Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

Swan boats!

Where did this boat go?  Was the waterway bigger back in the day? Nowadays the boat would only be able to go 10 ft forward and 10 ft back and the ride would be over.  the only thing I can remember from that spot were the radio contolled boats

TCD that is the line for SM you can see the RCA sign in the background

Interesting.

I see the turnstiles now down on the right for the skyway entrance.

I didn't realize that is the SM entrance on the left, it looks different from how it looks now:

spacemountain_zps6eb78e26.jpg

They don't have guests line up outside like that anymore.  When the inside is full, the line just extends out from the entrance.

TCD

TCD look closer at the line you can see the

SM old of cars in that sign

You're on fire Todd.

Indeed.

I believe what Todd was trying to say was- "Hey- look- you can see one of the old Space Mountain ride vehicles on display outside of the Space Mountain entrance."

And he is right.

I marked it with a purple arrow.

And I marked the skyway entrance with a red arrow:

space2_zps82028141.jpg

TCD

Indeed.

I believe what Todd was trying to say was- "Hey- look- you can see one of the old Space Mountain ride vehicles on display outside of the Space Mountain entrance."

And he is right.

I marked it with a purple arrow.

And I marked the skyway entrance with a red arrow:

space2_zps82028141.jpg

TCD

I forgot all about the space car display.  I wish they had left that.

Was there a reason Disney got rid of the sky ride?  Did someone get hurt or was it just an old attraction they wanted to do away with?  Unfortunatley my first time to Disney wasn't until I was 22.  I grew up in the family that always said "it was too much money to go to Disney, enjoy the beach, it's free" so I missed alot of the old vintage things at Disney including river county

Was there a reason Disney got rid of the sky ride?  Did someone get hurt or was it just an old attraction they wanted to do away with?  Unfortunatley my first time to Disney wasn't until I was 22.  I grew up in the family that always said "it was too much money to go to Disney, enjoy the beach, it's free" so I missed alot of the old vintage things at Disney including river county

Your parents must be related to Mrs. TCD's parents.  She grew up in Clearwater, and went to Disney like twice her entire childhood.  I grew up in NJ, and went more than she did.

I've always heard it was a maintenance issue with the skyride.  That wire had to be very carefully checked and maintained, and there weren't many people available with the skill set to do that.  Also, there were injuries, and I heard of a CM who was killed after being hit by one of the cars in the turnaround area.  The bottom line was the ride was expensive to keep up and a massive liability- so out it went.

TCD

I've always heard it was a maintenance issue with the skyride.  That wire had to be very carefully checked and maintained, and there weren't many people available with the skill set to do that.  Also, there were injuries, and I heard of a CM who was killed after being hit by one of the cars in the turnaround area.  The bottom line was the ride was expensive to keep up and a massive liability- so out it went.

TCD

Yep, it was a risk manager's worst nightmare. 

A CM was killed and DIsney was found to be at fault by OSHA. They paid the fine and fixed the problem, but the official word was that safety issues had nothing to do with the closing. 

Also a  guest wanting to sue Disney for something jumped 20 feet off the ride. The lawsuit went nowhere

A CM was killed and DIsney was found to be at fault by OSHA. They paid the fine and fixed the problem, but the official word was that safety issues had nothing to do with the closing. 

Also a  guest wanting to sue Disney for something jumped 20 feet off the ride. The lawsuit went nowhere

Yup, that's what it says on Snopes.

It was still in operation during the early years when I began to visit frequently with my daughters.  The truth of the matter is that it wasn't that great of an attraction.  It took you one way from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland, or you could ride one way the other way.  You could easily walk quicker.  And what you saw from up there was pretty much the tops of the ride buildings.  Big whoop.  It wasn't a big deal to me when they ripped it down. 

TCD

There were a few great picture opportunities from the skyride:

20000Leagues2049.jpg

20000Leagues1048.jpg

Yeah, those were definitely good photo opps.  Miss that ride, though what they have there now is way better for my girls.  Guess it has to evolve with the generations!