This is NOT a Trip Report - May 27 - June 9, 2012

The Not Quite a Trip Report Trip Report - Lessons Learned

First, a little background.

A lot of friends from all over have been plotting and planning this WDW trip for almost a year. I am not a planner. I am not a lot of things that have to do with spreadsheets and lists. I am, however, someone that likes some serious pool/beach time, a good book and frosty adult beverages. I'm also someone who hoards vacation days and has to use a lot this year on top of comp time. So, I decided early on that I'd go down Memorial Day week alone and enjoy some "me" time before everyone got there. My last day of park tickets/AP was Tuesday, June 5. That would give me plenty of time to do what parks I wanted to do and finish it up with relaxing at the Fort.

There was never any question that this would all take place at the Fort for me. For them, it was a little of everything. All Stars, Caribbean Beach, Kidani Village, Wilderness Lodge, The Cabins, etc. No really, they were all spread out that way. It was a little insane to keep up with where everyone was and where we would meet, but more on that later.

So, the plan was I would leave on Memorial Day, Monday May 28, and drive down. A friend who isn't a camper but likes to think he is would join on Thursday (May 31) night of that week and we'd stay until Saturday, June 9 or maybe Sunday if we felt like it. That's right, almost a two week vacation at the Fort. It sounded too good to be true. **foreshadowing goes here**

So, that was the plan. As with all plans, it went right out of my sunroof 20 minutes into the trip driving down on Sunday, May 27.

Wait!

Stop!

He said he wasn't leaving until Monday, May 28.

You would be correct. I wasn't going to. Then, this little guy named Beryl formed off the Florida coast and insisted on moving inland. My friend Brian who was towing his TT down called on Saturday and said, "We're leaving now. The weather is going to get rough and I'm towing a sail. I suggest you do the same." Except I was at work. And would be until midnight. And I hadn't finished packing. Or finished laundry. And and and… Stress overload.

So, the travel plans went out the window. I'd already decided to do a value resort Monday-Thursday and then spend the rest of the trip at the Fort. I'd already not bought the camper I almost drove away from the dealership with, so I had to rent one. I had somehow bought a Water Park annual pass, so no lazy days. And that, Fiends, is how it all started. Complete and total chaos.

So, you want pictures, right? Well so do I, but there aren't a ton. Early on in this not-a-trip-report-trip I decided that there was zero, nada, nin, zilch of a chance I was writing a two week trip report. It would take me months and really, I don't do that much on vacation. I'm a lounger. You don't want to hear, "I woke up, I had coffee, I read the news, I took a shower, I had lunch, I napped" over and over. We agree on that, right? Good, because I'm not going to write an epic TCD-style report. I am going to offer up some highlights (HA! More like wet-lights. Keep reading), though.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got that right Aaron. I didn't fall for the "this is not a TR" title anyway. Other's have tried to trick me into reading TRs, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

TRs I don't read, but synopsis, I just might.

According to the Offical Fort Fiends Handbook, you are not allowed to abandon a Trip Report without fair warning. I realize you have claimed this isn't a trip report, so maybe you found a loophole the

So, I need to move this right along at a professional pace.

Day 1 - Sunday, May 27

Since I'd gotten home at about 1am the night before I didn't get a lot finished before I crashed. I had planned to wake up early and be out of the house by 10 to beat the storm. As previously noted, nothing I planned worked out. So, I made it out of the house around 1pm in a complete and total panic. I will say, I only forgot one minor thing in all of the chaos. One. I consider that a giant success.

The weather wasn't bad at all as I was leaving South Carolina, but it was really windy. Really really windy. You couldn't tell it, though. It was gorgeous out.

532725_612164800135_1855833481_n.jpg

I made good time because I didn't stop. At all. I finally had to stop for gas in South Georgia. I got something to eat there and kept driving. Somewhere right past Jacksonville the rain started. Luckily, the wind died down for a while and I wasn't that far from I-4 to head inland.

Somewhere about Brunswick, Ga it dawned on me that I was going to start my vacation a day early. Which meant I had no place to sleep. Yes, this is how I roll. So, on the iPad while pumping gas (yep, I was that guy) I hot-wired a hotel room. I ended up at this beauty. The Clermont Inn on 192 right off I-4. I've stayed there years ago. It's not horrible, but it barely deserves the 2-stars it has.

577501_612164700335_403712805_n.jpg538598_612164685365_715153920_n.jpg

I made record time to Orlando (for me) and pulled into my hotel about 7:30pm. I was going to go right to Epcot, but it was raining and I didn't want to bother with it. Plus, something wasn't sitting right with me. I let it go and hit the hot tub at the hotel then called it a night.

I'm taking Lou's stance and not reading this "not a trip report!" :P

Wish you would have made it in the week before...we could have hooked up for jello shots.

(and we didn't have any of the crappy weather that has plagued us for the last two weeks)

How completely awesome. You already had rain before I got there.

WooHoo!! Not my fault.

ROFL, but since I was packing the trailer for the trip, maybe it was. ;)

Can't wait to read more of your wet-lights from your none trip report report.

Thanks for reading along everyone! And now, on with the show.

Day 2 - Monday, May 28

Today was the day. It was the day that I moved over to Disney. I don't hate 192 at all. It is what it is, but there's nothing like a WDW resort. Even the smell when you walk in is nice.

The next four days are all going to be right here in this update. There isn't a lot to report. More on that later.

For some reason I woke up at 7am. Fiends, I sleep later than that on work days. I thought I may have had too much to drink the night before. After all, I really don't have drinks at home. I wrote it off. Played on the internet. Showered. Got together what I'd used overnight and had breakfast at the Chick Fil-A right across the street, then a coffee at Starbucks and finally DHS for some park time.

Except that it was insanely crowded. And then it started to rain. Hard. So, I made it on Star Tours, Great Movie Ride and headed back to the car to check into Disney's All Star Sports Resort.

575055_612259575205_1238482338_n.jpg

Now - two things. In the past I've come down for Memorial Day Week. I've found that the crowds usually ease up on Monday and then disappear on Tuesday. Not this year. Not even close. Also, I took note from TCD's trip report that AS Sports wasn't as bad as I remembered if there wasn't a large group there. So, lessons learned: Memorial Day isn't always slow and All Star Sports isn't always like a youth hostel.

Check-in went smoothly and my room was ready around noon. It was perfectly fine.

269262_612262793755_1829786363_n.jpg

246461_612261895555_915739361_n.jpg

599115_612262419505_2109006777_n.jpg

251981_612262773795_2028169035_n.jpg

(The theming at the All Star Resorts is very subtle)

181191_612262469405_2056944903_n.jpg

599637_612261251845_1121221033_n.jpg

545492_612259605145_259667249_n.jpg

484174_612262489365_2141993834_n.jpg

165895_612261571205_1722108911_n.jpg

So, about now is when I really started feeling funny. Light headed. Congestion. And then… bam. Out like a light. Yes, I got the cold of the century on vacation. So, I spent most of Monday and Tuesday in bed. No, I'm not kidding. I lounged around and laid my butt in bed in a WDW hotel room. When there was so much to do and see just outside the door.

I think I'm at the photo limit, so I'll continue in the next post.

OK, let's continue the stay at the All Star Sports. I'm checked in, sick and lounging. What would you do. I slept a lot and watched tv.

I did eat, though!

181115_612262219905_1163304335_n.jpg

8020_612259709935_1737786154_n.jpg

179111_612260004345_28085952_n.jpg

I'll tell ya. Say what you will, but having that food court so close was awesome. And it was more than burgers and hot dogs and fries (I had my fill of those, too, but no photos). I wish the Fort had some options like this.

I did make it out for Illuminations and a trip to DAK on Tuesday, but both were quick.

Here are a few pics from the rainy safari and Epcot.

165939_612261206935_2101877517_n.jpg

538066_612261226895_1530151765_n.jpg

180244_612262179985_1841491762_n.jpg

270926_612262619105_1698169612_n.jpg

On Wednesday, May 30 I woke up feeling MUCH better. I took some more drugs and went and met some friends who had also arrived early at Typhoon Lagoon. I can assure you, there are no Typhoon Lagoon photos. You do not need to see Brent in a swimsuit. There may have been some more Illuminating that night, but I really can't remember. I had to get packed up because Thursday I was MOVING TO THE FORT!

Oh, and a lesson learned… ALWAYS pack medicine for your vacation. You never know when you'll need it and 6 decongestants in the gift shop are about $5.

BTW, have you noticed a common theme in all of these photos? Rain. LOTS AND LOTS OF RAIN. I was sure it would clear up for the second part of my trip...