A Quick Dole Whip with Rum and Rapunzel Restrooms TCD TR (NBD)

The TCD gang squeezed in a day trip to WDW on 3/17/13. We have been super busy lately, and have to go when we can.

Spring Break is coming up, and for the first time in a long time, there will be no Fort stay for us.

We headed East at around 8:20 am, and arrived at WDW a little after 10. We stopped for a quick bite of breakfast at the WL.

Spring has sprung there:

31713002_zps55710709.jpg

31713003_zpsa58eb727.jpg

The twins decided to take the bus to Epcot, while I moved our car to the Epcot parking lot.

They saw this CM at the WL bus stop. He was tracking all of the buses. It seemed like his job was to reassure guests that their buses would be here soon. We've never seen that before:

31713004_zps43c86da8.jpg

The girls got a few shots of the Fort from the bus.

Here are the horses:

31713009_zpsd39c29d0.jpg

And the Outpost Bus Stop:

31713010_zps45d0b800.jpg

You can see from that last shot and the next one that all of the pretty flowering plants around the sidewalk between the bus stop and the old kennel have been cut back. You can see that they are just starting to regrow. You can also see the stupid Four Season crane in this photo:

31713011_zpscc44da2f.jpg

The trail rides must have already begun for the day, as there were a lot of folks in that area:

31713012_zps0e757f7a.jpg

The Reception Outpost building:

31713013_zps2eece12c.jpg

We met back up at Epcot, and headed to Test Track to get Fastpasses.

Then, we headed to the old Wonders of Life pavilion, which is being used as the Flower and Garden Festival Headquarters:

31713014_zpsa87e86bf.jpg

Since this building is no longer used during regular operating times at Epcot, we had to go in and check on things.

They had some merchandise for sale in there and a few displays, but not much of interest.

They do offer seminars, and this one seemed to be very well attended. These folks were planting something in a flower pot:

31713015_zps705519d3.jpg

We didn't stay in the old Wonders of LIfe building for very long.

We picked up Festival guidemaps and passports in there, and headed outside to find a place to sit and study them.

Hey a butterfly! :

31713016_zps9e0b56e3.jpg

A butterfly and a duck butt:

31713018_zpsaef2c8a6.jpg

After studying the map, we decided that we would go see the butterfly garden and then head into the World Showcase to see some of the displays that were new this year.

We walked around the MouseGear building. They had a large playground area here:

31713020_zpsdeb02a8b.jpg

We had heard that there was a Radiator Springs area this year, but didn't know that it was here:

31713021_zps5428cdca.jpg

These topiaries have been used at past Flower and Garden Festivals, but they did a great job staging them here:

31713022_zpsad86cbcd.jpg

31713023_zps997bf7ca.jpg

It used to be a rare thing to see people using iPads as cameras. Now it's not:

31713024_zpsc59d7f43.jpg

KA-CHOW!:

31713025_zps185b8f0a.jpg

There was an interactive element to this display, There were "engine parts" hidden in the display:

31713026_zps3f4e52f4.jpg

I think the stuff hanging up here represents what we were supposed to look for in the display. As you can see, they took car parts and made them into things that you find in a garden:

31713027_zpsd986c12f.jpg

Look, another iPad photographer. Sheez!:

31713028_zps8e06e2b6.jpg

On the way to the butterfly garden, we passed by the Lion King topiaries. I wanted Twin #1 to hold up Twin #2 like Baby Simba, but they wouldn't cooperate:

31713030_zpsb85c517e.jpg

So, here we are at the butterfly house. For the first time in a long time, it's not Bambi themed:

31713031_zpsb7b19341.jpg

No deer, skunk or bunny this year. It's all fairies:

31713032_zpsd29f5972.jpg

31713033_zps3532fa92.jpg

You know what we didn't see a lot of in the butterfly house?

Butterflies.

I guess they're not done yet?

Maybe later?

The flowers outside looked great, though:

31713034_zps131b4d84.jpg

31713035_zps98b08c29.jpg

31713036_zpscc7b372f.jpg

There were a couple more fairies outside:

31713037_zps6aa22447.jpg

31713038_zps56f9e148.jpg

In past years, they had a Fairy meet and greet at Epcot for the Flower and Garden Festival. But not this year. Which is odd, since the butterfly garden is fairy themed.

We are at the photo limit for this post.

We will pick up in the next one as we enter the World Showcase and take a look at the featured topiaries at the World Showcase entrance.

TCD

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The TCD gang squeezed in a day trip to WDW on 3/17/13. We have been super busy lately, and have to go when we can. Spring Break is coming up, and for the first time in a long time, there will be no F

You had me at Dole whip with rum..... :suspense:

Aw gee, I felt sure you would get that one. FPBR = First page Bragging Rights!

It's great to get a preview of F&G before we get there! I'm really looking forward to it. So is youngest DD. She loves the fairies and butterflies, especially together. Maybe there will be more butterflies when we get there (3 weeks away!).

Am I really the first to comment, on a TCD Report?

Best Regards,

Norm

Yes.

You were first.

Bragging rights!

Woohoo! Another TCD tr.

Thanks for sharing some flower and garden pics. Looks like I can't make it this year and your reports are the next best thing.

It's too bad you can't make it this year.

I felt like they kind of skimped the past couple of years. It seemed like all they did was move around some of the topiaries. And some, they didn't even move. This year, there are a lot of new ones. And, of course, all the food and drink booths.

I wish we had more time to spend yesterday. I have a feeling it will be getting more crowded as word gets out.

Fairies do make more sense than bambi for the butterflies

I don't know.

There are butterflies in Bambi.

But, it was time for a change.

DW and I went during F&G a few times before kids. We always loved it.

Looking forward to more; especially and special food and drink while you wander the showcase.

More is on the way.

I have always preferred Food and Wine to Flower and Garden. But with the new changes, I'm not so sure.

You had me at Dole whip with rum..... :suspense:

Don't get too excited.

You need to wait until you hear my review.

All right!!! Made it on the first page.

DD11 would love to go during F&G.

Oh who am I kidding... she would love to go anytime. She's my smart one. Just don't let my other two know I said that. :rofl2:

Your DD is smart!

I won't tell the others what you said.

I'm in! FPBR!!

Editting to add (now that I have read the first installment):

Faceless fairies creep me out.

Kudos to the twins for Fort pictures from the bus. They look great and are much appreciated.

When do we got to the rum??

The rum is on the way. In the next update.

What is this FPBR? Maybe I don't want to know?

All In! FUEGO!

You are welcome to come along for the ride.

But, Por Favor, no Fuego.

It's great to get a preview of F&G before we get there! I'm really looking forward to it. So is youngest DD. She loves the fairies and butterflies, especially together. Maybe there will be more butterflies when we get there (3 weeks away!).

Yeah, I think there will be more butterflies. It's just the second week. There were a lot of cocoons in there.

:sleep:

Hey, wake up!

I know you've probably seen this all first hand.

But still.

TCD

I'm in.

My parents didn't see many butterflies either. Dad said he found some hanging out under leaves.

Oh! Another side note, thanks to your trip reports I was able to tell them not to be scared of by the lengthy line for BOG or the time that the CM's tell them. Parents said they would have never waited if it wasn't for me telling them it won't be the 45-60 mins they were told (it was 25) and explaining the process or ordering, finding your seat etc.

Hijacked concluded, for now.

1. When we were there in 2010, there was a guy tracking the busses at the Poly. At least, I guess he was tracking. I think he had a clipboard, and he told us when the next bus should arrive.

2. I agree. Faceless fairies creep me out.

So, in three years, they haven't made much progress. I thought this guy had some kind of computer tablet, but it was just a clipboard. He had a radio too.

But, really, what was he going to do? Could he make the buses come any faster?

I think he was just there to get yelled at by the guests.

Poor kid.

Faceless fairies?

Meh.

They don't freak me out.

Not like hippies do or anything.

I'm in... Butterflies and Booze... A great day !

I didn't really think of it in those terms, but you're right!

Whooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo!!!! I can't wait to hear about F&G!!!!

This was a real quick trip.

As you will see, we just scratched the surface.

We will find the time to go back (I hope) for a more thorough visit.

Does that bus-checking CM have a tail? He/She has an odd profile.

Tail?

I don't think so.

Do you mean a pony tail?

I see that in the photo:

31713004_zps43c86da8.jpg

But, that's an illusion. Here's a zoom:

cm_zps8bb2405f.jpg

That's just the bus mirror behind him.

I knew that we should have went to epcot yesterday. We could have encountered royalty.

Yeah, too bad.

And wait until you hear where we ate dinner.

I knew you were at the Fort, but this was a last minute trip, and we didn't really have a plan, so I couldn't arrange for any Fiend meet-ups this time.

Woohoo! Another TCD trip report!

We haven't seen many butterflies in the butterfly house the last two years. And the ones we did see weren't very interesting.

Did you go on one of the dates near the beginning of the F&G Show? I remember seeing a lot more butterflies, and I know we have gone to some of the dates later on in April and May.

I'm in.

My parents didn't see many butterflies either. Dad said he found some hanging out under leaves.

Oh! Another side note, thanks to your trip reports I was able to tell them not to be scared of by the lengthy line for BOG or the time that the CM's tell them. Parents said they would have never waited if it wasn't for me telling them it won't be the 45-60 mins they were told (it was 25) and explaining the process or ordering, finding your seat etc.

Hijacked concluded, for now.

Hey, you just made it on page 1!

Way to go.

Thanks for sharing that.

I'm glad to hear about folks benefiting from things they heard about on fortfiends.net.

Of course, if too many people learn of these secrets, then they won't work any more.

But, not many people read TCD TR's (compared to the thousands who visit the parks), so it's all good.

Did your parents like the food at BOG?

TCD

Did you go on one of the dates near the beginning of the F&G Show? I remember seeing a lot more butterflies, and I know we have gone to some of the dates later on in April and May.

In 2012 we were at WDW the first two weeks of March, but in 2011 we were there the end of April/first of May.