The TCD Gang Springs Forward at the Fort- A Spring Break 2014 TR

While I would normally wait and give everyone a chance to catch up, we have a long way to go any many photos to view, so this report is moving on.

It's still Friday morning.

The sun isn't really even up yet.

But it's coming.

I call this photo Sunrise over the Settlement Trading Post:

3614138_zps79d883c7.jpg

We haven't looked a River Country yet, so let's head there.

There were recently construction notices recorded in the Orange County Public Records indicating that work was about to begin on the old River Country dining pavilion, and on the roof of the old River Country ticket booth.

As you can see, however, no work has been done of the ticket booth roof in quite some time:

3614139_zpsb9af75fa.jpg

But, work has commenced on the pavilion.  There's a plastic fence here and everything:

3614140_zpsb3c1d785.jpg

That van we saw parked here in an earlier photo was still here, but headed out after I arrived:

3614141_zps5abe5d1c.jpg

Thirty years ago, guests waiting to enter River Country would have sat on these benches here.  Now, nobody does:

3614142_zps0808acec.jpg

I figured I ought to get as many photos of the River Country ticket booth roof as I could, inasmuch as it apparently is going to get a new, and presumably vegetation-free roof soon:

3614143_zps394852bc.jpg

Peering in to the old River Country entrance area, we can see that there are more plastic fences and construction tape.  Also note how there are new wood posts erected next to the old light fixtures:

3614144_zps78467acd.jpg

Even though it was barely past 7:30 am, there were men at work over by the pavilion:

3614145_zps344532af.jpg

Only the lamppost on the far right of that photo has a new wood post next to it.  I guess they will get some up next to the old lightposts.

The guys in hardhats and vests are in the back part of the pavilion-not in the seating area or near the stage:

3614146_zpse012e13b.jpg

3614147_zps445b5014.jpg

More new light post photos:

3614148_zps223c34d1.jpg

3614149_zps61be11ea.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new:

3614150_zps3f2250e4.jpg

A look back toward the entrance- you can see new posts here too:

3614151_zps4c9f3b4b.jpg

This area hasn't changed very much since River Country closed.  This used to be the first area that guests would walk in to upon entering River Country:

3614152_zps0871d678.jpg

One more shot of the workers doing whatever it is they are doing:

3614153_zpsb16a2ab5.jpg

These old lights don't have new posts next to them.  At least not yet:

3614154_zps684f4442.jpg

You see those circles there on the pavement?  That's where the legs to the old River Country water tower used to stand.  They tore it down and put it back up next to the Meadow(s) pool, slapped on a FWRR logo, and added a slide around it:

3614155_zps2434a5e6.jpg

Here we are outside the pavilion.  Look at those purple flowers growing on the fence there.  There are people reading this who are up to their eyeballs in snow, but here at the Fort, there are beautiful purple flowers growing wild:

3614156_zps1991f272.jpg

The pavilion has one of my favorite weather vanes on top of it:

3614157_zps350dd99b.jpg

Wait, here's a better photo of the weather vane:

3614158_zpsc90bcca9.jpg

And another look at those purple flowers:

3614159_zps944612ac.jpg

This is the path to the horse barn.  You used to be able to drive golf carts on this, but now it's off limits except on certain big holidays like the 4th of July and New Year's Eve when they use this as an overflow golf cart parking lot:

3614160_zpsd87ce2c0.jpg

A look at Bay Lake from here:

3614161_zps8c0265a6.jpg

Another wild flower that blooms this kind of year is the flame vine.  There are a bunch of those vines growing in the pine trees in this area.  Here's an orange flower on the ground (lower left) :

3614162_zps8ac03c41.jpg

A closer look:

3614163_zps75de5035.jpg

It doesn't look as bright orange as it actually is in that photo.

These vines like to grow high up in the trees:

3614164_zps2078115b.jpg

3614165_zps50318272.jpg

3614166_zpse8fee17d.jpg

You see this path here?  I like to walk down it.  Which is where we will begin the next update:

3614167_zpsbae9490b.jpg

TCD

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, leave Beckers alone, she knows exactly what she's doing. She's my new favorite Fiend.

I have seen them training docking at the Fort. That provided one of the best photos I've ever taken    

I love Agents of Shield. It's really the only show we watch as a family. They are getting ready to start a 7 episode run to the season finale this week! Can't wait! Off topic but my 10 year old dd is

Updates galore!

I dont think I have walked down the path in that last picture.....at least not in adulthood.

I could be wrong though.

Really looking forward to this next update to see what i am missing.

Thanks for the pics of green and flowers.

It was -11 with wind chill here this morning.

I stopped at the 400 loop to see if some Fiends who were staying there were up and about.  They weren't outside.  So, I took a photo of their likenesses which they had outside:

3614128_zps12a09313.jpg

If you know your Fiends, you'll know whose site that is. 

TCD

So my first thought upon seeing this picture was that I was going to post and say something like "not only do I know who's site that is, I have a picture of myself with that Snow White cutout!"

But....I can't honestly say that. 

Because here is the picture of myself I was referring to, taken at the Defeated Creek GG two years ago.

2012-09-23+10.32.21.jpg

And what do you notice about the Snow White cutout I'm posing with? 

It's a different one than the one in TCD's photo. 

Which means that Grumpy Dave owns at least TWO Snow White cutout. 

And y'all think I have a problem with her?

I figured you would stretch this report out, since you need to wait until 3/21 to post your secret.  But I am happy to read another update today and amble around FW with the Great TCD.

No need to stretch things out.  3/21 is just a week away.  The TCD twins haven't even woken up on our first morning at the Fort. 

Looking ahead, the next update will have 30 more early morning Fort photos.

The one after that, we will finally be heading out to a park.

But, this thing isn't going to be anywhere near done by 3/21.  Even if I hurry.

Updates galore!

I dont think I have walked down the path in that last picture.....at least not in adulthood.

I could be wrong though.

Really looking forward to this next update to see what i am missing.

Thanks for the pics of green and flowers.

It was -11 with wind chill here this morning.

Really?  That path/sidewalk is right next to the River Country ticket booth.  It goes down to the beach.  You've never walked on it?

Sorry about the windchill.  If it makes you feel any better, I did have to use the heat (on low) for the nights on this trip.

I like your early morning photos too. Most of those fences and stuff at the pavillion are located next to where the buffets are. Maybe they're updating those or something? Who knows.

Grumpy Dave has reported that they are replacing the buffet lines.  That's where all the workers were concentrated when I checked on things.

Glad to hear there are no bats in the BABH.  If you had run into any residents of that home, I'd be done for.

I also love the early morning quiet Fort pics.

The bats will move in soon.

You'll need to stay on the 300 loop.

No going back by the canal.

Goodness I just finished the NYE trip report. Looks like I have more reading material. I may be a few days late, but I'm in! 

Welcome.  Glad you could make it.

Yeah, you've got some reading to do.

So my first thought upon seeing this picture was that I was going to post and say something like "not only do I know who's site that is, I have a picture of myself with that Snow White cutout!"

But....I can't honestly say that. 

Because here is the picture of myself I was referring to, taken at the Defeated Creek GG two years ago.

2012-09-23+10.32.21.jpg

And what do you notice about the Snow White cutout I'm posing with? 

It's a different one than the one in TCD's photo. 

Which means that Grumpy Dave owns at least TWO Snow White cutout. 

And y'all think I have a problem with her?

That is a great dam post.

And an amazing revelation.

One Snow White cut-out, I can understand.  But two? 

That is a little worrisome.

For that matter, how do we know it's only two?

TCD

Dude, the pics are awesome.

Not sure about anybody else, but I "do" find the bottom of the BABH interesting. When would I ever see that otherwise.

How the heck do you stay up until the wee hours, get the delivery truck wake up calls, get up before the sun, and still have the juice to deliver such an awesome photo safari narrative.

It reminds me of a Seinfeld. Kramer had read that Da Vinci (I think) only slept 10 mins every hour. Hope you deal with the lack of sleep better than Kramer did. ;)

Odd fact: I think they used to sell the "Kramer" portrait in the gift shop as you exited the backlot tour.

I do not believe i have ever been on that sidewalk, nor have i been on the path to WL.

The path by the old ticket window is short.  You will need to walk it the next time you're at the Fort.  If the River Country DVC is ever built, a giant building will be built right on top of that path.

The WL path is better to bike than walk.  We will need to figure out how to get bikes for your family on your next visit.  Those WL waffles taste extra good after a bike ride.

Great dam update.

I'd be glad to school your girls in the art of humor appreciation.   :))

Deal.

What city has the closest bus station to you?

Maybe if the tree grow a little taller we won't be able to see that abomination.

True.  Another 50 years, and we'll be fine.

What was I making such a fuss about?

I THINK I KNOW THE BIG SECRET!!! Should I post my guess or do people want to keep guessing without others guesses? I feel confident in my guess.

Hmmmm?

I think you should send me a PM, and I'll let you know if you're right.

Anyone else who wants to guess can do so as well.

When I get to the part where I can share the secret, bragging rights will be awarded.

I'm agreeing with DIT on this. The 2 Snow White cutouts is a little concerning.

A "little" concerning?

I am alarmed!

Worried.

Disturbed.

And, as I said above, how do we know there are only two?

We need to keep an eye on Grumpy.

Dude, the pics are awesome.

Not sure about anybody else, but I "do" find the bottom of the BABH interesting. When would I ever see that otherwise.

How the heck do you stay up until the wee hours, get the delivery truck wake up calls, get up before the sun, and still have the juice to deliver such an awesome photo safari narrative.

It reminds me of a Seinfeld. Kramer had read that Da Vinci (I think) only slept 10 mins every hour. Hope you deal with the lack of sleep better than Kramer did. ;)

Odd fact: I think they used to sell the "Kramer" portrait in the gift shop as you exited the backlot tour.

Now, there's another dam good post.

You are the master of attempted hijacks.

To tell you the truth, I don't get much sleep at the Fort.  I am wiped out when I get home.  But that's how I roll.  I can sleep all I want at home.   I am not going to waste precious Fort time in the rack.

We too have not walked that path or the one to the WL.  I think we would need bikes for the WL one.

The BABH is cool.  I want to see the bats.

You don't need bikes to conquer the WL trail, but it's better on bikes.

I want to see the bats too.  I wonder when and if any will take up residence there.

TCD

The path by the old ticket window is short.  You will need to walk it the next time you're at the Fort.  If the River Country DVC is ever built, a giant building will be built right on top of that path.

The WL path is better to bike than walk.  We will need to figure out how to get bikes for your family on your next visit.  Those WL waffles taste extra good after a bike ride.

Deal.

What city has the closest bus station to you?

True.  Another 50 years, and we'll be fine.

What was I making such a fuss about?

Hmmmm?

I think you should send me a PM, and I'll let you know if you're right.

Anyone else who wants to guess can do so as well.

When I get to the part where I can share the secret, bragging rights will be awarded.

A "little" concerning?

I am alarmed!

Worried.

Disturbed.

And, as I said above, how do we know there are only two?

We need to keep an eye on Grumpy.

Now, there's another dam good post.

You are the master of attempted hijacks.

To tell you the truth, I don't get much sleep at the Fort.  I am wiped out when I get home.  But that's how I roll.  I can sleep all I want at home.   I am not going to waste precious Fort time in the rack.

You don't need bikes to conquer the WL trail, but it's better on bikes.

I want to see the bats too.  I wonder when and if any will take up residence there.

TCD

Hope BABH works better than Perky's on Sugarloaf Key did. Built in the 1920s and till does not have a bat in it.

Hope BABH works better than Perky's on Sugarloaf Key did. Built in the 1920s and till does not have a bat in it.

LOL.

Give it some time.

There are some things that can't be rushed.

All kidding aside, I am interested to see if any bats move in.

As far as I know, there isn't that big of a bat population at the Fort.  The existing bat houses never seemed to be occupied to me.  I know they've had bats in the bus stops, some of the cabins, and the Bike Barn.  But all of them put together wouldn't come close to filling the BABH.

TCD

I wonder how many bats could fit in there?

You really don't want to know that.  You may never camp at the Fort again.  

True.

That BABH is at least as big as the bat house that they built on the campus of the University of Florida, where thousands of bats fly out every night at dusk.  If it wasn't already dusk, they would block the sun, and plunge the campus into darkness.

Get ready for that on the 300 loop.

If any bats ever show up, that is.

TCD