Third time is a charm - we finally summitted Mt. Chocorua!

Some of you will remember that Matt and I went on a hike last August to get used to backpacking in all the gear we would need for an overnight stay in the wilderness.  Matt is in Boy Scouts and I have had the pleasure of getting to learn a lot by hanging out with these guys and Matt.

Well, last years trip was a learning experience where we discovered that a comfortable pack was important.  The pack he was carrying did not fit right and he was uncomfortable shortly after we started.  On that trip we did get to the shelter, put on a lot of miles on the trail and overnighted in a really nice place.  BUT…, we never made the summit.

Two weeks later we returned to the area with the Boy Scout troop and climbed the same mountain (not a very challenging mountain either).  Matt was still not a happy camper after the prior attempt and stayed near the base working on orienteering skills with another group while I went with the rest of the kids and other adults to climb to the summit.  We made a rookie mistake of not verifying that each kid had enough water for the hike. Lesson to other adults out there, simply asking the kids if they have enough water is not enough.  Two of the kids that were in our group only had one small water bottle with them on a hot sunny day, and we had to turn around at about half a mile from the summit because the group was running low on water. 

So, over the winter we were complaining about our failures and decided we would have to give this a third try.  Matt is now a year older and growing like a weed.  One of his friends in the troop and his Dad (both were on the second attempt to summit) and the troop leader agreed that this would have to be planned.  So, starting in mid-February, we all put together our calendars and lined up a date to get the job done.

Our plan was to take the Piper Trail up to Penacook Shelter again, just a three mile hike, and set up camp mid day.  Then we would take off for the summit with just water and maybe a few other items and finish the last 1.5 miles without the 30 pounds on our backs.

We started from central MA at 7:00 on Sunday morning for the three hour drive up to the parking lot.  The weather was great on the way up and we were really stoked for this trip.  Matt and I had picked up two more modern packs through the scout shop last year during a fantastic clearance sale that our local scout outfitter told us about (two customizable Osprey packs that can be adjusted to different sizes over the years for less than a cost of a single pack at the local outfitters).

Some signs at the trail head:

null_zps95a19800.jpg

null_zps8dbc5f20.jpg

Think the Fort will ever go to self service pay stations?  In case you are wondering, they do check and anyone who does not pay will get a hefty ticket or towed out of the parking lot.

null_zpsa549f5b0.jpg

As you can probably tell, the weather was great.  Temperatures in the high 70’s, partly cloudy with a little bit of a breeze.  After having three weeks of 90+ degree humid days, we were enjoying this change.  The trail starts out fairly well maintained with a gradual incline for the first mile or so.

null_zps455f36f5.jpg

We cross over brooks several times or near them on the climb.  Another reason why this hike is good for the first few pack trips – if you bring a filter you don’t need to carry a lot of water to drink.

null_zpsacb335ca.jpg

And then we start to climb, gradually at first:

null_zps18d6c95d.jpg

And then the real dreaded switchbacks as the trail gets steeper:

null_zps1f2c26f3.jpg

null_zps4fcbc4f1.jpg

And higher we go, like stair climbing on rocks:

null_zps3a121075.jpg

At last we reach the 3.1 mile mark where the junction to the spur trail takes off toward the shelter.  That is such a welcome relief to know we can drop 30 pounds at the shelter and finish with nothing but a water bottle!

null_zpsbafb82a2.jpg

But they don’t give up the shelter that easily, you have about a half mile scramble over little used or maintained trail to get there:

null_zps264615c6.jpg

following little signs like the yellow paint on the tree (above photo) or small signs like this which are hard to notice if you aren’t looking for them:

null_zpsf88f06b1.jpg

Matt knows we are close, and is a lot happier on this trip:

null_zps4b0450e3.jpg

Finally we get a break and take some time to eat lunch:

null_zpscb058699.jpg

It was about this time that we notice clouds beginning to roll in, so we decide to head for the summit.  The radar (this side of the mountain also has spotty cell phone coverage and we could check the radar on our phones) shows some good rain heading east, but near the border of NH and VT, so we feel confident we can make it in time.

A pause along the ridge headed to the summit:

null_zps17a52e0f.jpg

Then the clouds really roll in.  Matt pretending to be the character on the advertisement for the video game “Assassin’s Creed”:

null_zpsb50bfd22.jpg

And finally we find the highest point while wandering around in the clouds.  Sort of creepy but cool to have “fog” rolling around and partially obscuring your line of sight.  The peak of Chocorua seems very steep and very unusual for northeast mountains which tend to be round tops or not so steep.

null_zps96aaf2db.jpg

Then we headed back down to start dinner before the rains come.  I grabbed a few more shots along the trails that run the ridge between Middle Sister Mountain and Chocorua:

null_zps8d3c50af.jpg

I didn’t get any photos of dinner, but it was another one pot meal cooked over the alcohol stove followed by granola bars for desert hunkered down in the shelter while the rains pounded the metal roof.  One of the adults also brought out a surprise flask so that the adults could have a small celebratory toast of Jameson!  That hit the spot.  An added bonus of sleeping on a wood floor with very thin sleeping pads – the kids said none of us really snored that bad!  We typically snore so bad that the trees shake, but not this night!

It rained hard all night but we stayed dry in the shelter.  We had draped our rain fly tarps over the entrance to keep the blowing mist out and we were very comfortable.  I woke in time for sunrise the next morning and grabbed this shot while waiting for the coffee:

null_zps92083db5.jpg

and the shelter:

null_zps4a41e6c8.jpg

Coffee above the clouds – can you smell the aroma?  Wish you were there?  I do.

null_zpsbc47acae.jpg

We finished breakfast, grabbed our gear and some extra trash others left at the shelter and off we went to the base.

null_zps631272e5.jpg

We always find a great local spot along the trip home to tank up after our camping trips and we stopped at a 50’s style diner for a brunch at noon. 

null_zps9fd922af.jpg

And what would a trip report be without pood forn?  Useless in my mind, so here is the long awaited obligatory shot of Matt’s small little nosh called the Cadillac special.  He finished.  I paid J

null_zps7611f285.jpg

It’s not a fort trip, but I needed to prove we could summit that mountain.  Now we can choose our next peak adventure and climb even higher and gain more experience.

Hat's off to all. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks - we aren't the fastest hikers, but we are persistent!

Wow, that trail looks rugged.  Great memories for the two of you!

It was fun

Very awesome hike!!!

Very cool us flatlanders in Florida don't get to see any hills let alone mountains. Thanks for posting  

There will be more soon, I hope.  The boy scout troop is headed up to the Whtie Mountains on Labor Day weekend and we will try to summit Wildcat and get views of the Presidential Range

I'm so happy you got the chance for a do-over! 

And judging by the menu of that diner....you must have been real close to Mo. 

I think we were close to Mo.  The place is actually called the Tilt'n Diner and I think the owner has a few places.  This one is just outside of Laconia I think.

Congrats on completing the summit!

Awesome!

Love the scenery! That looks like a nice hike.

Thanks for the report! I'd like hiking better if there were bathrooms :) reading a TR about other people hiking is more my speed.

Awesome! Determination pays off! It looks like a gorgeous area!

Thanks everyone - I think it won't be long and I won't be able to keep up with Matt on the trails, so I'm enjoying the hikes while we can.    Headed out later today for Lake George, NY!

Thanks for the report, Dan. There isn't much better, in my mind, than a good overnight hiking trip. Although my backpacking days are over, your report brought back more than a few memories of my time as a scout and later as a leader in my son's troop. Glad you finally beat that mountain.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

Great report.

Congratulations on getting to the top!

The great thing is that your son and the other scouts will likely remember this achievement for the rest of their lives.  Good job.

And thanks for sharing the photos.  What a beautiful place.

The last few days in central Florida have been particularly muggy.  I wish there was a mountain nearby that I could climb.

TCD

Looks like a great adventure. Made even better by being successful (if at first you don't succeed...)   My 3 boys are scouts and my oldest son went backpacking at Philmont this summer and had a fantastic time. We got a great deal on his backpack ($65 for a pack that lists for $148 on Amazon) through scoutdirect.com.  Do you know that site? It's for scouts only and has great sales. [i have no affiliation with them and hope this is ok to post here].