The TCD Gang Runs Disney-2013 Princess Half Marathon Weekend TR

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

totally could have done without the visual of Creepy Claus scratching his Christmas ornaments!

TCD running, there better be some photos.

Nope, not in with the twins. I'm not doubting that TCD ran it, I just want to see photos of it for blackmail evidence.

Let's take that detour real quick.

So, the 900 loop has been closed for a month and a half.

There must be something big going on back there.

Here we are at site 901. I know it well. We stayed here for Halloween, 2011.

Here's what I saw:

RoyalFamily5K2013453_zps90b0cdeb.jpg

You see anything new?

Neither did I.

The old fake stump is still there. Same water lines. Same everything.

No electric work on the site number posts:

RoyalFamily5K2013454_zps2d30becc.jpg

I looked at the next site. At first, I didn't see anything new here either. Then I noticed some conduit sticking up there on the back left side of the slab:

RoyalFamily5K2013455_zps463dd9dc.jpg

Here we go, this is something:

RoyalFamily5K2013456_zpsf60aab73.jpg

But this took a month and a half?

Armadillo! :

RoyalFamily5K2013458_zpsc3b382c3.jpg

There was a pile of sand on the next site:

RoyalFamily5K2013459_zpsb4b53252.jpg

Here on site 905, it looked like it had been dug up all around the perimeter. Also, the slab was all scraped up:

RoyalFamily5K2013460_zps15eae921.jpg

They have a bunch of pine needles ready to spread:

RoyalFamily5K2013461_zpsa5a2013f.jpg

And here's one more look at an empty site 905. I haven't seen in empty in well over four years:

RoyalFamily5K2013463_zps52b08f93.jpg

That's it.

That's all I saw in the 900 loop.

I don't get it.

What is taking so long?

Why are they digging up around the slabs and scraping the tops of them?

I don't know.

Time to move on with the rest of the walk.

TCD

Congrats to TCD daughter #1! Out of state tuition paid is a big deal (plus a job too, wow!). Our college search is underway and we have serious sticker shock on out of state tuition. Especially since DD17 could get the HOPE scholarship in state...

I love the tour! I am so looking forward to being back at the Fort for Spring Break! Yay!

Congrats to Daughter #1!

TCD, you are a wealth of information. I'm learning so many things about the fort with your TR despite having stayed there 15-20 times.

We did get to experience River Country, but my big regret is not seeing the train.

Thanks, I am glad you are learning something.

River Country and Discovery Island were both still open when we first began to visit the Fort. Sadly, the train was long gone. I never got to ride it, but Mrs. TCD did as a child.

Truth be told, I don't think we missed much.

Congrats to TCD daughter #1! Out of state tuition paid is a big deal (plus a job too, wow!). Our college search is underway and we have serious sticker shock on out of state tuition. Especially since DD17 could get the HOPE scholarship in state...

I love the tour! I am so looking forward to being back at the Fort for Spring Break! Yay!

I guess the HOPE scholarships in Georgia are similar to the Bright Futures scholarships in Florida. No way would I pay for out-of-state tuition for undergrad. For grad school, though, Bright Futures doesn't apply.

That's great that you're heading back to the Fort for Spring Break. Enjoy!

Congrats to Daughter #1!!! Good for her!!!

I love all the Fort Photos! Can't wait to get the entire family back there ASAP! Yes, I know I was just there for WWW, but we didn't really get to explore the Fort. It was freezing and toooooo windy out much of the time.... and we were also busy being wild.

I hope you get the whole family back soon. It's crazy that WWW was so cold, and the very next weekend had temps in the high 80's.

Congratulations to your daughter and to y'all for running the marathon! Enjoying your tour of the fort, it's interesting that it doesn't take nearly as long as people say to get around.

Thanks. I can't take credit for the marathon, though, we just did the 5K.

It is interesting how easy it is to walk around the Fort. But, it would get old having to go everywhere on foot.

Great news for DD1. Wow FL, FSU, AU you are making the tour.

Enjoying the walking tour. I love seeing things as I remember them and some new stuff too!

Thanks. The second half of 2013 is going to get real interesting for us.

Glad you like the walking tour. Especially since we have a ways to go!

TCD

Let's move on with our walk.

I cut through the back of site 905, and walked out to Fort Wilderness Trail and turned left, past the 600 loop entrance, and headed toward the 800 loop.

You can see the 800 loop bus stop in the background of this photo, just past the dude with the love handles and green socks. Hey dude, I have love handles too. Nobody wants to see yours. Do us all a favor and mix in a shirt. And what's up with those socks? The Royal Family 5K was yesterday. Please wear your regular clothes now. Thanks:

RoyalFamily5K2013464_zpse434e24b.jpg

As you may know, the 600 loop was expanded four years ago to add a bunch more sites. Some of those new sites back up to the Fishin' hole. Those are nice. The others back up to Fort Wilderness Trail. Like this one. This tent sits about 10' from the sidewalk:

RoyalFamily5K2013465_zps9e20547e.jpg

If you haven't guessed already, we are heading to the walkway across from the 800 loop that cuts through the 600 loop and leads to the bridge to the campfire area. You can find it here, next to site 617:

RoyalFamily5K2013466_zps0629cb7a.jpg

Today, 617 has a very interesting rig parked on it:

RoyalFamily5K2013467_zpsf84b2535.jpg

These folks have a nice RV, but don't seem to be campers:

RoyalFamily5K2013468_zps8a204be1.jpg

Lucky for them they got stuck in this site with the sidewalk next to it.

Here we are at the 600 loop footbridge. That's the projection building for the campfire that you see in the background:

RoyalFamily5K2013469_zpsdd934f4b.jpg

Remember those Fishin' Hole photos from a few posts back? We are here again, but this time we are on the other side. That's the Meadow Trading Post across the way, and the Bike Barn there on the left:

RoyalFamily5K2013470_zpsdc18c06d.jpg

This is the campfire area. Man, I have a lot of fun memories from here:

RoyalFamily5K2013471_zpse2065d39.jpg

I turned to snap a photo of the bridge. I just love walking across this bridge. This is why a walking tour is great- you can't drive a cart across it:

RoyalFamily5K2013472_zpse3569959.jpg

It is now 7:30 am. We've only been on our tour for 30 minutes, and we've covered a lot of ground. The sun should be rising by now, and we should see lots of blue Florida sky. The sun was not cooperating this morning:

RoyalFamily5K2013473_zps4163e335.jpg

Now we are walking past the campfire area. The cement around the fire rings was added in the past couple of years, as have the rocks piled up around the rings. These are good improvements:

RoyalFamily5K2013474_zps968fa66e.jpg

Here are the Chuckwagon and projection building, and the bleachers. None of this has changed in all the time I've been visiting the Fort, and I hope it never does:

RoyalFamily5K2013475_zps12315afa.jpg

The little stage that you see to the left of the screen in this photo is where the sing-a-long takes place every night. In a recent trip report, I posted a photo of the sad condition of the canvas screen that they roll up and down in front of the stage. As you can see that problem has been fixed by just ditching the screen:

RoyalFamily5K2013476_zps0552aad9.jpg

True Fiends will recognize the fellow in the orange vest as Victor, a long time FW castmember.

I'm sure that you noticed a lot of bare trees in the photos I posted. I've already mentioned the fact that it's winter. Well, this cypress tree near the 1400 loop comfort station is telling us that spring is about to spring:

RoyalFamily5K2013478_zps170da3cc.jpg

RoyalFamily5K2013479_zpsa308a1a2.jpg

We are now heading out and around the 1400 loop. The TCD gang used to camp on this loop exclusively back in the day:

RoyalFamily5K2013480_zps48d13f7d.jpg

Here we are already walking up to the 1400 loop bus stop:

RoyalFamily5K2013481_zps4999dbc4.jpg

This is the playground area at the 1400 loop entrance. There used to be real playground equipment here. Now, there's just the tetherball and that weird ball thing you see over there:

RoyalFamily5K2013482_zps11fb0489.jpg

This is the 1400 loop bus stop. I'm walking up here to take a photo of something funny:

RoyalFamily5K2013483_zpsbf375b5b.jpg

The something funny is missing. It used to be on this drink machine:

RoyalFamily5K2013484_zps24748f54.jpg

Dang it!

It's missing.

I had to pull this from the TCD archives:

IMG_2591.jpg

That sign used to be on that drink machine.

Now it's not.

That stinks.

It's OK, though.

The candy and snacks on the second floor weren't ever anything special.

By the way, even though the removal of the second floor candy and snack offerings from the 1400 loop bus stop is new, that is not one of the two bad developments I mentioned earlier. We still haven't gotten to the first one. But we are getting closer.

Here we are heading toward the bridge over the canal that runs between the 1400 and 500 and 600 loops (squirrel) :

RoyalFamily5K2013485_zpse7a9319a.jpg

Now we are on the bridge looking down on that canal. Look at how those campers down there have their tent way off the back of their site. What a beautiful place to camp! Right next to the emerald green slime:

RoyalFamily5K2013486_zps19e06ff0.jpg

That scene is so lovely, it deserves two photos:

RoyalFamily5K2013487_zpseede6d0b.jpg

As soon as we walk over the bridge, you can see the dog park over there to the right:

RoyalFamily5K2013488_zpsf61fce19.jpg

There are already some customers enjoying it this morning. The raised area that you see going right through the park is the path of the old FWRR. The trains would head out in to the wilderness here, and come out by the 1500 loop:

RoyalFamily5K2013489_zpsca5c6a09.jpg

The 300 loop playground is right over there. This is the biggest playground in the Fort. It used to have swings, but those got removed a couple of years ago. This used to be called the Fort Apache playground. As you can see, however, there is no longer any Fort or any reference to Native Americans:

RoyalFamily5K2013490_zps9f2172c9.jpg

Here we are at the entrance to the 500 loop. This is the last site on the loop. It sits just a few feet from the sidewalk:

RoyalFamily5K2013491_zps205d58c4.jpg

There's the 500 loop bus stop and the sign for the loop. The 500 loop is currently called Buffalo Bend. Its original name was Tupelo Trail. Then it was changed to Terry Trail for the Terry travel trailers that used to be rented on this loop. When the Terry trailers were removed, they didn't go back to Tupelo, but instead went with Buffalo. I can't tell you why:

RoyalFamily5K2013492_zpsd3992e28.jpg

We will cross the street here and head in to the 300 loop. We are heading to my favorite place in the Fort:

RoyalFamily5K2013493_zpsa2c30da2.jpg

Try to keep up.

TCD

Hey-

I just discovered something when I was posting that last update.

That photo of the tent on the 1400 loop next to the slime reminded me of something.

This:

newfortphoto.jpg

Remember that?

That's the new photo on the Disney website.

It's supposed to be somewhere in Fort Wilderness.

There was some discussion a while back about whether or not there was anyplace in Fort Wilderness that looked like that.

I think everyone agreed that there was a lot of photoshopping involved.

Even with photoshop, I was still doubtful that the photo showed an actual campsite in the Fort.

Now, I'm not so sure:

RoyalFamily5K2013487_zpseede6d0b.jpg

What do you think?

Could it be?

TCD

On our New Years trip we ran a test. Dear Son and I left the outpost on foot and Shardi and the rest of the family hopped the first bus that came. We were in the 700 loop. We made it to the camper 3 minutes after the rest of the family. That is a long walk because we were almost at the exit end of the 700 loop.

The 900 loop. When we were there on the Mardi Gras trip, I made several passes through the 900 loop walking the dogs. They were pulling all the old wire out of the conduits and replacing with new, larger gauge wire. They were also changing out the transformers and main distribution panels.

That tent picture looks to me to be across the canal close to where the old cabin is where the old bon fire site was. What was it called? The Marsh Mallow pit? All of that history is way before any of my visits.

Loving this tour! I can't wait to get back down there.

I don't think your photo and the Disney one are from the same area. I do think the Disney one is from an actual loop, I just cannot figure out which one, but agree that it has been doctored up a bit.

Why did you used to stay in 1400 exclusively? Proximity to the movie?

Mix in a shirt. You crack me up.

The crazy sock thing. Lacrosse introduced them in our parts, kids began wearing them to school, and now they have become a trend. My son had me get him some, even though he plays baseball. But, he is 10. That dude needs to put some regular grown up socks on.

This tour is great. It has shown me I do not want to camp next to glowing green snot canal water. I will be using our FF app to check out where the site is that they want to assign to us. I will be very picky now.

Another great update.....the faded canvas was still on the stage when I was there.

I love that footbridge too. It was very enjoyable to hang out on for a couple minutes during the pre-dawn hour.

Still wondering what the two things are that SMB and if I noticed them or not when I was there.

On our New Years trip we ran a test. Dear Son and I left the outpost on foot and Shardi and the rest of the family hopped the first bus that came. We were in the 700 loop. We made it to the camper 3 minutes after the rest of the family. That is a long walk because we were almost at the exit end of the 700 loop.

The 900 loop. When we were there on the Mardi Gras trip, I made several passes through the 900 loop walking the dogs. They were pulling all the old wire out of the conduits and replacing with new, larger gauge wire. They were also changing out the transformers and main distribution panels.

That tent picture looks to me to be across the canal close to where the old cabin is where the old bon fire site was. What was it called? The Marsh Mallow pit? All of that history is way before any of my visits.

That was a long walk! Pretty impressive that you almost beat the bus. In most cases, I think the bus would still be faster, but there is something very enjoyable about talking in the atmosphere of the Fort on foot.

Based on your report, and what others have said, it appears that all that is going on in the 900 loop is electric related. They seem to be replacing and upgrading every bit of the system.

Marsh Mallow pit?

LOL!

It was Marshmallow Marsh. Not pit. Whoever heard of a marshmallow pit? Whatever it's called, you could be right about the location. The canal is much clearer there. If that is where they took the photo, it's misleading because there aren't any campsites there.

Loving this tour! I can't wait to get back down there.

I don't think your photo and the Disney one are from the same area. I do think the Disney one is from an actual loop, I just cannot figure out which one, but agree that it has been doctored up a bit.

Why did you used to stay in 1400 exclusively? Proximity to the movie?

Mix in a shirt. You crack me up.

The crazy sock thing. Lacrosse introduced them in our parts, kids began wearing them to school, and now they have become a trend. My son had me get him some, even though he plays baseball. But, he is 10. That dude needs to put some regular grown up socks on.

Oh, so that guy must be from Jax.

This colored knee socks on dudes thing hasn't taken off over here on the west coast of Florida.

This tour is great. It has shown me I do not want to camp next to glowing green snot canal water. I will be using our FF app to check out where the site is that they want to assign to us. I will be very picky now.

I wouldn't worry about the slime. It won't hurt you. I'd rather camp next to that than a road.

This walking tour is a great mid march fort fix (mmff). Thanks for letting us tripse along and enjoying the insightful commentary as usual. Too bad Captain Lou doesn't read TRs, this one is a great one.

Thanks. Glad to provide the fix. The walk itself gave me a nice fix too.

I'm loving the walking tour and the history lesson.

What is up with that green slime? Is it always like that?

That stretch of the canal usually is like that.

It is not slime. It is actually:

"Lemnoideae, also known as Duckweeds, or water lentils, are aquatic plants which float on or just beneath the surface of still or slow-moving fresh water bodies and wetlands. Wikipedia"

Very good.

Duck weed.

Slime is a good name for it too.

Still yuck

Yes. Yuck.

Does the green slime smell?

No, not really.

Not any worse than Philly.

I'm kidding.

I'm kidding.

It really doesn't smell.

Didn't someone write in their trip report last year about turning over in a canoe and getting covered with this stuff? And how it sticks to everything?

Yes, I think it was the Troll…….

Very good, FP4.

It was the Troll.

I couldn't think of who it was.

But, it was definitely him.

TCD

Another great update.....the faded canvas was still on the stage when I was there.

I love that footbridge too. It was very enjoyable to hang out on for a couple minutes during the pre-dawn hour.

Still wondering what the two things are that SMB and if I noticed them or not when I was there.

I am hoping that the faded canvas is being replaced. But, based on the way things go around the Fort, I am not going to hold my breath.

The first of the SMB things is going to be covered in the next update, which will be posted this afternoon.

TCD

Philly does stink! We walk about 3 blocks to get the DS' allergist. There is some smell that comes up the vents in the sidewalk that has me gagging thinking about it.

I know Philly stinks!

I wasn't kidding about that.

I was kidding about the slime duckweed not stinking as bad as Philly.

I remember a few years back, I took the TCD girls to Philly and Joisey to see where the old man grew up.

It was shocking just leaving the airport.

I think when you live there, you get used to it. When you come back and see it, it's unbelievable. Same thing with all that oil refinery stuff you see on the way to NYC. It's unreal.

TCD