We Might be Getting a Fence and Gates at the Fort Pool!!!

This was a rumor I saw posted on FB

http://ultimateorlando.blogspot.com/2013/09/disney-pools-to-be-locked-and.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=kevin+yee

Friday, September 20, 2013
Disney pools to be locked and inaccessible in the overnight hours, starting this November

In a move that is not yet widely announced even internally, Walt Disney World will soon move to lock down access to the pools at their resort hotels, so that "off hours" swimming will become a thing of the past. By some point in November, all Disney pools will be locked and inaccessible even to hotel guests in the overnight hours. 

At present, some resort pools have no fences. Many of them are open odd hours (such as 11am) and close late, but guests can still venture into the pools even overnight, so long as they recognize there is no lifeguard on duty. But once the change is made, all pools will be off-limits if there is no lifeguard on duty; the pools will be fenced off and keycards/bracelets will not work to open them during the overnight hours. Apparently they plan to fence in remaining pools (though I didn't hear when that would happen. By November? Some months later?)

Under the new policy, all resort pools will be closed from 11pm until 7am. Lifeguard services will start earlier than they do now, but it's not sure if they will start as early as 7am.

This is breaking news not yet announced by Disney, and it's unclear if the lifeguards themselves have been told yet. We will update this post if more information becomes available.

There is no way they will do fences in two months for ALL the resorts. Mabey November 2014!

If nobody knows about it now, its not happening soon.

Never say never. Remember they demolished and rebuilt the 528 overpass at Indian River in less than 25 days in 2011. If Disney hires the right and numerous contractors it can be done.

Another Fort perk on the way out?

I can't say I blame management on this one.

Some shocking stuff goes on at the pool after it's "closed."

I haven't done it many times, but a soak in the hot tub after a long day in the parks is pretty sweet.  I mean it was pretty sweet.

Maybe one day they'll solve the pool problems once and for all by just filling the pools in.  Maybe they could sell the land around the Meadow recreation area to those Four Seasons people?

TCD

Well, I can see, for liability purposes, why they would want to close/restrict access when there are no lifeguards on duty.  But, it still doesn't specify if you would have to have a 'room key' to gain access when the pool is open.  They could just leave the gate open for anybody.....

I would also hope that they would use a nice looking fence.  One of the nice things about the Meadow pool area (to me, anyways) is how it is so nice and wide open with the field, playground, etc. It will be a shame for that to change.

Well, I can see, for liability purposes, why they would want to close/restrict access when there are no lifeguards on duty.  But, it still doesn't specify if you would have to have a 'room key' to gain access when the pool is open.  They could just leave the gate open for anybody.....

I would also hope that they would use a nice looking fence.  One of the nice things about the Meadow pool area (to me, anyways) is how it is so nice and wide open with the field, playground, etc. It will be a shame for that to change.

Understand that this is all just rumor, but according to the person spreading the rumor, the pools will be off limits when no life guard is on duty.  Read the part I bolded:

This was a rumor I saw posted on FB

http://ultimateorlando.blogspot.com/2013/09/disney-pools-to-be-locked-and.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=kevin+yee

Friday, September 20, 2013
Disney pools to be locked and inaccessible in the overnight hours, starting this November

In a move that is not yet widely announced even internally, Walt Disney World will soon move to lock down access to the pools at their resort hotels, so that "off hours" swimming will become a thing of the past. By some point in November, all Disney pools will be locked and inaccessible even to hotel guests in the overnight hours. 

At present, some resort pools have no fences. Many of them are open odd hours (such as 11am) and close late, but guests can still venture into the pools even overnight, so long as they recognize there is no lifeguard on duty. But once the change is made, all pools will be off-limits if there is no lifeguard on duty; the pools will be fenced off and keycards/bracelets will not work to open them during the overnight hours. Apparently they plan to fence in remaining pools (though I didn't hear when that would happen. By November? Some months later?)

Under the new policy, all resort pools will be closed from 11pm until 7am. Lifeguard services will start earlier than they do now, but it's not sure if they will start as early as 7am.

This is breaking news not yet announced by Disney, and it's unclear if the lifeguards themselves have been told yet. We will update this post if more information becomes available.

I wonder if this rumormonger knows that most of the WDW resorts, including the Fort, have pools that are never manned by lifeguards? 

TCD

Another Fort perk on the way out?

I can't say I blame management on this one.

Some shocking stuff goes on at the pool after it's "closed."

I haven't done it many times, but a soak in the hot tub after a long day in the parks is pretty sweet.  I mean it was pretty sweet.

Maybe one day they'll solve the pool problems once and for all by just filling the pools in.  Maybe they could sell the land around the Meadow recreation area to those Four Seasons people?

TCD

Everyone can smuggle in inflatable rafts, paddle thru the canals, than go down the canal behind the 1500/1800 loops to Golden Oaks and use their pools/spas/club house after hours!

Everyone can smuggle in inflatable rafts, paddle thru the canals, than go down the canal behind the 1500/1800 loops to Golden Oaks and use their pools/spas/club house after hours!

Not a bad plan.

The only flaw in it is that the Four Seasons is not managed by Disney.

Which means their management is probably smart enough to be able to figure out a way to keep outsiders from using their pool/lazy river.

TCD

I am really surprised that they haven't been fenced before this. Not because of outsiders but because of safety. Most states require pools to be fenced, 4' minimum and above ground pools have a ladder which is removable or that can be locked in the raised position.

From Tikiman's Resort Page:

Notice from Disney about the pool hours.

“Over the coming months, we will implement new operating and lifeguarding hours for feature and other popular pools at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort and Disney's Vero Beach Resort.

Lifeguards will be present at guarded pools during all hours they are open. Quiet pools will remain available to Guests 24 hours a day and will continue to be unguarded.

Implementation will begin with Disney's Art of Animation Resort, Disney's Pop Century Resort and Disney's All-Star Resorts on Sept. 29 and is expected to be complete in November.”

Reactive Q&A

Why are you making these changes?
These changes make it easier for Guests to understand when our pools are open and when a lifeguard is present.

What are you doing?
We are aligning operational hours with lifeguard coverage at feature and other popular pools at our resort hotels.

Will feature pools remain open outside of pool operating hours?
No. Feature pools will be closed when lifeguards are not present. Quiet pools will remain available to Guests 24 hours a day and will continue to be unguarded.

What will the hours be for feature pools?
Operating hours will vary seasonally and based on Guest demand. Generally, the guarded pools will open at either 7 a.m. or 9 a.m. and close at 11 p.m.; however, these hours can be extended or modified to accommodate special events and high demand.

Are you adding fences around all resort pools in order to limit access?
We are in the process of adding fences as part of our regular refurbishment process.