Leaked River Country DVC Plans

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a related aside... I'm going to venture a guess that this thread is going to generate a lot of first time visitors to Fort Fiends so...   WELCOME!   If you haven't already created a user name/login

Maybe they'll conduct a training burn on Jacob's Cabin after the bat house is finished?

Suddenly I am seeing a new tour offered by Disney World.

Oh, and one other thing I saw: that community room TCD mentioned, with the "arts & crafts" area, it has a kiln! Sounds like they are planning some serious craft projects. (Actually, on the plan it is labeled "klin" but the legend corrects it "kiln").

If they had built this before I bought a 5th wheel, I would probably have a different feel for it.

I guess my major concern is the loss of the Settlement area for us. I love Trails['s?] End and sitting on the porch.  I love the less hectic feel of morning rope drop from the Fort. [WL was a bit more intense, but I'm guessing still better than a mod or value].  And I do feel bad for the 100/200 loop with new noise they will have.

Is this Fort Fiends or DVC Friends?  Maybe everyone's been drinking some Kool Aid, visiting Colorado, or getting paid off by Disney because you people have changed.  First it's "no way, no DVC".  Now it's "sign me up".

Just because these plans show a resort that's really nice and fits in very well with the environment (would you expect anything less from Disney?) doesn't change the fact that it basically over runs, overshadows, and dominates The Fort. 

Who would want to stay in those 700 sites that butt up against that bus stop?  I'm sure there will be a lot more bus traffic at that bus stop alone.  The Settlement area is gonna be crazy with all the resort guests now wanting to visit Crockett's, Hoop-De-Doo, and get over to the new dining pavilion, which I assume will be the new Backyard BBQ.  Not to mention they'll probably get some blinged out golf carts of there own to do some looping with.

Also Clementine's beach will never be the same.  The boat's to MK?  Well now The Fort just got dropped a notch on the list for going there or getting back.

That parking lot is still going to be a parking lot with or without berms and it wont be a nice grassy field that kids get to play in.

I can think of more negatives for The Fort, but it wont stop this from being built.  It's just a shame they couldn't do for The Fort what they are doing for DVC.

If us lowly campers can stroll the grounds, eat at the restaurants, and possibly sneak into the pool I am good........if they berm up around the parking lot and route traffic in from WL or somewhere.

Totally agree I always thought it would be nice to have.

Is this Fort Fiends or DVC Friends?  Maybe everyone's been drinking some Kool Aid, visiting Colorado, or getting paid off by Disney because you people have changed.  First it's "no way, no DVC".  Now it's "sign me up".

Just because these plans show a resort that's really nice and fits in very well with the environment (would you expect anything less from Disney?) doesn't change the fact that it basically over runs, overshadows, and dominates The Fort. 

Who would want to stay in those 700 sites that butt up against that bus stop?  I'm sure there will be a lot more bus traffic at that bus stop alone.  The Settlement area is gonna be crazy with all the resort guests now wanting to visit Crockett's, Hoop-De-Doo, and get over to the new dining pavilion, which I assume will be the new Backyard BBQ.  Not to mention they'll probably get some blinged out golf carts of there own to do some looping with.

Also Clementine's beach will never be the same.  The boat's to MK?  Well now The Fort just got dropped a notch on the list for going there or getting back.

That parking lot is still going to be a parking lot with or without berms and it wont be a nice grassy field that kids get to play in.

I can think of more negatives for The Fort, but it wont stop this from being built.  It's just a shame they couldn't do for The Fort what they are doing for DVC.

Hey! Who's this guy? I kinda like him. But didn't you spell "mega" wrong?

Mmmmm...Disney Kool Aid...mmmmm...cherry flavor...

Who would want to stay in those 700 sites that butt up against that bus stop?  I'm sure there will be a lot more bus traffic at that bus stop alone. 

Just don't request those sites when you check in. Let the other suckers get them.

The Settlement area is gonna be crazy with all the resort guests now wanting to visit Crockett's, Hoop-De-Doo, and get over to the new dining pavilion, which I assume will be the new Backyard BBQ.

More people watching. More people for me to poke fun at.

The boat's to MK?  Well now The Fort just got dropped a notch on the list for going there or getting back.

We might actually benefit...if the Fort and the DVC share a dock, that is.

I have been going to the Fort off and on now for around 40 years.

I have never seen a kid playing in that grassy field.

Especially nowadays. Nowadays they're much more likely to hog up a rocking chair on the porch, screwing around with a cell phone.

It's all about money. Right now there is serious money to be made in the posh, way overpriced real estate hustle. The amenities help sell the joints to all the suckers visiting Disney for the first time. It's a business framed on smoke and mirrors and impulse purchases. And the more urgent and exciting you make the impulse, the more purchases you secure.

They ain't gonna throw all those amenities at us cheapo campers.

All joking aside, I certainly understand where you're coming from and a very big part of me feels exactly as you do. But they're gonna build this thing. We can look at the glass as half empty or half full.

The DVC has its own dock, so we have to hope they get their own boat. In low season I fear it'd be one boat doing WL, RC then FW.

Good point. Hadn't noticed the new dock. Odd that they would have two docks so close together. Perhaps they will consolidate to one? And that one would be at the DVC, most certainly.

Imagine...boat picks up guests at FW dock, steams forward less than -- I'd say a minute -- and docks again to pick up the RC guests?

I doubt it. Campers will be made to walk the extra distance to the RC dock.

Great post.

My thoughts on the DVC have evolved over time.

When I first heard about it, which was years ago now, I felt the way you did.

But over time, and especially after seeing the plans, I've come around.

The areas the Fort is losing aren't heavily used. I always visit the barn, the areas of River Country that are open to the public, and the open field next to Pioneer Hall every time I'm at the Fort.  But, I'm almost always the only one there.

What is left of River Country is an embarrassing eyesore.  It's not coming back.  That land is too valuable to just sit there unused, and it's too valuable to be used for a small waterpark. 

When, not if, this land is developed, I personally would rather see it developed in a way that it will add amenities that can be used by Fort guests.  Based on the size of the restaurants and surrounding decks, I don't believe these amenities are going to be limited to use by DVC guests.  So the Fort finally gets another quick serve restaurant.  And a bar with a deck overlooking Bay Lake.

Things change.

This isn't going to be the end of the world.

The DVC has its own dock, so we have to hope they get their own boat. In low season I fear it'd be one boat doing WL, RC then FW.

Good point, but see my response to the Troll, below.

Good point. Hadn't noticed the new dock. Odd that they would have two docks so close together. Perhaps they will consolidate to one? And that one would be at the DVC, most certainly.

Imagine...boat picks up guests at FW dock, steams forward less than -- I'd say a minute -- and docks again to pick up the RC guests?

I doubt it. Campers will be made to walk the extra distance to the RC dock.

I'm not so sure of this.

I can't imagine that they want a bunch of filthy campers walking through the resort just to go back and forth to the MK.

Looking at how they handle transportation at Bay Lake Tower and The Grand Floridian DVC's, I think they are going to make the DVC folks use the Fort dock for the MK.  It's not that far, and it keeps the unwashed masses out of their nice resort.  I think if we show up with money to spend at the restaurant or bar, that's another matter, but not just to walk through to get to the boat.

I would think we would also use their buses for the parks and we lose the front bus pickup.

I agree with you on this.

The bus stops are at the front of the new resort- campers wouldn't have to walk through to get there.

I don't think this would be that big a deal for campers.  In fact, it's probably going to be an improvement.  The Lodge and DVC would likely share buses.  As the Fort and Lodge do now.  The buses could just travel back and forth on Wilderness Way, instead of having to go all the way out of the Lodge and taking the long way to the Outpost like they do now.

This discussion made me note a big flaw on the plans.

They haven't done anything that I can see to improve the flow of golf carts and pedestrians from the intersection of Big Pine Dr. and Fort Wilderness Trail down to the Settlement area.  It looks like just the same little path.  That's not going to cut it. I agree that they would probably rent out golf carts to the DVC guests.  So, that means more carts in the Settlement.  The increased size of the golf cart parking areas on the plans suggest that they expect more carts.  But, the current path is inadequate.  That's why we have to endure the Idiot Rangers and their light sticks.  They need to put in a bigger cart path.  One that can accommodate two way traffic safely.  And, they should add a separate pedestrian walk-way adjacent to it.

TCD

Does it look like the DVC are planning on renting out boats?

The fort dock could be used just for rentals and a separate outside access path at the dvc for us campers to get to the boats.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

This is what i believe will happen also. One dock for MK and resort transport boats and one for rentals,excursions, fireworks cruises, etc.

The bus stops are at the front of the new resort- campers wouldn't have to walk through to get there.

I don't think this would be that big a deal for campers.  In fact, it's probably going to be an improvement.  The Lodge and DVC would likely share buses.  As the Fort and Lodge do now.  The buses could just travel back and forth on Wilderness Way, instead of having to go all the way out of the Lodge and taking the long way to the Outpost like they do now.

This discussion made me note a big flaw on the plans.

They haven't done anything that I can see to improve the flow of golf carts and pedestrians from the intersection of Big Pine Dr. and Fort Wilderness Trail down to the Settlement area.  It looks like just the same little path.  That's not going to cut it. I agree that they would probably rent out golf carts to the DVC guests.  So, that means more carts in the Settlement.  The increased size of the golf cart parking areas on the plans suggest that they expect more carts.  But, the current path is inadequate.  That's why we have to endure the Idiot Rangers and their light sticks.  They need to put in a bigger cart path.  One that can accommodate two way traffic safely.  And, they should add a separate pedestrian walk-way adjacent to it.

TCD

This is a really good point. If they are planning to move the bus stop for the Fort from the Outpost to the Settlement (which makes sense), then this could also account for the larger cart parking area because it will need to accommodate those carts that would have been ordinarily been parked up at the Outpost bus stop.

The current cart path definitely needs some enhancements. I wonder if it's not on these plans because it's not officially part of the DVC project? Which makes me wonder...what is the dividing line between these resorts, or is there one at all? The blending of these two, completely different lodging experiences is interesting to me. So much is shared that it's almost like it will be one resort instead of two. Which of the new things over at the DVC would be on the new Fort maps? Which items currently existing on the Fort map would no longer be there?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that The Fort seems to keep losing bits and pieces of itself, whether it's the lawnmower tree, log benches, covered wagons, or even River Country.  This time it's losing bits and pieces for another resort.  I just wonder how much more in the future The Fort will lose after this is built?  I guess I'm afraid that the encroachment of this will set a precedent that The Fort is the resort that can be stepped on.

I know there will be positives from this.  I also don't think this is just for DVC. 

About the bus stop, I also agree that it will be the primary bus stop for the Fort also, but I also have a feeling there will be buses going to the MK from there.

Does it look like the DVC are planning on renting out boats?

The fort dock could be used just for rentals and a separate outside access path at the dvc for us campers to get to the boats.

I think that dock at the DVC is more for show/ theming than it will be for actual transportation.

If you look at the overall plan in the first post above, you will see that the dock links up with what they call the Boat House and also the Barbecue Chickees.  I can't imagine that they want hundreds of Fort Wilderness guests walking through there just to get to and from the boats.  The walk from the easternmost buildings, where most of the guest rooms are, to the  current Fort dock is less distance than the current walk from the Settlement Bus Stop to the marina. 

I don't see an outside path through the DVC resort to the boat dock.

This is what i believe will happen also. One dock for MK and resort transport boats and one for rentals,excursions, fireworks cruises, etc.

Something like that.

I think the Fort dock will be the main transportation dock.

This is a really good point. If they are planning to move the bus stop for the Fort from the Outpost to the Settlement (which makes sense), then this could also account for the larger cart parking area because it will need to accommodate those carts that would have been ordinarily been parked up at the Outpost bus stop.

The current cart path definitely needs some enhancements. I wonder if it's not on these plans because it's not officially part of the DVC project? Which makes me wonder...what is the dividing line between these resorts, or is there one at all? The blending of these two, completely different lodging experiences is interesting to me. So much is shared that it's almost like it will be one resort instead of two. Which of the new things over at the DVC would be on the new Fort maps? Which items currently existing on the Fort map would no longer be there?

Good question.

It almost seems like Pioneer Hall/Trail's End are being incorporated into the new resort.  How will this area be shown on future Fort Wilderness maps?

I'll bet this area is shown on the map of the DVC resort as being part of the DVC.  Think about how that will help with sales- they can show all of the Settlement as an amenity of the DVC.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that The Fort seems to keep losing bits and pieces of itself, whether it's the lawnmower tree, log benches, covered wagons, or even River Country.  This time it's losing bits and pieces for another resort.  I just wonder how much more in the future The Fort will lose after this is built?  I guess I'm afraid that the encroachment of this will set a precedent that The Fort is the resort that can be stepped on.

I know there will be positives from this.  I also don't think this is just for DVC. 

About the bus stop, I also agree that it will be the primary bus stop for the Fort also, but I also have a feeling there will be buses going to the MK from there.

You are right.

A big chunk of the Fort is being lost.  But, it's just a relatively small part of one corner of the Fort.  Nothing in the loops is changing.

Before the 600 loop expansion and creation of premium sites, there was speculation that the Fort itself might one day be leveled to make way for a regular hotel resort.

I'm sure it's been discussed.

And that day may come.

But, with the money they've dumped into the "improvements' around the Fort in the past few years, and moving the barn and dining pavilion, it would seem that the Fort is going to be with us for a good while.

I agree with you- since the Lodge has an MK bus, there's no reason to think that the DVC won't.

TCD

Here's a thought, maybe that parking lot that I don't think is big enough for the size of the resort is really just for golf carts for us to have a place to park when we visit.  The real DVC parking garage is on the other side of the resort on some secret plans we have yet to find.  Yea that's it. 

This may have been brought up, but there has been so much crap on here about this resort, I really can't keep up

1. I agree with most that the DVC members will go to the fort dock to grab a boat. I think the dock at the resort will be like the rental dock at the poly and GF. I'm sure if this is a reality you will also see rental surey bikes coming from this area also

2. Has anyone mentioned the ironic thing of the new fort GM coming from the GF where one of the newest DVC expansion just happened? My theory is that he did a good job orchestrating the expansion there, why not here.

3. I think we need to remember that regular visitors to the CR, GF and now the poly thought the way we did about the DVC ruining their favorite place, but guess what, they all happened and everything is fine

4. Even though all the plans say 2011, I believe this will be built. Probably not soon, but f it does, after the poly expansion is done. It probably has taken from 2011 to get all this crap put together

This may have been brought up, but there has been so much crap on here about this resort, I really can't keep up

1. I agree with most that the DVC members will go to the fort dock to grab a boat. I think the dock at the resort will be like the rental dock at the poly and GF. I'm sure if this is a reality you will also see rental surey bikes coming from this area also

2. Has anyone mentioned the ironic thing of the new fort GM coming from the GF where one of the newest DVC expansion just happened? My theory is that he did a good job orchestrating the expansion there, why not here.

3. I think we need to remember that regular visitors to the CR, GF and now the poly thought the way we did about the DVC ruining their favorite place, but guess what, they all happened and everything is fine

4. Even though all the plans say 2011, I believe this will be built. Probably not soon, but f it does, after the poly expansion is done. It probably has taken from 2011 to get all this crap put together

Very good points.

I think you might be right about the thinking of moving the former GF manager over to the Fort.  What other reason would there be to move a guy from that type of resort over to the "Wilderness Region."  The guy apparently did a good job taking the heat and smoothing things over for outraged GF guests who paid top dollar to stay next to a construction zone.  After that, they probably figured dealing with a bunch of stupid campers would be a cake walk for this guy.

You are right about how things have apparently gone at the new DVC resorts which have been appended to existing resorts- apparently it hasn't really caused a problem.  I haven't heard any negative comments about the DVC's built at the Beach Club, AKL or the Contemporary- they have their own recreation areas, and bars.  The DVC guests haven't overrun the original resorts.  I don't see that happening here either.  I'm sure some of them will ride out into the campground on golf carts or surrey bikes, but most probably won't care.

And, I agree with you that all that has happened here is a delay in building this DVC resort.  Bay Lake Tower's sales apparently were strong enough to convince the DVC gurus to cash in on the other deluxe resorts first.  The River Country DVC is a much larger project, and may be a tougher sell.  What we've seen may be completely overhauled, but I don't think the footprint is going to change.

TCD

I've been reading along for awhile now and just wanted to add my two cents.

I like the idea of a DVC next to the Fort.

Of course we will have access to the restaraunts, bars etc. Disney builds these resorts, waterparks, DTD to keep us and our money on property. If they take away access to TE and crocketts we would simply get in our car and drive to a Chili's.

I hate to say it but we won't get to use the pool. I can't think of one resort that allows people from other resorts or locals to use their pool. Well except the Fort pool but that's another story.

I don't think CR guests can use the pool at BLT.

Also if to many non DVC members are in the lazy river they'll just do like they do at BC/YC.

I also think they'll keep the outpost bus stop. Could you imagine a resort that size and all it's guest plus the guests at the Fort trying to get on a bid at the same time. I think they might do something like at a few of the moderate resorts and have multiple bus stops.

Thank you and good day