TCD's February 2013 Limited Time Magic TR

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can anybody use these relief areas, or are they just for service dogs?

I finished your post Kim.

Dave has a memorable smile and besides if one listens to the wisdom of the FF they know to "stay off the damn buses." No one says avoid the photo pass photographers.

Me? A TCD Kool Aid drinker?

Guilty as charged.

I definitely drink the Kool Aid. Everyone knows that if TCD says something, it's gospel.

69gyep.png

See?!

Oh, Troll. You are too much!

This is both hilarious and creepy.

The image is seared on my brain now, and I want it to go away, but also think we need to make a little garden flag with this on it for TCD to post on his campsite.

Can anyone translate what is written on the tablet?

Great update TCD. I had comments about the TR itself but this hijack has been the mack daddy of distractions and I forgot them.

Finally got read on a Monday morning, enjoying the story and waiting for more.

Glad that you got caught up, Eric.

More is on the way.

My take on why the old man was there at the MK when he didn't want to be...because he was on a multi generational family vacation and no matter what individuals wanted to do every moment would be planned out and spent together. He was just escaping from all the togetherness.

I think you are exactly right. And, good for the old guy for telling his kids and grandaughter to go on without him. He was happy on the porch. They were probably happy that he was on the porch too. When they met back up later, everyone was probably ready to do something together. That is much better than dragging the old guy around to places he didn't want to go.

I think it was the two tone socks with crocs that was the focal point of the photo up above somewhere. The photos are sweet with regard to content.

Glad you saw the girls.

BOG is so on my list of places to eat lunch.

The socks and crocs didn't even register. That is a common sight at WDW. Maybe not two tone.

Move BOG to the top of that short list. You won't be sorry.

Cool another TCD report. A week late and a dollar short, but whoo hooo!

:jumpforjoy

I'm sure to learn something new after I can go back and catch up.

Genia?

No way!

I'm really glad to see a post from you. I haven't seen you around much here lately.

I plopped my rear in a rocking chair looking towards TSI for two hours this past trip. It was nice.

Two hours? I think I might be ready to go before the one hour mark. But I'm willing to give it a try. So, were you in one of those rocking chairs along the road there in Frontierland?

I think I would end up falling asleep if I ever did that!

Me too. And, I'd probably wake up with a sharpie moustache and monocle, and an "L" on my forehead.

They could have done a little more but all in all it doesn't smb. Behave Dave or your pie gets no secret ingredient.

Have you seen the movie The Help? Maybe if Dave doesn't behave his pie does get the secret ingredient.

and the accessorizing award goes to.....

Manly Man with the Princess purse.

I totally missed that.

And you are right about the award!

I was too focused on the other guy to notice that the first time I saw that picture!!!! Too funny!

I missed it too.

I need to pay better attention.

That old guy on the porch was right I am just like him.

TCD

From that same article.

Here’s some additional information about our Walt Disney World Resort Starbucks locations. The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items. And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.

So...based upon comments they have clarified that the cinnamon rolls are indeed gone from the Main St Bakery. That's a shame.

I would take that comment as "They are currently available at Gaston's" until the Bakery reopens. JMHO.

Ditto

Lou and Dave (Grumpy Dave not Tennessee Dave)-

I can't see how you can read the "clarification" from the Disney Parks Blog that way.

If you go back and read the whole blog, it's pretty hilarious how bent people got about the announcement. Main Street Cinnamon rolls have a cult-like following among Disney fans. In all my years of visiting WDW, I had never tried one until last year. And, the truth is, they were really good. They were served right from the pan they were cooked on, hot and delicious- like they had just been baked. If you read all the blog comments, people were freaking out. So, the official Disney blogger posted the "clarification." Since cinnamon rolls were the thing people commented on the most, it would have been a very simple thing to say that everyone should settle down, the cinnamon rolls will still be there. But, that is not what they said. This is what they said:

The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items.

It would have been an easy thing to say that the bakery will continue to serve cinnamon rolls. Why didn't they say it?

Instead they addressed the cinnamon roll outcry with the following statement:

And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.

Does that say until the renovation is complete?

There are very few items on the Gaston's menu. Cinnamon rolls are one of them. It's pretty clear that there is no intention to take those off the menu after the Starbucks is built.

Since Starbucks is bringing in their premade crap, there is no way the Main Street Bakery could continue to serve all of the same things they used to.

It's clear as can be from that statement that the cinnamon rolls and ice cream sandwiches are gone for good.

There are cinnamon rolls at GAston's and they are HUGE!!!

Yeah. And they are ROOM TEMPERATURE!

I'm not saying the Gaston cinnamon rolls are awful.

But they are not even close to as good as the Main Street Bakery cinnamon rolls.

Have you ever had one of those Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls right out of the oven?

And then have you ever had one after it had cooled and sat around for a while?

That's the difference between Gaston's and Main Street Bakery.

hey it does take a Manly man to pull off the princess purse, or hat.

DSCN0201_zps64d40e57.jpg

BTW that is hubs. The crankiest man ever to wear pink Mickey ears.

Awe, he's so cute in those ears though. Why so cranky?

Yeah, he does pull of that look.

But, he would still end up in a TCD TR if I ever saw that in person.

Oh, Troll. You are too much!

This is both hilarious and creepy.

The image is seared on my brain now, and I want it to go away, but also think we need to make a little garden flag with this on it for TCD to post on his campsite.

Can anyone translate what is written on the tablet?

Great update TCD. I had comments about the TR itself but this hijack has been the mack daddy of distractions and I forgot them.

Thanks.

If I didn't have the photos to remind me of what comes next, I would have been lost a long time ago too.

TCD

My ancient Hebrew is a bit shaky....but I think the first tablet says "Thou Shalt Not Suck Monkey Butts".

Ah, the little known 11th commandment.

But, I'm not sure you read the tablet right.

This is what I saw on the tablet:

דייב מבאס את התחת של קוף. טנסי דייב לא Grumpy דייב.

I know you have to read Hebrew backwards and that there are no vowels, but dang if I can figure out what it says.,

TCD

Lou and Dave (Grumpy Dave not Tennessee Dave)-

I can't see how you can read the "clarification" from the Disney Parks Blog that way.

If you go back and read the whole blog, it's pretty hilarious how bent people got about the announcement. Main Street Cinnamon rolls have a cult-like following among Disney fans. In all my years of visiting WDW, I had never tried one until last year. And, the truth is, they were really good. They were served right from the pan they were cooked on, hot and delicious- like they had just been baked. If you read all the blog comments, people were freaking out. So, the official Disney blogger posted the "clarification." Since cinnamon rolls were the thing people commented on the most, it would have been a very simple thing to say that everyone should settle down, the cinnamon rolls will still be there. But, that is not what they said. This is what they said:

The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items.

It would have been an easy thing to say that the bakery will continue to serve cinnamon rolls. Why didn't they say it?

Instead they addressed the cinnamon roll outcry with the following statement:

And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.

Does that say until the renovation is complete?

There are very few items on the Gaston's menu. Cinnamon rolls are one of them. It's pretty clear that there is no intention to take those off the menu after the Starbucks is built.

Since Starbucks is bringing in their premade crap, there is no way the Main Street Bakery could continue to serve all of the same things they used to.

It's clear as can be from that statement that the cinnamon rolls and ice cream sandwiches are gone for good.

That is exactly my interpretation as well. I believe they are gone for good from the MSB. In which case, I am making a DaveInTN proclamation:

MSB SMB.

Update time.

We left off after lunch at BOG heading to Big Thunder Mountain for some Fastpasses.

The plan was to get the Fastpasses, then hop the train to Storybook Circus, walk to Space Mountain from there where we would use our Space Fastpasses, then hang around Tomorrowland, and eventually make our way back to Frontierland, where we would then use our Big Thunder Fastpasses.

That was a great plan.

Of course, things didn't work out that way. Frontierland was a madhouse. I guess the fact that Splash is closed for another rehab pushed everyone over to Big Thunder. The Fastpass return time was like 8:30 or something. We weren't going to stay that long.

Oh well, we would just hop the train and go ride Space Mountain.

Not.

For whatever reason, the train was super crowded. There was a train pulling away as we walked up, but the platform was still full of people, and there was a line all the way down the stairs and past the Splash entrance.

Not good.

So, we decided we would need to walk.

It was about 2:30, and folks were already camped out in spots in Frontierland for the 3:00 parade.

There were some good spots open, so we figured what the heck?

Yes, we had just watched it on Friday.

But, for some reason that escapes me, the twins really like to watch the parade.

So we did.

Like always, the parade begins with some favorite characters, like Goofy and the Chipmunks in zany costumes:

Feb2013185_zpsc0cecaf7.jpg

Feb2013186_zps4d16c6ec.jpg

To throw us off guard, they throw in random characters like Lilo and Jessie:

Feb2013187_zpsd8f1f8c1.jpg

We thought we had a pretty good spot to watch the parade.

But, we weren't counting on meeting a new friend.

It's iPad guy's less cool brother.

Please meet Out-of-Date-VHS-C guy:

Feb2013188_zpsada4f12f.jpg

Feb2013189_zps88602bc2.jpg

Are you kidding me?

This meatball and his family showed up at 2:591/2 and the Mom and kid squeezed their way between guests to get up to the rope. Then meatball stands behind Twin #2 and sticks his sweaty arm and his 20 year old camera in her face so he can videotape his obnoxious wife and bratty kid watching the parade?

Really?

Wow.

To our good fortune, the meatball got tired of holding his crappy camera in Twin #2's face, or his tape got jammed, so it didn't turn out as bad as it could have.

Here comes the Mickey and Minnie float:

Feb2013190_zps3e76ba16.jpg

Have you ever wondered how these floats are operated?

Are they controlled remotely?

How?

Do they just follow wires embedded in the pavement?

I've heard that.

There are supposedly sensors on the pavement and the floats drive themselves.

That would be cool if it was true.

And also maybe dangerous

Truthfully, I hadn't really thought about it. Until recently, parade watching was not something that we did much of.

Today I noticed something when this float passed by that I had never noticed before.

Do you see that cylinder there on the right of the float?

Do you notice that it has a hatch on top of it?

Can you see that the cylinder is full of little perforations?

Probably not.

But, the way the sun hit it as it drove by showed all the perforations.

And also the silhouette of someone sitting in that cylinder.

Interesting.

For Troll:

Feb2013192_zps18838da5.jpg

Do you remember me pointing out the random barrel on Pinnochio's float earlier?:

Feb2013193_zps07e2b679.jpg

Do you think it's mere coincidence that the barrel is located in the same spot as the cylinder that we just looked at on Mickey's float?

Also, something else I noticed on Pinnochio's float is that it has a clock on it that shows 3:00.

Funny.

Genie:

Feb2013195_zps2ccc5112.jpg

Here's another float. But wait, it doesn't have an odd cylinder on the right like the Mickey and Pinnochio ones did:

Feb2013197_zps064a2e83.jpg

I guess I wasn't on to something after all.

Or was I?

What about the stone column there on the left?

As the other floats went by, if the light hit them right, you could see the perforations in the cylinders. I didn't try taking a photo until this third float came by, so I tried to get a shot of what I was seeing:

Feb2013198_zpsc742a656.jpg

Look closer:

float_zpscbd30c0f.jpg

You can't see the silhouette here like I had with the other floats, but I think you can see the perforations. Now that I've spotted this, I will get a good shot of a float driver on some future sunny day.

I have posted photos of this float before. I at first thought everything on it was very random, but I guess the theme is flying. Thus we have Mary and Bert on the back:

Feb2013199_zps5ef39cd0.jpg

There's also a clock that reads 3:00 on the back of this float.

Hey, it's Mr. Smee:

Feb2013200_zpsd118f163.jpg

And the Queen of Hearts:

Feb2013201_zpsca5e52f0.jpg

Next came another strange float. This is the one that had a crystal figure of Simba on it. It also has a convenient cylinder designed on a front corner:

Feb2013202_zpsdf5922ae.jpg

On the back there's a crystal (or is it supposed to be ice?) rabbit and Timothy the Circus Mouse from Dumbo:

Feb2013203_zps43661024.jpg

I'm stumped at why there is a small figure of Simba, a rabbit, and Timothy the Circus Mouse carved from crystal or ice on this float. Maybe they just wrote a bunch of ideas on slips of paper and pulled them randomly from a hat?

Lady Tremaine didn't bother trying to call my attention to her daughters this time around:

Feb2013204_zps4bb49159.jpg

And that's all the parade photos I have.

Next, we hoofed it to Space Mountain.

I tried to be all thug- but I've never been able to pull of that look. I need a grill, shades, and some gold chains. Then maybe:

Feb2013205_zps46ac4000.jpg

LOL!

Here's a photo of the twins from the future:

Feb2013207_zpsb1c9efe0.jpg

It's kind of lame that the future looks pretty similar to today.

After we found that there were no Big Thunder Fastpasses that would work for us, we discussed what we would do after Space Mountain.

We decided that we would hop.

The new plan all along had been that we woudl be heading home after dinner tonight.

It was a school night, you know.

So, the plan now was that we would spend the rest of the afternoon in a park other than MK and then eat dinner either in that park or a resort before heading home.

After much discussion, it was agreed that we would head to Epcot and then head from there later to the Polynesian for a quick serve dinner at Captain Cooks.

Part of the attraction to heading to Epcot was the monorail ride there. It had been a while since we arrived at Epcot via monorail, and it is something that we always enjoy.

So, we left the MK and headed that way.

But, we decided to make a stop before the TTC.

Here we are on the resort monorail platform. There is construction going on at the Grand Floridian Resort, but they do a good job keeping that from being obtrusive:

Feb2013209_zpsd2cf0acc.jpg

Our ride:

Feb2013212_zps89300bde.jpg

We got a good look at the construction elevator they have rigged up at the Contemporary:

Feb2013215_zps51f431b9.jpg

We stopped at the Contemporary to have a drink and to take a little break.

There weren't many people out back:

Feb2013217_zps0f1593d0.jpg

Argh! It's the abomination:

Feb2013218_zps4b1edb13.jpg

Feb2013220_zps40748bea.jpg

After our break, we headed back to the monorail station to continue our journey.

They were using that construction elevator for something, and we could hear construction sounds coming from the higher floors. so, they are working on whatever they're doing already:

Feb2013222_zpse2fd8e4e.jpg

Feb2013223_zps1af5b039.jpg

We hopped aboard our train, and continued on to the TTC.

On the way there, I snapped this photo of the Grand Floridian. The new construction is on the left, but you don't even notice it. They did a good job blending the new part with the old:

Feb2013226_zpse937eeba.jpg

We stopped at the TTC and caught the Epcot monorail.

We will pick it up from there in the next update.

TCD

If you look in this pic, they have a dust curtain across one of the floors near the top. When we were there we saw them over a couple of the floors on that side, but we never heard any construction noise......so whatever they are doing, they are doing it quietly.

But he loves his little princess and will do about anything for her, including wearing her ear...

Good for him.

And that's the way it should be!

If you look in this pic, they have a dust curtain across one of the floors near the top. When we were there we saw them over a couple of the floors on that side, but we never heard any construction noise......so whatever they are doing, they are doing it quietly.

Yes, they did have curtains up the entire length of one of the floors, but we heard a lot of construction noises echoing through the Grand Canyon concourse.

If I had to guess, they were doing work on the floors in the halls.

We were back there not even a week later, and the curtains are down, but the elevator is still in use. They must be working in the rooms now.

In addition to the perforations on the front for the driver to see through....these floats apparently have trailer hitches on the back too.

I went back and looked at the photos again- it looks like there's a hitch on the front and back of each float.

TCD

Argh! It's the abomination: Feb2013218_zps4b1edb13.jpg TCD

I guess Walt wanted the campground to feel remote and put it on the edge of the property not realizing that one day a towering behemoth would be staring down on it. Now this remote location is not as advantageous. Heck it even impacts the Contemporary, BLT, and I remember seeing it from the monorail between the Floridan and MK. Is no where sacred and more?

Do you know that Disney still has not announced what this space will be?

I say it's going to include a Rapunzel meet and greet.

We will soon find out if I'm right.

TCD

I agree.

I also think that Michael and whatsherface SMB.

So do out of date vhs cameras.

Great pictures.

1. I watched a special On Disney once and they talked about the "pucks" in the ground that the float drivers got their cues from about their position and speed. I watch to much tv.

2. When is MSB and Splash Mountain schedules to reopen? We are going to be there in May and want to do the all the mountains in one day. And I've never had a Disney cinnamon roll.

I have also spent hours in a rocking chair across from TSI-not bad at all, It's shady with lots of people to watch, especially those stupid enough to try and sit and eat a turkey leg with all those cranes lurking.

And for those of you who have never had a MSB cinnamon roll-the Gaston cinnamon roll is wonderful and does not SMB.

Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Video camera guy and family are DB's. Ok well not the kid, it's not the kid's fault the parents make bonehead moves like that.

The only problem is, that kid will grow up thinking that barging in front of others to get what you want is perfectly OK.

You should have muttered something low enough so he didn't hear it but loud enough so it would come out on his movie to let him know his rudeness wasn't appreciated.

Your poor daughter. I hope his pits weren't too smelly.

Good catch on the secret driver compartments. The hitches must be there so they can drag them around backstage without a driver.

You're right, you can't pull the thug look off very well. Particularly when surrounded by those 2 sweet faces.

However, you do rock a Gator hoodie!

hey it does take a Manly man to pull off the princess purse, or hat.

DSCN0201_zps64d40e57.jpg

BTW that is hubs. The crankiest man ever to wear pink Mickey ears.

Very manly and adorable... however, maybe the pink ears are WHY he is cranky. :))

Have you seen the movie The Help? Maybe if Dave doesn't behave his pie does get the secret ingredient.

TCD

)

I have read the book.... twice. This post nearly caused me to choke on my own spit. :rofl2:

Believe it or not... I have no words. (except that Dave better mind his P's and Q's)

Yeah. And they are ROOM TEMPERATURE!

I'm not saying the Gaston cinnamon rolls are awful.

But they are not even close to as good as the Main Street Bakery cinnamon rolls.

Have you ever had one of those Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls right out of the oven?

And then have you ever had one after it had cooled and sat around for a while?

That's the difference between Gaston's and Main Street Bakery.

Ashamedly, I have not had a cinnamon roll at the BAkery nor Gaston's. I only know how big they are, not how hot. Apparently it makes a big difference.

I guess Walt wanted the campground to feel remote and put it on the edge of the property not realizing that one day a towering behemoth would be staring down on it. Now this remote location is not as advantageous. Heck it even impacts the Contemporary, BLT, and I remember seeing it from the monorail between the Floridan and MK. Is no where sacred and more?

The other thing Walt wanted in Florida was to control all the land surrounding the theme parks. He hated what happened in California, where all kinds of stuff popped up and surrounded Disneyland.

The idiots who are in charge now don't care about the future. Like all businesses these days, it's just about how to make a quick buck.

So, when they had a chance to sell of a chunk of prime land to a company with deep pockets, they didn't blink. They took the money and ran.

And now we have this.

Forever.

I agree.

I also think that Michael and whatsherface SMB.

So do out of date vhs cameras.

Thanks.

And I agree.

Great pictures.

1. I watched a special On Disney once and they talked about the "pucks" in the ground that the float drivers got their cues from about their position and speed. I watch to much tv.

2. When is MSB and Splash Mountain schedules to reopen? We are going to be there in May and want to do the all the mountains in one day. And I've never had a Disney cinnamon roll.

I have heard about these pucks too. But, has anyone actually seen one? I had a friend who went on one of the tours, and he said that the floats were controlled by sensors that look like a piece of discarded chewing gum. I think that's a bunch of bull. The poor guy was up and down Main Street looking for these sensors. He also said that there are speakers behind some of the Main Street windows and they open and close as the parade floats come by.

I think MSB is closed until the summer. I'm not sure if they announced a specific reopen date.

I don't know about the Splash reopen date either, but I think this was just a general sprucing up. I'll bet it reopens soon.

I also heard the pucks cue the onboard music on the floats.

Is there onboard music?

I think the music plays from speakers along the route, and that they are cued by the floats.

But I'm not sure about that.

And where the heck are these pucks? Have you ever seen one?

I have also spent hours in a rocking chair across from TSI-not bad at all, It's shady with lots of people to watch, especially those stupid enough to try and sit and eat a turkey leg with all those cranes lurking.

And for those of you who have never had a MSB cinnamon roll-the Gaston cinnamon roll is wonderful and does not SMB.

Maybe ignorance is bliss.

There have been reports of hot cinnamon rolls in Gaston's. If you had one, then you were lucky. I keep trying, and all we get are ones that are barely warm. I'm going to stop trying pretty soon.

By the way....I spent some time analyzing that second tablet...and based upon what I can see that isn't covered up by the first tablet, I believe the 12th commandment is:

תתן הכבוד דייב בטנסי, והדיבר לא לקחת את התחת של הקוף לשווא.

Wow.

So there are a dozen commandments?

All this time nobody has known about the last two.

And I certainly did not know about #12.

I have violated it many times.

This will be a tough one for me.

Video camera guy and family are DB's. Ok well not the kid, it's not the kid's fault the parents make bonehead moves like that.

The only problem is, that kid will grow up thinking that barging in front of others to get what you want is perfectly OK.

You should have muttered something low enough so he didn't hear it but loud enough so it would come out on his movie to let him know his rudeness wasn't appreciated.

Your poor daughter. I hope his pits weren't too smelly.

Good catch on the secret driver compartments. The hitches must be there so they can drag them around backstage without a driver.

You're right, you can't pull the thug look off very well. Particularly when surrounded by those 2 sweet faces.

However, you do rock a Gator hoodie!

Thanks. But, after seeing that photo, I am going to leave the hood down from now on.

I have read the book.... twice. This post nearly caused me to choke on my own spit. :rofl2:

Believe it or not... I have no words. (except that Dave better mind his P's and Q's)

Awesome. I read the book too. It is much better than the movie.

I will have to let Dave know about the secret ingredient so he knows not to mess with you.

Ashamedly, I have not had a cinnamon roll at the BAkery nor Gaston's. I only know how big they are, not how hot. Apparently it makes a big difference.

Yes, there was a big difference between the two.

But, as BFM says above, it doesn't matter anymore.

There aren't going to be any more Main Street ones to compare to Gaston's, so nobody is going to care.

At least that's the plan.

No, I think it might have been the veil tickling his flat top. Lol

Or maybe the tiara clashing with his blackberry. It's all about the accessories.

Oh.

So, he needs a matching bag?

He's going to be even grumpier.

TCD