Let's get into my new 72 passenger golf cart. 100 passengers if I have anything to say about it, and go looping. Or as 4Mickey2, aka Cheryl, recently called it, Looooou-ping. But we're not louping at the Fort, we'll be touring WDW to check out some of the subtle and not so subtle things that were done this past year.

My oversized golf cart is actually one of the newer WDW buses complete with four, yup, four surveillance cameras. But not to worry if you're not looking your best, they're not watching you unless you attack me while I'm driving, which considering how I drive, is entirely possible. The cameras are there to record the driver and what the bus is doing. How would you like it if you were being recorded during your entire work day?

The GC seats only about 35 people, so most of you will have to stand and I hope you're dressed for the cool temp inside the bus. I know, you're asking, why is it like a meat locker inside the buses? Good question. That's just how the thermostats are set. It's not set by the drivers and can't be changed except to turn it off and then the windows fog up, we'll crash and all die. The drivers compartment has heat though and isn't that what's important?

We'll start this first louping session at DTD MP.

They've extended the area where the buses make the turn-around. This was done to accommodate more people in the queue for the value resorts. With the addition of the AoA, the queues were too crowded on the back side. The extended area makes for tighter turns by the buses and more likely that they'll hit each other if there are two buses in that area at the same time, but I guess that's ok. Wonder what they'll do if they add yet another resort? Except for the three values, all of the bus stops handle multiple resorts.

While we're at the MP, take a look at the progress on the new volcano at the Rain Forest Café. I guess fake volcanoes don't last as long as the real ones.

Oh, if you're a cheapskate and want to avoid paying the parking fee at the parks by parking at DTD in the morning and busing it to the parks, rethink that strategy. It will take you forever to get there and back. It can be and is done every morning by dozens of freeloading morons.

As we head over to the island of pleasure we pass the very impressive WDW casting building on the left.

As we pull into PI you'll notice that they've added a very elaborate ECV/WC access ramp system that runs behind and parallel to the bus stops. Looks like the ADA is working it's magic again. That's ok, Disney will just pass along the cost to you.

The balloon attraction has been back for a few months, but with a different balloon. I like the new design. It has a retro look to it. For those that have never seen the balloon up close, you should, it's impressive.

On our way to the West Side you'll see the strange looking Team Disney building on the left. You'll recall that I took a couple of Fiends there for lunch. You can visit and view the outside on your own, but you can't go inside.

As we pull into the West Side bus depot you're thinking, hey Lou, Disney buses don't stop at the West Side, and you'd be right, but we're on the Fiend bus and it should be ok. There is a bus depot at the West Side for non-Disney buses. It was also used when the PI bus depot was being refurbed a few years ago.

The major new addition at the West Side is the Splitsville bowling complex located where the Virgin store use to be. It's much more than just bowling alleys. It will go a long way to satisfy those that miss the old PI. It's a sports bar, an adults only lounge, live music, upscale food, sushi bars, pool tables, dancing, oh, and concierge bowling alleys. When it was first announced, I wasn't sure if it was a good fit, but now I think it will be very popular.

Directly across the street from the West Side bus depot is Typhoon Lagoon. It just reopened from it's annual shutdown. Besides the usual winter refurb, there is a reconfigured entrance and exit. While it wasn't an issue for cars, it was a tight tight turn for buses entering and an awkward turn when exiting. I like it.

Did you ever notice that there is an operating light house beacon at the entrance. It's very noticeable at night.

Oh, BTW, before we leave the DTD/TL area, did you also know that the resort bus stop numbers at the MP, PI, and TL are identical.

That's it for now. We'll continue in another installment.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ooooh, this might be a great activity for WWW. Find a day where Lou is working, hang out at his hub and ride his bus for his entire shift!!!!!

Let's get into my new 72 passenger golf cart. 100 passengers if I have anything to say about it, and go looping. Or as 4Mickey2, aka Cheryl, recently called it, Looooou-ping. But we're not louping at

We're leaving Typhoon Lagoon and heading to the Downtown Disney Resort Area which consists of POR, OKWR, and the SSR. It also includes the resorts on Hotel Plaza Blvd, but we won't visit those. Lets g

this would be called Lou-ping.....

I was wondering if you'd remember.

I love hearing about the changes first hand from someone who understands how it will really affect us.

I'm also a guest at WDW sometimes, so I know what you mean.

I am in but just want to know if the bus goes faster than 10mp?

Abosolutely, it'll be just like the bus ride in one of the Harry Potter movies.

I keep wondering why the rt turn blinker has been on for the last 2 hours.

The turn signals on the WDW buses are not like those in your car. They are foot operated and only stay on if you forget to lift your foot off the floor buttons.

I am on board an enjoying the narrated ride. You don't get a live narrator like this at Disney World anymore.

Most of the PA mics are disabled by the automated system, but bus drivers are also forbidden from talking over the PA except when approaching the bus stop, traveling on a road with no turns, or if stopped. It's considered distracted driving. Every once in a while you'll still get a driver that does it like the old days, but very few, because if caught they'll could get points on their record card or worse. And now with the cameras on board, the IMs can check. It's not worth the hassle.

I like cold buses, count me in.

That's a first.

'It's much more than just bowling alleys. It will go a long way to satisfy those that miss the old PI. It's a sports bar, an adults only lounge, live music, upscale food, sushi bars, pool tables, dancing, oh, and concierge bowling alleys. When it was first announced, I wasn't sure if it was a good fit, but now I think it will be very popular."

I hadn't thought of it that way Lou, but I think you're right about that. I'm looking forward to checking it out on our next trip.

Great thread! :)

When do we stop for food and assorted breaks?

Funny you should ask. I have a break that you will like scheduled during the next installment.

We aren't gonna have to wait thru the driver exchange program are we?

No driver swaps this trip. No other driver was willing to put up with you guys.