Las Vegas-Disneyland-Memphis & More!!!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picking up the tickets at North Island and have our room ressies at Grand Californian...

I see how you are planning on getting your post count up.  Post one picture at a time.     Shameless.     Your DD is a cutie pie, by the way.  

Pretty sure that can be said about all fiend men...

Well we left Disneyland and are heading to Little Rock, Arkansas to see the Presidential Library.

But I just noticed that the last two times we were at Disneyland both fell on St Paddy's Day. And I'm not even Irish.

We arrived in Little Rock on 18th of March and checked into the Embassy Suites. Had dinner at a pretty good sushi place across the street from our hotel. And the next morning we hit the library.

Pictured is DD and her younger cousins.

e3ebe6e8-01a1-4468-974b-41444683723d_zps

FIL couldn't wait to get in.

image_zpse16b690c.jpg

The grounds are really nicely done.

image_zps8a855836.jpg

I think some of you have RVs and if look across the river you'll see a nice campground. What a view those rv's have of the Arkansas River.

image_zps09fc3efe.jpg

Heres a closer look at the rv's.

57ee8139-62b1-4275-bee1-ac2ef411ebcf_zps

DW and FIL on the bridge looking back at the library. Someone, I'm not going to say who, said the library looks like a double wide trailer down by the River. Lol.

I have to agree.

image_zps27ca87a7.jpg

Here's a great shot of downtown Little Rock from the library bridge.

image_zps811fa9a6.jpg

One of the first things you see is an actual Presidential limo. I couldn't get a good picture of it as there was tons of school age kids there but my DW got this shot going up the stairs.

image_zps37976a63.jpg

They had a neat mock up of the cabinet room at the White House.

image_zps11e5fbed.jpg

And here the Oval Office. I wish I would have taken notes but if I remember correctly they said that is a exact copy of the Lincoln's desk. (I think it was Lincoln's). Also they said that all the small personal items and pictures were real and were from the Clinton's collection.

image_zpsd33d3949.jpg

Another shot of the Oval Office.

image_zps28fa85a2.jpg

And one more Oval office picture. Can you tell I really liked the Oval Office. One day I'd like to be able to tour the actual White House someday.

image_zps80112b0f.jpg

They had a display of different White House pets that various past presidents had. DD thought it was the best part of the library.

image_zps8f7ae831.jpg

The Little Rock Nine was probably my favorite part of the library. It's a great part of our nations history. If your not familiar with them google it. It's worth the effort.

image_zps88dc08e1.jpg

They had a exhibit showcasing the spy's, villains, and terrorists in the. US. From the revolutionary war to today. It was really hard to explain to my DD(9) what the KKK was all about but I think she got it and I don't think I scared her. As most of you know I live in Oklahoma and was living here when that terrorist, I refuse to mention his name, blew up the Alfred P. Murrah building in downtown OKC. It was a very hard time for all Oklahomans as most of us knew someone or knew someone that knew someone that died that day. Presidnet Clinton was in office when this happened and they had a display about it and this fireman's helmet was part of it. It was signed by the Deer Creek Volunteer Fire Department. And it became personal, again, for me as one of the signees, Randy Poindexter is from our little town of only 1500 people.

image_zps0f7d79f2.jpg

I'm not going to bore you with more pictures of the library. I do highly recommend seeing it when you in Little Rock.

Everyone was hungry so we went downtown to grab a bite to eat. This was an awesome restaurant and you should try it. As a matter of fact it was so good I failed to get pix of the food.

image_zpsa4cfdceb.jpg

They had quite a selection of seafood, Cajun, and southern food. From Alligator tail, crawfish, oysters, and shrimp. Yummy!!!

image_zpsb2501ae1.jpg

It had a great atmosphere and food. We had a great time.

image_zps61a47a55.jpg

After our late lunch/early dinner we past by the house were my DD lived in as a newborn up until she was 2 yrs old. And we drove by the State capital before we had to get back to the hotel for the Manager's reception. Free beer!!!

image_zpsb4815df9.jpg

Ok that's enough for Little Rock. The next morning we got up and drove to Memphis TN. Memphis will have to wait for the next update. Stay tuned as I did get some great Pood Forn in Memphis, pix of Beale Street, and over two hundred pictures from Graceland. Don't worry I won't post all of the Graceland pictures. Lol.

OK, Ray, I'm caught up, feel free to proceed.

I've never even thought about visiting a Presidential Library, but this one you visited looked very interesting.  I guess I'll have to wait for the Marco Rubio library in Miami.

Looking forward to the Memphis photos. I have a sister who moved there a couple of years ago.  I want to visit there when I get a chance.

TCD

Ok now comes the part I want to read about. Always interested in other peoples thoughts on Memphis. I left in 1984 and every time I go back reaffirms my decision to leave. Lots of neat stuff to see and do but a lousy place to live.

Loved the Disneyland pics, hope to get there one day. Enjoyed the Clinton library as well, cool to see the replica of the Oval Office. It makes me realize I should probably go to the JFK library as it's only about 20 minutes from my house and I haven't been there since I was a kid.

Ok now comes the part I want to read about. Always interested in other peoples thoughts on Memphis. I left in 1984 and every time I go back reaffirms my decision to leave. Lots of neat stuff to see and do but a lousy place to live.

Had a great time there in 1969 (NAS Millington) of course there were places you didn't or wouldn't visit. The best times were when we'd go to Graceland and Elvis would ride his horse down to the gate to visit. Also a visit to Memphis wasn't complete with out watching the "Peabody ducks"..

OK, Ray, I'm caught up, feel free to proceed.

I've never even thought about visiting a Presidential Library, but this one you visited looked very interesting. I guess I'll have to wait for the Marco Rubio library in Miami.

Looking forward to the Memphis photos. I have a sister who moved there a couple of years ago. I want to visit there when I get a chance.

TCD

Thanks. I've been waiting to do my next update.

The library was defineltly worth the visit.

Rubio 2016?

Go see your sister!

And get some really good, I mean really good BBQ.

I have to agree with you. Memphis is a great place to visit. Some of the nicest people I've met in a long a time. But I don't think I could live there. For one, I don't want to live in any city.

Loved the Disneyland pics, hope to get there one day. Enjoyed the Clinton library as well, cool to see the replica of the Oval Office. It makes me realize I should probably go to the JFK library as it's only about 20 minutes from my house and I haven't been there since I was a kid.

Thanks. I enjoyed sharing the pix. You should go see it again. I know the next time I get the opportunity to go to a presidential library. I'm going.

Had a great time there in 1969 (NAS Millington) of course there were places you didn't or wouldn't visit. The best times were when we'd go to Graceland and Elvis would ride his horse down to the gate to visit. Also a visit to Memphis wasn't complete with out watching the "Peabody ducks"..

I really wanted to see the ducks. But no one else had any real interest in seeing them. Maybe next time.

Alright we made it Memphis.

image_zpsbd7f1366.jpg

I always love seeing the Mississippi River. I guess it the Huck Finn in me.

image_zpsc0d073f7.jpg

Checked into our hotel, yes an embassy suites.

We all got situated in our rooms, and we were ready for an early dinner so we could get for the 5:30 pm managers reception.

We thought about going downtown but it would take to long to get there, eat and get back early enough to hit the reception and to let the kids go swimming.

Where to eat?

A lot of people ask the manager, or the concierge. Not me. When I want good local food I go ask the experts...the doorman, bellman, or maintenance man. They always know were to get good food at a reasonable price. Well the doorman didn't let us down. I asked for good. BBQ and he immediately said Germantown Commissary. So that where we went.

image_zps199e8b2a.jpg

These are some of nieces, and one nephew that were all ready to eat.

image_zps5ff464ab.jpg

Well to my surprise there was something unexpected on the menu. Something I've only heard about but didn't know it really existed. But this is Memphis. It must a typo. No it wasn't a typo and I finally got my first taste of....

image_zps95bf9040.jpg

Did you figure out what it was?

No?

It makes me want to move to Georgia.

Yes it Brunswick stew. Omg! You've got to try it.

It's basically a beef stew with tomatoes. But, oh, it's so much more and oh so tasty.

image_zps384d933a.jpg

I shared a bowl with my DW and we also decided to split the "Boss Hog".

What's the. Boss Hog you ask?

It a big plate of BBQ love.

Pork ribs, BBQ pork, smoked sausage, and chicken. It came with some slaw, beans and a deviled egg. Fortunately my BIL's meal came with a deviled egg also so me and DW didn't have to fight over it.

image_zps447e3c8e.jpg

After dinner we tried several of their cakes and pies, and they were awesome. Sorry they were too good to stop and take pictures.

Well we made it back to the hotel hung out with manager for a while and let the kids go swimming. We had a big day tomorrow and before we knew it was time for bed. For tomorrow we would be in the promised land. Better known as...

b3d2f6fc-1fd9-437e-9a53-2c5288260437_zps

Well before we go inside I thought some of you might like this picture.

image_zps1b297e4e.jpg

I honestly don't remember, that was over 20 years ago. I'm guessing 91 or 92. It was back when we thought we were going to go somewhere special for our anniversary every year. That flew out the window after 2 or 3 years. It was fun when the boys were little to have a weekend away, then the kids sports and scouts got in the way, and now that we are empty nesters, we don't necessarily need to travel exactly on our anniversary weekend.

I honestly don't remember, that was over 20 years ago. I'm guessing 91 or 92. It was back when we thought we were going to go somewhere special for our anniversary every year. That flew out the window after 2 or 3 years. It was fun when the boys were little to have a weekend away, then the kids sports and scouts got in the way, and now that we are empty nesters, we don't necessarily need to travel exactly on our anniversary weekend.

DW and I try to do go somewhere on our anniversary also. But it's usually spent at Disneyworld. We love to go to Disney at Christmas so it works out well as our anniversary is the 31st of December.