So, when do they start taking all the old pines from the campsites?  They must be as old as those at the outpost, and one RV is likely more expensive than 4-5 carts.  Or maybe those are protected lizard/squirrel habitat?  Or maybe WDW had to pay for the broken carts, but does not plan to pay for broken RV's?

BTW, We have a stand of old pines in out back yard and have lost several over the years.  It's usually the ones standing somewhat alone that get snapped off about 20 feet above ground.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tired of all the negativity around here.   I'm going to look at the bright side.   I will have a clear and unobstructed view of the new Four Seasons as I pull through the check-in lanes.   TCD

Not exactly. During our weekly brunch, Joey, he prefers that over Jose, said that he got so many complaints last week about the lack of firewood, that he had to take action just to please those folks.

I was hoping they were going to say to it was for the new Monorail platform. :rofl3:

Makes me pine for the old Fort. 

I see what you did there   ;)

So, when do they start taking all the old pines from the campsites?  They must be as old as those at the outpost, and one RV is likely more expensive than 4-5 carts.  Or maybe those are protected lizard/squirrel habitat?  Or maybe WDW had to pay for the broken carts, but does not plan to pay for broken RV's?

BTW, We have a stand of old pines in out back yard and have lost several over the years.  It's usually the ones standing somewhat alone that get snapped off about 20 feet above ground.

Several years ago we were camped in our new Class C on the 1900 loop and had a tree fall on the front bunk area, destroying the bed and crushing it down onto the hood. Thank God no one was in it at the time, anyone in the bunk would have been seriously hurt or killed.   (FW worker bees were great to us, FW and Disney mngmt were awful but thats another post...)

Shortly after that (within a few weeks) was when Disney started to slash and burn all the underbrush and "extra" trees at the Fort.   We were told that the underbrush and heavy growth was causing the larger trees to rot and die..... ?

So they have a pattern of reacting like this in the past. 

About three years ago we had to disconnect and pack everything away and move temporarily so the Arborist could remove a pine tree at the back of our site.  It was leaning and a storm was expected that night.  The arbor crew helped us take everything down, and after the tree was gone, they helped us move back and set up again.  And if you have seen our Christmas sites, that was a big job. 500 loop as i recall.

I see what you did there ;)

Several years ago we were camped in our new Class C on the 1900 loop and had a tree fall on the front bunk area, destroying the bed and crushing it down onto the hood. Thank God no one was in it at the time, anyone in the bunk would have been seriously hurt or killed. (FW worker bees were great to us, FW and Disney mngmt were awful but thats another post...)

Shortly after that (within a few weeks) was when Disney started to slash and burn all the underbrush and "extra" trees at the Fort. We were told that the underbrush and heavy growth was causing the larger trees to rot and die..... ?

So they have a pattern of reacting like this in the past.

Just wondering what management said about that did they cover the damage

Since you asked....No, they didn't.  I was ultimately told that FLA law absolves Disney from any "Acts of God" that occur on their property and that it was strictly between me and my insurance co.   (one thousand dollar deductable...)

I say "ultimately" because it took several days of phone calls and having to demand a meeting with the Fort manager (who lacked ANY people skills whatsoever) to get any straight answers from anyone......

It ended up costing me several thousand dollars, a ruined vacation, 2 weeks of time (it happened the first night we were there, and then I had to take another week to drive back 2 months later to pick up the repaired camper), and worst of all a very disillusioned Fort Wilderness camper..... 

I will never look at Disney and FW the same way again, although I have moved on and did come back to the Fort after a few years of missing it. I agree w/ TCD's take that the Fort is a wonderful place being managed by idiots....  :)      It was my first lesson on how Disney and the Managers regard the campground and the campers in it.  IMHO if we had been guests at one of the hotels we would have been treated far differently......  :( 

IMHO if we had been guests at one of the hotels we would have been treated far differently...... 

That implies that the Fort is the only WDW resort being managed by idiots. I would have to strongly disagree.

The "Peter Principle" runs rampant at WDW as a whole.

Having worked for dozens of mangers over many years, it's sad to say, but only a handful of them stood out as being competent for the position they held.

That implies that the Fort is the only WDW resort being managed by idiots. I would have to strongly disagree.

The "Peter Principle" runs rampant at WDW as a whole.

Having worked for dozens of mangers over many years, it's sad to say, but only a handful of them stood out as being competent for the position they held.

Agreed.  No question there are plenty of "Peters" at WDW as a whole.  My comment was based on one of my many phone conversations during this ordeal where I got a mid-level person to admit that if my property had been damaged in a hotel, that Disney would "of course" reimburse me....!  (IIRC, my example to him was an expensive camera that ceiling tiles had fallen onto)

He went on to say that trees were different, and that even though they were owned by Disney, any damage caused by a tree falling was an "Act of God".....  To which I replied that if a tree at Epcot or the AK fell onto someone or something I would bet that Disney would be saying something different.

and that pretty much ended that conversation.....   ;)

I had a neighbors tree fall on a rent house during a storm. My insurance company (adjuster) said that it was an act of God and they would pay not my neighbors insurance even though it was on their property. I said, (not an exact quote) i just wish they would have taken that old tree down last year when a big branch came down on there back porch and they were told that the tree was dead. Well that changed everything and their insurance ended up paying.

So if your in a site that has a questionable looking tree complain about it so if something happens they might be liable. Key word might.

So now the question begs....

Are they going to put something there to replace it or shall we just go ahead and put the kiosk up for the 3000 loop that everyone is demanding?

I was thinking the same thing. It seems a perfect location for the 3000 loop Welcome Center and Check in.

Quit yer whinin. It's Disney World, not a stinkin campground. There's nothing in nature that Disney can't make better out of plastic.

Quit yer whinin. It's Disney World, not a stinkin campground. There's nothing in nature that Disney can't make better out of plastic.

It's funny you should say that, I was just reading a story on Yesterland about the original Fort Wilderness on Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland....  Disney built the actual Fort from real trees and had to eventually close it due to wood rot.  So they built the one at Disneyworld out of plastic logs...... !         :)

http://www.yesterland.com/fortwilderness.html

Good to know about the act of god clause. If you check our camping trip from 12' I had a huge tree branch land 3' away from my slide out. That was a bad camper trip. 3 AC units, water main break, roof leak and friends ended up getting sick. At the fort so I guess it wasn't that bad.