Curious if when you store your camper, is it covered?  Tell me how and where (state) you store yours.  Originally our plan was to store our camper in the driveway with a a tarp over it... but I'm wondering, is the the tarp really necessary?  Does it provide good protection or is that protection not needed if I keep the trailer waxed and roof conditioned?

We live in Georgia...so lots of rain, sun and humidity.

Thoughts fiends?

This is weird.  My husband and I were JUST discussing the very same thing this weekend.  Our camper/travel trailer is "inherited" and is showing a bit of wear.  It wasn't stored covered.  I think we should purchase a tarp/cover to protect it a bit but DH wants to go whole-hog and have a canopy/carport installed for the camper to help insure longevity.  !!

Is it worth the cost to purchase a "camper cover" designed for that specific purchase or is it okay to use a huge tarp and just keep it well ventilated?  I'd love to know what you decided to do!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, when we lived in Atlanta we found the mountains of western North Carolina and decided that would be our retirement home.  So, we found 3 acres with 450' on a native trout stream and built a home

We replace the camper tires every four years, period.....   Of course, I can do that for around $200 on mine, so it's cheap insurance

We were going to store ours at a friend's farm but it is about 45 minutes from our home and it just wasn't feasible. So now we store it in an outside storage facility 10 minutes from our home. We are in Ohio and it is uncovered, probably should be covered but we don't cover it. 

Our TT is uncovered in our Florida driveway. I recently learned the hard way about the need for tire covers. My tires looked dry rotted after only a couple years due to the sun exposure. The unexposed insides and the covered spare were in pristine condition. The best deal I found was amazon.com, Campco 45322 vinyl covers. I am pleased with the quality.

Our TT is uncovered in our Florida driveway. I recently learned the hard way about the need for tire covers. My tires looked dry rotted after only a couple years due to the sun exposure. The unexposed insides and the covered spare were in pristine condition. The best deal I found was amazon.com, Campco 45322 vinyl covers. I am pleased with the quality.

Thanks for the feedback on the camco product!  I think we'll pick up a couple of these :)

I miss the food!

CH is about 10 mins from me.

I miss the food! I have found a great cheese steak place down here in Orlando as well as a terrific Italian restaurant. Still missing diners though. However, I'm mourning the recent demise by fire of the Crystal Lake Diner in Haddon Township. We would have breakfast there every trip back up.

Where in South Jersey? I grew up in Cherry Hill and moved to Florida from Haddon Township.

CH is about 10 mins from me.

I always considered Cherry Hill to be North Jersey until some friends of mine corrected me.  He said Cherry Hill is still considered South Jersey.  I guess I can't consider everything north of me to be "North Jersey"  lol  I'm down in Cumberland County, in Vineland.  

I always considered Cherry Hill to be North Jersey until some friends of mine corrected me.  He said Cherry Hill is still considered South Jersey.  I guess I can't consider everything north of me to be "North Jersey"  lol  I'm down in Cumberland County, in Vineland.  

That definitely qualifies as South Jersey! If the sports allegiance is to Philly, that's South Jersey. :)

That definitely qualifies as South Jersey! If the sports allegiance is to Philly, that's South Jersey. :)

True!  

I also thought there was just South Jersey and North Jersey, but then my brother in law, who grew up near Freehold, told me that they are in "Central Jersey".  Who knew!  lol

• 8 months later...

I keep ours in a custom built three stall garage. Here is a construction picture:

toyboxfront.jpg

That was our last Fiver. It was stored in this garage the whole time we had it while not in use. When I traded it in on the new toy hauler in November, at 7 years old, the dealer asked me when I had the roof replaced and I replied "Never, that is the original roof." He stated it looked brand new. That is what keeping it protected will do. The garage was built to match the house and as it always goes, it was not built large enough. I wish it was 5 feet deeper and 10 feet wider.

I keep ours in a custom built three stall garage. Here is a construction picture:

toyboxfront.jpg

That was our last Fiver. It was stored in this garage the whole time we had it while not in use. When I traded it in on the new toy hauler in November, at 7 years old, the dealer asked me when I had the roof replaced and I replied "Never, that is the original roof." He stated it looked brand new. That is what keeping it protected will do. The garage was built to match the house and as it always goes, it was not built large enough. I wish it was 5 feet deeper and 10 feet wider.

This is why I need to move from Jersey. We'd have to demo our house to be able to build that.

That's a sweet looking set up

toyboxfront.jpg

Very nice!!!!!!!! I'm jealous.

toyboxfront.jpg

We have been looking for the perfect piece of property to build our next home, and one of my driving factors (there are several) is to have a building like yours for my motorhome and other toys, plus for INC's workshop for her business.  The only reason we haven't done it yet is we aren't ready to move the kids, as we need to go out a bit to afford land.  Property around us is over $100,000 an acre.  If we go 20 minutes southeast of us it runs $25-30,000/acre.  Big difference!  Haven't found the right spot yet, but we will in time.  

We have been looking for the perfect piece of property to build our next home, and one of my driving factors (there are several) is to have a building like yours for my motorhome and other toys, plus for INC's workshop for her business.  The only reason we haven't done it yet is we aren't ready to move the kids, as we need to go out a bit to afford land.  Property around us is over $100,000 an acre.  If we go 20 minutes southeast of us it runs $25-30,000/acre.  Big difference!  Haven't found the right spot yet, but we will in time.  

Bob had a great house for sale with a shop........... You missed out

I am in a rural area and land here is from $5k an acre to $15K an acre depending on how many acres and whether it is all dry or swampy. I have 67 acres, of which about 18 is high and dry to build on. My property was an inheritance and when it was bought, cost $500 per acre. The majority of the property is horse and cow pasture along with a 4 acre pond.