POLL: When Did You First Camp At The Fort?

79 members have voted

1. 1. In What Decade Did You First Camp At The Fort?

• 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s
    • 2010s
    • I've Never Camped At The Fort

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first trip was in 1977 and I was 1 1/2 years old. My second trip was in 1979 and I still have my certificate from my day at the Mouseketeer Clubhouse; which I believe was at the Contemporary Resor

1972 in a converted bread truck RV while my mom was expecting me. Back kicking and screaming the following year.

My first trip to the fort was 1985 & I was 7 yrs old.

You all are making me feel so old! Our first trip to WDW was in 1978 with 6 people and later 7. After several trips paying for a suite in the Contemporary, we purchased our TT and visited the fort for the first time in October 1988. We've been hooked ever since.

1979. We had a Club Rally at the old Camping World CG in Kissimmee and then we went to the FORT. I use to belong to the "Magic Key Club" and had books of all "E" tickets that we bought in California, they were good at both parks. It was bad enough being addicted to Disneyland, but Camping and Disney World that is euphoria.

Our first trip was in July of 2006, we had gotten our camper in October the year before. We had been to Disney in March of 2005 at the All Star Movies. Our new found camping friends called and asked my wife if we wanted to camp at Disney with them. Even though we had just been, the idea combined two of our favorite activities, so we jumped at the chance. When we returned I had the Fort bug. I searched the internet and found the Fiends at another place back then, that kept my interest in the Fort rolling. Finally last year we returned to Fort three times spending a total of a month there. We will go back, just not sure when. Until then I will really enjoy my time here with the Fiends.

Our first stay was in October 1974. We were married in March of that year but could not get vacation time until October. Our place of employment, General Telephone, belonged to the Magic Kingdom Club and we could book vacation plans (yes, they had them then) through the MKC. We had 6 nights, 7 days at the Fort (in the 400 loop - don't recall the site #), 3 days of admission to the MK, ride/attraction coupons - A,B,C,D,E & the Magic Key coupons, coupons for meals. We went to the Hawaiian Luau, the Top of the World, and various other meal coupons, coupons for horseback riding, the sprites, canoes, Marshmallow Marsh, and other stuff I can't remember. The price? $325.00 + tax. Which at the time, was 1 1/2 weeks pay for my DH. I look back on all the stuff included with this and I think, "they were doing dining plans way back then!"

Anyhow, that is the beginning of our love affair with the Fort and each other.

I stayed in the cabins as a kid in the 80's. Even though I eventually lived in central FL for much of my childhood and have stayed in MANY Disney resorts, that's the one resort I remember staying in as a child. After being back as an adult, I wish I could move there!

We first stayed at the Fort in 2010 in a cabin on the 2100 loop - the best cabin loop, I think! We fell in love with the Fort and the next summer we rented a 5th wheel from Donnie and REALLY pretended to be campers! :rofl2:

This year, we only got to visit for the day as we stayed at Pop- but in a short time, DD managed to hula hoop, play horseshoes, ride a pony, have a drink (no wait, that was me...), and do a little shopping at the Trading Post.

Even if we are not able to stay at the Fort, it will always be a place we set aside time to go and visit awhile and "pretend"!

Late 70's. We had a 1975 Eldorado Class C at the time. We went a couple times and later my second family began regular visits around 1998 in a 1990 Georgie Boy Class A. Been going ever since. All visits at the Fort.

I don't remember much about those first trips, but then I also don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning...

My first trip to the fort was 1985 & I was 7 yrs old.

06.jpg

Awwww! Love this pic, Steve! You were such a cutie!

We are long time Disney folks and have stayed at most of the resorts, but always put off staying at the Fort because of transportation concerns. Our first trip to the Fort was in January of 2011. We stayed in a cabin and loved it. Our next trip was in March and we rented Donnie's 5er. We grew up camping with Mama and Daddy in a pup all over the US. Mama was spoiled on that trip and talked of nothing but getting our own camper. So in May for Mother's Day we were at the Fort in our new to us 5er!

December, 1980: our first trip from Wisconsin to Florida. Pitched a tent in the Fort and were hooked. They still had the trams, which we liked MUCH better than the buses.

We went to River Country, which was not heated. Even through I grew up in Wisconsin swimming in always-cold Lake Michigan, the water was painfully cold - but we were determined to get the most of our 1st WDW experience. Loved every minute of it, and have been back almost every year since.

Wish they would re-open River Country and just make it part of the Fort!

First trip was January 2012! We have only been camping since Zach was a baby so it didn't take much to talk Alex (Alerope) into camping at Disney instead of squishing into a motel room. We fell in love with the Fort. Unfortunately, no other place we camp measures up. We're coming back MLK week 2013. Parks or no parks, we're headed to the Fort! :mh1:

My first Fort trip was in August of 1981 when I was 12. We had a pop-up. I don't remember what loop, but I remember LOVING :heartsmiley: the Fort. It's funny to think that the only park open then was MK. I think we spent 3 days there! I got the worst sunburn of my life, too. To this day I still have the freckles that resulted from that burn. :banghead:

I'm a relative newbie. Been going to WDW since mid 70's. Then, 5 years ago we got our first puppy. I'm too much of a softy to have dropped him off at a kennel (even though there are some wonderful ones here), so I bought my first TT and became a Fort fanatic.

My first trip to the Fort was in the cabins for a weekend in 2007.

We invited another family, one of my best friends, to join us. His wife was pregnant and our third wasn't quite a year yet. The two of us sat on the cabin porch until 4am listening to old Neil Young records.

All I remember of the next day is being exhausted, hungover, and being "that family" with the gaggle of kids and strollers. Walking to the bus and pool... rookies!

Now we go up often, with the PUP. Kenny carts, and Ben!

But somehow someway, I still remember that first trip, as I, like a dumbass, put the whole thing on a credit card, which by now I've paid for several times over.

Fortunately, we got rid of all our credit cards before we got the camper. Keeps us camping smartly instead of spending money we don't have! Much more relaxing.

Plus now I have that sign. You guys are stuck with me!

My first trip was in 1990 and my DH was in 1974. We have gone every year since 1990 except for 2 times. We started with our son and a friend of his and now it's the son, wife and granddaughter. When we mention going to the Fort they are right there ready to go. They said they don't care how old they get if we're going they are too. We missed last year because of dh knee surgery so we are really looking forward to our 1st Christmas at the Fort.

First trip was in Dec. of 2006 for a Cub Scout campout. Stayed in the 1500 loop in a tent. My husband was in grad school at the time so only got to spend a few hours with us the first night so it was just me and my 2 sons who were 4 and 6 at the time. It was an unusually cold week for Dec. in central FL and we nearly froze in that tent! Thank goodness for another family from our group who loaned us their electric heater. We went to MVMCP, did the campfire sing along and movie, and hung out with our dear friends. Walked everywhere.

I actually got lost a couple of times trying to figure out my way around the place, which makes me laugh now!

It's a good thing my first family campout was at the Fort or I probably would never have agreed to go again.

My first trip was in 1978. My uncle took me there with his wife before they had kids and then I became a teen and never went back. Fast forward to 2004. I bought a Keystone Tailgator that I hauled our 4 wheelers in and when I mentioned to a friend that I was going to Disney Thanksgiving weekend he said oh, staying at FW huh? I said what? He said you know the campground. I was like it's still there? He said yes and we decided to change from AS Music to the fort and you know the rest. Met a lot of fiends and yadda yadda yadda. It's been a great place to raise my daughter and we've had a blast.

Surprisingly (to me anyways), the 1970s are in the lead so far! We have some long time Fort lovers around here. And no one has voted yet that has not yet visited the Fort. I figure there have got to be some members here who are planning a first time trip, right?

I was ... Got my weekend in so I am no longer a virgin..