Eat Your Heart Out Marty McFly......AC's 1978-1989 Trip Back in Time (updates that go back to 1975 commenced on 3-12-15 )

Wow, it took me the last two days to go through this report but it was well worth it. Really enjoyed the old pictures, fun to see things the way they used to be, much of which I remember. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's head to the ole fashioned swimmin hole, shall we?   We start out with a classic Disney relic of the past:       I should stop right here and pick it up later.   Those pics deserve their own up

He's moving even slower than brown paint guy ...

And here we go:                       Do you remember this character experience?     Moving on in Future World:                         Was that a Commodore 64?   How about robot

Sorry for us it is still a half day park....

Thats because you skip the attractions that SMB.

I am ridiculously late to this party (as usual) and have to go back and pick through all this more closely, but I just wanted to say this is one freakin' sweet trip report!

We came late to the Fort but went to WDW in the mid-70s (well, just MK then) and these pics are bringing back some great memories.  :)

E6615D52-56A7-4A34-BAB9-752C2518182B-362

I don't suppose one of you tucked that map into your luggage?  Someone was trying to sell one of these on eBay a year or so ago for about $200k. 

530E4C86-9235-41C4-B868-44A9BFB077E0-362

Is it just me or were all the characters waaaaaaaaay skinnier back then?

These rafts were long gone before I ever visited Typhone Lagone:

BFD664D0-88A2-46BD-929C-96CB8260E5DC-362

That looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Probably too many guests got plowed over, so they had to go.

Too bad.

That would definitely be a whole day of excitement.

TCD

I didn't know the rafts were gone.  I havent been there since I was a kid.

Keep in mind, however, that at that time the Studios were only considered a half day park. That's when parkhoppers really made sense.

We usually spent a whole day there I believe...

If it was just me and DW there we could spend a whole day just walking back and forth between RRC and TOT.

I would submit that Hollywood Studios arrived as a great park the day the carrrot cake cookie was introduced. 

I have never had it.  I am not a carrot cake fan.

For shizzle.

I am scared right now.

Wow, it took me the last two days to go through this report but it was well worth it. Really enjoyed the old pictures, fun to see things the way they used to be, much of which I remember. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

No problem!

I am glad you enjoyed it.

Sorry for us it is still a half day park....

Depends on how often you go probably.

There are some things we see once in awhile, but don't feel like we need to do or see every trip.....so it ends up being that way for us too.

Thats because you skip the attractions that SMB.

Why subject yourself to anything that SMB? 

I attempt to skip those sort of things too......like the Honey I Shrunk.....and Boneyard play areas.

I am ridiculously late to this party (as usual) and have to go back and pick through all this more closely, but I just wanted to say this is one freakin' sweet trip report!

We came late to the Fort but went to WDW in the mid-70s (well, just MK then) and these pics are bringing back some great memories.  :)

Is it just me or were all the characters waaaaaaaaay skinnier back then?

Better late than never Mo.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

The characters were definitely different back then.

Winnie the Pooh and long-haired Tigger were just plain weird.

As were the guests. 

I think society as a whole was probably skinnier before all the processed foods.

MGM was for sure a half day park back then. But it was still fun. I really liked swimming in the lake at the Fort when I was a kid. I wish we still could.

I wish I could swim with the paramecium, euglena, and amoeba too.  

Maybe I can jump in the Auburn jello pond for my one-celled organism and bacteria fix.

Great report, Aaron. Lots of great family memories there. Can't wait to see the scans of the photos.

Thanks Brent.

I am hoping to grab those pics and get to work on it soon!

Great report Aaron thanks and thank your parents for letting you have use of these great photos, make sure you let them know how much WE all enjoyed them.

Thanks Rennie!

I told them how much the Fiends appreciate looking at the old pics.

Sad that it had to end. Great pictures!

Bring on Star Wars Land!!!!!!!!!

And how many of us survived the brain eating ameba? Or is that what's wrong with us?

Me too.

Hopefully I will have more old pics to post soon.

That could be what's wrong with the fiends.......perhaps the disney amoeba infect you with ideas of spending lots of money on the HDDR, dole whips, mickey ice cream bars, the karamel shop, popcorn, beers around the monorail or around the world, etc.

I am going to go with it being the Amoeba's fault in my case anyway.

I would have to agree with that somewhat. 

Just go ride the things you like for two half days, and then you will have a full day.

Great report Aaron...Thank You my brother !  

Thank you sir!

These rafts were long gone before I ever visited Typhone Lagone:

BFD664D0-88A2-46BD-929C-96CB8260E5DC-362

That looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Probably too many guests got plowed over, so they had to go.

Too bad.

That would definitely be a whole day of excitement.

TCD

You could definitely plow people over. They really let the waves roll then too. I remember riding those rafts all of the way into the beach. I also remember the denim fabric and bleeding raw nips from all day rafting..... Not fun afterwards.

Thats what we do. Half a day at DHS and half at AK. But we dont have kids so hopping to another park without breaks or downtime isnt a big deal for us. 

Makes sense.

We do the parks as if EVERY park is a half day park.  We almost always take a break after lunch back at the camper, and then hit another park in the evening.  The only park we would routinely go back to in the evening after spending the morning there is MK...so I guess that is our full day park. 

We are pretty much the same way.

You could definitely plow people over. They really let the waves roll then too. I remember riding those rafts all of the way into the beach. I also remember the denim fabric and bleeding raw nips from all day rafting..... Not fun afterwards.

TMI.

TCD

:rofl3: :hah: :rofl2:

• 11 months later...

In a nod to the trip report zen master himself, here come some bonus features.

I hope there will be some readers/comments.

This was a process to get this material so I hope you enjoy it.

Many of the pics are fuzzy/grainy and that is because they are screen caps from VHS video from 1989.

So enjoy the scenery, even though some of it is low quality.

My apologies in advance.

Hopefully, you will enjoy bits and pieces of it even though you may not like all of it.

Put another way, I don't like watching golf on TV, but I can appreciate certain golf shots here and there.

We will start out near the entrance of the MK. 

These are all bonus from our 1989 trip.

Without further ado, here we go!

IMG_7635_zps2d1a3039.jpg

IMG_7636_zps7d78d698.jpg

IMG_7637_zps383074e9.jpg

I bet the Friar was pitting.  It looks hot out.

IMG_7638_zpsc183c60e.jpg

IMG_7639_zps2521bfc4.jpg

IMG_7640_zps2304b3d0.jpg

IMG_7641_zpsdb1d9183.jpg

I love the cinema:

IMG_7642_zpsd415bc97.jpg

IMG_7643_zpsfe334db8.jpg

IMG_7644_zps4ebfad50.jpg

IMG_7645_zpsae304b28.jpg

In case you couldn't tell, we are riding the horse drawn trolley down Main Street.

Next update, TomorrowLand.

I can't promise an update will be done before Monday, because we have kids sports all weekend.  4 games and 2 practices in total.

Hopefully this was enough to wet your appetite for more.