Happy Fall Y'all! TCD's September 2013 Not So Scary TR

Speaking of the benches at the campfire, it seems to me that there are fewer benches there now than there used to be.

I researched some of the aerial surveillance photos taken by the TCD black helicopter fleet over the years, and I think there are less benches.

Here's the campfire area in 2007:

C2007_zpsbb8e3991.jpg

And here it is in 2013:

C2013_zps53e97721.jpg

Using my rudimentary math skills, it looks to me like there are approximately seven less benches now.

Keep this up, and soon we won't need to worry about the log benches, as we will all be sitting on the rocks.

Thanks Doug!

TCD

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you will still have 3 very expensive princess dresses to buy. And the color is white.

Lol. Only a southerner knows what "bless your heart..." Really means.

Ray I know you warned us, But you still owe me that 3:45 of my life back. 

Time to move on.  I have more photos to share, including a really cool one, so let's do this.

I ran out of room in that last update to post this photo, which I call "A Lot of Dam Fence:"

102013035_zps7545dd09.jpg

Not many people come back here, and the dam was hardly pretty to look at before, but what the heck, Doug?

What's with all the fence?

And, if you're going to put up fence and gates, don't you think you should lock the gates.  Otherwise, what's the point?

Just in case some other ding-a-ling wanders back here and posts that the bridge is fenced off, here's a photo that shows you it isn't:

102013036_zps9c688ea3.jpg

So, if you want to walk across the bridge, go ahead.

That's not to say Doug won't be putting up some more fence.  Apparently, he got a good deal on some black vinyl fence, and he's not afraid to use it.

The old cabin gets harder and harder to see as the swamp encroaches on it, but it's still there:

102013037_zps98bf823b.jpg

This might be a cool photo if it wasn't so blurry.  It's horse hoof prints in the mud:

102013038_zps73b111ac.jpg

This is what I came back here to see.  The best view in all of Walt Disney World:

102013040_zpsa2d25fa7.jpg

There were a couple of boats out there in the lake doing something.  The had flashing yellow lights on top, so I don't think they were fishing excursion boats:

102013043_zpsc70292a9.jpg

They might have been boats from the Iranian Navy secretly dumping toxic waste from the top secret nuclear fission experiments being conducted in those blue tanks in River Country.  Or, it could have been something else.  I really don't know.

I would have liked to stay here a bit longer.  Maybe see the sunrise proper, but it was cloudy, and I had places to be, so I headed toward the Settlement.

There are two paths to choose from here, and as I walked toward the place where they converged, I was feeling very philosophical.  Which one should I take?

102013044_zpsda612766.jpg

I took the one more traveled.

That's what you're supposed to do, right?:

102013045_zps66c67f3f.jpg

I heard something rustling in the brush to my left, and looked in the direction of those tents over there. I think that's the 200 loop, or it could be the 300, but I think, it's 200:

102013046_zpsd95758a8.jpg

I couldn't see anything that would have made the noise I heard.

But, then, I saw this.  Look right in the center of the photo:

102013047_zps419ef7a1.jpg

Here's a zoom on that photo in case you can't see what I'm talking about:

deer1_zps701f314d.jpg

I love that!

A deer wandering around at sunrise.  Right near a busy camping loop.  And, I'm the only one who saw it.  Well, except for whoever might still be looking at the photos in this report.

I couldn't stay and watch the deer, I had to move on down the trail:

102013049_zps5f30b81b.jpg

Whenever I walk this trail, which is every chance I get, I have to photograph this swampy area:

102013050_zps6ae49395.jpg

Some day, if Doug gets his way, this is all going to be cleared, and they're going to build a big old dining pavilion here for guests to enjoy the Backyard BBQ lakeside, and who knows what else.  I'll bet there won't be any log benches.

It was right here that I heard some more brush rustling.  I hoped it wasn't Devine or her boyfriend Bamboo.  I turned to look where the sound was coming from, and was relieved to see it was just a possum on the half-shell, which you can see just to the right of center in this photo:

102013053_zps8d4f448b.jpg

As I neared the end of the trail, I came to the clearing where they used to have lots of decorations this time of year for the Haunted Wagon rides that they used to do.  This year, as was also the case last year, there are no decorations, as there are no more Haunted Wagon or Carriage Rides.  So, it's just a clearing:

102013054_zps1484077c.jpg

Does anyone remember the Haunted Wagon Rides?  The Headless Horseman himself used to chase guests right in this very spot.

Not anymore.

Headless Horsemen are expensive you know.

Maybe more expensive than log benches even.

Can't be wasting money on frivolous things for measly campers.

Not on Doug's watch.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Doug.

It's not like he hates everything.

He apparently loves Air Potato vines, because he's letting them grow freely back here-just look at all the tree trunks:

102013055_zpsd32eb056.jpg

These vines will choke and kill a healthy tree. Which is exactly what they're trying to do here:

102013056_zpse704ad20.jpg

102013057_zpsf6ad4064.jpg

That poor palm tree is not long for this world.

But look, removing invasive non-native plant species is costs money, you know.  And Doug loves money more than trees.  Plus, those vines are kind of pretty, aren't they?

I couldn't linger and admire the Air Potato vines.

I had to keep moving.

So, I emerged from the woods behind the Settlement Trading Post. 

As is usually the case at this hour, the back gate was open.  Probably to receive deliveries.  But that gave me a chance to take a peek and see if there was anything of interest back there.

Sometimes there is.  For a long time, there was a Discovery Island trash can back here.  But Doug must have sold it on e-Bay.  Then, the old River Country wagon sat back here for months until it was taken away to be refurbished.  That was a couple of years ago.  And it's never come back.  But, I still look.  Maybe one day it will be back here:

102013058_zps021f7ec2.jpg

Nope.

But wait.

Look again.

There's something peeking out there on the left.

It looks like a wagon.

I took another look.

It was a wagon!:

102013059_zps284022a7.jpg

Wrong wagon, though.

That's the covered wagon that used to sit in front of the Settlement Trading Post.   It was placed there years ago when they got rid of the totem poles that are supposed to be there.  Just last month, when I was here for the visit which is the subject of this trip report,  that wagon was where it's always been.  But, the roof had rotted and had holes in it.  Now, it's back here.  Too bad.  Bad things happen to wagons that end up behind the Settlement Trading Post.

There was nothing more to see here. RIP Settlement Trading Post wagon.  Time to move on.

Here's another sad sight:

102013061_zps9d61e88c.jpg

That's a look down the path that leads in to the 100 loop.  You can see that the site on the right of the path is nicely decorated for Halloween.  You can also see that the site on the left is completely undecorated.  In years past, that site-#114- used to have the best decorations in all of the Fort.  And the people who used to camp there were some of the best you'd ever want to meet.  But, they don't camp at the Fort anymore.  That's on Doug, too.

This is a look at the front lawn of the Settlement Trading Post.  The empty space you see here is where that covered wagon we just saw used to sit, and before that there were totem poles here.  Now, it's just an empty space:

102013062_zps459c746f.jpg

102013063_zps701c5ecf.jpg

But, look, it's not all bad.  Without that stupid covered wagon in the way, you can stand here on the porch and see all the way down that path to the old River Country ticket booth:

102013064_zpsa3d295bc.jpg

You know that song Hootie sings called Wagon Wheel?  I thought of it as I stood here:

102013065_zpsd93851ba.jpg

Wait, I think that might be better with no flash:

102013066_zps3d561754.jpg

Yeah, I like that better.

Any way, where were we?

Oh yeah- Hootie.  Do you know he's a Country Singer now?  Well he is.  And in the last year, he had a song out called Wagon Wheel.  Country music stations played that song about 5 times per hour.  Sometimes more.  Hootie is doing pretty good without the Blowfish.  But, what I want to know is what the heck is he talking about? Rock me baby like a Wagon Wheel?  What does that mean?  Doesn't a Wagon Wheel roll and not rock?

I knew I wasn't going to solve that riddle, so I moved on.

Here's a shot of the new Settlement Trading Post sign, which I am already on the record as being not a fan, and the empty space where the covered wagon is supposed to be:

102013068_zps8253fbe2.jpg

I like this area of the Settlement.  There's always a lot going on here.  But not this morning.  Except, that there appears to be an orange cone by the old Lawnmower Tree:

102013069_zps3182309c.jpg

Make that two cones:

102013070_zps4cd2a078.jpg

But why?

I wish I could tell you.  I have a bad feeling about those cones.  But, we are at the photo limit, so we will need to resume the discussion of this important issue in the next update.

TCD

There has to be a reason they replaced the benches. Why would they spend money buying/building new benches unless there was a problem? Did they get infested with some kind of bug? Did somebody get hurt on one and they feared a lawsuit? Has to be a reason, other wise why would they waste the money.

WBI

The old river county wagon was supposed to be refurbished to be placed in front of the new DVC. Since that project is evidently on hold I wonder where the old wagon is now? My guess is it's with the log benches at the Fort's maintenance shop. We need a Fiend to go exploring and see if they can find them before they are sold to mouse surplus.

WBI

You know that song Hootie sings called Wagon Wheel?  I thought of it as I stood here:

102013065_zpsd93851ba.jpg

Wait, I think that might be better with no flash:

102013066_zps3d561754.jpg

Yeah, I like that better.

Any way, where were we?

Oh yeah- Hootie.  Do you know he's a Country Singer now?  Well he is.  And in the last year, he had a song out called Wagon Wheel.  Country music stations played that song about 5 times per hour.  Sometimes more.  Hootie is doing pretty good without the Blowfish.  But, what I want to know is what the heck is he talking about? Rock me baby like a Wagon Wheel?  What does that mean?  Doesn't a Wagon Wheel roll and not rock?

I knew I wasn't going to solve that riddle, so I moved on.

See, now you come around with this song. I tried to turn you on to this before, posted the original version by Old Crow Medicine Show on one of my TRs way before Hootie ever sniffed it out. OCMS did it first, and way better.

The peculiarity of the lyrics comes from the way the song was written. The songwriter from OCMS is a lifelong Bob Dylan fan, and was listening to some bootleg outtakes of Dylan warming up before a recording session years ago. Ol' Bob was just strumming and singing some stream of conscience lyrics. Years later the young bluegrass musician hears the improvisation, and completes a song around it. As they became regionally popular, they also became friends with Dylan's son Jakob (from the Wallflowers). They ran the story by Jakob, and Dad, got his blessing, and gave him a writer's credit.

First time I met FamilyofBears, Brandy was sat in her cart on the 1500 loop playing the OCMS version on her phone. It's a camping staple from way before Hootie mainstreamed it!

It also shows up at Friday Night Fire, if you ever make it by...

Momma, it's rock me momma like a wagon wheel.  But don't worry, if he makes to Rayleigh, he knows he will die free.

The song is fun to sing in the car as long you don't care that it makes no sense at all.

Great photos. Wonder what will happen to that poor wagon.

I said I would think about it.  Just kidding, I said what time?  Just kidding.  I said I will meet you at a park for rope drop.  Pick one. As long as it's Epcot.  I needed another visit to the Food and Wine Festival.  And, I needed to do some more research on how to scam the current Fastpass+ system with my old KTTW cards.

I was serious about the rope drop and trying to get Fastpasses with my KTTW cards from our September trip, so I planned to be at Epcot by 9.  Twin #1 said she didn't want to have to get up too early and rush, so I said fine, I would go, and she could meet me a bit later in the morning.  She was down with that.

Rumor has it that loophole might be closing this coming weekend. 

No wagon?

That wagon better come back Doug.

The cones appear to be the beginning of the end for the Lawnmower Tree....sadly.

You tell him, Aaron. 

Or he gets a wedgie,  swirly, Indian (no offense to any Native Americans reading along) burn, and I also say a purple nurple.  He's going to pay for this!

There has to be a reason they replaced the benches. Why would they spend money buying/building new benches unless there was a problem? Did they get infested with some kind of bug? Did somebody get hurt on one and they feared a lawsuit? Has to be a reason, other wise why would they waste the money.

WBI

You make a good point.

Since when has anything been done at the Fort before it had to be done?

I wonder if those old benches were getting rotten and/or falling apart. 

Another wagon bites the dust.  :-[

INC personally witnessed the removal of the old River Country wagon.  That was on 3/18/10 at approximately 10:30 in the morning. 

As ole Larry would have said.....So, So Sad. 

I can't believe it's been that long.

I remember you reported it being missing first.

And it's still gone. But the fence is still there.  So there's hope.  Even after 3 1/2 years.

The old river county wagon was supposed to be refurbished to be placed in front of the new DVC. Since that project is evidently on hold I wonder where the old wagon is now? My guess is it's with the log benches at the Fort's maintenance shop. We need a Fiend to go exploring and see if they can find them before they are sold to mouse surplus.

WBI

I thought that was a secret?

About the wagon coming back for the DVC?

I hope it doesn't show up on Mouse Surplus!

If it does, Doug is getting an atomic wedgie, so help me.

See, now you come around with this song. I tried to turn you on to this before, posted the original version by Old Crow Medicine Show on one of my TRs way before Hootie ever sniffed it out. OCMS did it first, and way better.

The peculiarity of the lyrics comes from the way the song was written. The songwriter from OCMS is a lifelong Bob Dylan fan, and was listening to some bootleg outtakes of Dylan warming up before a recording session years ago. Ol' Bob was just strumming and singing some stream of conscience lyrics. Years later the young bluegrass musician hears the improvisation, and completes a song around it. As they became regionally popular, they also became friends with Dylan's son Jakob (from the Wallflowers). They ran the story by Jakob, and Dad, got his blessing, and gave him a writer's credit.

First time I met FamilyofBears, Brandy was sat in her cart on the 1500 loop playing the OCMS version on her phone. It's a camping staple from way before Hootie mainstreamed it!

It also shows up at Friday Night Fire, if you ever make it by...

I know that Hootie was covering the song.  I also know his name's not Hootie.

I think I remember seeing a video of the original on one of your TR's.

And, one of my daughters had the original on a playlist that we listened to on a trip that we took. 

I agree with you- the original is the better version.

Momma, it's rock me momma like a wagon wheel.  But don't worry, if he makes to Rayleigh, he knows he will die free.

The song is fun to sing in the car as long you don't care that it makes no sense at all.

Great photos. Wonder what will happen to that poor wagon.

Oops, you're right. It is Momma.  My bad.  Not that it makes any more sense. 

Rumor has it that loophole might be closing this coming weekend. 

Yeah, I saw that.

But, you still ought to read how it went for us on Sunday the 20th.

If they are shutting down the loophole, that is not a good thing for anyone without a MB.  Read on to find out why.

TCD

I thought that was a secret?

About the wagon coming back for the DVC?

TCD

It is a secret don't tell anyone.

Really though I haven't heard or seen any new DVC info in a long time. You would think they would bring the wagon back, but it's probably easier to leave it to rot somewhere.

WBI

It is a secret don't tell anyone.

Really though I haven't heard or seen any new DVC info in a long time. You would think they would bring the wagon back, but it's probably easier to leave it to rot somewhere.

WBI

Oh, come on Nick, you're too young to be cynical like some of the rest of us.

As much as I would like to think the DVC is gone for good, I am not ready to believe that yet. They could make a lot of money with another DVC on Bay Lake.

TCD

We left off on that last update looking at the cones by the lawnmower tree, and we start this one in the same place.

Those aren't just any cones, by the way. They're Bob's:

102013071_zpsf414fcbc.jpg

You know, Disney has its own cones, but the Lawnmower tree gets Bob's?

I don't like the looks of this.

I figured I had better get a photo of the lawnmower pieces, as I know one of these days, what's left of the lawnmower tree is just going to vanish:

102013072_zpsd065e8cc.jpg

That is such a shame.

The Lawnmower Tree used to be shown on Fort Wilderness maps.  And, it had a sign.  I believe that Walt himself knew of the tree and approved of the special recognition it got at the Fort.  It's all going to be nothing but a memory soon.

Of course, in its current condition, it's probably the right thing to do to put it out of its misery.

As is to be expected this early on a Sunday morning, there weren't many carts parked at the marina:

102013073_zps89c9de50.jpg

And nobody was on the playground:

102013074_zpsff1dc547.jpg

Here's good old Pioneer Hall:

102013075_zps8ca373e8.jpg

And, turned just a bit to the right, there's Crockett's Tavern.  In about a month, there will be a big Christmas tree in that space in between where I'm standing and the porch:

102013076_zpse26bea64.jpg

For now, anyway, there is a proper bench here near where guests wait for their non-haunted carriage rides:

102013077_zps232f8256.jpg

In front of the Trail's End takeout entrance, however, it's new benches:

102013078_zps9e1be980.jpg

I popped in Trail's End for a cup of coffee.  It was made and hot at 7:50 am, which is good since Trail's End opens at 7:30. They had quite a few earlybirds in the restaurant too:

102013079_zps7dd864d1.jpg

They seriously considered making this field and all that you see in this photo into a parking lot:

102013080_zpsbf5c6d82.jpg

If the River Country DVC ever gets the green light, this will be a parking lot.

Ick, more new benches:

102013081_zpsbfbc0773.jpg

You see that big cone shaped thing across the field?  That used to be a windmill.  Now, it's covered with vines:

102013082_zps674e95a8.jpg

I'm heading to the bus stop, because it's time to wrap this quick visit up. As expected, there's an empty bus and a driver there waiting to take me wherever I need to go:

102013083_zps02146db2.jpg

Here's one last photo before I boarded the bus- that's the old petting zoo area over there.  Now it's all ponies all the time.  You can spot the famous TCD Farm sign there too:

102013084_zps455349d4.jpg

According to the official bus time, it was 7:51 when I boarded the bus:

102013085_zpsb3fb0600.jpg

The bus driver dutifully waited to see if any other passengers would show up, and it wasn't until 7:56 that we departed, even though we both knew nobody else would be showing up:

102013086_zps98297c6d.jpg

I had the whole bus to myself:

102013087_zps3fdab176.jpg

At 7:59, with one minute to spare, I was here in front of the Meadow Trading Post:

102013088_zpsb9f2e5dd.jpg

Not many folks were out and about this morning:

102013089_zpsc58f00ce.jpg

There were a couple of folks up on the porch waiting for the doors to open.  They went right in at 8, and I snapped this photo right after:

102013091_zps057d96e3.jpg

I wish I could have sat in one of those rockers for a spell, but I needed to make this quick.  So, I headed out back:

102013092_zpsc65982fd.jpg

Here's another photo of Bob's dock.  From what I'm hearing, old Bob himself may be on this dock next week some time:

102013093_zpsb874cbdf.jpg

The beach and campfire area:

102013094_zps5fc89050.jpg

You can't hardly see any of the RV's on the 600 loop from here:

102013095_zpsf7f1afa7.jpg

Bear Rock:

102013096_zpsffffe964.jpg

A look across the Fishin' Hole to the footbridge that I crossed when I started this little walkabout this morning:

102013097_zps4304ffb2.jpg

I get why Bob likes to hang out here:

102013098_zps798be29e.jpg

102013099_zpsb7fb4b41.jpg

Bob- the Fish Feeder is there- couldn't tell if it was working, and the aerator next to the dock was not running.  You'll need to check on it:

102013100_zps368333ec.jpg

Your picnic table is ready, though:

102013101_zps816bbe62.jpg

Dang, that's 30 photos.

So we'll stop here.

In the next update, we will be making a quick visit to the Trading Post, and heading out to Epcot.

But first, I had that Fiend encounter I mentioned.

Any guesses who it was?

TCD

Those new benches are really ugly.  They could at least have stained them to match Pioneer Hall.

Come on, Gwen, get real.

No way is Doug paying for matching stain.

Since Devores seems to be closing down the MK many nights, I don't think he was up that early.  Gary?

You're right, it was not Dave D.  But it wasn't Gary either.

Think old school Fiend.

TCD