No Planes but, trains, automobiles, buses, boats, golf carts and ambulances.

1/6/13 I updated the title to reflect the total idea of the trip.

Welcome to my first ever trip report and my 5 year old daughters first trip to Disney. We are heading south by way of Auto Train and wanted to document what I could for you. This trips cast members are Me- Bo as some of you know me, Hubby -G- and the cute daughter -J-. We are from NJ near Philly for time perspectives. This trip was bumpy, sway-y and clickity clackity. I will be giving the good, the bad and the inbetween...lol I am just going to jump right in.

I had packed the car the night before so we just had to gather up the last of the necessities and GO!!! It is Tuesday morning about 8:45 and we are on our way to Lorton Virginia to pick up the autotrain. We stopped for Dunkin donuts to get hubbies caffeine fix and less than 2 ½ hours later we arrive at Lorton.DSCN0006_zps99ebd150.jpg

When you get close there are signs letting you know you are in the right area and where you are heading. It was only a few turns of the main road. The GPS did not take us on 95 south for the whole trip, but took us another way starting in Baltimore. We came home by 95 and this was quicker with steady moving traffic. We will follow the GPS on the next trip and there will be another trip.

DSCN0007_zps4240ba28.jpg

One more turn, and we are at the Lorton station. Again It was easy to find and traffice was not bad. Now the waiting begins. Have I said yet how good -G- and -J- are about waiting.... More on that later. We start getting our ID's ready and gathering up the tickets and what not. When you pull into this road you will see on the right a guard looking booth, with cars lined up if you are early, and on the left behind the booth area a parking lot. Your choice depending on when you get there is whether you will want your car again to leave and get lunch(early checkin) and booth if you are ready to stay.

DSCN0009_zps59714bbf.jpg

We see trains.. Well actually just one train broken into its separate, car parts and people parts. They were still unloading the last of the cars and reuniting them with there owners. Pretty smooth operation from the looks of things but be careful, Not all the drivers are watching for you to cross the road, they are kinda feeling rushed to get out of the way....(also there are a LOT of seniors in this pack of cars). It is 11:10 and there is a line at the booth waiting to check the cars heading south. I believe that check in doesn't start at the earliest at 11:30 (a lot of snow birds take the train to florida with their cars and they arrive early to get on the train) We park in the lot and go inside to check us in. We don't want to check the car yet. Wish I had gotten pictures of the front of the building for you. Really nice people work the desk and the booths, it was done easily and relatively quickly.

DSCN0011_zps6b7ad3c3.jpg

The (God's) waiting room is wide open with seats everywhere, once you check your car in you are stuck. There is a very tiny store that can sell you an overpriced soda or newspaper, but that is about it. So, if you get there early(before 1pm and want to get something to eat keep your car, by not going thru the booth and park in the left side lot and walk into the building to check yourself in then check your car in at the booth around 2) The building was hot due to the fact the heat was on and it was 64 degrees out side with a heat wave. All the outside park benches were already taken. So we alternated once we came back from lunch.

Here are some facts about the auto train is a non stop,(except in the middle of the night to switch engineers and refuel). It is know as the worlds longest train(of some sort, i think it is auto/people mover. I was distracted when this was announced) It was a nice way to travel. So its pretty cool.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just made 3000 views for my first trip reports. Yay me, I don't think I would get 1000. -G- thought I would get 500, he still doesn't get this place. Thank you all for the views. You made my trip

My husband works for Amtrak. So it works out cheaper than flying for us. On the plus side we have our car(which we needed), no gas spent on ride down, we didn't have to pay for a hotel, or drive thr

While working in DC, I looked into it and the cost of the trip at that time was the same amount I would have incurred driving. Plus with the train leaving at 4PM, you would get out of DC and south MU

I'm in too!!

Great start. I'm always fascinated by the auto train. I've never rode a train at all other than WDW's.

I can't wait to hear about your daughter first trip. There's nothing better than seeing Disney through a newbies eyes, especially a childs.

I'm in. Never heard of a auto train. Please give more details about it.

I hope I finally made the first page.

From what i understand it runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL. You pay for you car and choice of accomodations. Sil and I are just getting coach seats in July. They load your vehicle onto the train and you ride in the passenger cars to FL. There are roomette and I believe one other type of accomodation as well. There is a dining car so you can get meals that look halfway decent. The train is as Bo said pretty much non-stop except for fuel and a conductor change.

Here's a link.

http://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-your-car-your-stuff-and-you

I'm in!

You are off to a great start.

Thanks for including the Auto Train part- it's interesting to hear about it.

Looking forward to the rest.

TCD

Ah, The master trip report writer has graced my TR. Thanks. It is harder than I thought, but I will keep wanting yours to come faster and faster.

Thank you.

Bo

Looking forward to hearing all about the train trip!

Thank you for hopping aboard. This trip report is about to leave the station....

Bo

first page braggin rights

Yes, You made the first page, brag away.

Bo.

I am paying close attention for our July autotrain trip.

I think you know as much as I do Jason, but welcome aboard.

Bo

Can't wait to read more!!!!

I am determined to write at least one installment today...

Thanks for coming along

Bo

I'm here!

Im Glad.

Bo

I'm in I always though it would be cool to take the train

It is or was. I will have a few pictures to share..

Bo

I'm in too (although that reminds me I need to get my TR started).

Get started. I will read it, promise.

Bo

I'm in... We always take our trailer or fly... but I've often wondered about this train.

Wonder no more. Hopefully it will be todays post.

Bo

I'm in. Cant wait to hear more about the auto train

Welcome in and aboard..

Bo

I'm in! This is really different! Way Cool!

A little different but cool way to go.

Bo

I'm in too!!

Great start. I'm always fascinated by the auto train. I've never rode a train at all other than WDW's.

I can't wait to hear about your daughter first trip. There's nothing better than seeing Disney through a newbies eyes, especially a childs.

We had a some misadventure in this trip so I hope you like it.

Bo

I'm in also, you made great time getting to Lorton from home must not of hit much traffic, lucky you!!!!!!!!!!

My driver is a near professional(if you listen to him) and we did have great luck with traffic.

Thanks

Bo

I'm in! Can't wait to read more of your adventure!

Doodle, yea. Doodle is reading my TR. Again I say yea!

BO

I'm in! Wonder if I made the first page?

Yes Marty you made the first page. Thanks for coming aboard.

Bo

That is an interesting way to travel. Is there a size limit on the vehicle? What is the cost structure? Looking forward to reading more about this trip.

Yes there is a size limit but I am taking my Suburban next time and saw a few big passenger vans come off the train.

I also read you can bring small trailers(not sure on how small or big off the top of my head)

Thanks

Bo

Good start! Can't wait to read and see more!

Thanks Southern Blessings, I hope to write more today.

Bo

I'm in. Never heard of a auto train. Please give more details about it.

I hope I finally made the first page.

Yes, you made the first page.

I will hopefully give you details in todays trip report. I am pulling out the paperwork on everything to get my facts right.

Bo

I'm in and interested to hear more. DH and I have talked about travelling by train but never have. Can't wait to hear more!

Thanks

The train is a great way to travel. I would and will be going this way again.

Bo