Camping etiquette - If a fiend came knocking...

would you consider it an intrusion?

I was under the impression that campers enjoyed saying hello to their neighbors but have been told that some feel it's an intrusion. I'm not talking about an unexpected extended visit, but rather a 5 minute pop-by to say "Hi - how are you" when you see a fiend you know. Not at dinnertime, or at night, of course but in the middle of the day. Also, if you have/haven't met the visitors before - would that make a difference?

I know a lot of us do it - and being on the receiving end of a fiend drop-in is terrific in my book - Just wondering if there's some camping etiquette rule I didn't know about pertaining to visiting before we get to the fort this summer and stop the cart to say hello or introduce myself to the campers next door. Don't want to pee in anybody's cheerios if I can help it...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I call new members, victims, targets of harassment, fresh meat.

No problem knocking on our door, if the GC and truck are there we usually are too. And remember if the MH is rockin "RUN LIKE HELL" we're having an earthquake. :rofl3:

honestly, the way Fiends stay out at night and gab, gossip and talk, I find it hard to believe anyone would be up at 7am :rofl2:

As long as I'm awake and coherent, no fiend visit is ever an intrusion, whether I've net them before or not. When I see a FF sign and the person is out, I always stop and say hello. Otherwise I'd never have met some great fiends!

If there is a rule, I need to know it too.

Not sure of official etiquette, but my thinking is that putting out your Fiend sign is pretty much putting out the welcome mat (appropriate times, not over-extending, etc.. rules apply).

If someone would prefer not to be dropped in on, I would think they wouldn't necessarily want to put a sign out. And hey, no harm, no foul! Some folks are shy, some folks might be nervous meeting a bunch of random, Snarky™ weirdos from the internet (and I lump myself into the weirdo category!), some might be on their one vacation all year and just want to "Disney it up" and not feel like they need to entertain. All AOK! Fiends are friendly, but we're not looking to impose.

Well... Lou might give you some grief, but just toss a pie his way and he'll shut up. 8)

It's funny because the one big thing that used to happened when many of us were "somewhere else" is that lots of folks would talk about meeting up and putting out their appropriate signs, but you'd rarely ever see such signs (you almost never do now) and when there were reports of the rare sign sighting, there was hardly ever anyone around to actually visit.

We met a ton of Fiends for the very first time last November and the way that happened was that we drove around in our GC, and when we saw a sign and someone at home, we stopped to say hi and introduce ourselves. Several times we were on the receiving end of someone doing the same while we were hanging at our site.

That turned into a couple of awesome potlucks, the "7 hours of tea" day with a bunch of lovely Fiend ladies, a super fun day of BATWIT at Epcot, an impromptu golf cart "safari" one night with Bob's slow cart in the lead (haven't laughed that hard in a long time), and even a secret mission! So much fun to be had, even just pulling up a chair and sitting down to chat.

For us, if we're sitting outside (which we generally are if we're home), come on by! The bar is always open - or the coffee is on if it's early.

I think the only rule of Fiend visitation comes from Bob.... you're always welcome, but BRING A CHAIR! :rofl2:

I'm always happy to have pals stop by. This weekend a couple people got lucky and visited just in time for Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. You just never know!

Although, I agree with others -- night time when we're all in the camper is usually not the best. Usually b/c I'm already in my Jedi nightshirt and I wouldn't wanna intimidate anyone.

For us, we don't mind anyone stopping by ever, EXCEPT in the middle of the day, if the cart is not around, and I'm not outside, then Rick is probably napping. Actually, if No one is outside, then we are either not home, or sleeping, cause there is not room inside our camper to do anything BUT sleep!!!

Also, we have light blocking shades in our camper, so shades down, sleeping, shades open, we're up and decent!

... Actually, if No one is outside, then we are either not home, or sleeping

Same here. If we're home and "decent" the door is usually open and at least one of us is outside with some combination of pups in the pen out back.

If either the GC or truck is missing, and/or there are no warm bodies outside, we're either not home or snoozing.

As far as we are concerned, if it is a reasonable hour, go ahead and knock on the door! We'll be super happy to meet ya!.

I generally observe my normal rules of etiquette when hunting fiends. If I know you really well.... I'm gonna visit unannounced and stay as long as I please or until you run me away. :rofl2: If I've never met you I may try to catch you outside as I wouldn't want to disturb sleeping babies, or "personal moments". ;D

If you're Judy Pie.. or someone else I have gotten to know well on FF or FB I may just do a sneak attack and grab you in a bear hug! :bighug:

I welcome drop in visitors with one exception. If my Snarky spankula is hanging from my crockpot, that's means INC and I need some privacy. Like the old saying goes, "If the spankula's crock'n, don't come a knock'n."

I figured if the spankula is MIA outside then it has been taken inside .... and that would be my cue to stay away. ;D

Stop by and see me just about anytime too. For us if the front window curtains are open and the car and GC are home so are we.

I actually had a surprise visitor last night! Judy came a knockin about 10 last night when she got to Fort just to give me a hug. Donnie had picked her up from the airport so I got a hug from him too!

cause there is not room inside our camper to do anything BUT sleep!!!

:blink:

I am the opposite of Carol. If we're home, we're out in the screened room and everyone is welcome to stop by (weirdo's especially Mo, they're the most exciting visitors)

If we are home, but not outside, we're inside....but not sleeping, so come back later. :))

If you see a koozie or cigar then we are open for business.

Good! b/c I most definitey have a huge :bighug: waiting just for you!

I welcome drop in visitors with one exception. If my Snarky spankula is hanging from my crockpot, that's means INC and I need some privacy. Like the old saying goes, "If the spankula's crock'n, don't come a knock'n."

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Not sure of official etiquette, but my thinking is that putting out your Fiend sign is pretty much putting out the welcome mat (appropriate times, not over-extending, etc.. rules apply).

Hrmphh....I need to get that Fiend sign....

My takes is campers are almost always open and friendly and willing to kick back and chat with just about anyone. (not in the middle of the night, of course)

I agree, if you have a sign out, that means you're looking for your people! We pack 7 into a popup, so we are outside by default! Feel free to stop by and say hello, if you do not see anyone outside, you will also see the carts are gone, if it's evening, come enjoy the fire!

My experience is I generally don't remember those middle of the night chats. So did they really take place?

If a tree falls in the forest...was it bottles or cans?

I agree, if you have a sign out, that means you're looking for your people! We pack 7 into a popup, so we are outside by default! Feel free to stop by and say hello, if you do not see anyone outside, you will also see the carts are gone, if it's evening, come enjoy the fire!

Fire? Get real, I'm stopping by to see what beer you are drinking.... :beer:

But I bring my own, so I want be scavaging. :clint: