Eat Your Heart Out Marty McFly......AC's 1978-1989 Trip Back in Time (updates that go back to 1975 commenced on 3-12-15 )

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's head to the ole fashioned swimmin hole, shall we?   We start out with a classic Disney relic of the past:       I should stop right here and pick it up later.   Those pics deserve their own up

He's moving even slower than brown paint guy ...

And here we go:                       Do you remember this character experience?     Moving on in Future World:                         Was that a Commodore 64?   How about robot

Don't you people have jobs? Geez, by the time I get around to this thread, the posts are in the 50s.

Aaron, you asked how could they get rid of the cool FWRR and RC? You know the answer to that.  

Other than not satisfying the Fort's transportation needs, the FWRR was a maintenance hog. And it's not like they could take it over to the Railroad maintenance garage behind MK. They needed a separate facility just for it. 

As for RC, it made no business sense at all to keep it once TL and BB were built.

Add Discovery Island to the mix. It was not needed after AK was built.

Cool or not, all those things were money pits, they were expensive to operate and unnecessary.

If people think the site rates are too high now, what would they be if they had to also support the FWRR, RC, & some of DI?

Aaron this is a great idea for a trip report,this will most likely thrust you to the top of the trip reports viewed. Watch out TCD & Troll your crown coud be in jeoprady :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

Whats really sad is I was a junior in college when this trip took place.

Wow, what great pictures!  My earliest visit was 1984 so it's wonderful to see these from the 70's.

Thanks. 

My dad gets the credit for the originals.

I am just like a rap star "sampling" the original.

"Sampling" is otherwise known as "ripping off."

Don't you people have jobs? Geez, by the time I get around to this thread, the posts are in the 50s.

Aaron, you asked how could they get rid of the cool FWRR and RC? You know the answer to that.  

Other than not satisfying the Fort's transportation needs, the FWRR was a maintenance hog. And it's not like they could take it over to the Railroad maintenance garage behind MK. They needed a separate facility just for it. 

As for RC, it made no business sense at all to keep it once TL and BB were built.

Cool or not, all those things were money pits, they were expensive to operate and unnecessary.

If people think the site rates are too high now, what would they be if they had to also support the FWRR, RC, & some of DI?

Oh yeah....

Well......

:raspberry2:

This is, without a doubt, THE GREATEST TRIP REPORT EVER!!!!!!!!!!

That is high praise indeed.  Thanks FWG!

If it approaches anything like that it is because of several things that have nothing to do with me:

1. My dad's pics

2. All the fiend comments

3. TCD's compare/contrast photos

I will take credit only for coming up with this idea, but the rest of the credit belongs elsewhere.

Aaron this is a great idea for a trip report,this will most likely thrust you to the top of the trip reports viewed. Watch out TCD & Troll your crown coud be in jeoprady :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

Thanks Rennie!

I dont think anyone should be looking over there shoulder though.

The art of the TR is the story telling and I am far from the best story teller.

Whats really sad is I was a junior in college when this trip took place.

LOL......I was in junior sized underoo underwear.  Does that make you feel better?

I was out of college, married and had a couple of kids at that time. Does that make you feel better?

Thanks Rennie!

I dont think anyone should be looking over there shoulder though.

The art of the TR is the story telling and I am far from the best story teller.

LOL......I was in junior sized underoo underwear.  Does that make you feel better?

I scanned this picture with my Canon MP810.  It created a .jpg file. I then uploaded it to Photobucket (that wasn't as easy as it used to be).

Havasupi2.jpg

Sweet!

Looks like I need to figure out if my scanner or maybe a friends has this type of capability......woud be cool to save them all to a flash drive and then upload to PB!

Bad a$$! This is awesome! Jackpot! Talk about a serious treasure trove to serious Fort historians! Thank you so much for this!

Thanks Troll.

And you're welcome.

This is awesome. Reminds me of being there as a kid again

Thanks.  It has been a lot of fun for me thus far too!

My scanner does well at converting pictures to .jpg as well. I have not tried the negatives or slides yet. 

There is also this option.

http://www.amazon.com/ION-Pics-Photo-Slide-Scanner/dp/B0038WJXIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365465920&sr=8-1&keywords=picture+slide+scanner

My scanner does well at converting pictures to .jpg as well. I have not tried the negatives or slides yet.  There is also this option. http://www.amazon.com/ION-Pics-Photo-Slide-Scanner/dp/B0038WJXIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365465920&sr=8-1&keywords=picture+slide+scanner

That's what I did several years ago. Scanned all the old slides and pictures and put them on flash drives for people's Christmas presents.

I agree with those saying that this is the best Trip Report ever!

You are posting photos of things that I have not seen in a long, long, time- and there are rarely photos posted of some of these things.

I love the interior shots of the old Contemporary!  Wow!  Look at those fake trees and the mod carpet colors!

This photo stumped me:

5876A049-3C71-4C5B-89D0-E45FD6ECE98B-362

The monorail is approaching the Contemporary from the MK, right?

So what are those monorail tracks doing there branching off to the right?

And what is that water doing there in front of the Contemporary?

I was really confused by this.

Since you are taking photos of slides- this one has to be backwards.  We are seeing a mirror image.  Those tracks actually go to the left of the forward movement of the monorail- back to the maintenance area.

TCD

As always, Lou is right.  It's a cold hard fact that Disney is a business.  Some of the frills they had at the campground made no sense from a business standpoint.  The idea is to make a profit.  It didn't take long to realize that they didn't need a train or waterpark to keep the campground full.  Likewise, they didn't need all those cool unique playgrounds or the petting zoo.   The question is often asked: why don't they do something about all the freeloaders who use the pool at the Fort?  The answer is simple- it would cost them money to do it, and not bring anything in return.  So, they let the freeloaders freeload- no skin off their backs.

I meant to comment about Aaron's River Country photos.  They make me very sad.

I will just post one comparison shot, because it would be too depressing to post more.

Aaron's shot shows where the two Whoop and Holler slides deposited guests into the Swimmin' Hole:

55EFFCD7-AE5C-48B4-92C3-976381EFAF0E-362

You can still see the ends of the slides in the rotting remains of River Country (look under the bushes) :

RiverCountry043.jpg

TCD

I agree with those saying that this is the best Trip Report ever!

You are posting photos of things that I have not seen in a long, long, time- and there are rarely photos posted of some of these things.

I love the interior shots of the old Contemporary!  Wow!  Look at those fake trees and the mod carpet colors!

This photo stumped me:

5876A049-3C71-4C5B-89D0-E45FD6ECE98B-362

The monorail is approaching the Contemporary from the MK, right?

So what are those monorail tracks doing there branching off to the right?

And what is that water doing there in front of the Contemporary?

I was really confused by this.

Since you are taking photos of slides- this one has to be backwards.  We are seeing a mirror image.  Those tracks actually go to the left of the forward movement of the monorail- back to the maintenance area.

TCD

That is high praise sir.

You may be right about the slide being installed in the reel backwards.  I never noticed it before but what youre saying makes sense and it does look incorrect.

If the picture were reversed, wouldn't we see a garden wing?

I am still wondering and pondering.

As always, Lou is right.  It's a cold hard fact that Disney is a business.  Some of the frills they had at the campground made no sense from a business standpoint.  The idea is to make a profit.  It didn't take long to realize that they didn't need a train or waterpark to keep the campground full.  Likewise, they didn't need all those cool unique playgrounds or the petting zoo.   The question is often asked: why don't they do something about all the freeloaders who use the pool at the Fort?  The answer is simple- it would cost them money to do it, and not bring anything in return.  So, they let the freeloaders freeload- no skin off their backs.

I meant to comment about Aaron's River Country photos.  They make me very sad.

I will just post one comparison shot, because it would be too depressing to post more.

Aaron's shot shows where the two Whoop and Holler slides deposited guests into the Swimmin' Hole:

55EFFCD7-AE5C-48B4-92C3-976381EFAF0E-362

You can still see the ends of the slides in the rotting remains of River Country (look under the bushes) :

RiverCountry043.jpg

TCD

That is a sad comparison.

If the picture were reversed, wouldn't we see a garden wing?

Maybe not- those buildings aren't that tall.

I went ahead and flipped the photo to see what it looks like that way:

contemporary1_zps0ec05df5.jpg

That doesn't look right either.

Where would that photo have been taken from?

I don't know what that set of tracks is doing in front of the building.

TCD

Maybe not- those buildings aren't that tall.

I went ahead and flipped the photo to see what it looks like that way:

contemporary1_zps0ec05df5.jpg

That doesn't look right either.

Where would that photo have been taken from?

I don't know what that set of tracks is doing in front of the building.

TCD

I think the first way was right and that is the maintenance track.