Leaked River Country DVC Plans

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a related aside... I'm going to venture a guess that this thread is going to generate a lot of first time visitors to Fort Fiends so...   WELCOME!   If you haven't already created a user name/login

Maybe they'll conduct a training burn on Jacob's Cabin after the bat house is finished?

Suddenly I am seeing a new tour offered by Disney World.

You know what's not going to be quiet, though?

That giant new Backyard BBQ pavilion there behind the 100/200 loops.

When this rumor first surfaced DH and I had already started talking about how that might be what bumps us out of the 300 loop. 

So is Trail's End going to hit the trail?

As long as they keep the chicken and the pecan rolls...

In regards to more people, remember, us campers  are just that....campers! We spend probably more time at the Fort then in the parks, The DVCers will be in the parks or their luxury pool.We won't seee much of them. I still am in awe walking around the Fort at Christmas, knowing there's 40-50k people or more just across the pond while it is quiet and peaceful here. I think (hope) the Fort will still keep that same serenity.

In regards to more people, remember, us campers  are just that....campers! We spend probably more time at the Fort then in the parks, The DVCers will be in the parks or their luxury pool.We won't seee much of them.

^THIS^

Except when they all come over to loop and see the Christmas decorations!

and unfortunately probably ^THIS^ too

I have to say, it's pretty amazing the depths some of you go to provide awesome, detailed information. I don't know what all of you do for careers but I'll have to say there are some good CAD engineers, private investigators, computer gurus and whatever other trade to make this such an awesome thread. Thanks to all

Oh, yeah! The Christmas decorations. That's another potential bonus of this DVC -- that will probably motivate the Disney management to crack down and clean up a lot of that mess.

And here's another great thought -- I bet they will name this DVC River Country! Or River Country Villas or something awesome like that!

I'm pumped.

I have to say, it's pretty amazing the depths some of you go to provide awesome, detailed information. I don't know what all of you do for careers but I'll have to say there are some good CAD engineers, private investigators, computer gurus and whatever other trade to make this such an awesome thread. Thanks to all

Agreed! 

:bravo:

Yes, absolutely!  This is why I lurk around here instead of that other site.   :heartsmiley:

These plans are actually much nicer than I ever imagined.  This stands to become one of the most complete DVC resorts in WDW if built.  Most of the existing DVC's are simply villas that rely on their home resort for many of the amenities for their members.  That is why I could never understand what the draw would be for selling memberships to a Fort DVC.  The Fort, for as much as we all love it, does not have the types of amenities that your typical DVC buyer desires.  But these plans call for a complete, standalone resort that happens to be a DVC resort.  I would love to stay at this resort, and it wouldn't even be necessary to enter the "Fort Proper"; although that would offer additional amenities above and beyond what lies within the DVC, such as horseback riding, carriage rides, the Settlement area including Pioneer Hall, etc.  

I do agree that the parking lot could be better placed from the standpoint on its impact to the Fort.  But I also believe it will be screened as best as possible, and is probably there for a reason.  And I'm not happy about the impacts to the Fort from a crowd standpoint, and losing the barn area which is one of my favorite early morning peaceful spots.  But overall, this looks very nice and I bet that, if built, it will be a wonderful addition to the Bay Lake resort area.  

I have to say....well done to whomever planned this resort.

Very well put Dave!

I agree!

And honestly that parking lot doesn't worry me because like you said it will be screened and Disney knows how to screen things better than anyone.

So, it there a river flowing under the lobby, and those boat seats? Is that what I'm seeing here? And it terminates in a waterfall which cascades into the River Pool:

This is all very cool, but still very similar to the spring and waterfall at Wilderness Lodge.

The boat and gears remind me of the cotton mill at Port Orleans Riverside.

But, this is definitely in keeping with a River theme, not a Pioneer/Wilderness theme.

TCD

I was thinking the same thing, these features are awesome but they kept reminding me of Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge, I guess its a mesh of the two, which I actually really like!

One thought re: lots more people

While that will be true, it may not end up really feeling that way.

I'm thinking about when we go over to the Contemporary. Even since adding BLT never really feels crowded - even in the food court, shops, etc.

Ditto with Wilderness Lodge.

Seeing the size and scope of this, there is a lot of room for all those people to be dispersed throughout, that's when they're not off elsewhere around WDW.

Hopefully with all that's built into this - pools, common areas, etc. - the impact to the # of people floating around the rest of the Fort won't be significant.

That said, the one thing I can see this possibly having a big impact on is golf cart traffic around the holidays. (eek)

Great point Mo, now that I think about DVC areas are very quiet most of the time.

This plan just keeps sounding better and better to me.

WBI

Time for some comparisons.

Someone had asked how much bigger this project is than Pioneer Hall, well I also compared it to Wilderness Lodge.

Compare.jpg

As you can see the Wilderness Lodge & Villas are in Red, River Country DVC is green and Pioneer Hall is blue.

Here's RC DVC overlaid on WL:

WLvsRC.jpg

And Pioneer Hall on WL

WKvsPioneerHall.jpg

And Pioneer Hall on RC DVC:

RCvsPioneerHall.jpg

What do you think?

Bigger than expected or about what you thought?

I think River Country DVC is going to have 8 floors so its going to a massive structure but I think the entrance is going to be on the second floor if I remember correctly and I think it will blend in nicely with the trees they are planning to save.

WBI

Time for some comparisons.

Someone had asked how much bigger this project is than Pioneer Hall, well I also compared it to Wilderness Lodge.

Compare.jpg

As you can see the Wilderness Lodge & Villas are in Red, River Country DVC is green and Pioneer Hall is blue.

Here's RC DVC overlaid on WL:

WLvsRC.jpg

And Pioneer Hall on WL

WKvsPioneerHall.jpg

And Pioneer Hall on RC DVC:

RCvsPioneerHall.jpg

What do you think?

Bigger than expected or about what you thought?

I think River Country DVC is going to have 8 floors so its going to a massive structure but I think the entrance is going to be on the second floor if I remember correctly and I think it will blend in nicely with the trees they are planning to save.

WBI

Very interesting, Nick!

Considering how much open space there is at Wilderness Lodge, and the big restaurant areas compared to the proposed DVC, I would guess that there is more guest capacity at the DVC.

One thing I'd like to see is a comparison of the size of the proposed parking lot to the parking lot at the Outpost at the Fort or the WL main parking lot.  I think the new DVC parking lot is much bigger than many of us realize.

TCD

While they might screen the parking lot, it will still be a parking lot.

My son has participated in Easter activities on that field. I love watching kids play there. I also LOVE that I don't have to worry about cars in that area. All that will change. 

No doubt, the parking lot is toward the top of the "Cons" list of this project.  Possibly the very top. 

My preference would be that this project never happens.  I'd love to see a page on Jim Hill Media someday similar to the Buffalo Junction one, about resorts that never happened.  But I don't think we will. 

So, assuming this does get built, I wish there was a way to effect some change to the plans prior to finalization of them.  It would be awesome if the parking lot could be relocated to the other side of the resort.  I know DVC owners don't want a long hike from their car to the resort.  But shifting the parking lot across Wilderness Rd or even closer toward Frontier Way, and leaving the open area "open", would take away one of the primary concerns of many people regarding this project's impact to the existing Fort.  They could offer valet parking if distance was a concern.  But heck, this resort is so large that even in the currently planned location, the parking lot is a fair distance from many of the villas. 

If, by any chance, there are people reading this involved in the planning of this resort, I put this plea out to you:  Please consider moving that parking lot!  Many of us, myself included, think you have done a phenominal job planning this resort.  It looks to be one of the nicest, best planned resorts at WDW....DVC or not.  But the location and scale of that parking lot would negatively impact the ambience, feel and pastoral scene of the Settlement area, taking it away from the original intent planned at the very beginning of WDW's conception.  Please reconsider. 

I think I agree with most of you- the resort is amazing, but I don't like how much of the Fort it's taking away.

The attention to detail in this plans is amazing.

Supporting my theory that the theme is River Country, check out the detail of the ceiling finish in the Quick Serve Restaurant area- they're boat oars:

ceilingfinishes_zpsabea23fe.jpg

The community room looks very nice- and there's another one of those boat seats sitting outside of it.  I guess those boat seats are a signature item at the resort:

communityhalldetails_zpsac0042d7.jpg

The top floor of the building they call the Old River House has a roof garden on it.  I guess it will provide a nice view of he pool area, and of the Fort too.  This drawing shows some of the details planned for that area- look at the fish on the fence, and the potting bench theme:

roofgardenelevation_zps379cfa91.jpg

This drawing shows the seating plan for the check in area- you can see the check in counters on the bottom left, and those double boat seats in the center. This also shows there is a retail area in the bottom right:

checkinareadetail_zps7eb50d79.jpg

TCD

Here is a little something I found too. Looks like the start of a new water way. Why else would you carve into Bay lake? It lines up with a r/w parcel to the south way to well.

dMIZirz.jpg

That is very interesting.

I wonder what that is all about?

No doubt, the parking lot is toward the top of the "Cons" list of this project.  Possibly the very top. 

My preference would be that this project never happens.  I'd love to see a page on Jim Hill Media someday similar to the Buffalo Junction one, about resorts that never happened.  But I don't think we will. 

So, assuming this does get built, I wish there was a way to effect some change to the plans prior to finalization of them.  It would be awesome if the parking lot could be relocated to the other side of the resort.  I know DVC owners don't want a long hike from their car to the resort.  But shifting the parking lot across Wilderness Rd or even closer toward Frontier Way, and leaving the open area "open", would take away one of the primary concerns of many people regarding this project's impact to the existing Fort.  They could offer valet parking if distance was a concern.  But heck, this resort is so large that even in the currently planned location, the parking lot is a fair distance from many of the villas. 

If, by any chance, there are people reading this involved in the planning of this resort, I put this plea out to you:  Please consider moving that parking lot!  Many of us, myself included, think you have done a phenominal job planning this resort.  It looks to be one of the nicest, best planned resorts at WDW....DVC or not.  But the location and scale of that parking lot would negatively impact the ambience, feel and pastoral scene of the Settlement area, taking it away from the original intent planned at the very beginning of WDW's conception.  Please reconsider. 

Good post.

For what it's worth, at the Vero Beach DVC resort, they had to get creative with the parking because of the configuration of the parcel they built on.  Beachfront is expensive, and the parcel is rather narrow, bordered by the beach on one side and a major road on the other.  They built the buildings so there is parking beneath them, and then put a big lot across the road.  Something like that could be done here.  Of course, a parking lot is a lot cheaper than putting parking decks beneath buildings, and the placement of the parking lot here does not negatively impact the DVC.  So . . .

TCD

Just one quick observation: there is a structure at the SW of the parking lot called an "entry feature", so traffic will be coming from the direction of WL, not through the middle of the Fort. So regardless of whether the entrance is a new road, or via Timberline, or through the Fort past 2000, it at least won't be coming through the heart of the campground.

Here is a little something I found too. Looks like the start of a new water way. Why else would you carve into Bay lake? It lines up with a r/w parcel to the south way to well.

dMIZirz.jpg

Warren,

Thats just additional lake to act as compensation for water treatment since they are adding additional impervious area to that basin. Not really a feature, just an ERP requirement from what I can tell. They did the same thing for the GF expansion.

WBI