them.  I grew up in Florida.  I understand alligators are everywhere but never thought about it in the closed world we all call Disney.  I can remember walking my dog on the canal walk behind the 300 loop when she wanted to swim, and I let her......

Here is a quote from a good article that those who blame the parents should read:  An Open Letter To Perfect Parents: Put Down Your Pitchforks

Thanks for sharing that article, it's very good. 

16 hours ago, tim5055 said:

Some of the things I have been reading on the internet are making my toenails curl.  I am glad that this community is a loving one and those people are not here.  Unfortunately, I have to do my research on those places.  We are all guilty of being in the vacation euphoria.  Hopefully this will keep us a bit more grounded, however it will never bring back their little boy.

10 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

Some of the things I have been reading on the internet are making my toenails curl. 

I've had to make a conscious effort to stop reading it. There's too much ugliness in the world already, and especially lately, without the opinion of every "perfect" person with a keyboard and a chip on their shoulder  thrown into the mix. 

I can't imagine that if most people were standing in front of this family, they would never dream of saying the incredibly judgemental, harsh and sometimes just completely vile things they post on the internet. And if they would... then we all need to be praying for those dark souls as well.

But then I hope and pray that so much of the ugliness that I see online is just "keyboard confidence" and not what's actually in people's hearts.  My philosophy - if you wouldn't say it to the person's face, step away from the keyboard...

52 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I've had to make a conscious effort to stop reading it. There's too much ugliness in the world already, and especially lately, without the opinion of every "perfect" person with a keyboard and a chip on their shoulder  thrown into the mix. 

I can't imagine that if most people were standing in front of this family, they would never dream of saying the incredibly judgemental, harsh and sometimes just completely vile things they post on the internet. And if they would... then we all need to be praying for those dark souls as well.

But then I hope and pray that so much of the ugliness that I see online is just "keyboard confidence" and not what's actually in people's hearts.  My philosophy - if you wouldn't say it to the person's face, step away from the keyboard...

I have tried to stop even starting to read comments about anything.  Because it doesn't take long before someone has something very hateful to say about whatever, even if it's not about the original post.   So many mean, unhappy people in this world, makes me sad.

27 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I have tried to stop even starting to read comments about anything.  Because it doesn't take long before someone has something very hateful to say about whatever, even if it's not about the original post.   So many mean, unhappy people in this world, makes me sad.

Agreed. 

I truly would love to know if some of these people are really that awful in real life, or if it's just the anonymity of the keyboard that somehow brings out the worst in people?

Not to make light of the situation, but have you seen the stories coming out now....We saw a 10 foot alligator....CM's called them pets and they were 12 feet long....etc etc

These alligators are getting bigger and bigger every story so people can get their 10 seconds of fame. Fricking ridiculous, I am so tired of the media.

Best Regards,

Norm

5 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Not to make light of the situation, but have you seen the stories coming out now....We saw a 10 foot alligator....CM's called them pets and they were 12 feet long....etc etc

These alligators are getting bigger and bigger every story so people can get their 10 seconds of fame. Fricking ridiculous, I am so tired of the media.

Best Regards,

Norm

The kid/now adult that got attacked at the Fort contacted the media about his encounter.

I don't think he was trying to do it to get fame, just trying to let people know there was a previous attack back in 86 and to set the record straight that this was not the first gator attack at WDW.

The media didn't do their homework in a rush to get this story out.

40 minutes ago, Travisma said:

The kid/now adult that got attacked at the Fort contacted the media about his encounter.

I don't think he was trying to do it to get fame, just trying to let people know there was a previous attack back in 86 and to set the record straight that this was not the first gator attack at WDW.

The media didn't do their homework in a rush to get this story out.

I did see that and I have no problem with that story, they are showing up everywhere, even the local paper had a family outside of Philly who saw one once.

23 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

I did see that and I have no problem with that story, they are showing up everywhere, even the local paper had a family outside of Philly who saw one once.

I know, the FB posts about "OMG, here's a picture of my little (insert name here) taken two years ago in the same spot" or "My darling playing in the sand at (insert hotel here).  He/she could've been snatched !".  Kid is 30 feet from the waters edge close to the grass/sidewalk.  A human predator might've snatched them from that location easier than an animal.

This was a tragic, tragic accident and the court battle will go on for a long time.  I don't think Disney will be able to do a non disclosure settlement in this case, way too much media attention.

I think what will hurt Disney was the previous attack, their knowledge that dangerous wildlife resides in and near the lake, and that parts of the property (someone posted a sign from SOG) has signs warning about alligators.

But I'm not a lawyer so who knows what their liability will be in the long run.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I think what will hurt Disney was the previous attack, their knowledge that dangerous wildlife resides in and near the lake, and that parts of the property (someone posted a sign from SOG) has signs warning about alligators.

Yes it has happened before but it was 30 years ago so I don't think it has much relevance. What will matter more are people like the attorney in SoCal that says he warned Disney about an alligator being aggressive towards him and his son and the CM response was something along the lines of, "Oh they're just pets" and blew it off. If many more folks come out like that with pictures the lawyers will have a field day. While I don't deny Disney has some culpability and know nothing will ever replace the lost child it was an accident that could have occurred any place in Florida. I'd rather see the whole situation be resolved with some dignity and privacy for the child and family rather than the circus I'm afraid it will/has become. 

Here are some more pictures from Chip and Co's blog.   http://www.chipandco.com/fences-constructed-grand-floridan-242526/

Fence being constructed on the beach at Disney’s Grand Floridan Resort

According to Twitter user @TharinWhite Disney is working on fencing around the beaches at the Grand Floridan Resort after the alligator attack earlier this week.

The video shows crew assembling the fencing today, which doesn’t look bad at all. Thebeaches are closed while crews are working in the area. So far there is no word when the beaches will open again.

Fields marked with an * are required