Blood, Sweat, and Fiends: A Fort Fourth!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe just a little. I need to set up another account just for TRs It may seem that way, but just because I was on the thread doesn't mean I was reading it. Nice detective work MD and nice job on the

Clairvoyance, it's a gift.

That’s the same expression I have on my face when starting a trip to the Fort. Enjoying the Trip Report. :)

Posted Images

Day Three:

Music: Disney Ambient Music

Drink: Stout

Smell: Curry & Chocolate

Up and at’em early once again! Sort of… I figure I slept about 12 hours!

I even took a shower before everyone was up.

It was breakfast time again, and today….it was BenskiMuffins again…go with a good thing.

2012-07-06_08-49-54_868.jpg

One small problem…

2012-07-06_08-53-44_783.jpg

The eggs were frozen…

2012-07-06_08-57-05_874.jpg

But a little love, patience, and hot sauce always pays off…

2012-07-06_09-32-04_922.jpg

I still can’t stop looking at that contraption next door.

2012-07-06_09-46-50_742.jpg

I guess it’s better than the guy on the other side that insisted in walking around his site in his underwear, sort of a camping etiquette no-no as far as I’m concerned!

No pictures of that. Actually, would kind of like to forget that. After you read this, I ‘ll probably erase it!

Onward… Annie gets ready for a busy day. Today’s her 6th birthday. As in, today whilst typing.

2012-07-06_09-46-57_313.jpg

Which was a funny thing… When Ben checked in, he told them that we were all celebrating a group birthday, and we all had happy birthday buttons.

But none of us wore them.

They were a better fit in January when I was wearing a hoodie.

John 2 had celebrated his 8th birthday in early June. He was born the day that the Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup.

He had some birthday money from my Mom, and wanted me to take him to get his just rewards.

He asked if I could cart him up to the Meadow Trading Post…he had some wampum, and wasn’t afraid to use it!

He picked out what he wanted from the moment he got his hands on the cash. And I can’t blame him!

2012-07-06_09-47-09_786.jpg

Then, it was back to the site. Time to clean up after breakfast.

The Kenny Cart Kitchen Sink!

2012-07-06_09-55-14_296.jpg

Generally, we go by “Cooks Don’t Clean”.

Today was my turn.

2012-07-06_09-55-35_886.jpg

Cool shirt, eh?

Honestly, I was so relaxed on this trip, and a lot had to do with my good friend Ben. He prepared a lot of the food ahead of time, and did a bulk of the cooking while at the site.

And to top it off, he had dishes cleaned most times before we got up from the table.

This trip we decided to use a lot more disposable stuff too.

Now, we go to two different Dollar stores before we pack. A time and energy saver!

Speaking of the Dollar Store… Got myself a badass hood ornament too!

2012-07-06_09-58-44_589.jpg

For some reason, all the pink mingos at the dollar store were more purple. Works for me!

Got a lot of compliments on it as well!

We were going to split up for the day. Ben and William to fish, and the MetalFamily to Downtown Disney for our customary haunts!

But, we were held up for a few minutes.

A Haunted Mansion golf cart comes screeching up and slams on the breaks just inches away from the Big Black Truck.

It was Donnie and a cast of fiends!

2012-07-06_11-31-19_327.jpg

That’s BassMaster (Ben), MetalDad (John), MetalWife (Marta), BlondeBunny (Jennifer), Family Of Bears (Brandy), and StackTester (Donnie).

Donnie’s friend took the picture, I think his name was David, but he wasn’t a fiend, so we put him to work!

The photo was taken from in front of our site, and Jennifer’s site was directly behind where we’re stood!

It was nice chatting and meeting more fiends.

Finest kind, to be sure.

I’m pretty certain that a very high percentage of the ladies of FF, and camping women in general are teachers.

I think that is so awesome! I’m very proud of my wife.

It’s a tremendous sacrifice personally and financially, but she does it for the right reasons, and for that, she has my immense admiration.

Later that night Donnie and the 1700 fiends went to Ohana.

Jennifer and her famous-looking husband were winding up their trip and fretting over their photos.

She inadvertently sent her phone through the Comfort Station washer.

She then left the camera-phone in a bag of dry rice on the dashboard for four days trying to dry it out.

If I remember correctly, she lost like a week or two’s worth of vacation and park pictures.

Brandy and her crew had added on a little extra time by a day or two and headed home over the weekend, Saturday if I recall.

I helped them fold up their tarp. I just remembered that, so I had to type it!

So, me and my tribe headed out to the Outpost to catch the bus over to DTD.

As we waited, four buses showed up for the DHS, one of them had a driver and a CM standing nearby.

No one was allowed on that bus, so I’m assuming it was training.

Speaking of the bus, we got a great shot of Lou…

2012-07-06_11-31-19_328.jpg

Actually, we didn’t get to meet Lou. This is the third time too!

The first time was just before Christmas, he didn’t see that I had posted that we were in the 1700 loop.

The second time was over MLK weekend in January, he scolded me for expecting him to leave the house during the NFL playoffs.

He said he was staying home in his underwear to watch Tom Brady.

Not sure why we didn’t see him this time.

I’m sure the schedule was hectic because of the holiday, and the last thing he wanted was to see a camper full of Rays fans.

It’s OK, we know who the Mouse loves!

2012-05-21_22-04-41_904.jpg

Anyway, the bus stop... The view to the back…

2012-07-06_11-58-27_70.jpg

The waiting.

2012-07-06_11-58-50_379.jpg

2012-07-06_12-00-44_373.jpg

Cool! Bus is here…next stop Downtown Disney!

We climb aboard, check the name tag on the driver…nope!

2012-07-06_12-08-01_708.jpg

Off the bus stop, we usually go right and land at Pleasure Island, but today, we went left.

That’s ma booaat! – Forrest Gump, 1994

2012-07-06_12-30-40_751.jpg

The kids wanted to take photos on the motorcycle, bear with me…

2012-07-06_12-34-02_710.jpg

2012-07-06_12-34-28_122.jpg

2012-07-06_12-34-44_379.jpg

It’s amazing how some cultures don’t get the whole “waiting on line” thing.

We had to wait until four or five kids cut in front of us, some while my youngest was climbing up on the bike, and the parents never let the kids know that they’re being rude or disrespectful.

But they did look at me, and knew.

That’s what I get for being an infidel!

Next stop was Bongo’s.

With my wife being Puerto Rican, our family is somehow drawn to the salsa music and spicy fare of Hispanic culture.

Plus, they sometimes stock a beer called Hatuey that I really dig.

But not today.

Today, it was counter snacks and Diet Coke.

We got some Empanadas. Loaded them up with Texas Pete.

2012-07-06_12-54-03_990.jpg

We continued with a loop through House of Blues… for the AC more than anything.

Splitsville is gonna be cool. We have one in Tampa.

It’s like an upscale sushi/martini bar with bowling… who knew?

We then headed back to Pleasure Island. Down around the corner, and there it is…

2012-07-06_13-18-56_731.jpg

It’s been a really long time since we’ve been to WDW and didn’t do this next bit. Like maybe a decade?

We get a Guinness, a Smithwick’s for the Mrs. and the unreal fries/chips from Cooke’s and a side of Curry.

2012-07-06_13-32-48_291.jpg

What we started doing two trips ago, was get extra curry sauce, and one night, make corn at the site and add the sauce.

Brilliant!

We worked our way over to the huge Lego store.

2012-07-06_14-10-46_201.jpg

I took this one as a joke for my brother in law, since I didn’t buy him anything.

2012-07-06_14-12-26_716.jpg

That’s no moon…That’s a Space Station. - Obi Wan Kenobi, 1977

2012-07-06_14-03-35_658.jpg

I’m actually mad at that photo.

There was a problem pulling it off the phone, and it corrupted like 6 photos from DTD.

Annie showed me her version of post-modern minimalism.

2012-07-06_14-16-55_332.jpg

Next we went to the new chicken and fresh market place that used to be McDonald’s.

We had a tip from a 1500 fiend that MetalWife needed to try the Watermelon Sangria.

2012-07-06_14-17-14_795.jpg

I tried it, pretty good! Refreshing, and the fruit is a nice potent finish.

I took a t-shirt photo to upload to facebook.

2012-07-06_14-41-29_382.jpg

Then, to the Disney mega wallet sucking store. Annie picked out a gift for her birthday, a cupcake cookbook so she can make cupcakes for her birthday party!

I think I’m at the photo limit, so continue shopping, I’ll be waiting by the door.

Another great update, John! One of my favorite past times is just wandering around DTD.

That stinks that you ran into rude people. I always wonder if they are like that at home or if a switch flips when they get to Disney.

Only problem I can see with this update, is now I'm hungry!!

Oh, thank you for not taking and sharing a picture of the guy in his underwear. :rofl2:

That’s no moon…That’s a Space Station. - Obi Wan Kenobi, 1977

If you have ever seen Thumb Wars that quote takes on a whole new meaning!

I am enjoying your report, it looks like you had a great time!

Two comments about our food here, MD. First, notice the warning label on your cooktop; I may make a suggestion to the Comfort Station personnal that they post one of these above the outside door, especially when we've (that's you and I) been touring with beers from the dark side. Enough said.

Second, I must mention the double-yolk egg that looks like the bikini top for Mrs. Spongbob Squarepants, if there were such a character. The unplayed song for that day, "Itsy Bitsy, Teeny Weeny...". Sorry, I'm just adding to the cheesiness on the griddle, which just happens to be protected by Musket Mickey. Nice photo.

Oh, and thanks for including a photo of me in an upright and awake pose; the bass thanks you as well.

I forgot about that. The reason we took that photo was because the egg dropped a double yolk!

Also, there was a problem with the Comfort Station, something about the water heater. It reeked of propane and they had technicians banging on something out back for two days straight.

I heeded your advice and took note of the smells, along with the music and beer choices.

cb5f899b47922347ac77cdfbfa9b12cc.jpg

If you ever find yourself in the golf cart, off the beaten path, and The Stefa70 clan is there, I got your back! (And Tow Nater! ;) )

Another fun read, and I notice Ben has his own comedic side. Well done, Ben!

That would be awesome. I'd have no fear to drive a cart anywhere, and could really muster up some trouble. We just have to synch-up the calandars!

Ya see, smell is a strong sense.. it's like being there in person!

Wow!

Great trip report, MD!

That last update had it all- food, beer, bass, Ben's moustache, illegal cart riding, behind the scenes shots, Fiends, a couple of shots from the secret spot and more!

What I liked best of all was your neighbor with the saran wrapped EZ up!

Brilliant!

Great job!

TCD

Thanks. That's really the only trouble I stir up is going off piste in the cart.

I'm all caught up. Really enjoying the variety of beers. I can almost taste them. Well, except for cup-eating swill from Erie. I'm from the next county over and I've never heard of the place. Bet you wish you hadn't either.

Loving the breakfast and brat pics. Especially the cheese on the griddle. Mmm, burnt cheese.

Dave, I told the Mrs. that you would be expecting food pics, she thought I was nuts. "You look like a weirdo taking a photo of your food!"

More in the next update!

Hey! I told you that I thought I heard my name, but I was told, "You're hearing things. I'm not stopping. This is boring." Or something like that.

Was great meeting you and Ben.

You as well! Looking forward to checking out the vids!

Another great update, John! One of my favorite past times is just wandering around DTD.

That stinks that you ran into rude people. I always wonder if they are like that at home or if a switch flips when they get to Disney.

Only problem I can see with this update, is now I'm hungry!!

Oh, thank you for not taking and sharing a picture of the guy in his underwear. :rofl2:

Eveyday. He had a conversation in his underwear, my wife's trying to look elsewhere. Dude, put some pants on.

The rudeness bothered me, but it seems to be cultural with that particular ethnic group. Funny that they're at Disney, it's such an icon of American excess!

Great update. Happy birthday, Annie!

Thanks. I'll tell her!

Your son's mohawk ROCKS!

Carry on................(my wayard son) :clint:

Ya like that? I cut it!

It'll be gone by school. He loves it. My mom hates it. It's hair. It grows back...when you're 8!

Ragland Road and right beside it Fuego. Two of our favorite places....

Sangria? Hmmmm.....

Yes. Oddly, they made it with white wine, with is fine, but a red would have carried the fruit better. Just my opinion. Most people like it just the way it is.

If you have ever seen Thumb Wars that quote takes on a whole new meaning!

I am enjoying your report, it looks like you had a great time!

I can only imagine. I'll look it up later!

Love all the updates I missed earlier.

Happy Birthday Annie! Love, Annie

Cool, from another Annie. She never met one! But loves the movie!

Lovin the trip report! Wish we lived closer.

Thanks. It's great being this close. Travel time doesn't kill a day or two on each side of your stay.

AGU!!! (Another Great Update).

Boy, I don't even know where to begin.

I loved . . .

The breakfast sandwich.

Another photo of the contraption next door.

Annie's BD!

John 2's mohawk (and Rays shorts FW shirt combo!)

The Kenny Cart sink.

The photo of Lou.

And, most of all, Rays Fan Mickey!

This is a most excellent report!

Good job!

TCD

Many thanks! I also have a shot of Ben's son and John 2 with Mickey, but I wanted to show all the Rayness of the statue!

We've been killing our backs crouching over the dish bucket, until we accidentally put the bucket on the back of the cart. Perfect height. And, keeps the cart clean!

MD, once again I am awed and inspired by your attention to detail and helping me remember things from the trip that I had either totally missed or simply forgot due to my apparent case of ADD/ADHD; hyperactive? NOT, except when the bass be bitin’. I am making mental notes, since there is a lot of blank space in this old noggin’ of mine, to pay more attention to the little things, except for Captain Fruit-of-the-Loom, our neighbor. To “steal” a line from Jack Nicholson, “You make me want to be a better” camper. Mega props on the update.

This TR has made me giggle more than once. We have very similar senses of humor!

My husband loves the "Disney on Ice" idea….you'll have to tell me when you'll be at the fort again, I think that would be reason enough for him to be convinced to go! He is also a big fan of the Captain, and he'd be all over those breakfast sandwiches. I'm pretty boring, all I ever bring is cereal! I do make some good dinners to compensate, though. And the beer is always ICE cold.

My avatar... Via Napoli pizza! Yum!

I love food pics.

Nice. I like it!

Very awesome update!!! Thanks for sharing!!!1

A little of most everything. Great update.

Glad you're still along for the ride. We still have 4 or 5 updates!

MD, once again I am awed and inspired by your attention to detail and helping me remember things from the trip that I had either totally missed or simply forgot due to my apparent case of ADD/ADHD; hyperactive? NOT, except when the bass be bitin’. I am making mental notes, since there is a lot of blank space in this old noggin’ of mine, to pay more attention to the little things, except for Captain Fruit-of-the-Loom, our neighbor. To “steal” a line from Jack Nicholson, “You make me want to be a better” camper. Mega props on the update.

Gracias. It's amazing how many details you recall as you got through the photos. It's easier this time because we have 249 photos, vs. 90 from last time.

This TR has made me giggle more than once. We have very similar senses of humor!

My husband loves the "Disney on Ice" idea….you'll have to tell me when you'll be at the fort again, I think that would be reason enough for him to be convinced to go! He is also a big fan of the Captain, and he'd be all over those breakfast sandwiches. I'm pretty boring, all I ever bring is cereal! I do make some good dinners to compensate, though. And the beer is always ICE cold.

Cool. Thanks. I was hoping someone would pick up on my attempt at humor!

While I do skate and play hockey, My version of DISNEY ON ICE is much different. I know a lot of booze seems to show up in my TR, I think it's more that we plan for it, and the tasting sessions are part of the experience. I work hard and I play hard!

Maybe just a little.

I need to set up another account just for TRs

It may seem that way, but just because I was on the thread doesn't mean I was reading it.

Nice detective work MD and nice job on the TR.

Thanks Lou! It's nice to have you along. Perhaps we'll meet up next time.

The post-modern minimalism pic was great.

Irish Beer at DD. Awesome.

Thanks. She a funny kid.

We make that run to Raglan/Hole In The Wall/Cooke's evertime.

One of the photos eaten by the Lego Death Star was a shot outside of the men's room at Raglan Road. Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy. How cool to see that at a Disney location. Phil was one of the greatest!