TCD's February 2013 Limited Time Magic TR

Float Facts:

The sensors in question are along the parade route and are about the size of a nickle. They would look like gum on the ground to someone who didnt know better and will have a few (2 or 3) in close proximinty to each other. They look like "gum" as the sealant they used after installing them is gooey and had that appearnace. Its not intentional that they look like gum, its just how they turned out.

This system is no longer used as it had a lot of problems. you will now notice CMs walking along side the parade with radios. They are talking to the float drivers and relaying the info needed to detremine speed, obstacles, etc. The same info the sensor system would provide. They use landmarks and wheel rotations to determine when and how to make a turn.

The sound for the parades are synced and played from speakers along the route as well as the float iteslf. If you look at the second story of the bldgs while the parade (or any MS show is going on) you can see the open windows where the speakers are.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can anybody use these relief areas, or are they just for service dogs?

I finished your post Kim.

Dave has a memorable smile and besides if one listens to the wisdom of the FF they know to "stay off the damn buses." No one says avoid the photo pass photographers.

Float Facts:

The sensors in question are along the parade route and are about the size of a nickle. They would look like gum on the ground to someone who didnt know better and will have a few (2 or 3) in close proximinty to each other. They look like "gum" as the sealant they used after installing them is gooey and had that appearnace. Its not intentional that they look like gum, its just how they turned out.

This system is no longer used as it had a lot of problems. you will now notice CMs walking along side the parade with radios. They are talking to the float drivers and relaying the info needed to detremine speed, obstacles, etc. The same info the sensor system would provide. They use landmarks and wheel rotations to determine when and how to make a turn.

The sound for the parades are synced and played from speakers along the route as well as the float iteslf. If you look at the second story of the bldgs while the parade (or any MS show is going on) you can see the open windows where the speakers are.

The floats move by pixie dust.

Well, I thought Devores knew what he was talking about until FWG came along and set us straight.

LOL.

I guess my friend wasn't pulling my leg about the sensors looking like ABC gum. When people mentioned pucks, I was thinking of something like a hockey puck, not something the size of a nickel.

It looks like the windows opening to play music is true too. I have looked before, and haven't noticed this, but I will keep looking.

I think a lot of guests take for granted all the effort that goes in to a parade or other show.

TCD

Well, you can't say I didn't warn you.

This is a Limited Time Magic trip report.

And we are about out of magic.

This is the last update.

Looking at the photos left in the bucket, there might have been enough to make two updates.

But why prolong this?

So here we go.

As you might remember, we were on the monorail to Epcot.

The last time we were on this monorail, Test Track was still under construction.

Now it's open for business:

Feb2013228_zps73480d4f.jpg

We knew we had no chance of riding that today.

As we continued around the loop, we could see that some of the big flower beds for next month's Flower and Garden Festival are in place. The official Disney hype machine wants you to think that this is all done in one night. The truth is, it takes them weeks to do it all. And they start early. If you look down there by the flowers, you can see the area where they have had a big sand sculpture the past couple of years is fenced off. I guess some sand will be delivered here soon:

Feb2013229_zpsd1677490.jpg

Here is the required golf ball shot. There were not yet any new Flower and Garden decoration in the entry area:

Feb2013232_zps99eb36bb.jpg

From the monorail, we saw that the new Oz playground was open.

We decided to head that way first.

These poles will soon be covered with canvas, and a big butterfly garden will be installed inside. The girls heard somewhere that the Bambi theme, which was used the past few years, is out the window. I'm not sure what the new theme will be, but something new would be good:

Feb2013233_zpsacbab9b0.jpg

I love these giant flower beds. You can see the new Oz tents over there on the right:

Feb2013234_zps13c5be35.jpg

This is the entry to the Oz playground:

Feb2013235_zpsc2ee1984.jpg

And here is an Oz sign:

Feb2013236_zpscaf0ede3.jpg

They have some very lame carnival style games to play here. And, you can see from these photos that they spared no expense. Here is the ring toss which they made with coke bottles stolen from the Ice Station Cool:

Feb2013237_zps791bb85a.jpg

None of us got a single ring on one of the bottles.

But it doesn't matter.

This is Disney.

Everyone gets a prize.

And we were each awarded a DIY yellow brick road kit:

Feb2013241_zpsf414fd4e.jpg

Next we got to enjoy some fun house mirrors. Very classy. I wish I had a photo of me showing long skinny legs, but I just have one of the girls:

Feb2013242_zpse419807e.jpg

I know what you're thinking.

You're thinking you need to get to Epcot ASAP, right?

Well, you haven't even seen it all yet.

There's also a bean bag toss:

Feb2013244_zps83e8e9fa.jpg

And everyone gets a prize there too:

Feb2013248_zps197a532b.jpg

Wow that was fun!

Disney knows how to do it right.

I guess this stuff will be here for the whole Flower and Garden Festival.

I hope these tents are sturdier than they look:

Feb2013249_zps497c132a.jpg

The next new thing down the path is a big playground.

They have some new fancy flowers along the path here:

Feb2013250_zps90163f9f.jpg

Feb2013252_zps8fe5f522.jpg

If you want to know more about the flowers, you can check out the artists' website:

Feb2013251_zpsa3f2109d.jpg

I haven't checked that out yet. If anyone does, please report back if you find out anything interesting.

Here we are at the playground.

It looks pretty nice:

Feb2013253_zps20fe4698.jpg

The grass is fake.

And very cushioned.

So that's nice.

They have a couple of tents with chairs for the parents to relax in while the kids play. That is a good idea. Except nobody is guarding the entrance to this place. That is not a good idea. Anyway, here's a chair in the parent's area:

Feb2013255_zps9ab3750c.jpg

It needs to be just a little bit longer:

Feb2013257_zps1179e4d4.jpg

The playground is a nice touch.

There were a lot of kids on it, so I think it will be a hit.

The playground even has a Yellow Brick Road:

Feb2013259_zpsdc8e38b5.jpg

As you approach the playground from the other direction, you see this:

Feb2013261_zps2b137495.jpg

I think that was well done.

You know what?

I don't know what this movie is about.

I think it's a prequel to the movie that we all know.

But, I am sorry to say that it has the flying monkeys in it:

Feb2013262_zpsc1f83c01.jpg

Those things used to scare the crap out of me!

Which is pretty ridiculous when you look at them.

This is the sign that they have by the path that leads in from the World Showcase:

Feb2013263_zps245cf01b.jpg

They have a yellow brick road out here too:

Feb2013264_zps249ea0fc.jpg

This is how the sign looks as you walk in:

Feb2013265_zps76258b63.jpg

You can see the sand sculpture area behind the Z in that last photo.

I guess these will be merchandise kiosks once the Flower and Garden Festival starts:

Feb2013266_zpsee420a4b.jpg

I didn't see any signs of the new food kiosks that have been announced.

I imagine they will be showing up soon.

Here's another look at the big flower beds:

Feb2013267_zpsdaac7205.jpg

This is the big flower bed that you see as you first enter the World Showcase. In the past, there have been big topiaries, or last year, a vegetable garden, here. So far it's just flowers:

Feb2013268_zps09195308.jpg

Remember those big flower beds we just looked at?

Some more of those will be going here. I'll bet really soon:

Feb2013269_zpsdb2890b9.jpg

It turns out that it was pretty crowded in Epcot. We checked the tip board, and saw that everything had a long wait.

So, we walked through Innoventions, and then decided it was time to go.

We took the monorail back to the TTC:

Feb2013272_zpsb4c7250e.jpg

And that is my last photo from this trip.

From the TTC, we took the monorail to the Polynesian, ate dinner at Captain Cooks, and then headed on home.

We didn't feel bad about leaving.

Because we would be back soon.

As in later the same week.

So, this trip report is over.

But there will be another one for you to start reading real soon.

Like probably tomorrow.

So, I won't even say goodbye.

TCD

TCD,

I have read this whole trip report today!!!

Thanks for posting it! It was fun to follow along on your fun day trips. You sure can pack it in.

I noticed you asked on your last report about when I was going to post my report from last summer........I will......or at least I will get the Crater Lake pics up.

Looking forward to the next one you are starting tomorrow!

Heidi

You know what?

I don't know what this movie is about.

I think it's a prequel to the movie that we all know.

But, I am sorry to say that it has the flying monkeys in it:

Feb2013262_zpsc1f83c01.jpg

Those things used to scare the crap out of me!

Which is pretty ridiculous when you look at them.

new-poster-for-oz-the-great-and-powerful-120644-470-75_zps41c8c752.jpg

Check out the one on the far right, scares the crap out of me. I like the one in your picture way better.

I bet after a couple beers I could make those flowers in about 45 minutes. 4 days???? Really? And the guy couldn't make something that at least looked like a real flower in 4 days?

AGR (another great report)!

Regarding the speakers on Main Street, I've seen them close on several occasions. The easiest is after Wishes! finishes. They play that slow song and then they begin to close. Hang around sometime and I'm sure you'll see them. It's pretty cool.

Another great report. I tried to get some pics of the playground area from the monorail but most of them did not turn out.

Looking forward to the Pop/5k report!

Thanks, Aaron.

LOL about your from the monorail pics. Same thing happened to me. Most of what I got was a reflection of me taking the photos.

I won't say good bye either.

See you tomorrow.

Thanks for bringing us on this trip.

Thanks for reading.

I hope you enjoy the next one too.

TCD,

I have read this whole trip report today!!!

Thanks for posting it! It was fun to follow along on your fun day trips. You sure can pack it in.

I noticed you asked on your last report about when I was going to post my report from last summer........I will......or at least I will get the Crater Lake pics up.

Looking forward to the next one you are starting tomorrow!

Heidi

Thanks, Heidi.

I would love to see those Crater Lake photos!

new-poster-for-oz-the-great-and-powerful-120644-470-75_zps41c8c752.jpg

Check out the one on the far right, scares the crap out of me. I like the one in your picture way better.

Whoa!

I do not like that other monkey one bit.

Thanks about the Oz playground report. Thanks for posting the ground is soft. I have a pet peeve with Disney and soft play area ground. (see my TR if you need any questions answered).

Yes, it would be nice to have some of this soft stuff under the Fort playgrounds.

I remember what happened to you poor daughter. I hope she is all healed up now.

I love your trip reports and read them all, but I need some more food pictures. Those of us that can't eat delicious Disney food year round need to live vicariously through you. If you could do an entire trip report of food, that would be great! (please?!)

I know a lot of people love food photos. I will try to do better taking some. I actually have a few to share in the next report.

I bet after a couple beers I could make those flowers in about 45 minutes. 4 days? ??? Really? And the guy couldn't make something that at least looked like a real flower in 4 days?

Well that's the difference between you and an artist. That and skill.

7370549110_d4c552a8b2.jpg

At least they painted it since it was Merida's playground...

Ha!

I thought that equipment looked familiar.

But they did a good job with the themeing in this area.

I guess next year it will be the Lone Ranger, or whatever the next big thing is.

Are there any children out there who don't get the crap scared out of them by those flying monkeys? Well, I'm assuming it was when you were a kid.

Thanks for the report :)

For sure I was scared of those flying monkeys as a kid.

I'm not sure if I still am. I haven't seen the Wizard of Oz in a while.

AGR (another great report)!

Regarding the speakers on Main Street, I've seen them close on several occasions. The easiest is after Wishes! finishes. They play that slow song and then they begin to close. Hang around sometime and I'm sure you'll see them. It's pretty cool.

Thanks, Brent.

I didn't think about them using the speakers for Wishes. I will take a look the next time I'm there.

TCD