Hi all! I'm an experienced Disney goer and an experienced tent camper, but have never done the two at once. Please give me tips on sites for a large tent as well as any other words of wisdom on staying at the fort (do we really need a golf cart, etc.) We will be staying July 20th-24th and will have an 8 & 9 year old with us. Thanks in advance!

Hi all! I'm an experienced Disney goer and an experienced tent camper, but have never done the two at once. Please give me tips on sites for a large tent as well as any other words of wisdom on staying at the fort (do we really need a golf cart, etc.) We will be staying July 20th-24th and will have an 8 & 9 year old with us. Thanks in advance!

First off Welcome!

The tent pop up sites are all big enough for a good size tent. I am sure others with more experience than I on that wil chime in with more. 

As far as a golf cart you do not "need" one. However they are a lot of fun and can make getting around faster and easier, as long as you remember to keep it charged. 

I hope you have a great time!

Just some things to be aware of at the Fort, bring plenty of extension cords, you will have plenty of electricity. If you do any cooking at your campsite, and therefore wash dishes, you will need to haul your dish water to the bath house (comfort station) to dump. (No grey water disposal stations)

No open fires at the campsites. You can bring a firepit IF it has a solid metal top, but you can't have a regular fire.

There is a charcoal grill at each site.

Get some disposable painters plastic to put under your regular ground cloth on your tent, then throw that stuff away at the end of the trip. It will save the bottom of your tent and the bottom of your ground cloth from getting really nasty with the coquina sand.

Since you tent camp, you may know this, but bring a set toiletries for each of you so that you can all shower at the same time.

FIrst of all Welcome-029.gif

And since we've never stayed in a tent can't help at all except to say you probably want to avoid the premium sites. Also as other's have said, unless your old like us you probably don't "need" a golf cart, but it would be fun.

:welcome:

The Fort has two "tent" loops (although I think you may be able to rent any loop, with just a tent, if you're willing to pay the money).  We've stayed in one of the tent loops, loop 1500 and had a HUGE (3 room) tent.  PLENTY of room for both our tent and our large (12' x 12') canopy. 

I agree with the other fiends...golf cart is not necessary, but they are A LOT of fun :)   If you can bring them, bikes will make your travels around the Fort easier.

Also, try to have one day as a "Fort Day".  There really is a lot to do at the campground itself.

Have fun!

We have a huge tent and just fit on the tent sites in the 1500 loop.  We can usually shift it this way or that to get the majority of our tent on the site but that may move where the front is.  We also have our EZ-up.  In July bring a fan or two or three or a window AC.  1500 is our favorite because of how close it is to everything.  You don't need a GC but again it is fun!

FYI...I've given up my tent in favor of renting a pop up while at the Fort.  Makes me oh so much happier!

After many years of staying in the cabins, then just staying in off property hotels because the cabins got to be too pricey, we purchsed a tent last year.  Last time we had "camped" we had 4 kids, a small pop up and were 25 years younger. 

Now it was the two of us, two granddaughters (4 and 8 ) and a couple of daughters on part of the trips.  The oldest granddaughter really really wanted to camp so we purchesed a used Coleman 10 X 14 EZ Up tent.

Our first trip they put us in the 1800 loop and didn't charge us extra.  That one had a larger concrete pad and a smaller sand pad but the tent fit fine.

The next trip was the 1500 loop, and the last one was the 2000 loop.  Each time we had no problems fitting the tent in the sand and had plenty of room for everything else.  We were able to fit 2 vehicles on the cement pads and still have room.

You say you are experienced, so the below may be redundant if you are a FL camper.

Tarps!  They can be your best friend during the FL rainy season.  Our tent didn't have a rainfly so we used a tarp strung to the trees the first 2 trips.  By the last trip I had purchased a large tarp and using some metal conduit for poles I had a pavilion over the top of the tent with enough room on one end to keep a couple of chairs dry.

Smaller tarps can keep bikes dry, provide shade, keep items hidden etc.

The plastic under the tent that mouseketab carol mentioned is a good idea, not necessasarily for dryness, but keeping the sand off the bottom when repacking.  I wish I had thought of that.

Broom for sweeping out the sand.  Rug/mats outside of the tent entrance for wiping feet.  The coquina sand sticks to everything and is a course sand.

Fishing poles... adults share with the kids because you won't have time to fish if they are.

Fans are a great idea.  We didn't have any and survived.  By morning the inside of the tent will be chilly, but the fans would've been good at turn in time.

Your favorite bug deterrent.  Flies and mosquitos are at the Fort.  Disney can't control everything.

Buying groceries at the Fort will be $$$$.

There are some nearby grocery stores off site, especailly if you go out the back roads.

Ice at the fort is $$$ and the stuff you get from the machines at the comfort stations is soft and runny.  Someone mentioned in another post that they have better ice at the meadow trading post.

But the number one rule is HAVE FUN and let the kids set the pace.  If they are happy you and everyone around you will be happy.

This is great info. Thanks.I loke the idea of the drop cloths. So does it rain hard during the showers. And is it normal for every day? We will be there July 1-12. We dont gekt that much rain during the summer, but donget occassional summer storms with some strong winds. Is that whatbthe rains are like?

Look for our sign somewhere in the 800 loop( I hope) and stop by July 4th for a Fiend gathering and with your screen name you will be highly welcomed!!![/quote

So cool, it would be great to meet ya'll. Will it be a Fort Fiends sign? What time are ya'll gathering?

Yes it is a official For Fiend sign that we PROUDLY display, probably towards the dinner time and then gather at the beach for the 4th of July fireworks!!!!

This is great info. Thanks.I loke the idea of the drop cloths. So does it rain hard during the showers. And is it normal for every day? We will be there July 1-12. We dont gekt that much rain during the summer, but donget occassional summer storms with some strong winds. Is that whatbthe rains are like?

Rain in Florida can be unpredictable at best.  The showers can pop up suddenly, can be widespread or very localized.  They can be mild or windy as heck.  On one of our trips we had our tarp rip down before we had a chance to finish setting it up.  Summer is the rainy season in FL.  The rains can be very heavy at times.   As the saying goes Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.