“I can’t see through the windshield.” The GaDawgFans battle Mother Nature for a long weekend at the Fort

I’ve been thinking about how to start this trip report since our drive home yesterday. It was an interesting trip. I won’t say a bad trip because we had a great time and made some memories, but we definitely had our share of challenges. The plan for this trip was to hit Disney in the off-season. We figured we could drive down Wednesday after working part of the day, and then take 2 days off work. That would give us 3 full days at Disney and the Fort. Since it was going to be a quick trip and we’d be arriving at the Fort late, we’d rent a PUP from Fort Camper Rental, so we could save some gas money, get a cheaper site, and not have to set up and spend Sunday breaking camp.

Sounds like a good plan, right?

Well, Tuesday morning at about 4 AM, Z comes into my room. He’s burning up. Crap. I contact my work and let them know I won’t be coming in, give him some Advil, and let him sleep in my bed the rest of the night. When we wake up, he seems fine. No sniffles. No coughing. Nothing hurts. Weird.  I call his doctor and ask what they think we should do since we’re supposed to be leaving for Disney the next day. They said to wait to see if the fever returns. OK, sounds good.

Then the snow starts. And trip complications begin to build….

IMG_4309.jpg 

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Salt on the windshield is one of the most annoying things in the world. Sort of like people who wont start there TRs. Or people who pretend they finished their September TR and then add their new trip

Take your time and spread it out.  It's not like I have a report from Aaron to read or anything. 

Aaron you can start yours. We promise not to get the two trips confused when we are reading about them.

I'm in!

Excellent! And you're first!

First page bragging rights.   :jumpforjoy

First page, and only 2nd!

I'm in!

Boy, I'm sorry about the weather y'all got for your trip.

Of course, yesterday was beautiful.

TCD

The weather totally sucked. But we were at Disney, and Disney is one of my happy places. Overall, it was still a good trip. I was really hoping for some sunshine though. And the beautiful weather yesterday made it even harder to leave.

I'm in.

I was about to start uploading to PB for my TR but since you started, I can procrastinate more.

Good looking out Kelly!

Quit procrastinating and get on PB. Now.

I'm in!

Whoooo Hooo!

Uh Oh, gotta hear this one!

Glad you're here since I'll be talking about you! LOL!

Waiting to hear about the " wood".... :rofl2:

It was nice to see you guys again.

All the details regarding wood will be revealed. :)

Aaron you can start yours. We promise not to get the two trips confused when we are reading about them.

Right! Why is he using me as an excuse?

Count me in

Yay!!!

Are you trying to take away my excuse? :)

She is. And she should. Get busy.

I can't see anything yet!

Because there aren't any pictures? Or is your windsheild crudded up to?

Page one!

I'm glad I made page one.  Now that I established that on the last post, I can use this post to comment. 

Oh nuts, I hit the Post button without commenting.  What I wanted to say is.....nice snow picture. 

Oh, and sorry about taking up so much page one space.  I don't know how that always happens to me. 

I'm glad you're here. I was worried. I had planned to withhold the pood forn to get you involved, but now I don't have to. And I'll be talking about you when I get to Thursday.

I started uploading. It may take awhile though. I guess i'll settle in for this report.

Excuses. Excuses. Mine aren't all uploaded yet, and I started.

The beginning of this TR is text heavy. Sorry. If you don't like it, go read Aaron's TR. Oh wait.... 

Here we go.

The snow really came on slowly. I don’t care what the governor and mayor say. I was home with Z, so I was watching it all day. We were supposed to get an inch or two. I was actually excited because an inch or two usually means school will be cancelled but the roads will be fine once the sun comes up.

I got word our schools were releasing early. Bonus! I won’t have to use 8 hours of sick time for staying home with Z. Speaking of Z, his fever came back. I called his doctor, but they were closed for weather and predicting a delayed opening in the morning. Crap. Meanwhile, Jason was driving home from Augusta. And the snow wasn’t stopping. I was kind of worried.

I tried getting Z’s doctor to call in antibiotics since I knew he’d been exposed to strep at school and was now saying his throat hurt. They wouldn’t. The state of Georgia decided to save money this year by screwing with our insurance, so there are no urgent care places near me that take our insurance. Awesome. The more snow that came, the more we were worrying we wouldn’t make it to a doctor in the morning, so I decided to use a service called www.memd.com. For $50, they did an evaluation via webcam, and called in the prescription for me. Jason went to the store on the way home and picked it up.

Z woke up without a fever the next morning…. YAY! But the roads in Atlanta were TERRIBLE. On top of the snow, people had abandoned cars all over. We decided to wait and hope it melted some when the sun came out.

In the meantime, we did a little playing and sledding. Z doesn’t get to see snow much after all.

0AB6E75E-498A-436E-A0EE-1C2CDBB17413_1.j

451D6F61-4207-4F3A-936A-ADCFD678797E_1.j

ADB57497-A199-4657-A404-21507EAABD3F.jpg

DF599C14-0CDD-4AD0-AC3B-3045E149C445_1.j

We didn’t stay out long but had some fun. I was sad though because I was looking forward to putting up this.

05A421B3-EA8C-4B30-BA94-842B4CA467CE.jpg

Jason and I were keeping an eye on the news and Georgia Navigator. We were hoping for a short window to open up where the roads had pretty much thawed but we could get far enough South before dark.

The car was packed. And at 2:00, all the southbound roads we needed were open. So we got in the car and headed towards the Fort.

Spoiler alert.... we made it! But the trip down was interesting for sure! Pictures of Atlanta chaos in the next update.